PDA

View Full Version : STG 58, legal?

mike_the_wino
09-14-2012, 6:52 PM
With a bullet button, or featureless, is this CA legal? I looked on the chart but it doesn't seemed to be named....or I missed it?

So. Is it legal and what's a fair price for one?

wash
09-14-2012, 6:59 PM
FN FAL is listed as well as Springfield SAR48.

As long as your receiver is not marked that way, your rifle is legal. For example, the DSA version of an STG58 is offered in California legal trim although they weld the magazine in the upper which is technically not required.

GettoPhilosopher
09-14-2012, 7:14 PM
FN FAL is listed as well as Springfield SAR48.

As long as your receiver is not marked that way, your rifle is legal. For example, the DSA version of an STG58 is offered in California legal trim although they weld the magazine in the upper which is technically not required.

Close but not quite. They don't weld the magazine to the upper. They (pardon my completely untechnical language) put a big gloop of metal behind the magazine release so it can't move. A dremel with a thin grinder head or even (slowly) a cutoff wheel will get rid of it. It's been a few years, so I don't remember if it still had the magazine spring in it....I think I had to order one from DSA at a whopping $2 (http://www.dsarms.com/Magazine-Release-Spring---060/productinfo/060/). Call them and they can usually just throw it in an envelope to save you shipping costs.

dfletcher
09-14-2012, 8:04 PM
Close but not quite. They don't weld the magazine to the upper. They (pardon my completely untechnical language) put a big gloop of metal behind the magazine release so it can't move. A dremel with a thin grinder head or even (slowly) a cutoff wheel will get rid of it. It's been a few years, so I don't remember if it still had the magazine spring in it....I think I had to order one from DSA at a whopping $2 (http://www.dsarms.com/Magazine-Release-Spring---060/productinfo/060/). Call them and they can usually just throw it in an envelope to save you shipping costs.

Having seen the work I think "gloop" is the technical term. :)

I removed mine with a narrow file, the mag spring is not included in the STG.

IIRC when I bought mine about 6 years back there were rumors floating about that CA wouldn't allow the thing in unless the mag was permanently attached. What the rumors were based on, some bit of truth or the usual nothing I don't remember. But it seems the DSA FAL is prone to the "mag welded in" recollection.

wash
09-14-2012, 8:43 PM
I heard magazine welded in but I wasn't rich enough to buy complete DSA rifles, I only bought stripped receivers and parts kits (including two G1 marked uppers and two primo G1 kits ;-).

Krill
09-14-2012, 10:25 PM
they also make bullet buttons called PRKs i think.

mike_the_wino
12-13-2012, 6:21 PM
If STG-58 isn't banned by name, are they transferable?*

*no FAL markings

mike_the_wino
12-13-2012, 6:22 PM

*no FAL markings

Chaos47
12-13-2012, 7:44 PM

*no FAL markings

If it is not an "Assault weapon" then yes it can be transferred PPT at an FFL.

Just because it is not banned by name does not necessarily make a firearm not an "AW" it has to be properly configured as well.

So yes if it is not banned by name and is properly configured you can own / buy / sell (Unless its registered as a RAW) one in CA.

sigstroker
12-13-2012, 9:37 PM
There were no real STG-58's imported so they won't be on the list.