View Full Version : Carbine class question

09-14-2012, 10:45 AM
I'm wanting to take a carbine class and for the required equipment it says, ..."Load bearing equipment: belt with magazine pouches or a chest rig or load bearing vest or plate carrier with pouches." So I wanted to get some opinions on chest rigs vs vests. Two that I'm looking at are these.
Voodoo Tactical Chest rig.

Voodoo Tactical MSP 06 vest

09-14-2012, 10:53 AM
Belts work much better. Generally you'll find most chest rigs heed your ability go move, go prone, and shoot correctly. IMHO, it's better to learn unimpeded and then when you're comfortable with what you're doing, you can explore alternatives. Most classes I've gone to always have a few tacti-cool guys with the crazy vests on the first day and have switched to simpler systems the remainder of the class after learning the hard way.

09-14-2012, 11:29 AM
Who's class are you taking? +1 to a belt setup. Google "battle belt" or "war belt"

09-14-2012, 2:23 PM
I've run a couple of carbine classes using a couple of mag pouches on my Wildnerness Instructor's belt and any others stuffed in back/cargo pockets and never felt undergeared.

While the class might determine it, in general I think most non-LE/MIL students are better served with a belt type setup. Either like I mention above or one of the purpose built "battle or war belts" as mentioned previously.

Check with the instuctor to see what they recommend. I think it's better to start off small scale and work up to what you feel works best for you.

09-14-2012, 2:34 PM
If this is your first class, stay simple. Use a belt mag pouch. My first couple of classes, I rand a Blue Force Gear triple ten-speed on my belt- it worked great. Carried additional in my back pocket.

Remember, you're paying good money to LEARN, not deal with adjusting/fixing/****ing with your gear all day.

09-14-2012, 2:36 PM
Thanks for the input. Never thought about a belt before. Looking into them now as I think that will be the better option.

09-14-2012, 2:37 PM
Who's class are you taking? +1 to a belt setup. Google "battle belt" or "war belt"

Thinking about this one... http://www.stcrispian.com/Classes.html

09-14-2012, 3:33 PM
I run a HSGI belt and taco pouches. I love it because the taco mag pouches are universal so I can run all different types of pistol and rifle magazines.

Wish I had a better picture of the whole belt but you get the idea.

09-14-2012, 3:35 PM
Thinking about this one... http://www.stcrispian.com/Classes.html

Stan is good trainer you'll have tons of fun.

09-14-2012, 7:48 PM
IMHO belts work better since your rig doesn't get caught up when transitioning from secondary to primary. HSGI Taco's are nice since they will work with AR, FAL, or AK mags. You'll end up saving money buying something that is universal. Also your going to need a good multi purpose single/dual point sling such as a Magpul MS3. Be sure to steer clear of AirSoft copies on Ebay and gun shows when shopping for gear.

09-14-2012, 8:41 PM
What's the verdict on the US PALM Attack Rack (https://www.uspalm.com/component/magebridge/us-palm-ak-attack-rack-v2.html?Itemid=102)?
Seems like a good hybrid.

09-14-2012, 8:53 PM
Carbine classes are about fundamentals not high volume shooting. Dont forget a lot of people will be using 10 round mags. For a Carbine I class you probably wouldnt need more than 2-3 mags per string. 1 in the gun and 2 on the belt plus ammo on stripper clips is ideal. Learning to shoot is more important than carrying a ton of crap.

However, once you have reached the level you want then gear up and go full ninja.

Mr Malarkey
09-14-2012, 9:11 PM
Wow $75, seems like a good deal for a carbine class.