PDA

View Full Version : How difficult you think it'd be to get out this idiot mark?

gorenut
09-13-2012, 10:47 PM
http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/306194000/306194732/pix162328836.jpg

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/306194000/306194732/pix656315900.jpg

How difficult you think it'd be to get out this idiot mark and how much would you pay for this gun?

EDIT: Its not my gun. Just want info.

CK_32
09-13-2012, 10:53 PM
Of course it's a 1911.. Haha

Another reason they shouldnt be carry guns. People have too much pride in them being pretty guns any little wear and it's ruined.

LOW2000
09-13-2012, 10:55 PM
How much would I pay for a 9mm 1911? Nada.

VampireTactics
09-13-2012, 10:56 PM
You can get anywhere from 850-1100 IMO

dctex99
09-13-2012, 10:58 PM
Actually there is an abrasive cloth that is available for Watches, which are made from 316L stainless that would make that invisible!! I have used it on guns and my watch collection; It is amazing how easy it is to make a well used quality watch look like new. Just Polish rouge on the high polish areas and abrasive cloth gently on the "brushed steel" like that and it goes away.....available on ebay!

keenkeen
09-13-2012, 11:00 PM
Easy to get out on a SS gun...total strip and then have the frame bead blasted...

Or just shoot it...$850 would be the most I would pay given condition.

gorenut
09-13-2012, 11:01 PM
Interesting. Thanks to those of you who have constructively contributed.

Not my gun, was just curious how much value people put into 1911s with idiot marks.

JeremyS
09-13-2012, 11:03 PM
It's lucky that it's a stainless gun. Makes repairing that much simpler.

BTW -- do they call them idiot marks because of the idiot who designed a slide stop that has to be inserted that way? OH!!! BOOM, I said it. Sorry, JMB. Hey... it's not the easiest thing in the world to put in without touching the frame. I think the fact that you see that same scratch soooooooooooooooo freaking often indicates a design error. Yeah. Sorry. Just one man's opinion here.

For what it's worth, I have four 1911s for sale in the thread linked in my signature. 0 idiot marks of any sort. But, I'm super duper careful. I don't have to be careful like that on any of my other pistols to avoid scratching them, because nothing in the process of field stripping them is a constant and easy threat to hurting the finish.

keenkeen
09-13-2012, 11:06 PM
Interesting. Thanks to those of you who have constructively contributed.

Not my gun, was just curious how much value people put into 1911s with idiot marks.

If you have never bought a used 1911 with an idiot scratch you are not buying enough 1911s,

:D

gorenut
09-13-2012, 11:08 PM

BTW -- do they call them idiot marks because of the idiot who designed a slide stop that has to be inserted that way? OH!!! BOOM, I said it. Sorry, JMB. Hey... it's not the easiest thing in the world to put in without touching the frame. I think the fact that you see that same scratch soooooooooooooooo freaking often indicates a design error. Yeah. Sorry. Just one man's opinion here.

For what it's worth, I have four 1911s for sale in the thread linked in my signature. 0 idiot marks of any sort. But, I'm super duper careful. I don't have to be careful like that on any of my other pistols to avoid scratching them, because nothing in the process of field stripping them is a constant and easy threat to hurting the finish.

Haha, I just called it idiot mark because thats what eveyrone universally know it as. I see your point though.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
09-13-2012, 11:09 PM
I'd take the book value of the pistol and knock off a hundred bucks for the idiot mark. At least on a stainless pistol it's a little easier to fix, either by bead blasting or jeweler's cloth as already described.

BTW, Springfield pistols seem to have pretty tough plunger springs and squared off slide stop surfaces that make it tough to avoid slipping and marking the pistol. I ground a small notch in my stainless Loaded's slide stop, which makes inserting it much easier.

gorenut
09-13-2012, 11:10 PM
Ok, I kinda figured it would have knocked down the original value by $100.

bubbapug1
09-13-2012, 11:11 PM
I think they should be called CLEANING VERIFICATION MARK

keenkeen
09-13-2012, 11:12 PM
I think they should be called CLEANING VERIFICATION MARK

You sir, must be in marketing.

:p

keenkeen
09-13-2012, 11:15 PM
I have also seen these referred to as "custom lightning bolt engraving included" in a few ads . . .

ELIXIR
09-13-2012, 11:15 PM
Man I love 1911's but dang its pretty difficult to not scratch it. Especially the idiot scratch. And it sucks because the value drops instantly. Why did it have to be like this on 1911's! I wouldn't doubt it if everyone on the market looking for a 1911 the first thing in their mind is "I wonder if it has an idiot scratch."

