PDA

View Full Version : Cant wait! Just bought first handgun

oneeyebear
09-14-2012, 11:54 PM
I have been waiting for years to get a handgun and yesterday a friend and myself decided to impulse buy the sw mp 9

We both got the black ones so i am wondering, while i have to do the grueling 10 day wait - which actually is 11 for me since the shop i bought from is closed Mondays - is there anything i can look into getting for this gun that will make it a little different then my friends? Both internals or externals doesn't matter, i just need something to distract me from the wait =D

Velio
09-15-2012, 12:16 AM
You can look into night sights, an apex trigger, IR maybe a duracoat job for the lower half.

Whatisthis?
09-15-2012, 12:49 AM
If it's your first handgun and not going to be used as primary defensive uses, I would leave it stock besides possibly night sights. If it is immediately going to be used for HD or anything else, I would suggest one of the APEX parts to get a noticeable trigger reset. I would learn to shoot the stock trigger before you get the APEX kit that actually lightens and smooths the trigger out. The stock trigger is easily shootable, with the only downside being that reset.

So, when it comes down to it: night sights, ammo, extra mags, and maybe a holster depending on your use.

LAKings22
09-15-2012, 1:03 AM
A new light or laser/light and night sights for sure

Mandpftw
09-15-2012, 1:26 AM
Magazines while they're available

oneeyebear
09-15-2012, 3:16 AM
yeah I forgot to mention this will be a range gun and a home defense as well. I will check out the suggestions so far. Keep them coming =)

chonkey
09-15-2012, 4:47 AM
Buy an Uplula magazine loader. You will have red fingers without it at the end of a session.

jonc
09-15-2012, 5:24 AM
Congrats!!

Your 1st and I bet won't be your last!!!

Czsp-01-9mm
09-15-2012, 6:33 AM
You can always do some stippling on the frame, I'm not a fan of it but you might be

ElDub1950
09-15-2012, 6:59 AM
The very best thing you can get for your first handgun is 1000 rnd of ammo every month and shoot them all. ( at least for the first year, then you can cut back if you want )

This not only makes it different from most other guns, it makes you a better gun owner.

darmog
09-15-2012, 7:02 AM
If all you need is distraction from the wait, how about ammo..lots and lots of it. Start building your stockpile along with ammo cans. Or start signing up for a level 1 pistol class with the guys at Gray Ops. Then you get to buy holsters for your pistol and mags, gun belt, more magazines, and/or boresnake and other cleaning items. Run your gun till you know what you want. That way your gun isn't just different from your friend's, it'll be tailor made to your needs.

lt05deluxe
09-15-2012, 7:09 AM
Welcome to the club! It probably won't be your only firearm, it is very addicting. Have fun!

zod
09-15-2012, 9:58 AM
Congrats on the new pistol. More magazines, ammo and an uplula and your set.

oneeyebear
09-15-2012, 11:10 AM
looking at the apex parts for the trigger reset... I remember that was one of the things that bothered me about the gun when shooting it at the range..
that would be the Hard Sear to fix the reset right?

CK_32
09-15-2012, 11:31 AM
Search the forums and net for different looks. See which you like. Id suggest waiting till you actually shoot it before changing the actual shape/feel or egro's on the gun just for looks.

And just some word from someone whos been there many of times.. To help pass the time on the dreaded 10 (11 in your case) order stuff online (bulk ammo,holsters,magazines, cleaning supplies, ect) to have a few presents show up and soften the blow of the 10 day. Usually helps me when I get excited and get to open a new present every 3 days and then finally get to go pick up my gun and have it all ready for the range and not have to wait another month for all the stuff tohit the range.

CasperSYTFU
09-15-2012, 11:37 AM
Ammo!

brian5271
09-15-2012, 11:40 AM
Congrats! M&P’s are great guns. I have the .45 and have put over 8k rounds through it with no troubles.

Here is a link to a forum for M&P’s; http://mp-pistol.com/

You will find lots of great info there.

As far a changing anything, many people put in an Apex trigger system and really like it over the stock trigger. I have a stock trigger in mine and don’t have any problems with it. I would shoot about 1k rounds through it before making any real changes.

oneeyebear
09-15-2012, 11:42 AM
Search the forums and net for different looks. See which you like. Id suggest waiting till you actually shoot it before changing the actual shape/feel or egro's on the gun just for looks.

