PDA

View Full Version : Gotta Love Oregon!

desertmedic
09-14-2012, 6:54 PM
So, recently came back from norther Oregon (son got married) and man, what a great state!! Went in to a gun store and was blown away... SBR's, silencers, class III weapons all easily available with no stigma in owning them. One of the salesmen was showing me a sweet select fire, silenced G36c. wanted to know if I wanted to buy it and I had to look down and sadly say I was from CA. He laughed and said "oh wow, sorry to hear that." we started talking and he wanted to see my neutered AK. He pointed at the bullet button inquisitively and asked "whats that all about?" after explainging the bullet button and the ins and outs on our magazine caps we parted ways.

Fast forward a couple of days and I go out shooting with extended family members and the silly bullet button fell off... Like the rifle was shedding its chastity belt! Too funny!! It seems the little allen screws backed out. Well, after shooting it I tightened everything back up and we headed back to my other sons place.

Just wanted to share that there is good stuff outside this sad, archaic state.

MrPlink
09-14-2012, 7:31 PM
Unless you are a 07, Leo or MIL you couldnt own a selectfire G36 as a private citizen even if you resided in Or.

desertmedic
09-14-2012, 7:47 PM
Not according to this salesmen who explained the process to me...

elSquid
09-14-2012, 7:51 PM

AFAIK, the only transferrable G36s are dealer samples. It's a post-1986 machinegun.

Was it a converted SL8 SBR instead?

: shrug :

-- Michael

Revolver Ocelot
09-14-2012, 7:51 PM
Do you remember exactly what part of Oregon? Been looking for places to move and Oregon has been looking better and better.

m03
09-14-2012, 7:52 PM

He was BSing you. The G36 didn't exist before May 19th, 1986.

dfletcher
09-14-2012, 7:57 PM
I have no idea about the G36 select fire - maybe being after '86 is important?

For quite a few years the Josephine County Sportsmens Club held a machine gun shoot on Decoration Day after the Grants Pass parade, I've been to half dozen of them. When I brought my semi auto 1918 BAR up there last year at Thanksgiving I thought it was pretty neat, until a fellow showed up with his Winchester made full auto.

Whatever the particulars, OR is a great state for guns.

m03
09-14-2012, 8:04 PM
I have no idea about the G36 select fire - maybe being after '86 is important?

All civilian transferrable machine-gun manufacturing ceased as of May of 1986 due to the Hughes Amendment, so it's not possible that a transferrable G36 exists due to them not being designed until the 1990s.

elSquid
09-14-2012, 8:05 PM
For quite a few years the Josephine County Sportsmens Club held a machine gun shoot on Decoration Day after the Grants Pass parade, I've been to half dozen of them.

Hmmn, I'll have to check that one out. :)

Albany Rifle and Pistol has an annual shoot as well. Been to one of those - great fun!

http://www.arpc.info/sbmgs.php

-- Michael

dfletcher
09-14-2012, 8:06 PM
All civilian transferrable machine-gun manufacturing ceased as of May of 1986 due to the Hughes Amendment, so it's not possible that a transferrable G36 exists due to them not being designed until the 1990s.

Thought that might be the case. I don't know Glocks from cuckoo clocks but I remember Hughes.

MrPlink
09-14-2012, 8:44 PM
Yep, no civi transferable mgs post 86.

Iirc, no imported MGs intended for civi sales post 68?

ElvenSoul
09-14-2012, 8:49 PM
Most likely just a Clone

Powerkraut
09-14-2012, 8:56 PM
Wait, why did you leave your BB on in OR? Gonna be moving up there in Jan (hopefully). First thing I'm gonna do is get a CCL and something NFA.

troysland
09-14-2012, 8:59 PM
OlXrV6A0ecA&feature

sigstroker
09-15-2012, 2:50 AM
G36 is an H&K, right? The trigger pack for an HK-91, 93, 94, etc might fit. If so... rock n roll. The transferable part of an HK full-auto is the trigger pack. Some are married to a weapon but some are not.

If you want to see machineguns in OR, go to the Albany shoot, usually held in Octoiber.

m03
09-15-2012, 7:44 AM
Iirc, no imported MGs intended for civi sales post 68?

I believe you're right. Post-1968 imports were stuck as dealer-samples only. They became "Pre-May Dealer Samples" as of May 1986, and they're more valuable than post-May dealer samples since they can be retained after the FFL/SOT has expired.

G36 is an H&K, right? The trigger pack for an HK-91, 93, 94, etc might fit. If so... rock n roll. The transferable part of an HK full-auto is the trigger pack. Some are married to a weapon but some are not.

