PDA

View Full Version : Which handguns hold their value over time?

joe321
09-14-2012, 11:53 AM
I already have a glock and I've been really wanting to get a Kimber 1911. I know glocks sell pretty good over time, but what do you guys think about the Kimber? I think Guns are kinda cool because even though they're expensive, you can sell them if you need to. I've only been a gun owner for about a year, so i'm still unfamiliar with the market. Which guns hold their value?

luckyduck
09-14-2012, 12:01 PM
I'm very new to all of this. But in my brief research, I've noticed that handguns that hold there value are (a gun need not possess all of these qualities, but should possess more than one):

a. Made by a respectable manufacturer
b. carry the distinction of limited quantity, rarity.
c. have a timeless design that has not been consistently updated
d. Have an interesting history (usage by various actors)
e. Have a reputation for durability and reliability
f. Have a sizeable market for replacement parts, accesorries, etc.

vector16
09-14-2012, 12:10 PM
I already have a glock and I've been really wanting to get a Kimber 1911. I know glocks sell pretty good over time, but what do you guys think about the Kimber? I think Guns are kinda cool because even though they're expensive, you can sell them if you need to. I've only been a gun owner for about a year, so i'm still unfamiliar with the market. Which guns hold their value?

Alost all big name guns hold their value. Even not so big names depending on the market you sell on. Take some of my Hi-Points I have had. I bought my C9 for $129, two years later I sold it PPT for $139, I had a 4095TS I bought for $359 and sold it PPT a year later for almost $400. I would have gotten aqlot less from a dealer but its the market you sell it on. You will always get more PPT than from a dealer because a dealer will want to make money and a private sell you can tell the person that they are buying a great gun and they do not have to pay tax, SHHHHH!!!.
I have a Sigma SW40VE I bought for $329 and I can get $300 for it on a trade in or $330 PPT. I do own 2 Glocks, 17 and a 21 which I got online and I can probably get what I paid for them PPT or $75 less thru a dealer.
I kimber is a great gun. If you want one to really hold its value do not get the $750 one they have at BPS or the one on sale at Turners. You would want to go higher end. 1911s are always a safe bet to invest in, much more prized than a Plastic gun. If you had a Clot 1911 GI you could get almost double what you paid on the right market. If you are thinking a good gun that you will have for a while and you don't what to spend a whole lot of money, look into a Taurus 1911pt made in the USA. Also a great investment is the SR1911 if you can get your hands on one. The older S&W whell guns are a great investment too.

tbc
09-14-2012, 12:19 PM
I'm very new to all of this. But in my brief research, I've noticed that handguns that hold there value are (a gun need not possess all of these qualities, but should possess more than one):

a. Made by a respectable manufacturer
b. carry the distinction of limited quantity, rarity.
c. have a timeless design that has not been consistently updated
d. Have an interesting history (usage by various actors)
e. Have a reputation for durability and reliability
f. Have a sizeable market for replacement parts, accesorries, etc.

Nice list! Finding one that fits b. and f. would be difficult IMO.

Removing criteria f, the HK P7 series are good candidates.

unusedusername
09-14-2012, 12:33 PM
Pretty much all guns hold their value as long as you don't beat them up. It is unlikely that they will appreciate enough to call them an "investment", but they will usually hold their own against inflation.

Even crappy guns like Lorcins sell for more then they were purchased at due to a group of collectors that enjoy collecting guns of that type.

vector16
09-14-2012, 12:34 PM
the HK P7 series are good candidates.

ANY 1911 is the canidate. Then comes Glock then SIG and the big american guns are in there, CZ is always good, Dan Wesson you can't go wrong with, you may think a Deset Eagle would be too but you would be wrong. The FNs are a great choice. If you are looking for an investment that is one thing, if you are looking for a good gun that you will have alot of fun with is another. If you are asking, " I want a gun to use for a long time and if the time should ever come where I need some cold hard cash then you are asking an entirely different question. You can not go wrong with a Colt 1911, not the 1991 models, but the 1911 originals.

Dont_Shoot_im_Chinese
09-14-2012, 12:39 PM
The firearms that can retain or make you money are the rare ones, ones that may not be in production anymore, or may have a chance of being banned or whatnot

reckoner
09-14-2012, 12:42 PM
Hi-Points! I bought one for $20, and sold it later for $20.

vector16
09-14-2012, 1:09 PM
Hi-Points! I bought one for $20, and sold it later for $20.

There you go, it retained its value.

Alos something to look at is the warranty of the gun you are spending your money on. Hi-poits have an unconditional warranty. This means that if you do anything to the gun that makes it unuseable no matter if you are the 1st owner or the 10th owner all you do is call them and they will send you the part for nothing or you can send it in and get it fixed fro free. That is the best warranty out there out of any gun maker.

silaic7
09-14-2012, 1:11 PM
There you go, it retained its value.

Alos something to look at is the warranty of the gun you are spending your money on. Hi-poits have an unconditional warranty. This means that if you do anything to the gun that makes it unuseable no matter if you are the 1st owner or the 10th owner all you do is call them and they will send you the part for nothing or you can send it in and get it fixed fro free. That is the best warranty out there out of any gun maker.