And just some word from someone whos been there many of times.. To help pass the time on the dreaded 10 (11 in your case) order stuff online (bulk ammo,holsters,magazines, cleaning supplies, ect) to have a few presents show up and soften the blow of the 10 day. Usually helps me when I get excited and get to open a new present every 3 days and then finally get to go pick up my gun and have it all ready for the range and not have to wait another month for all the stuff tohit the range.

Haha yeah my thoughts exactly, I wanna open something already =D That's why I wanna get some ideas... I guess ammo would be best since i already have cleaning supplies and don't need a holster and probably wont need extra magazines either.

oneeyebear
09-15-2012, 11:49 AM
Congrats! M&Pís are great guns. I have the .45 and have put over 8k rounds through it with no troubles.

Here is a link to a forum for M&Pís; http://mp-pistol.com/

You will find lots of great info there.

As far a changing anything, many people put in an Apex trigger system and really like it over the stock trigger. I have a stock trigger in mine and donít have any problems with it. I would shoot about 1k rounds through it before making any real changes.

Thanks just registered there. And yeah I will be buying some bulk ammo soon so I am stocked up =)

350skylark
09-15-2012, 12:25 PM
Im feeling the same way i just bought a ria 1911, its a loonngg 10 days!

oneeyebear
09-15-2012, 1:19 PM
Im feeling the same way i just bought a ria 1911, its a loonngg 10 days!

yeah and I am on my weekend right now so there is not even work to distract me! =)

JTROKS
09-15-2012, 1:30 PM
Wow! Congrats on your first handgun! I remember my first handgun when I was a poor Airman scrounging pennies so I can shoot it.

My advice is to spend ammo and some extra magazines to get to know your gun. You'll know when it's time to change sights and other parts. Go slow do it one at a time even when you purchase all the parts at the same time in case you start having problems with a proven reliable gun.

Kodemonkey
09-15-2012, 1:39 PM
Buy an Uplula magazine loader. You will have red fingers without it at the end of a session.

This, the 10th round in the M&P mags are near impossible especially with new mags.

Apex kit is a great improvement. And I swear by the Dawson FO sights.

oneeyebear
09-15-2012, 2:36 PM
So I am looking at ammo online but one of the things I have never really had to think too much about... since before I had a .22 and 12 gauge ...is I believe its powder weight like 115gr. how important is this measurement?

darmog
09-15-2012, 2:54 PM
For general plinking, 115 gr is fine. That's bullet weight, by the way, not powder. When you're considering HD ammo, that's when you decide between 124gr or 147 gr. And the normal pressure or +p or +p+.

oneeyebear
09-15-2012, 3:11 PM
ok thanks for clarifying =)

chonkey
09-15-2012, 3:15 PM
Get a good range bag. Pistol rug maybe to protect it during travel. Extra mags. Your own eyes and ear protection. I like this electronic one (http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-R-01526-Electronic-Earmuff/dp/B001T7QJ9O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347750770&sr=8-1&keywords=Howard+Leight+R-01526). If someone next to you use using a magnum though you probably should double up with ear plugs.

Oceanbob
09-15-2012, 3:15 PM
I remember my first handgun....wow....I know that feeling.

Welcome to Gun Ownership here in Kalifornistan..! :cool:

Leave her stock until you have some trigger time. No hurry.

Be safe..

chonkey
09-15-2012, 3:17 PM
Leave her stock until you have some trigger time. No hurry.

+1 to that. Stock M&P is already an excellent pistol imo.

oneeyebear
09-15-2012, 3:27 PM
yeah, not my first gun, just first handgun =D I already have the hearing and eye protection, range bag. again, thanks for the suggestions. About to buy 500 rounds from freedommunitions =) ...anyone happen to have a free shipping coupon code or 10% off or something that's pretty much the only thing holding me back. I see another site that offers a .50 cal ammo tin with the purchase of theirs but it is like 15$ more

USMC 82-86
09-15-2012, 3:29 PM
Nice enjoy! I remember when I bought my first handgun. S&W 586 in 1985 on my birthday. The 15 minute wait to take it to the range was driving me crazy. I was in S.C. where you can buy and walk. Sorry about the wait here. I hate the wait myself.

chonkey
09-15-2012, 3:31 PM
Check out palmetto armory. They might have better prices for pistol ammo.

Fishslayer
09-15-2012, 3:44 PM
Magazines & ammo.