Nope. The G36 is different from the earlier G3 family of weapons, and the sears/packs are not interchangeable.

desertmedic
09-15-2012, 4:19 PM
I was in northern OR just south of Potland. Gladstone/Oregon City area. Mt. Hood just to the east. We went shooting in the forests near Estacada. In an old gravel pit to be exact. I left it on because I forgot to pack an Allen wrench. lol

About theG36... I thought it was too good to be true. But the SBR's an silencers were very intriguing!

Oh, and if any of you visit that part of the country I STRONGLY suggest hiking to the top of Multnomah Falls. Absolutely beautiful view of the Columbia River from up there!!

jkody
09-15-2012, 7:14 PM
Oregon rocks. My family has a ranch in southern Oregon and we have our own 200 yard range there. I keep my Cali illegal goodies there to shoot when I go up there.

MrPlink
09-15-2012, 8:24 PM
"the dream of the 90s is alive in portland" (for all u hip kids out there :p )

sigstroker
09-15-2012, 8:27 PM
Except for the dumb law about not pumping your own gas.

XVIga_Rob
09-15-2012, 8:51 PM
I was in northern OR just south of Potland. Gladstone/Oregon City area. Mt. Hood just to the east. We went shooting in the forests near Estacada. In an old gravel pit to be exact. I left it on because I forgot to pack an Allen wrench. lol

About theG36... I thought it was too good to be true. But the SBR's an silencers were very intriguing!

Oh, and if any of you visit that part of the country I STRONGLY suggest hiking to the top of Multnomah Falls. Absolutely beautiful view of the Columbia River from up there!!

That hike up the hill is just the beginning. The trails in the Gorge are my favorite hiking trails over anywhere else! The fishing up is pretty good too!

The law seems stupid, sure. But trust me, When it's snowing or freeezing rain is falling, and the wind is blowing hard, it's nice to just roll the window down an inch and slip the gas jockey some cash to pump your gas while you sip your coffee in your toasty warm car/truck.
That same law provides a ton of jobs. Oh, and the cost of gas is still cheaper than here.

Sometimes, I regret moving back here. :(

ouch1
09-17-2012, 10:21 AM
The law seems stupid, sure. But trust me, When it's snowing or freeezing rain is falling, and the wind is blowing hard, it's nice to just roll the window down an inch and slip the gas jockey some cash to pump your gas while you sip your coffee in your toasty warm car/truck.
That same law provides a ton of jobs. Oh, and the cost of gas is still cheaper than here.

Sometimes, I regret moving back here. :(
Your not the only one I live up there from '02 to '05. I miss not having to pump my own gas, ammo being cheaper, and lots of BLM land to go hunt/shooting on.

Why oh why did I move back to Cali??? Oh yeah!!! Better pay!!! I was making 1/3 the amount I am making now doing the same darn thing!

-ouch1

702Shooter
09-18-2012, 12:28 AM

That's a nice hike. Next time you are there, check out the Eagle Creek trail a few miles East of Multnomah Falls. More waterfalls and IMHO, a much neater area.

caldude
09-18-2012, 7:49 AM
All of the reasons above are part of why we're retiring to the Medford area in a few years. I already have a list of firearms, magazines, and suppressors to buy once I'm up there.

XVIga_Rob
09-18-2012, 7:36 PM
Why oh why did I move back to Cali??? Oh yeah!!! Better pay!!! I was making 1/3 the amount I am making now doing the same darn thing!

-ouch1

Hahahaha....I brought my job with me. No change in pay, just everything cost more here. Guess that's the cost of trying to live closer to a few family members. :rolleyes: Someday, I'll move back, and have a little property.

Quiet
09-18-2012, 9:45 PM
I believe you're right. Post-1968 imports were stuck as dealer-samples only. They became "Pre-May Dealer Samples" as of May 1986, and they're more valuable than post-May dealer samples since they can be retained after the FFL/SOT has expired.

Nope. The G36 is different from the earlier G3 family of weapons, and the sears/packs are not interchangeable.

This is correct.

dwtt
09-19-2012, 5:52 AM
So, recently came back from norther Oregon (son got married) and man, what a great state!! Went in to a gun store and was blown away... SBR's, silencers, class III weapons all easily available with no stigma in owning them. One of the salesmen was showing me a sweet select fire, silenced G36c. wanted to know if I wanted to buy it and I had to look down and sadly say I was from CA.

There are posts like this that pop up occasionally about how good it is outside of CA, and everyone piles on saying they would love to own these things. However, I bet 95% of people on this forum would not buy Class 3 weapons if given the chance. Those things are expensive and most people here would rather pay the rent than buy a suppressor or a SBR.

Norcalkid
09-19-2012, 6:21 AM
There are posts like this that pop up occasionally about how good it is outside of CA, and everyone piles on saying they would love to own these things. However, I bet 95% of people on this forum would not buy Class 3 weapons if given the chance. Those things are expensive and most people here would rather pay the rent than buy a suppressor or a SBR.

