PDA

View Full Version : Transporting shotgun

Ken.k
09-15-2012, 6:19 AM
As CA law stands today does a long gun need to be in a case or locked when transporting? (I don't have a trunk).

EXTREMEOPS1
09-15-2012, 6:36 AM
The California Department of Justice admits that long arms are NOT covered by CA PC 12025. Therefore they do not have to be locked, simply unloaded (with no ammunition attached to the firearm). You do NOT have to keep it in a case. You do NOT have to keep it in a trunk. Simple.

Be advised that local regulations might complicate the picture.

Practically speaking, it is a better idea to keep it cased and in the trunk (although again, it's wrong to say that you MUST do so). First, you minimize liability if someone breaks into your vehicle and then injures themselves or others with your unsecured firearm (plus you give people less incentive to break into your vehicle in the first place). Second, police officers actually have a pretty poor understanding of the law, and they're likely to make a big deal over it. So if you were to seek counsel, they'd probably tell you to just keep it in the trunk unless you had a very compelling reason for not doing so.

EDIT- As the CA DoJ explains, you may have it in the cabin of your car, unlocked, uncased, and unloaded. That's the legal side of it. While it may be sensible to have it locked and cased, it's not required by the law.

In terms of its usefulness to deter crime and carjacking, that's a bit more suspect. The disadvantage we have in self-defense (versus self-offense) is that we can never draw before the criminal. They get to choose where and when they want to engage you. This means that it's unlikely that an unloaded shotgun can be loaded quickly enough for self-defense (defense of others is a different story of course).

You might also want to consider the liabilities of appearing armed. A thief might break into your vehicle if they see an expensive shotgun lying there. A carjacker may just decide to shoot you first, instead of a mere beating before he takes your vehicle. Being armed is our right, but it's also a very risky burden.

Mongoblack23
09-15-2012, 6:50 AM
so what he is saying is, NO. it doesnt need to be locked, simply unloaded. but use common sense and at least put it out of sight...

Ken.k
09-15-2012, 7:00 AM
Thanks. Common sense used always. Have no desire for people to see it or make some kind of statement with it anyway.

AE102
09-15-2012, 7:04 AM
Just get a cheap case or bag and put a lock on it. Most ranges will probably want you to walk into their business that way anyways.

CharlesV
09-15-2012, 4:25 PM
My usual policy is trunk, cased, unloaded, no ammo nearby, lock, with other light stuff piled on top. Its more protected than hidden athough even a casual thief wont see it.

Even if the law allows, it sends the wrong message to the world to carry an uncased longgun in plain view across the dashboard of your car or truck, for example. What are you trying to tell people, and the LEOs? You just invite awful stuff and I almost guarantee a bad day.

Irregardless of the written law its best never to push or pressure your luck. Be purposely overcautious and show overboard responsibilty because we dont live in a black and white world and the greys are going to stick it to you where the sun doesnt shine, i promise you that.

Donk310
09-15-2012, 4:28 PM
so what he is saying is, NO.

I like it.:D K.I.S.S.