PDA

View Full Version : Need to sell a 1911, which one?

RL15
09-14-2012, 7:09 PM
A friend of mine has inherited a slew of guns. He wants to sell me a bunch of them. Naturally I just spent my wad of stash on remodeling the kitchen for the wife. And, the wife says no more money comes out of the savings. I have to sell a gun. I'm a big time vintage big bore revolver guy. So selling those guns are off limits. But, my 1911 collection doesn't mean as much to me. Most all of them are current production and can be replaced at a later date. So I pose this question to you guys. If this was your 1911 collection, what could you live without. The first two pictures are the guns. The 3rd picture are my favorite pistols that I will definitely keep. The last picture is got to be my all time favorite 1911. It was build by "DD" Dick Bancroft, alias Dirty Dick, God Rest his Soul. It is almost as accurate as my Les Baer pistols. And, I have used it to win my share of competitions. So that one is a keeper. Anyway, what are the opinions as to which one to sell?

JeremyS
09-14-2012, 7:22 PM
Wow, awesome collection! If I wasn't trying to sell a few of my own (3 more to sell in the listing in my signature), I'd probably want to take the top left one and bottom right one in the first 2 pics off of your hands :)

As to which ones you should sell... It was freakin' hard for me to decide myself; there's no way I could try to do the same for somebody else!

Meety Peety
09-14-2012, 7:26 PM
Depending on how much money you actually need right now, I'd probably start with the 2 tone Kimber. At least you won't even have to replace it ;)

BTW nice collection.

cjc16
09-14-2012, 7:34 PM
show off.;)

Bobby Ricigliano
09-14-2012, 7:36 PM
Eighteen 1911's?

Really???

fennecfrank
09-14-2012, 7:47 PM
Depending on how much money you actually need right now, I'd probably start with the 2 tone Kimber. At least you won't even have to replace it ;)

BTW nice collection.

+1.

and the Sig can go too.

Js3o2
09-14-2012, 7:48 PM
the 1911

Meety Peety
09-14-2012, 7:50 PM
and the Sig can go too.I agree

cebuvfr
09-14-2012, 7:51 PM
Nice collection. I'd let the Kimber and Sig go first.

madstyle1
09-14-2012, 7:51 PM
nice collection....

ELIXIR
09-14-2012, 7:53 PM
I have one 1911 and what?! :)

In another note, awesome collection. Im jelous!

cannon
09-14-2012, 7:54 PM
I don't know what you should sell but I buy Colts. :D

Very nice collection you have there.

WDE91
09-14-2012, 7:56 PM
I would sell ones that would bring good money and are easily replaceable if you ended up wanting it again

Arkangel
09-14-2012, 8:31 PM
I would love to have your kind of problems....

How much $$$ do you think you need?

Sell what you can replace easily and will bring in the most cash.

PutTogether
09-14-2012, 8:44 PM
In this order:

Goodbye anything kimber(cause who cares?. Goodbye "loaded" and below springfields (easy to replace). Goodbye Sig (awesome gun, but also easy to replace). Goodbye anything smaller than commander size.

Now if you've got a lightweight commander in there anywhere, it should get sold first........ To your old buddy puttogether.

PutTogether
09-14-2012, 8:44 PM
In this order:

Goodbye anything kimber(cause who cares?). Goodbye "loaded" and below springfields (easy to replace). Goodbye Sig (awesome gun, but also easy to replace). Goodbye anything smaller than commander size.

Now if you've got a lightweight commander in there anywhere, it should get sold first........ To your old buddy puttogether.

Calbum65
09-14-2012, 9:00 PM
And here I was feeling guilty about doing the paperwork on my fourth 1911.....lol

Oldnoob
09-14-2012, 9:09 PM
Sell them all. Than post a thread stated you now only have one Glock. Live as internet legend forever.

Shapes And Colors
09-14-2012, 9:17 PM
Sell them all. Than post a thread stated you now only have one Glock. Live as internet legend forever.

:King:

eville
09-14-2012, 10:08 PM
What's the one in the lower left in pic 3?

nightwolf0215
09-14-2012, 10:17 PM
You should sell the stuffs that you can get back later. Anything in production will be repurchasable in the future imo. Keep the favorite (obviously) and the rare ones. Donate about half of them to me would be an option too.

1000stars
09-14-2012, 10:35 PM
Sig. external safety, slide doesn't have 1911 look.

