PDA

View Full Version : How loud

A1sauce
09-14-2012, 7:21 PM
Hey...I have a serious ground squirrel problem. The pesky critters are gun shy and fast, so hard to take out with my .22 using subsonic ammo. I have a short barrel single shot 20 gauge (snake charmer) that might be just a little too loud for the neighbors, although I live on a few acres in a very rural area and everybody shoots guns at one time or another...just wondering if it is worth investing in a .410? Are they a lot quieter than a 20 gauge? Are there 20 gauge shells that are nice and quiet, so why spend the money? Just looking for some quick info. Also, if I should buy a .410, which is a good value? Just need it for a ranch type gun, not for trap. Thx.

five.five-six
09-14-2012, 7:27 PM
Have you considered any of the air guns out there? They will cost more than a .410 up front but if the problem is as bad as you say it is, it won't take long for the price of ammo to even things out.

JMP
09-14-2012, 7:31 PM
Use 22lr ratshot. I'd think it would take care of a squirrel, and it is not that loud.

Or, an air rifle.

2nd Shot
09-14-2012, 8:15 PM
Just remember that the longer the barrel, the quieter. This is doubly true when it comes to shotguns and .22's loaded with rat shot. I have a feeling that 20 ga out of a snake charmer is going to be deafening, though it would be pretty awesome.

I helped a friend eliminate an insane rat infestation with .22LR shot - You had to be quite close (<3-7 feet) to get enough pellets for a solid kill but it did the job fine and was quiet enough to shoot repeatedly at night without making too much noise. The CCI's are more expensive but quieter than the Winchester shot cartridges. Just don't try to shoot them out of a pistol - it's MUCH louder.

Capybara
09-14-2012, 9:35 PM
My Father in law has a ranch up north, huge squirrel problem this year. Same problem, he has a .22 rifle but his neighbors are just a few hundred yards away. We shoot the squirrels but only high angle from the patio where we know that misses have a backstop. Problem is the stupid squirrels seem to know this and are always crowded where we can't shoot them because of the lack of backstop.

I told him to get a scoped airgun, will be quieter, safer and easier to kill off the hordes.

Turo
09-14-2012, 9:57 PM
Use 22lr ratshot. I'd think it would take care of a squirrel, and it is not that loud.

Or, an air rifle.

Just know that ratshot doesn't even scare birds off unless you're within 25 feet or so. I highly doubt it would even faze a squirrel at any appreciable distance.

My dad uses a .22 shotgun (.22lr, but smooth barrel so shot only) to scare off pigeons from the rafters in his shop, but they won't even move unless you're directly below them.

TKM
09-14-2012, 10:13 PM
http://www.urbanriflesupply.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=92:29-barrel&catid=82:barrels&Itemid=534

The Urban Rifle people have some cool products.

A1sauce
09-15-2012, 8:14 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions, but no love for the 410?

CSACANNONEER
09-15-2012, 8:28 AM
I love .410s. But, if you can't hit them with .22lrs, you aren't going to do much better with a .410. A .22 with shotshells isn't going to help you at all unless, your shot are less than 10 yards. I own plenty of .22lrs, a .22lr Routledge ( it's a .22lr shotgun), 5 or 6 .410s, a, airgun shotgun and about a dozen air rifles. My personal choices for ground squirrels are either any .22lr rifle with either standard velocity (subsonic) or high velocity rounds or, better yet, a surpressed air rifle.

If you're close enough to me, I could bring a few different things over to try.

BigDogatPlay
09-15-2012, 9:59 AM
A .410 isn't that much less noise than a 20 gauge to be perfectly honest. If you need quiet your best results are going to be a .22 rifle (bolt or lever) with something subsonic or quality airgun.

FWIW I used to take plenty of rats moles and gophers with a Marlin 39A lever loaded with CCI CB caps. 600 fps +/-, head shots no problem at 25 yards, and out of he 24 inch barrel all anyone could hear was the hammer hitting the bolt.

Newshooter
09-15-2012, 11:07 AM
You can always try a chamber reducer for your 20 gauge. "Chambermates" are one manufacturere that makes an insert to reduce your 20 gauge to a 410. You can try out the .410 shell to see if you notice a difference in noise levels.

therealnickb
09-15-2012, 11:21 AM
Can't help you with the 410 but.... If you go the air gun route don't get a .22. I have a co2 pistol and a spring RWS 34. Neither is quiet.

AK all day
09-15-2012, 11:41 AM
Super collibri .22LR Is very very quiet.

kentactic
09-15-2012, 11:49 AM
Wouldnt simply shooting supersonic ammo solve the problem of them ducking from the muzzle report? im sure thats quieter then a .410

But still i cant imagine them being able to duck inbetween the sound report and bullet... thats got to be an insanely short time between the two... Maybe practice on some cans?... lol

MuddvilleHustler
09-15-2012, 3:43 PM
How about a squirrel flinga 2000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fINmQ633tQ4&feature=related

ElDub1950
09-15-2012, 3:54 PM
Wouldnt simply shooting supersonic ammo solve the problem of them ducking from the muzzle report? im sure thats quieter then a .410

But still i cant imagine them being able to duck inbetween the sound report and bullet... thats got to be an insanely short time between the two... Maybe practice on some cans?... lol

That's what I was thinking .. I doubt that the misses are caused by crafty squirrels jumping out of the way of the bullets. More likely the misses are caused by .. well, missing!:D

A1sauce
09-15-2012, 8:01 PM
There is also the issue of not always having a back stop which is why the shot gun seemed appropriate. BTW, I have nailed several of them, but now they see me coming. Maybe they are smarter than me...since they already know where I hide in wait.