InGrAM
09-13-2012, 11:43 PM
Of course it's a 1911.. Haha

Another reason they shouldnt be carry guns. People have too much pride in them being pretty guns any little wear and it's ruined.

:facepalm:

All kinds of fail in this post.

1000stars
09-13-2012, 11:51 PM
After you fix it. You can avoid future scratch with prevention tool if you don't feel competent enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkjQMVye5b0

InGrAM
09-13-2012, 11:54 PM
I'd take the book value of the pistol and knock off a hundred bucks for the idiot mark. At least on a stainless pistol it's a little easier to fix, either by bead blasting or jeweler's cloth as already described.

BTW, Springfield pistols seem to have pretty tough plunger springs and squared off slide stop surfaces that make it tough to avoid slipping and marking the pistol. I ground a small notch in my stainless Loaded's slide stop, which makes inserting it much easier.

Great advice for anyone that has a 1911 with a slide stop that is hard to insert. I have done it to three of my 1911's including my Dan Wesson. It was the first thing I did because I knew it was going to cause a "idiot mark" if I wasn't really careful inserting the slide stop. It literally takes 10 seconds.

OP: you are lucky it is stainless steel. It can be removed fairly easy by bead/sand blasting. Or you could polish to a shine the frame and flats on the slide and make the firearm look even better.

BTW, it is not a design flaw in the 1911 platform. It is certain companies that make 1911s that do not file a notch into the slide stop to prevent idiot marks.

Rorge Retson
09-13-2012, 11:59 PM
Is a 9mm considered a real 1911?

NSR500
09-14-2012, 12:05 AM
Throw it on the pavement. Afterwards you won't even think twice about the idiot mark.

gorenut
09-14-2012, 12:06 AM
Thanks for all the info so far. I'm actually getting my first 1911 soon. I've shot plenty, just never owned one myself.. went the route of wheelguns and Sigs first.

gorenut
09-14-2012, 12:07 AM

Is there a picture or tutorial out there on where exactly I should grind this small notch?

Thanks.

viet4lifeOC
09-14-2012, 12:07 AM
Great advice for anyone that has a 1911 with a slide stop that is hard to insert. I have done it to three of my 1911's including my Dan Wesson. It was the first thing I did because I knew it was going to cause a "idiot mark" if I wasn't really careful inserting the slide stop. It literally takes 10 seconds.

OP: you are lucky it is stainless steel. It can be removed fairly easy by bead/sand blasting. Or you could polish to a shine the frame and flats on the slide and make the firearm look even better.

BTW, it is not a design flaw in the 1911 platform. It is certain companies that make 1911s that do not file a notch into the slide stop to prevent idiot marks.

Pictures of filing a notch inti the slide stop would be appreciated.

markw
09-14-2012, 12:08 AM

No.

If you can't put the slide stop back in without scratching the gun, work your technique, or do this:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=214653

JeremyS
09-14-2012, 12:19 AM
Not to nitpick, and I hate to sound like I'm down on 1911s, because I'm not! ...but... the original blueprints do not include a notch in the slide stop. It was simply not a part of the design of the 1911. If any manufacturers do include a notch, it's a modification to the design. Meaning... if you consider no notch to be a flaw, then you do actually consider it "a design flaw in the 1911 platform."

markw
09-14-2012, 12:21 AM
Not to nitpick, and I hate to sound like I'm down on 1911s, because I'm not! ...but... the original blueprints do not include a notch in the slide stop. It was simply not a part of the design of the 1911. If any manufacturers do include a notch, it's a modification to the design. Meaning... if you consider no notch to be a flaw, then you do actually consider it "a design flaw in the 1911 platform."

Damn straight, JMB could put them together without scratching them. They call it an idiot mark for a reason. :)

InGrAM
09-14-2012, 12:51 AM

I never said it was part of the original design. Which manufactures fallow the exact blue prints of the original 1911 design? I have never had a problem getting the slide stop into my Colt, RIA, or Essex 1911's without a notch filed into the slide stop. My other 1911's, yes, I did have a hard time inserting the slide stop so I made a simple modification to their companies particular design. You can think the 1911's slide stop is a design "flaw" but in actuality it is a particular company/companies design flaw and not the platform itself. Not all slide stops are made the same just like not all plungers, plunger springs and plunger tubes are made the same. Therefore, in some designs you will get slide stops that are hard to insert without fitting and modification and some that are not.