I agree, mine sold the same price i bought it :-) :p

Rule .308
09-14-2012, 1:26 PM
Like most people have said, good, quality guns will hold their value. If you want to get something that will increase in value you need to spend good money and buy stuff that they are no longer manufacturing like Colt revolvers, classic S&W revolvers, lugers, series 70 Colts etc.

willerfortheworld
09-14-2012, 1:26 PM
Most high end 1911s will hold their value. Older hk guns and many quality revolvers. I seen many Sig p226s that cost about 1200 new selling for around 700 so I guess the market varies. Can't go wrong with glock if you want a good poly pistol with good resale value. In most cases if you buy from a respectable manufacturer and keep it in good condition you can resale for a good amount.

gorenut
09-14-2012, 1:29 PM
Yea, most big players hold their value. Select S&W and Colt wheelguns go up in value as well as some 1911s and Hi-Powers depending. I've had at least 2 guns where value has gone up since I purchased.

Apec
09-14-2012, 1:46 PM
Depends on how quick you want to make a sale when it comes to that. Most of the time you will take a loss, counting tax/DROS. Mods/customization also do not add value, and in some cases they decrease it.

I have never seen a used gun that wasn't discontinued, rare, or in high demand that broke even on sale/retail price. Well, maybe some buyer with more money than gun-value familiarity may have jumped on one of those.

thenodnarb
09-14-2012, 1:59 PM
S&W revolvers!! Colt 1911s, anything John Moses Browning designed, like the 1911,hi-power, SA-22 takedown, Superposed, Auto-5 etc...
Movie guns, rediculous guns, popular guns, all steel guns.
The list goes on. Just stick on calguns and read. You'll find the good ones soon enough.

IMO though, polymer guns probably wont hold their original value over time. But maybe I'm off base there.

hyeg35
09-14-2012, 2:01 PM
If you can get your hands on an off roster gun in California, they will definitely hold their value if not increase.

1000stars
09-14-2012, 2:06 PM
Pre safety guns.

Bobby Ricigliano
09-14-2012, 3:13 PM
1911's
Pre lock S&W

wash
09-14-2012, 3:16 PM
Value comes from demand, scarcity and quality.

In a 1911, people love series 70 and pre series 70 Colts because they don't have series 80 safety BS and they have quality forged steel frames. They will also never be made again so there is scarcity.

Any new gun that is produced in large enough numbers to satisfy demand will not retain or gain value until they stop production, raise prices for new guns or maybe get banned.

Glocks, XDs, M&Ps, etc. have quality but no scarcity. They will only retain value as good shooters.

RIA 1911s will retain value about like an old Spanish 1911 copy. No one wants to touch it because it's not quite the same thing.

A Kimber can be a decent gun but the lack of scarcity, MIM parts and some recent QC issues may stop it from becoming collectable.

Old guns with quality that can't be found any more are the best bet.

shooting4life
09-14-2012, 3:50 PM
Don't buy guys as an investment. Most don't even keep up with inflation. Here are my secretes to buying guns that hold value. In order of importance.
1. You want to own the gun.
2. Purchase used.
3. You want to own the gun.
4. Make sure they don't make them any more.
5. Buy via ppt

I can sell most of my guns for a profit because of the above. Hunt for deals, you don't actually need a certain gun most of the time. You can wait till one pops up to the right price.
I have a large collection of rare and expensive revolvers. None of them were purchased because they might go up in value. All were purchased because I enjoy shooting revolvers. It is nice having a hobby that retains actual value.

vector16
09-14-2012, 3:53 PM
anything John Moses Browning designed.

OH yes, Browning makes some good stuff. I had a fishing pole made by Browning that I bought about 10 years ago. I sold that for double what I paid for it. Its not a gun but that tells you smoething about Browning in general. If I could afford some of there guns esspecially there shotguns I would not be wasting my time with Glock , Beretta, Mossberg, S&W, Ruger etc...

acolytes
09-14-2012, 3:54 PM
I remember when you could get an SKS for $90. Now it's hard to find one under $400.

Wrangler John
09-14-2012, 4:25 PM
Almost anything with a Rampant Colt trademark on it, antique or modern. Especially the SA Army or Peacemaker, Python, Anaconda, 1911 and all its variations including the new production, Colt Woodsman (especially the Match Target models). Even the AR-15's and variations. The 1855 Colt Revolving Rifle in any of the three calibers. The Lightning Rifle or Carbine in any of the three frame sizes from .22RF to .50-95 Express. If it's a Colt, it's golden or will be.

Wrangler John
09-14-2012, 4:37 PM
I remember when you could get an SKS for $90. Now it's hard to find one under $400.

I bought a new S&W Model 10 (Military and Police), .38 Special in about 1968 for $68. That $68 in 1968 had the same buying power as $452.68 in 2012. annual rate of inflation over the period 1968 to 2012 was 4.4% annually. Data from: http://www.dollartimes.com/calculators/inflation.htm In 1968 gas was around $0.40 per gallon, a restaurant steak dinner cost $2.00, and a pair of work pants went for around $6-$8.00.