I donít know. I think we can all agree there arenít going to be more of them and the prices arenít going down any time soon. Gun guys collect and buy guns just as car guys buy cars. How many guys do you know that have a second car that costs the same as a class 3 gun? They donít need it but they found a way to afford it because they really wanted it. I mean Iím a bartender and some of the cheaper class 3 stuff is easily within my reach. And the funny thing is, as fun as it would be it probably wouldnít be a bad long term investment. I would sure enjoy a cool gun more than looking at my money in the market on a computer screen.

Capybara
09-19-2012, 7:11 AM
If I lived in Oregon, I would own a Slidefire, a metric ton of Tannerite, my Uzi would be an SBR and I would buy a stock and a tax stamp for my AR pistol.

I too have talked myself out of an MG if I ever move to a free state, just not worth it. I could buy a decent car for the same price.

chead
09-19-2012, 8:52 AM
I'd bet it was a well-converted SL8-6 with a registered trigger pack, which is bad ***.

luchador768
09-19-2012, 8:55 AM
Look through the ads for class 3 dealers, there are a lot of MAC sub-guns in the $4-6k range. Not too bad really, and a 9mm or .45 would be cheap to feed if you reload. Uzi bolts are $5-10k and you can build a gun around it for another $700.

TwinStick
09-19-2012, 9:02 AM
I can't wait to move back to OR/WA (PDX area). My whole family and my wife's whole family are there. We came to CA about 11 years ago and we're just now getting ready to return in the next 4-6 months at most.

J.D.Allen
09-19-2012, 10:37 AM
AZ>OR

And yes, I did live in OR, for two years. Couldn't wait to get out of there. The economy sucks, the weather sucks, etc, etc...

In AZ you have all the same liberties in regards to the 2A as you do in OR, plus constitutional carry, and no local or county restrictions on OC. Plus you can actually earn a decent wage and the unemployment rate is less then 12%

762.DEFENSE
09-19-2012, 10:49 AM
AZ>OR

And yes, I did live in OR, for two years. Couldn't wait to get out of there. The economy sucks, the weather sucks, etc, etc...

In AZ you have all the same liberties in regards to the 2A as you do in OR, plus constitutional carry, and no local or county restrictions on OC. Plus you can actually earn a decent wage and the unemployment rate is less then 12%

Agreed! :thumbsup:

TwinStick
09-19-2012, 10:57 AM
No offense, but I much prefer the forest over the desert. I have spent enough time in AZ to know that the people are cool. Better than SoCal, but it's the climate that's waaay better in the PNW. Don't forget that the PNW will have fresh water to burn during AZ's droughts. So OR>AZ. Nana nana booboo, stick your head in doo doo.

hnoppenberger
09-19-2012, 11:03 AM

this is a joke right? people at rifle gear lining up to buy 3 grand lwrc's, scars and HK's they cant keep them in stock, and your telling me 800 dollar suppressors or 1200 dollar colt commandos would not sell just as well??? you are mistaken poorly my friend, poorly.

and trust me, i hate CA's government

JDW67
09-19-2012, 11:10 AM
It's funny to me when I hear people say they want to move from California to _______ so they can own nfa items.

Whatever floats your boat. I can't see leaving my state just so I can indulge in a hobby that is only about 1% of my life. Which translates to an hour of shooting at a range every 4 - 6 weeks.

jonzer77
09-19-2012, 11:18 AM
It's funny to me when I hear people say they want to move from California to _______ so they can own nfa items.

Whatever floats your boat. I can't see leaving my state just so I can indulge in a hobby that is only about 1% of my life. Which translates to an hour of shooting at a range every 4 - 6 weeks.

Firearms are just a bonus for getting to leave a nanny state that tries to tax you to death and tell you what to do :)

Jeepers
09-19-2012, 11:27 AM

whats wrong with full service for less then what i pay at am/pm to pump my own in CA ?

its been 3 or 4 years since i been out to Vale OR. but back then it was cheaper gas for full service then pump your own in CA ...

TwinStick
09-19-2012, 12:44 PM
whats wrong with full service for less then what i pay at am/pm to pump my own in CA ?

its been 3 or 4 years since i been out to Vale OR. but back then it was cheaper gas for full service then pump your own in CA ...

This is still accurate. Or at least it was in July when I was there last.

J.D.Allen
09-19-2012, 12:50 PM
but it's the climate that's waaay better in the PNW.

Sorry dude, agree to disagree. I like seeing the sun.

Don't forget that the PNW will have fresh water to burn during AZ's droughts.