InGrAM
09-14-2012, 10:47 PM
Nice collection

I would sell the SIG, or any of the Kimbers.

HonkingAntelope
09-14-2012, 11:11 PM
What's the brand and the load of the shotgun shells you're using to hold those up? :)

kurac
09-14-2012, 11:24 PM
I would look at anything that hasn't been out of the safe in a couple of years, that is always a good place to start when culling the herd.

ChrisTKHarris
09-14-2012, 11:29 PM
http://cupofzup.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/mother-of-god.gif

t0kie
09-14-2012, 11:34 PM
The Sig.

ExtremeX
09-14-2012, 11:36 PM
And here I feel I was breaking the bank owning just one 1911 lol...

I vote keep the Sig, it’s different, and I like the different slide profile.

Guess it’s not that big of a deal, any of the Kimbers or Sigs can be easily replaced. Id toss the Kimbers first.

scglock
09-15-2012, 2:56 AM
Jesus I have some catching up to do.... You're such a show off :) nice collection!!!

chiselchst
09-15-2012, 4:59 AM
But, my 1911 collection doesn't mean as much to me...

That's good, you might have ran out of room! :p

RL15
09-15-2012, 7:13 AM
The gun in picture 3 , lower left is a Custom Nighthawk

RL15
09-15-2012, 7:20 AM
Same picture, lower right is a Les Baer of course. Above it is a Ed Brown. But you all knew that. The Baer is the 1 1/2" at 50 yards model. Definitely the most accurate 45 I own.

littlejake
09-15-2012, 7:23 AM

You're not in California, are you?

RL15
09-15-2012, 7:25 AM
It seems that most folks don't care for my Sig and Kimbers. That's interesting.

eville
09-15-2012, 7:26 AM

Any details? Looks amazing

RL15
09-15-2012, 7:27 AM
Unfortunately, yes I am in Kali.

den888
09-15-2012, 7:32 AM
Great collection!

RL15
09-15-2012, 7:33 AM
Located in the beautiful central valley. If only we didn't have the poloticans then it would indeed be a beautiful place.

sealocan
09-15-2012, 7:45 AM
Nice photos,nice guns can you show us some of the vintage big bore revolvers you have? I mean if we're going to be jealous... let's go full bore.

RL15
09-15-2012, 8:20 AM
To answer the Knighthawk questions, it's on par with the Ed Brown. An expensive gun, accurate, reliable, etc. But, don't think I would buy another. Personally, one of the best values to me is my Dan Wesson. It is a stainless 4" barrel with the bobtail, but it outshoots my Ed Brown and I paid half the price for it. I learned a long time ago that price doesn't also equal value. I know I am going to ruffle some feathers here, but my Colts are a good example. I think they cost too much for what you get. But then again, they say "Colt" on the side. That stellar reputation was earned a long time ago and not so sure it applies to them today. Heck, a standard Govt model cost near a grand and you get no extras, no adj sights, no beavertail, no ambi safety, no night sights, no checkering, no nothing just plain old govt model. Not a good value.

Welp, gotta go to town and get some supplies.

tommyid1
09-15-2012, 8:36 AM
Keep everything in the third picture pluss the trp in the top right and sell the rest of them

Thomas1190
09-15-2012, 11:08 AM
Very nice collection. Id keep the Colts and the custom/semi-customs like Baer, Wesson, Nighthawk. The Sigs, Kimbers, SAs can all be replaced imo. Theres a bunch of them.

But I must say that Series 70 Colt in the first pic, 3rd row on top has caught my attention ;) lol

dc2integra
09-15-2012, 12:26 PM
I say you sell the sig.Very nice collection you got there.

polo.45
09-15-2012, 1:08 PM
None!!!! If you need money. Get loan!!! Someday I'll have that many 1911's. :)

TripleThreat
09-15-2012, 1:11 PM
You had me at the kitchen remodel and lost me at the photo of 18 "But my 1911 collection doesn't mean as much to me"....

Triple

jonzer77
09-15-2012, 3:02 PM
To answer the Knighthawk questions, it's on par with the Ed Brown. An expensive gun, accurate, reliable, etc. But, don't think I would buy another. Personally, one of the best values to me is my Dan Wesson. It is a stainless 4" barrel with the bobtail, but it outshoots my Ed Brown and I paid half the price for it. I learned a long time ago that price doesn't also equal value. I know I am going to ruffle some feathers here, but my Colts are a good example. I think they cost too much for what you get. But then again, they say "Colt" on the side. That stellar reputation was earned a long time ago and not so sure it applies to them today. Heck, a standard Govt model cost near a grand and you get no extras, no adj sights, no beavertail, no ambi safety, no night sights, no checkering, no nothing just plain old govt model. Not a good value.