Hope that helps clear everything up.

InGrAM
09-14-2012, 12:58 AM

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1366&bih=640&tbm=isch&tbnid=LUi43vS0VB00PM:&imgrefurl=http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php%3Ft%3D231309%26highlight%3Dslide%2B stop&docid=Fwleeq3Ko1xG5M&imgurl=http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr85/logpics/SLIDESTOP.jpg&w=640&h=480&ei=geNSUM3nBOP9iwLg34CAAg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=373&vpy=158&dur=329&hovh=136&hovw=177&tx=177&ty=62&sig=117797066607884089410&page=1&tbnh=136&tbnw=177&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:79

Here. All you need is a good set of files.

InGrAM
09-14-2012, 1:00 AM

Are 38 supers considered "real" 1911s? :sleeping:

gorenut
09-14-2012, 1:08 AM
Haha wow.. completely de-railed!

calishine
09-14-2012, 1:28 AM
Really easy to take that out. It is stainless, it makes it possible.

dem0critus
09-14-2012, 3:37 AM

It doesn't have to be inserted that way. Only an idiot would put it in like that, hence the phrase "idiot mark". As long as you keep the slide stop parallel to the slide when you stick it in there, you won't have this problem. It's beyond me why so many people feel inclined to push it in when its perpendicular to the slide, then rotate it around like that, which is how I'm assuming this would happen.

Rorge Retson
09-14-2012, 6:58 AM
Are 38 supers considered "real" 1911s? :sleeping:

AFAIAC, it's not a real 1911 if it's not .45ACP. :oji:

Oceanbob
09-14-2012, 7:36 AM
Over the years I've bought plenty of 1911s with idiot marks. I just ignore them and have fun shooting them.

Perhaps have a gunsmith checker that area ..?....being stainless you could bead blast some of that away.

Welcome to 1911s..!

drkphibr
09-14-2012, 8:56 AM
On stainless (not bead blasted stainless - that's a more involved process, especially trying to match the existing finish vs. re-blasting the entire lower frame), this is actually a very easy fix. Only takes a few minutes to get the actual scratch(es) out, the real time is spent in matching the grain of the existing finish.

Can't be done by buffing as that will only put a shine in the area and magnify the scratch as it will now gleam. Bad as it sounds, you actually have to sand this out (yes, sandpaper) and use different grits for each step.

Here's an example of a Longslide I picked up which had more than it's fair share of scratches as a bull barrel 1911 can be a bit more challenging to put back together and the previous owner may not have known how to do it.

This "repair" took about an hour due to the number of scratches as well as the trigger guard area (slightly different method to use). Sorry for the lighting, but I was trying to focus on the scratched area so you can see the grain matching. This was also the "first pass" at addressing the major blemishes.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=169497&d=1347637964
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=169498&d=1347637978

Rorge Retson
09-14-2012, 9:03 AM
Well done! The only remaining evidence are the nicks above and below the original scratches.

gorenut
09-14-2012, 9:10 AM
It doesn't have to be inserted that way. Only an idiot would put it in like that, hence the phrase "idiot mark". As long as you keep the slide stop parallel to the slide when you stick it in there, you won't have this problem. It's beyond me why so many people feel inclined to push it in when its perpendicular to the slide, then rotate it around like that, which is how I'm assuming this would happen.

Ok.. so this makes a lot of sense. Just make sure to insert the slide stop parallel to the slide. As mentioned, I've never disassembled a 1911 but shot many. I always thought the reason why the scratch happens is because you had to turn it in and time the turn properly or something.

I know with CZs you gotta insert it parallel as well, the difference is it has no leeway to turn at all. You're pretty much forced to stick it straight in with the slide stop parallel. CZs I've taken apart and put back together aplenty.

CrazyJeep
09-14-2012, 9:24 AM

Here is a picture of what I did to my slide stop:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-_5euSTwPvU4/TuFnvuA753I/AAAAAAAAJHk/rIhI5qUNnVw/s640/IMG_2643.JPG

Video of it in action.
482rsBNrWgs

HPGunner
09-14-2012, 9:30 AM
I unfortunately purchased a gun that has had an idiot mark refinished like that and was told by the seller it was NIB. It was a very well done job, but the fact that I was told it was NIB, erked me the wrong way (and I did pay premium because it was represented that it was NIB). In the bright lighting I couldn't tell when I was inspecting the gun, but in certain lighting and angles you can see evidenced it was polished out. I got over it and I'm enjoying the gun. The gun looks flawless, but I know it's had been repaired.

