PDA

View Full Version : RIA Tac sights won't budge. Trick to this?

dem0critus
09-14-2012, 11:22 AM
Anyone got a trick that doesn't involve buying a $100 tool to push my rear sight over a smidgen?

Before anyone asks, yes I'm sure they're off I've put the gun in a ransom rest and tested it.

hermosabeach
09-14-2012, 11:27 AM
I am not familiar with you specific sight

Brass punch set and a brass hammer from harbor freight
Or
Find a fellow cal gunner in your area with a tool. Cover there range fees and meet up to shoot and sight in

ShootinXs
09-14-2012, 11:35 AM
As stated above , brass punch set , vise ( plastic jaws or leather , wood ) to prevent marring the slide . and a couple layers of masking tape on the side of sight your tapping on.

wilit
09-14-2012, 11:50 AM
I replaced the sights on my RIA myself. They're loctited in place and require a bit of force to move them. You'll need a sturdy vise and good punches to move them.

InGrAM
09-14-2012, 11:54 AM
What they said above but instead of masking tape use duct tape. Also certain plastic punches work quite well and they will not leave brass on the sight.

My Father always says: "When it doesn't budge, get a bigger hammer."

Mnort10x
09-14-2012, 1:51 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/62fuelie/DSCN0401.jpg

Use a socket wrench and just add a piece of brass to screw against and your set. $5.00 in aluminum and $2.00 for steel and machine bolt.
Mechanical advantage, yea baby!

InGrAM
09-14-2012, 3:00 PM

Use a socket wrench and just add a piece of brass to screw against and your set. $5.00 in aluminum and $2.00 for steel and machine bolt.

I am interested in your set up could you show more pictures of how this works with the piece of brass. Thanks.

WDE91
09-14-2012, 3:16 PM
Better yet, use a brass screw

Res
09-14-2012, 8:50 PM
Better yet, use a brass screw

Just a guess. But I think the reason for using a piece of brass instead of a screw is that you can keep the piece static. The turning of the brass screw could cause marring to the side of the sight.

Lead Waster
09-14-2012, 9:38 PM

You are a smart, smart man! That's awesome!

Fishslayer
09-14-2012, 10:55 PM
Find a fellow cal gunner in your area with a tool. Cover there range fees and meet up to shoot and sight in

This is one of those occasions that putting one's location in one's details might be a help. I would be happy to do something like that and it wouldn't even cost anything. My range fees are paid for the year. :D

RECCE556
09-14-2012, 11:20 PM
Just a guess. But I think the reason for using a piece of brass instead of a screw is that you can keep the piece static. The turning of the brass screw could cause marring to the side of the sight.
+1

Simple mechanics...great idea Mnort10x! Also, for the side pieces, you can also use Delrin or some other hard polymer...way less likely to hurt or mark up the finish on your slide...also as cheap as aluminum (maybe even less).

JTROKS
09-14-2012, 11:36 PM
I replaced the sights on my RIA myself. They're loctited in place and require a bit of force to move them. You'll need a sturdy vise and good punches to move them.

If the sights don't have any plastic that can melt try using a bit of heat using a mini torch or BernzOmatic at low setting. A brass rod and a small hammer will nudge it off once the loctite loses it's grip.