PDA

View Full Version : 80% FFL Question

Yugo
09-14-2012, 5:40 PM
I know if I have a finished 80% (which at that point is a 100%) will require a FFL for me to sell it.

What if I have a 80% with the pocket milled out but not the side holes (lets say that would be 90%) Can I still sell it as a paper weight?

MrPlink
09-14-2012, 5:58 PM
Nope

GuillermoAntonio
09-14-2012, 5:59 PM
I tought the reason they sell 80% lowers is because 80% is the max advance you can have on the finish before they are considered officially a "Lower".
Otherwise we could possible see 85%, 90% or even 99% lowers.. NO?

rromeo
09-14-2012, 6:03 PM
There is not a real percentage law, but the ATF has opinions on how much work can be done before it becomes a firearm. With that considered, any work done would theoretically make the "non-firearm" into a firearm.

Yugo
09-14-2012, 6:26 PM
So would this be considered a, take your chances situation? Is there a PC for this?

MrPlink
09-14-2012, 6:34 PM
Is this worth 35 dollars?

Write the atf a letter if you want.

wash
09-14-2012, 7:00 PM
I don't know the code but selling a firearm without an FFL is illegal.

ATF writes determination letters for 80% paperweights and they recently said that pre-drilled selector holes tip a paperweight in to a firearm. That's why you can't buy pocket and pin hole style 80% paperweights with the selector hole drilled.

If you don't have a determination letter, I wouldn't cut the pocket or drill any holes. I would engrave it, anodize or coat it and maybe do stuff like tapping the rear takedown pin detent hole for a set screw. So you can change anything that is already finished but not finish anything that's incomplete on an 80% and still treat it as 80%.

If it's a pistol lower, pay attention to handgun laws, like transporting it in a locked container.

hsiehjohn
09-14-2012, 7:22 PM
you better go read the regs. You can't sell the receiver when it becomes 100%, they will get you for manufacturing a firearm without a manufacturer's license. Just buy one with the serial number in the first place and by-pass the drama.

Yugo
09-14-2012, 7:24 PM
you better go read the regs. You can't sell the receiver when it becomes 100%, they will get you for manufacturing a firearm without a manufacturer's license. Just buy one with the serial number in the first place and by-pass the drama.

You either did not read or understand my question. Thanks for trying.

motorwerks
09-14-2012, 7:28 PM

that's wrong.

CSACANNONEER
09-14-2012, 7:36 PM

"Someone" needs to read the laws. One can sell a homebuilt firearm if, it was not manufactured with the intent to sell it, it is properly marked and (in CA) if it goes through a FFL. Also, a receiver only needs to be +80% done to require all this.