Welp, gotta go to town and get some supplies.

Their XSE model with all of the features you described is under $1000.

FUBAR
09-15-2012, 4:03 PM
I too agree that Kimbers and the Sig can go. Also the recent Springers you have. All can easily be replaced if you want them again. But with the collection you have, I don't think you would miss them much.

beerman
09-15-2012, 7:17 PM
the kimbers and any series 80s,please step to the left....all you others goto the right,,,except the Detonics.. for that one PM beerman

Rorge Retson
09-15-2012, 7:44 PM
How many people think he doesn't intend to sell any of those and only came here to gloat, looking for an excuse to post the pics??

:cool:

Horton Fenty
09-15-2012, 7:52 PM
How many people think he doesn't intend to sell any of those and only came here to gloat, looking for an excuse to post the pics??

x2.

......And yes I am jealous.

InGrAM
09-15-2012, 8:30 PM

And how many people think this guy ^ is jealous of the OP? ;)

jonzer77
09-15-2012, 8:32 PM

Someone is jelly

TripleThreat
09-15-2012, 8:33 PM

I take people at face value until they give me a reason not to. If he just wanted to show off, he could've just posted the picture and said check out my guns beoches.

Triple

LAKings22
09-15-2012, 8:37 PM
With your collection, you can easly sell 4 1911's. By next month you won't even remember you had them.

Rorge Retson
09-15-2012, 8:39 PM

Someone is jelly

I take people at face value until they give me a reason not to. If he just wanted to show off, he could've just posted the picture and said check out my guns beoches.

Triple

Guys - Just Kidding!! :D

Anchors
09-15-2012, 8:39 PM
The Kimbers. Just my opinion.

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
09-15-2012, 8:49 PM
I'll take them all, if you ever need a kidney or half of my liver TAKE IT

RL15
09-15-2012, 9:45 PM
In making my decision as to what to sell, I'm looking at what is in the safe vs. what is in use. I keep one 45 in each of my vehicles (4), I keep (3) guns throughout the house. I've got (1) in the barn, (1) in the tool shed, (1) in the man-cave, and this one you are going to laugh, but I keep (1) in the chicken coop. But, there is a story behind that one.

Early one morning I heard a ruckus in the coop. When I opened the door there was a skunk, sucking eggs and scaring up the chickens. When she saw me, she took out after me, showing her teeth and foaming at the mouth. I knew in a minute it had rabies. Well, it chased me to the truck. I got in just in time as it sprayed the truck and got just a tad on me. I pulled out the 45 in the truck and rolled down the window. I put all 8 slugs into that kitty. Now I keep a 45 right inside the door of the chicken coop.

So you see, most of my 1911's are working guns to some degree. Most of those are stainless. So I think I'm going to sell a 1911 that normally stays in the safe. Am leaning towards one of the Les Baers, the Thunder Ranch one.

Reading all the feedback from calgunners, I truly am surprised at the lack of love for Kimbers and Sigs. What I like most about the Kimbers is that they use match grade barrels in all their guns. And all mine are very accurate. I've never had a problem with any of them. I've read that other shooters do have problems. Either I have been lucky, or there are different things involved with the other owners. As you can see by the pictures, I am meticulous as to maintenance and condition of my firearms.

Anyway, I will have to make a decision soon. As to the guys interested in the Colts, sorry I can't replace them very easily. Especially the Series 70's.

InGrAM
09-15-2012, 9:47 PM
Guys - Just Kidding!! :D

The wide variety of faces on this forum are your friend, my friend. lol :D

Bartin
09-16-2012, 5:05 AM
show off thread is successful. That said, selling a Les Baer gets you good value, gives the buyer a good deal and lets you replace it if needed later without TOO much hassle. Your collection can take the hit

redcliff
09-16-2012, 5:32 AM
Nice 1911 collection :) Yes some of us have more than 1, 5, 10 or 15 1911's .