As for customizing, you could always fill in the lettering with a crayon. That's big with a certain segment around here. ;)

Seriously, tho, shoot it awhile & decide what you want. The stock setup might just be perfect for you.

oneeyebear
09-15-2012, 3:48 PM
Check out palmetto armory. They might have better prices for pistol ammo.

checked it out, they were a bit more expensive.

themethod
09-15-2012, 3:50 PM
Congrats! The mp9 was my first handgun as well. Feels great in the hand.

I left mine stock but as others said, night sights and/or a flashlight for the front rail would be nice upgrades.

USMC 82-86
09-15-2012, 3:59 PM
PSA has 9mm for $10.99 for blazer brass and $10.49 for Independence and free shipping right now. I got a email today. If there is a better price let me know where, I might order some more.

Fishslayer
09-15-2012, 4:10 PM
Ammo, lots of ammo... It wont make it different but who cares.

Might make OP a better marksman than his buddies... ;)

As for prices...

http://gun-deals.com/ammo.php?caliber=9mm+Luger

XDRoX
09-15-2012, 4:16 PM
Congrats. It's great to see someone so excited about a gun purchase. That 10 day wait really makes you appreciate the gun more.

I really like the M&P. The ergos are great and it feels really well built. But I'm not a fan of the trigger. And the one my buddy has has a safety for some reason. Besides those two things it's an awesome pistol.

So if I were you I'd be looking at some different trigger options. There are a few out there.

Again congrats.

themethod
09-15-2012, 4:34 PM
Mine eats everything I've put through it. Had a couple FTE the first time I took it out but over 1000 rounds through it now without any issue. It's a great gun!

oneeyebear
09-15-2012, 8:51 PM
PSA has 9mm for $10.99 for blazer brass and $10.49 for Independence and free shipping right now. I got a email today. If there is a better price let me know where, I might order some more.

Yeah on PSA the Blazer Brass is out of stock =( and the Independence is $104.90 for 500 rounds (free shipping).

On Freedommunitions the 500 rounds of FM ammo is $105.57 (including $11.08 shipping) ...that is why I was asking if anyone had a coupon code that would make 500 rounds $94.49. ...and if you check out the "Krazy Deals" section they have had boxes of 500 9mm rounds for $69.99...I just don't know how often they do deals like that.

Mostly the only reason I am leaning towards FM is because their ammo has a lot of positive reviews from their customers. And it is a difference of less than a dollar.

darmog
09-15-2012, 9:04 PM
Don't think Freedom has ever used a coupon code. As for their Krazy deals, it's random when they do it but they might give you a warning during the week that they do it. However, you practically have to be checking their website every few minutes all day, everyday to be warned about the deal. Liking them on facebook helps a bit. They seem to post the Krazy deals on there first, but like I said before, it's completely random. You could be at work when they post their Krazy Deals and completely miss it. They only package a few of these deals which go really, really quick if its a really desirable deal.

InGrAM
09-15-2012, 10:06 PM
I like 10-8 sights:
Front: http://www.10-8performance.com/products/S%26W-M%26P-Front-Sight.html
Rear:http://www.10-8performance.com/products/S%26W-M%26P-Rear-Sight.html

And for the trigger a Apex hard sear did wonders for the trigger and it is cheap.
https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid18.html

Great choice in handguns, BTW. You will be very happy with your new M&P

willerfortheworld
09-15-2012, 10:47 PM
To be different then your friends= night sights, mags, apex, lights/laser, ect.

What you should get first= ammo, and lots of it.

If this is your first hand gun, you will be surprised on how quickly you can shoot 100 rounds like its nothing. Im investing in a reload kit here soon.

PerfectReset
09-15-2012, 10:59 PM
I have been waiting for years to get a handgun and yesterday a friend and myself decided to impulse buy the sw mp 9

We both got the black ones so i am wondering, while i have to do the grueling 10 day wait - which actually is 11 for me since the shop i bought from is closed Mondays - is there anything i can look into getting for this gun that will make it a little different then my friends? Both internals or externals doesn't matter, i just need something to distract me from the wait =D

