PDA

View Full Version : Help - AK47 Bolt Carrier Group Binding in Gas Tube

sstephenson
09-14-2012, 8:24 PM
Hey guys. I've got a problem that I hope you all can help me with. Today I swapped out the black polymer furniture that came on my Arsenal SGL-31 with some nice wood furniture that I just refinished. During reassembly, I found that my upper handguard was a bit loose (it rattled around a bit in the metal retainers holding the wood on the gas tube). I had some adhesive backed felt lying around, so I used it to put a layer of felt around the inside of the retainers. It seemed to do the job nicely until I got everything back together and realized that the bolt carrier and/or piston were binding in the gas tube. I couldn't budge the bolt handle or move the BCG at all. I released the handguard latch that secures the gas tube to the rear sight base, and found that the BCG was now free to move. I tightened the latch again and once again the BCG was bound up. What's going on and what should be my next step? Any help is greatly appreciated.

zfields
09-14-2012, 8:29 PM
Make sure the gas tube is seated correctly. I know on my draco there is a spot where the lever will drop, but in its correct position.

tujungatoes
09-14-2012, 9:21 PM
Make sure the gas tube is seated correctly. I know on my draco there is a spot where the lever will drop, but in its correct position.

^^This is most likely the cause. Easy to miss if you're new or only half paying attention. Sometimes you have to fiddle with it to get the rear of the gas tube to drop completely into the slot in the rear sight base.

sstephenson
09-14-2012, 9:31 PM
^^This is most likely the cause. Easy to miss if you're new or only half paying attention. Sometimes you have to fiddle with it to get the rear of the gas tube to drop completely into the slot in the rear sight base.

I am new to the AK, and this is the first time I've taken the handguards off. I did notice that it was a hellacious chore to get that handguard latch to go down completely, so maybe I don't have the gas tube dropped all the way into the sight base like you guys are saying. Thanks. I'll give it a try.

zfields
09-14-2012, 9:40 PM
Give the gas tube a good smack or two to seat it all the way.

MrPlink
09-14-2012, 9:40 PM
Feel free to smash the tube back into place, you wont hurt anything :p

sstephenson
09-14-2012, 9:42 PM
Will do :smash:

zfields
09-14-2012, 9:43 PM
PS if you want to dump that poly handguard set, I need a set : )

sstephenson
09-14-2012, 10:04 PM
PS if you want to dump that poly handguard set, I need a set : )

Thanks zfield. My plans right now are to hang on to the plastic until I decide if switching to wood was a good idea. I definitely like the way the wood looks. I'll post a pic tomorrow after I play with the gas tube.

ott1
09-14-2012, 11:02 PM
If the gas tube has a tension spring, you may need to pull back on the gas tube a little bit towards the back of the receiver for the gas tube to seat properly.

Jayruta
09-14-2012, 11:15 PM
What ott1 said. Give the gas tube a good pull the rear when your seating it in the RSB and pushing down. Ott1 and I learned that one a while ago.

sstephenson
09-14-2012, 11:21 PM
Thanks guys. I'll give it a try.

CK_32
09-15-2012, 6:42 AM
Man all these help AK reassembly threads have me scared to take my apparat when I get it tomorrow. :(

zfields
09-15-2012, 7:07 AM
Man all these help AK reassembly threads have me scared to take my apparat when I get it tomorrow. :(

13 year olds in mud huts can figure it out, you will not have an issue.

Mail Clerk
09-15-2012, 7:44 AM
I am new to the AK, and this is the first time I've taken the handguards off. I did notice that it was a hellacious chore to get that handguard latch to go down completely, so maybe I don't have the gas tube dropped all the way into the sight base like you guys are saying. Thanks. I'll give it a try.

sstephenson,

Be glad your lever is tight. If it's not you won't like shooting it and realizing the lever fliew all over the place during firing. Your lever will loosen up a bit once you get it moving.

Like the others said just make sure your BCG is seated proplerly when you assemble it back together.

Mail Clerk

chead
09-15-2012, 11:50 AM
You can always just bend the lever a little to tighten/loosen it.

hermosabeach
09-15-2012, 12:45 PM
It sounds like you have your bases covered

Use caution when adding spacers- felt- plastic- etc
When the gun gets hot, "stuff" will expand or melt

So what might work at home could cause damage should the op rod be forced oit of alignment when the gun heats up

sstephenson
09-15-2012, 2:41 PM
Hey guys. Thanks for all your help. You all had a piece of the puzzle. I noticed that when I tried to drop the rear of the gas tube into the rear sight base, the spring clip seemed top be a little in the way, so I pressed the spring clip forward a bit on the tube. Then I also noticed that as I tried to depress the gas tube latch, the rear of the gas tube was rising a little bit. I wrapped the upper and lower hand guards in a small scrap of carpet to keep them from getting scratched up, and I C-clamped the hand guards to hold them together as I closed the latch. As I tightened the C-clamp, I heard a small "pop" as something snapped into place. Success! The bolt carrier group slides in the gas tube just like new. Thanks again! Here's a photo of the finished product:

http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae97/sstephenson61/AK47/SGL-31AK47.jpg

ott1
09-15-2012, 3:19 PM
I knew it was the spring Jayruta. ;)

Jayruta
09-15-2012, 4:00 PM
:) glad it worked out for you!

Dinosaur Jr
09-15-2012, 8:28 PM
+1 on hope that felt doesn't burn or melt...

sstephenson
09-15-2012, 9:32 PM
Yeah, I hear you guys. Now that I know what I'm doing, I may swap it out with something else. Suggestions for shim material?

Dinosaur Jr
09-16-2012, 8:19 AM
Perhaps some steel wool or similar non-flammable material?

kris smith
09-16-2012, 8:32 AM
Steel wool will burn up. And what is this spring ? I haven't seen a spring on my gas tube

sstephenson
09-16-2012, 9:50 AM
And what is this spring ? I haven't seen a spring on my gas tube

I wondered the same thing when I first read ott1's post. It's not a coiled spring. It's a curved spring steel washer that goes around the gas tube on the rear sight base end. It provides some tension between the gas tube and and the sight base.

ott1
09-16-2012, 9:52 AM
http://www.avtomats-in-action.com/media3/GasTubeProof.jpg

kris smith
09-16-2012, 9:57 AM
I don't think my wasr has one but is functions fine

kris smith
09-16-2012, 10:30 AM
I don't think my wasr has one but is functions fine

Dinosaur Jr
09-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Steel wool will burn up. And what is this spring ? I haven't seen a spring on my gas tube

Neither have I...:confused:

tujungatoes
09-16-2012, 11:49 AM
Not all ak's(obviously) have the gas tube spring. It's not really necessary. Just keeps the tube from rattling. Gotta love those loose ak tolerances.