So much Kimber hate in this thread; assuming the OP actuallyy has shot them and sent any that had problems back for warranty work they're generally reliable and accurate at that point. Although I ***** about Kimber's quality control and issues with slide stops, extractor tuning and rusty barrels I've shot some very good shooting Kimbers and some models like the Super Match are very impressive indeed; those truly are hand fitted by Kimber and don't ship unless they produce sub 1" groups at 25 yards.

In regard to what to sell, does the OP have a CCW? If not one of the shortie 1911's might be a good candidate to liquidate. I'm personally not a big fan of anything shorter than a Commander although I have a couple. Other than that only he can decide which one to sell based upon what feels the best or worst in his hands and which has features he dislikes. Although I'm not a fan of external extractors Sig and S&W seem to do alright with them.

What exactly are you purchasing with the funds from the 1911 sale? :)

Rorge Retson
09-16-2012, 6:03 AM
The wide variety of faces on this forum are your friend, my friend. lol :D

If you mean smilies, yes, next time I will make more liberal use of them. ;)

OP, nice collection. I am sure you are the envy of a lot of 1911 freaks out there at this moment. Best of luck with your decision...please keep us posted as to which one you sell and what you do with the proceeds. :)

RL15
09-16-2012, 8:57 AM
Yes, I do have a CCW. The 3" blue Kimber with NRA grips (picture #1 lower left) is one of the guns on my permit. I won it at a Friends of NRA dinner. Paid $20 for a ticket and they called my number. That was my lucky night.

In regards to whether or not I shoot my guns, I have four (4) reloading machines I use to crank out ammo. Yes, I am definitely a shooter. And, the Dillon products are fantastic. I have been reloading for over 35 years and have owned and used almost every type of reloader out there. But, Dillon got it right. I have a 1050, 650, 550, and a Big Fifty machine. If you don't own one, I would recommend it.

RL15
09-16-2012, 9:25 AM
Picture 1 lower right, not left.

45to40
09-16-2012, 1:58 PM
I wondered what happened to Dirty Dick- he did an incredible job on a Colt for me years ago. He used to do all the 1911 work for the Swat guys I knew. He was a great guy and will surely be missed. I would not sell any of your guns that have been tuned by him(I assume your model 70 was, that was the preferred rig of any Swat guys that were 1911shooters). Or if you do, you should make sure you price them to reflect his craftsmanship.

HPGunner
09-16-2012, 2:47 PM
Love the collection. Don't know why the hate on the Kimbers. I have a stainless Raptor 2 and wouldn't sell that one. It is a work of art.

Id sell the Sig, because it's easy to replace and seems the out of place from the rest of the gang.

bsg
09-16-2012, 6:43 PM

i laughed when i read this.

thanks!

RL15
09-17-2012, 5:48 PM
I wondered what happened to Dirty Dick- he did an incredible job on a Colt for me years ago. He used to do all the 1911 work for the Swat guys I knew. He was a great guy and will surely be missed. I would not sell any of your guns that have been tuned by him(I assume your model 70 was, that was the preferred rig of any Swat guys that were 1911shooters). Or if you do, you should make sure you price them to reflect his craftsmanship

45to40, Yes I heard he passed away a few years back. I knew him since 1984. He was an excellent gunsmith specializing in 1911s. Towards the end he mostly built knives.

When I first met him, he and a guy named Chuck Ritcell (probably misspelled) had a gunshop in Roseville. Then Chuck when on to a commerical reloading future and Dick onto gunsmithing. He probably built 8 or 9 guns for me. The 9x23 started out life as a 38 super. Back then I was shooting a lot if IPSC and wanted to make "major" using some of the lesser kicking calibers. In the end I went back to the old trusty 45 caliber. Although the 9x23 was a great long range handgun. I regularly used to knock over the rams at 200 yards with it at the Farmington Range, back when they used to have handgun silhouettes.

Anyway, the only gun I have left that he built is the Colt stainless 45. Definitely will not sell that one. Dick taught me how to do a lot of gunsmithing on 1911s, but I just don't have the talent or skill set that true gunsmiths have. I'm more of a hack. I get it done, but it doesn't always look pretty, LOL.

Now that I am thinking about Dick, I will have to drink a Mountain Dew to celebrate my friendship with him. As everyone who knew Dick, he always had a Dew in his hand.

RL15
09-17-2012, 5:51 PM
willerfortheworld
Do you live near Fresno by any chance?

Nope, am quite a few miles northeast of Fresno