I found the sight picture to be loose from the factory in that there is space between the rear sights and front sight even at arms length. I think of of the single best upgrades to the M&P9 is a sight upgrade. Next, as mentioned by others, would be some internal work. Anything that can make the trigger feedback a bit more crisp is helpful. I personally think I might have one of the nicer M&P9's on the forum having purchased it from another Calgunner that did a ton of work investing around $900 and was a perfectionist... I am not normally a fan of changing a gun from stock (big Glock collection, all stock), but the M&P9 definitely comes together nicely with some upgrades around the sights and trigger. My mods:

*Apex Trigger and forward set sear https://apextactical.com
*Apex RAM
*Apex sear block modification (larger sear spring/plunger)
*Warren Tactical 2-dot night sights
*Custom Stippling by heat

Photo After Apex Trigger:
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w88/stillclaimndp/1gun/MyMPSet.jpg

...and a photo Before Apex Trigger:
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w88/stillclaimndp/1gun/MyMP.jpg

...photo of sights after upgrade:
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w88/stillclaimndp/1gun/MyMP3.jpg

...photo of other side before Trigger:
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w88/stillclaimndp/1gun/MyMP2.jpg

oneeyebear
09-16-2012, 12:34 AM
I like those sights =)

oneeyebear
09-24-2012, 12:49 AM
Woo 31 hours left

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

macxd
09-24-2012, 12:23 PM
Yeah on PSA the Blazer Brass is out of stock =( and the Independence is $104.90 for 500 rounds (free shipping).

On Freedommunitions the 500 rounds of FM ammo is $105.57 (including $11.08 shipping) ...that is why I was asking if anyone had a coupon code that would make 500 rounds $94.49. ...and if you check out the "Krazy Deals" section they have had boxes of 500 9mm rounds for $69.99...I just don't know how often they do deals like that.

Mostly the only reason I am leaning towards FM is because their ammo has a lot of positive reviews from their customers. And it is a difference of less than a dollar.

For FreedomMunitions, get the remanufactured 9mm for 500rds @ 94.50
http://www.freedommunitions.com/product-p/fm9r115r.htm

I usually buy a case and it's shipped to the Sacramento area for total 203.40 using the Fedex option. I've shot 1500rds of this through my XD9 with one FTF in about a month and a half (that ftf happened on the second round. All of them have gone bang since). The reman ammo comes loosely packed in boxes of 50.

You can also try the blaster ammo which is $10 less a case than the reman ammo.

The shipping for 500 is about $11 for me also. Might as well get 1000 since the shipping will only go up about 4-5 bucks.

oneeyebear
09-24-2012, 2:16 PM
For FreedomMunitions, get the remanufactured 9mm for 500rds @ 94.50
http://www.freedommunitions.com/product-p/fm9r115r.htm

I usually buy a case and it's shipped to the Sacramento area for total 203.40 using the Fedex option. I've shot 1500rds of this through my XD9 with one FTF in about a month and a half (that ftf happened on the second round. All of them have gone bang since). The reman ammo comes loosely packed in boxes of 50.

You can also try the blaster ammo which is $10 less a case than the reman ammo.

The shipping for 500 is about $11 for me also. Might as well get 1000 since the shipping will only go up about 4-5 bucks.

I actually checked out walmart because of how close we are to going shooting i couldnt wait for shipping. Luckily walmart had the loosely packaged 100 round federal value pack in stock for 19.95 just got 2 of those for now.

macxd
09-25-2012, 12:37 PM
I actually checked out walmart because of how close we are to going shooting i couldnt wait for shipping. Luckily walmart had the loosely packaged 100 round federal value pack in stock for 19.95 just got 2 of those for now.

Dang, I can never find those packs in Orangevale or Rancho. They only have the $12 and some change for the 50 packs.

Glock31B
09-25-2012, 12:47 PM
Congrats on your first firearm and you picked a great one. Keep your firearm just like it is and break it in before you change anything, thats my opinion. Also get M-Pro 7 Cleaner and Oil to keep it in the best condition. You can find it on Amazon for a great price.

reckoner
09-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Grip tape! Easy to do, and easy to change and play around with.

oneeyebear
09-25-2012, 8:55 PM
Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions, just picked up my gun at 9am today took it out to the forest and put 180 rounds through it. The first 20 or so intermittently had issues of jamming, failure to eject, and failure of the slide to lock back after the last round. Thats about all, after a couple mags worth all issues disappeared.
One thing that i am not sure is normal but happens almost everytime is when the slide is locked back and i insert a magazine and slam it in the gun, the slide lock disengages and loads a round ready to fire. Is that normal operation?