Great job on the refinish of that Long Slide. However you can see that the bead blasted area is a bit lighter than normal, but otherwise it's good enough job that it wouldn't annoy me.

It's beyond me why so many people feel inclined to push it in when its perpendicular to the slide, then rotate it around like that, which is how I'm assuming this would happen.

I don't get it either. Not sure how people can put idiot marks on their 1911's. I have owned and still own a few 1911's and non of them have idiot marks. It's just about being careful and technique. There must be some incorrect instruction manual out there that says to drop the slide stop in perpendicular and rotate up.

kurac
09-14-2012, 9:32 AM
getting the scratch off the flat on the frame should go easy with some 220 grit sand paper, just sand in the same direction as the factory finish marks.

The bead blasted area near the trigger is going to be tough, and besides getting someone to bead blast it for you, I don't thing there is a do it your self trick to return it to its original condition without outright sanding that down to match the rest of the frame.

kentactic
09-14-2012, 9:46 AM
all it had going for it was looks... now the gun is worthless.

Bhobbs
09-14-2012, 9:50 AM

It's not a design error, it was originally a weapon for soldiers to fight wars with. It would get scratched up during every day use. The fact that people have taken a weapon and tried to make it something pretty has no bearing on the design. Blame the people who get butt hurt when their weapon gets scratched.

Do you think Kalashnikov is an idiot because the AK safety lever scratches the surface when you engage/disengage the safety?

Lead Waster
09-14-2012, 10:24 AM
Dude, that mark is gold on a used gun! It drop the price somewhat and it's completely cosmetic. OK, it might indicate the user doesn't know how to strip a 1911, but basically, it's a free discount!

I idiot marked my gun too. I was NOT pushing it in perpendicular and then swinging it up. I was pushing it straight down, then I "spazzed out" and it swung (while I pushed down) and it "reverse idiot marked". I was mad at myself for a while, but now I totally don't care. It doesn't affect function at all. It does mark me as a clutz, but whatever.

RazzB7
09-14-2012, 10:39 AM
2 or 3,000 rounds ought to remove caring about that mark.

Gryff
09-14-2012, 11:03 AM
Why does a mark on the frame matter? It's a tool for using chemical explosions to propel dense objects at high speed. It's supposed to have marks on it.

As for value, the 9mm Springfield 1911s sell for $800-1000 in near new condition (or $1200 in any condition here on Calguns).

Rorge Retson
09-14-2012, 11:07 AM
Why does a mark on the frame matter?

No kidding. We should have a new sub-forum for the "Does this AR make my butt look big?" crowd. Its avatar could be a pair of panties.

gorenut
09-14-2012, 11:39 AM
Why does a mark on the frame matter? It's a tool for using chemical explosions to propel dense objects at high speed. It's supposed to have marks on it.

As for value, the 9mm Springfield 1911s sell for $800-1000 in near new condition (or $1200 in any condition here on Calguns).

It doesn't and I think this thread has definitely drifted into something else.

I simply wanted to assess how much a scratch reduces the value of a gun like this and compare it to how difficult it'd even be to remove it. I use all my guns and even though I do good maintenance, I do not treat them like jewelry. That doesn't mean I'm above trying to get the best price for a gun though.

opie4386
09-14-2012, 12:29 PM

+1.

I originally cared about idiot marks. But after 2,500 rounds it is perfect inside and thats what counts!

chickenfried
09-14-2012, 12:50 PM
You're wrong an idiot mark is honest wear that gives a gun character. Just like "creative" dremel work, double charges, squibs, kitchen table trigger jobs, getting the gun wet and not cleaning/oiling it...It doesn't have to be inserted that way. Only an idiot would put it in like that, hence the phrase "idiot mark". As long as you keep the slide stop parallel to the slide when you stick it in there, you won't have this problem. It's beyond me why so many people feel inclined to push it in when its perpendicular to the slide, then rotate it around like that, which is how I'm assuming this would happen.

dfletcher
09-14-2012, 1:41 PM
Actually there is an abrasive cloth that is available for Watches, which are made from 316L stainless that would make that invisible!! I have used it on guns and my watch collection; It is amazing how easy it is to make a well used quality watch look like new. Just Polish rouge on the high polish areas and abrasive cloth gently on the "brushed steel" like that and it goes away.....available on ebay!

