PDA

View Full Version : AR pistols in gun stores

johnnydizzy
09-14-2012, 5:38 PM
they just put a sled in and lock it up with a bullet button, leaving the gas system on. Is this enough to meet the requirement of SSE? Just thought you have to make it non-gas operated pistol.

Did anyone buy one or just make your own?

ke6guj
09-14-2012, 5:43 PM
they just put a sled in and lock it up with a bullet button, leaving the gas system on. Is this enough to meet the requirement of SSE?how many rounds can it fire without you reloading it. ONE? legal.

you have a self-extracting single-shot pistol, but it is still a single-shot pistol.

Just thought you have to make it non-gas operated pistol.

Did anyone buy one or just make your own?that was bwiese's admittedly overcautious position in the early days of the SSE.

wash
09-14-2012, 6:15 PM
I took an AR pistol to a gun store once just to show the owner what kind of cool and expensive stuff he could be selling if he did SSE.

AR pistols are probably the easiest SSE there is, it needs a mag lock any way (due to the CA "assault weapon" ban), the barrels are rarely under 7.5" (dimensionally compliant) and bob-sleds are off the shelf available items (making it single shot).

ROCKETW19
09-14-2012, 10:26 PM
heres a question for ya guys.
I have a HK USP 9mm bought 100 yrs ago came with the hi cap mag totaly leagal to use
can I use a hi cap mag in a AR pistol that I had 100 yrs ago also?

zfields
09-14-2012, 10:27 PM
No.

Read the definitions of an assault weapon for pistols.

johnnydizzy
09-14-2012, 11:43 PM
100 years ago?

jeffxbr
09-23-2012, 3:20 PM
heres a question for ya guys.
I have a HK USP 9mm bought 100 yrs ago came with the hi cap mag totaly leagal to use
can I use a hi cap mag in a AR pistol that I had 100 yrs ago also?

If its a pistol you are allowed to use old magazines that you owned before the ban. For example if you owned glock hicaps before the ban you can use them on a new glock.
Im not sure if you can on a AR pistol since the magazine is not in the grip..
Not on a rifle because it would be consider a assault weapon

Cyc Wid It
09-23-2012, 3:21 PM
These questions are all explicitly answered in the flow charts and stickies.

wash
09-23-2012, 6:34 PM
You can use pre-ban standard capacity AR magazines in a featureless AR rifle or a registered "assault weapon".

California legal off list AR pistols require a fixed magazine with a capacity of 10 or fewer rounds.

You could block your pre-ban magazines to 10 round capacity and use them but the act of locking in a magazine with the ability to hold eleven or more rounds is illegally creating a pistol assault weapon if the magazine well isn't in the pistol grip.

Quiet
09-23-2012, 7:19 PM
Semi-auto pistols that have a fixed magazine capacity greater than 10 rounds are considered assault weapons. [PC 30515(a)(5)]

Penal Code 30515
(a) Notwithstanding Section 30510, "assault weapon" also means any of the following:
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning the bearer's hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.
(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.