It isn't the that the SKS's of the world are getting more valuable, although as the supply diminishes the value increases, what really is happening is that the dollar is worth much less. In 1968 I earned $360 per month (with room and board in employer's lodge, hospitalization insurance, travel expenses). That $360 is worth $2,396.52 per month today. 1968 Was the year silver was removed from the coins, leaving our money with no intrinsic value.

toby
09-14-2012, 4:44 PM
Sorry to say but Glock will never become an investment gun, sure there are a tiny few who will pay dearly for one but fanboy values don't count. Truth will hurt some.

cannon
09-14-2012, 4:51 PM
1, Colt 1911
2, HK P7 series
3, German Lugers

Damiiaaannn
09-14-2012, 4:53 PM
Springfield Pros with the Nowlin barrel.

Chameleon Loco
09-14-2012, 5:25 PM
All the colt snake guns hold their value well, as well as old smith and wesson revolvers. In california the ooff roster guns seem to be in high demand also. Even odd guns like the automags, early hk's, and the .458 1911's

dkthree
09-14-2012, 5:41 PM
You people are crazy!!!

Everyone knows Glock increase in value after purchase....just look at the classifieds!

:)

Riddler
09-14-2012, 5:43 PM
Colt Walker

ChaneRZ
09-14-2012, 6:01 PM
Ya Glock with a "trigger job 3.5 connector" can be had for 600-650 lol

SkiDevil
09-14-2012, 6:09 PM

There has been some good information provided. I agree with the statement that as a general rule purchasing a firearm is NOT an investment.

The only exceptions which come to mind are NFA ( pre-86 machine guns), custom firearms, and limited production/ rare items.

As someone suggested buy what you want. See if you can find a used Kimber there are many out there. I would look for one of the pre-II models. You will have a better made pistol and save some money in the process just watch the private sale forum.

Lastly, after purchasing many firearms and selling some of them, I would recommend researching every purchase and if possible firing the gun prior to buying via a gun rental or borrowing one first. Resist the temptation of buying the latest and greatest models. Select a quality well made firearm in a common caliber in the event it does not suit you it will be much easier to sell not to mention less costly to shoot.

Enjoy your new hobby it can be quite addicting.

vector16
09-14-2012, 7:45 PM
Glock values will only increase if you got a real good deal on it new. I buy from a plave that will give an additional 10% off of anyone elses best price. I got a good deal. Seierra arms offered me almost $50 more than what I paid for my 17 on a trade in.

Meety Peety
09-14-2012, 8:29 PM
If you're looking to be able to sell the gun for close to what you paid for it, the best bet if to buy used. Plenty of people seem to have guns that they rarely ever shot and/or just took very good care of for decent prices. If you browse the for sale section frequently, you'll eventually find a really good deal on a great gun. If you then do your part and keep in in decent shape (Don't be afraid to shoot it) and you factor that you got it for a lower than retail price, you should probably have no problem getting what you paid back. It would be a good idea to familiarize yourself with the average retail and second hand prices for a handful of guns that appeal to you and then learn how to spot signs that a gun has seen significantly more rounds than the seller claims, because you will run into that from time to time.

If your aim is to invest in a gun for huge profit, buy an OD Glock and sell it for 150% the price next week.

The Mad Mule
09-14-2012, 8:59 PM
I'm actually surprised that the several Colts on the Private Sale subforum aren't being snatched up within a couple days of listing.

hoss_hk
09-14-2012, 10:31 PM
or know what you are buying. Semi custom 1911s will hold value because most are off list right now. And these.. ain't no P7
http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y370/hossdk/DSC00362.jpg

Apec
09-14-2012, 10:55 PM
Colt 1911's will usually only hold value if they're stock. I see modded Colts selling for far less than unmodded guns in the same condition.

JTROKS
09-14-2012, 11:41 PM
Any Colt revolvers. Pythons in all barrel length.

LAKings22
09-15-2012, 12:44 AM
It's hard to say which gun will end up being worth more then you pay retail for today. However anything with quality will hold its value, you might break even or lose give or take 15%. I like buying my guns brand new. IMO if you like to sell/trade around your guns a lot, it makes more sense to buy used for a few hundred cheaper (also save on tax) for a used gun with only few hundred rounds fired. You will most likely break even if you decided to sell.

elsolo
09-15-2012, 8:44 AM
The one that holds it's value is the one you bought for a good price used after the original owner took the depreciation hit.

Trendy or fashionable new guns are less likely to hold value as well as classics.

PerfectReset
09-16-2012, 7:17 AM

Like anything, most of the more expensive modern guns will stand to lose more total dollars if you buy them new right now... I see 1911's on here for 2/3 what people paid for them all day. Assuming a Glock 19 sells for $525-550 new, I usually see them (with an extra max and holster or night sights) sell for $475-550 used, that to me is the most impressive reseller on here. The other guns that hold value best are very rare/desirable or something not offered in CA such as the M&P Shield, Walther PPQ that has great reviews... people want what they can't have ;)