I don't know of the cloth so I could be very wrong on this. My concern would be that the mark isn't on the brushed flats but is instead on an area that looks to have been bead blasted or has a type of finish that can't be duplicated by rubbing. The flats show a "grain" into which a scratch can be blended, that small cutout looks to have no grain but rather a matte finish.

Again, this is just a guess on my part.

Dont_Shoot_im_Chinese
09-14-2012, 1:44 PM
How do you get a "idiot mark?" Im a fairly new 1911 owner but that slide stop seems easy to put back without much effort. Someone e once told me that there are special products out there that will prevent those marks. Cross my fingers!

j_bauer
09-14-2012, 1:44 PM
Mine had a nasty idiot mark before I had it bead-blasted and checkered...

http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo337/j_bauer_CTU/Colt%20Government%20XSE/P3181128.jpg

Oceanbob
09-14-2012, 1:49 PM

http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo337/j_bauer_CTU/Colt%20Government%20XSE/P3181128.jpg

Wow...what a nice looking machine............:D

chickenfried
09-14-2012, 1:55 PM
e-AbK7KXO4QHow do you get a "idiot mark?" Im a fairly new 1911 owner but that slide stop seems easy to put back without much effort. Someone e once told me that there are special products out there that will prevent those marks. Cross my fingers!

InGrAM
09-14-2012, 2:05 PM

More pictures please :D

From what I can see that is an awesome looking Colt you have there.

5.0Driver
09-14-2012, 3:04 PM
Another technique my friend showed me to avoid the scratch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6qRtUOYqnU&feature=related

Mr. Beretta
09-14-2012, 5:00 PM
$700

I could care less about that mark. My Colt has it and I put it there.

I rather have my gun run great (and my 1911 does) than look pretty IMHO.

razr
09-14-2012, 5:25 PM
Buff it out with Flitz. I wouldn't worry about the mark, you get that when the gun is tight and new. Its not a collector gun so shoot it and enjoy.

2nd Shot
09-14-2012, 5:49 PM
$100+ drop in price because it has a faint scratch? That you have to go to obsessive lengths to avoid during routine field stripping and cleaning? You guys are crazy.

chickenfried
09-14-2012, 6:39 PM
You don't have to go to "obsessive lengths" to avoid an idiot scratch. Just learn the right way to insert a slide stop by reading an instruction manual or watching a video.

That you have to go to obsessive lengths to avoid during routine field stripping and cleaning? You guys are crazy.

TempleKnight
09-14-2012, 7:05 PM

Thanks, I was wondering how the idiot marks happen. I was going to ask for someone to post a video. I have half a dozen 1911/2011s and none of them have the mark. I thought maybe someone was using a big screwdriver to pry out the slide stop!!!

Buddhabelly
09-14-2012, 7:35 PM

What do you mean?

I have 10000 rounds on my Nighthawk and my friend has 22000 rounds through his LB, and we laugh at 1911's with idiot marks.

Hahahahaha....

Meety Peety
09-14-2012, 7:54 PM
I guarantee installing a slide stop properly is not only going to prevent the idiot scratch, but its a lot easier to put in than any of the ways that will scratch the gun. As for using a tool, lol.. unless you were born without fingers, you already have the best tools for the job. Just line it up parallel to the slide and put some F'ing pressure on it, holding it firmly in place between your fingers so that it won't jump on you should you slip somehow. Understand that the detent (The obstacle you guys are trying to avoid by swinging the slide stop up 90) is actually designed to press into it's housing when enough pressure is applied to it. Don't be afraid to give it some pressure, seriously.

As far as value of the gun, only you can answer that. There is no "set price" that a gun drops in value when it acquires the idiot mark. Some people care and some don't, so since it seems like you would be the buyer, you need to decide whether or not it warrants a drop in price. My personal way of thinking is that if someone put an idiot mark in a gun (Especially with low round count), it tells me that the person had very limited understanding of the gun and that I probably need to give it a solid inspection before buying it.

Chaozu
09-14-2012, 8:19 PM
AFAIAC, it's not a real 1911 if it's not .45ACP. :oji:

Haha.. I have a springer 1911 in 9mm, I never refer to it as a 1911, I just call it the 9mm! One day I'll get a "real" 1911:D

Sunday
09-15-2012, 1:21 PM
Only an idiot would worry about an idiot mark. Mine are so used that if they did have an idiot mark it wouldn't be noticed.