Yeah. Way, way too much water. So much that it doesn't stop raining from October to freakin May. UGH! No bueno.

dfletcher
09-19-2012, 12:52 PM
All of the reasons above are part of why we're retiring to the Medford area in a few years. I already have a list of firearms, magazines, and suppressors to buy once I'm up there.

The best "gun store" I found there is in Medford and it's a pawn shop. I don't recall the name of the place but it's downtown, head south off Crater Lake Highway. Crater Lake is fine with Good Guys Guns and the big stores, but I could have spent a year's pay in that shop. It wasn't that far from the local strip joint.

J.D.Allen
09-19-2012, 12:53 PM

Well whatever floats your boat dude. Shooting isn't just a hobby to most of the folks here. It is serious business. And it's about way, waaaay more than just NFA stuff. Like, being able to actually get a carry license without having to say mother may I (if you can get one at all in your county). And also no freaking idiotic bullet buttons, AW lists, or neutered mags either.

glener541
09-19-2012, 12:56 PM
in oregon ak is ok, ar15 tiny, 338 barrett so so//country boys will survive, did you notice how many ar15 in trucks, and homes, there is a reason for that

TwinStick
09-19-2012, 1:17 PM
Sorry dude, agree to disagree...
Then we have an accord to disagree. :)

TwinStick
09-19-2012, 1:20 PM
in oregon ak is ok, ar15 tiny, 338 barrett so so//country boys will survive, did you notice how many ar15 in trucks, and homes, there is a reason for that

Are you ESL? :D J/K, I really can't understand what you meant to say though.

JDW67
09-19-2012, 1:27 PM
Well whatever floats your boat dude. Shooting isn't just a hobby to most of the folks here. It is serious business. And it's about way, waaaay more than just NFA stuff. Like, being able to actually get a carry license without having to say mother may I (if you can get one at all in your county). And also no freaking idiotic bullet buttons, AW lists, or neutered mags either.

What's so serious about punching holes in paper at the range? Heck, even in your avatar, all you're doing is shooting at the range...

TwinStick
09-19-2012, 1:33 PM
What's so serious about punching holes in paper at the range? Heck, even in your avatar, all you're doing is shooting at the range...

Just because he's at a range in 1 photo doesn't mean that's all he does. Maybe he's a writer for Guns n Ammo, maybe he's a cop, maybe he works for a manufacturer. Point is, shooting is more than just a hobby for some people.

JDW67
09-19-2012, 1:36 PM
Just because he's at a range in 1 photo doesn't mean that's all he does. Maybe he's a writer for Guns n Ammo, maybe he's a cop, maybe he works for a manufacturer. Point is, shooting is more than just a hobby for some people.

That's a whole lot of maybes. And unless you're a cop or military, how can it be more than a hobby?

TwinStick
09-19-2012, 1:39 PM
That's a whole lot of maybes. And unless you're a cop or military, how can it be more than a hobby?

It can be more than a hobby if it's a career. It's more than a hobby if you think it's imperative for survival. It's more than a hobby if you're hunting for food.

JDW67
09-19-2012, 1:43 PM
It can be more than a hobby if it's a career. It's more than a hobby if you think it's imperative for survival. It's more than a hobby if you're hunting for food.

I doubt anyone on Calguns is hunting for survival...;)

TwinStick
09-19-2012, 1:49 PM
I doubt anyone on Calguns is hunting for survival...;)

I never said they were. I said hunting and survival in two different scenarios. My point is that you are wrong to assume that everyone here shoots for hobby only. You are wrong for assuming that 1 photo of someone in their avatar means that's the only thing they do. Lastly, you are wrong for arguing your point when you know you were wrong to begin with (that's double-wrong).

Have a nice day.

JDW67
09-19-2012, 1:55 PM
I never said they were. I said hunting and survival in two different scenarios. My point is that you are wrong to assume that everyone here shoots for hobby only. You are wrong for assuming that 1 photo of someone in their avatar means that's the only thing they do. Lastly, you are wrong for arguing your point when you know you were wrong to begin with (that's double-wrong).

Have a nice day.

Nevermind...don't want to stoop down to your level...

jonzer77
09-19-2012, 2:02 PM

Not everyone punches holes in paper, some of us shoot steel :)

Some of us compete and train to protect ourselves and don't see firearms as a hobby but rather a right to defend our families and ourselves. Some people would like to leave CA because of several other factors and firearm freedom just happens to he the tipping point. When a government doesn't trust you with firearms, what does that say about how they regard your rights?

luchador768
09-19-2012, 2:08 PM
There is a whole other world of Class 3 Shoots and comp's. You should see some of the Class 3 race guns out there!

TwinStick
09-19-2012, 2:34 PM
Nevermind...don't want to stoop down to your level...

Wrong again.