PDA

View Full Version : Help with some handgun values please!

Bobby Ricigliano
09-14-2012, 5:57 PM
Hello all,

I have a non CG friend who is looking to sell a couple of handguns and I offered to post them up on Calguns for him. These are not guns that I am interested or know much about, so I am appealing for ballpark estimates as to what they might fetch on the CG marketplace.

1. Colt Detective Special .38 revolver, 2" barrel. It looks to be a later model with rubber grips and the full length underlug. Blued steel. The gun appears to be in very good condition with little use and no real visible wear. The only apparent downside is that the seller had a gunsmith bob the hammer for use as a pocket gun. The pistol functions normally, but the hammer has been altered for pocket carry. No box or accessories. Gun only.

2. Davis .380 in chrome finish and black grips. 1 magazine, original box and packaging. Excellent condition.

I will post pics of these firearms as soon as he sends them to me. I inspected both and they are in very good shape. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Meety Peety
09-14-2012, 6:07 PM
The colt is going to depend on the year. See if you can date it. In 95% condition you'd get anywhere from $450 to $800 depending on the date and buyer's desire for the gun. To be fair, I doubt you'd get many bites above $700 but I have seen some desperate collectors pick these up for as much as $900 in 100% condition. Now, due to the rubber grips I'm assuming its a pretty late model, probably early 90's +, so you're probably looking at around the $500 mark.. assuming the buyer is okay with the hammer being altered. I would expect to take a hefty loss due to this alteration, but it really depends on the buyer. The definitive price to set this at lies within the serial number.

No information on the Davis, but based on a quick gunbroker search, there's one listed for $50 lol. Maybe someone else will chime in on this one.

EDIT: Just for giggles, when you get a picture of the Colt, mind PMing me? I may be interested..

random name
09-14-2012, 6:21 PM
The 380 paper weight I would think 240 MAX on a good day,
150 would probably sell quickly.
I would not bite for anything over 99

Bobby Ricigliano
09-14-2012, 8:04 PM
The colt is going to depend on the year. See if you can date it. In 95% condition you'd get anywhere from $450 to $800 depending on the date and buyer's desire for the gun. To be fair, I doubt you'd get many bites above $700 but I have seen some desperate collectors pick these up for as much as $900 in 100% condition. Now, due to the rubber grips I'm assuming its a pretty late model, probably early 90's +, so you're probably looking at around the $500 mark.. assuming the buyer is okay with the hammer being altered. I would expect to take a hefty loss due to this alteration, but it really depends on the buyer. The definitive price to set this at lies within the serial number.

No information on the Davis, but based on a quick gunbroker search, there's one listed for $50 lol. Maybe someone else will chime in on this one.

EDIT: Just for giggles, when you get a picture of the Colt, mind PMing me? I may be interested..

Thanks for all that info. I will PM you when I get the pictures up.

Bobby Ricigliano
09-14-2012, 8:10 PM
The 380 paper weight I would think 240 MAX on a good day,
150 would probably sell quickly.
I would not bite for anything over 99

I appreciate the feedback. I fear those estimates are a bit optimistic, but thanks anyway!

random name
09-14-2012, 8:31 PM
They are a bit optimistic.
I've seen a few (clueless) people pay 200 range thinking they got something like a makarov vs bersa.
production cost $15 wholesale price $55 retail price of $95
Calguns price you pay my DROS.