Sunday
09-15-2012, 1:22 PM
Haha.. I have a springer 1911 in 9mm, I never refer to it as a 1911, I just call it the 9mm! One day I'll get a "real" 1911:D It is a 1911 by design not by caliber.

jessegpresley
09-15-2012, 2:56 PM
Many Rolex owners use the multi sided foam nail polishing block to remove the scratches from the brushed stainless bracelets. You might try going this on your brushed 1911 finish.

Nighthawk and Wilson both make slide stops with the notch already in them, if you wanna replace your MIM stop with a bar stock one.

Good luck.

gorenut
09-15-2012, 3:31 PM
Many Rolex owners use the multi sided foam nail polishing block to remove the scratches from the brushed stainless bracelets. You might try going this on your brushed 1911 finish.

Nighthawk and Wilson both make slide stops with the notch already in them, if you wanna replace your MIM stop with a bar stock one.

Good luck.

Do all the Wilson ones come with the notch already? I see the Wilson ones on sale, but it has no mention of the notch. I wouldn't mind replacing mine if nothing else to replace the MIM part.

Buddhabelly
09-15-2012, 6:25 PM
Only an idiot would worry about an idiot mark. Mine are so used that if they did have an idiot mark it wouldn't be noticed.

Let's see it.

How do you define "so used"?

InGrAM
09-15-2012, 6:40 PM
Do all the Wilson ones come with the notch already? I see the Wilson ones on sale, but it has no mention of the notch. I wouldn't mind replacing mine if nothing else to replace the MIM part.

You could simply use a small round file and file an notch in your current slide stop.

And even if the Wilson, nighthawk, Ed Brown, etc, slide stop doesn't come with the notch you could simply file a notch in it. It is not hard at all.

jessegpresley
09-15-2012, 7:00 PM

The one that came with mine does, but still I'd suggest calling Wilson during work hours to check. I also believe the 10-8 stop does. It also has a flush cut nub like on the Professional models. But again I'd suggest contacting 10-8 to make sure.

You could simply use a small round file and file an notch in your current slide stop.

And even if the Wilson, nighthawk, Ed Brown, etc, slide stop doesn't come with the notch you could simply file a notch in it. It is not hard at all.

He also said he'd like to replace it because it's MIM.

SilverTauron
09-15-2012, 7:35 PM
I like idiot scratches. It is why I was able to take home a quality 1911 for $425.

Horton Fenty
09-15-2012, 7:55 PM
Until I owned a 1911 I thought the "idiot mark" term was a bit harsh, now I think it's totally appropriate. You have to be doing something seriously wrong to scratch it up.

Press Check
09-15-2012, 8:45 PM

1911's have been chambered in 9mm for more than 50 years. :)

therealnickb
09-15-2012, 8:49 PM
http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/306194000/306194732/pix162328836.jpg

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/306194000/306194732/pix656315900.jpg

How difficult you think it'd be to get out this idiot mark and how much would you pay for this gun?

EDIT: Its not my gun. Just want info.

Super friggin easy as I'm sure 20+ people have mentioned already.

InGrAM
09-15-2012, 9:04 PM
The one that came with mine does, but still I'd suggest calling Wilson during work hours to check. I also believe the 10-8 stop does. It also has a flush cut nub like on the Professional models. But again I'd suggest contacting 10-8 to make sure.

He also said he'd like to replace it because it's MIM.

Thanks. That is why I told him that even if the Wilson, Nighthawk, Ed Brown, etc.. slide stop didn't come with a notch he could easily file one into it.

compulsivegunbuyer
09-15-2012, 9:08 PM
The guns I have used for years are beat to hell cosmetically. I thought guns were tools. Holster wear, getting banged around, it's a tool.

jonzer77
09-15-2012, 9:28 PM

Not to nitpick but the original 1911 was built to go to war, not win a beauty pageant. As long as you take your time putting the slide stop in then it's a non issue but that one time you rush.....

BlueDog333
09-18-2012, 2:08 AM
Like the OP who dosen't own this gun I don't own a 1911 yet, but I'll add owning a new
1911 dosen't matter squat if you don't have the simple knowledge to re-install the part correctly after you break down your 1911. Here are a few youtube vids for dummies like me to learn how to do it the right way so you never get that mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-AbK7KXO4Q&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6qRtUOYqnU

If you want to get somthing professional to never get the mark here is a good product.

http://www.idiotscratch.com/index.shtml

chickenfried
09-18-2012, 8:52 AM
Wrong, the mark is unavoidable If you actually shoot shoot your 1911. Like a turn line on a revolver. Plus you're not operator material if you treat your gun with more care than you would a hammer or crow bar.:p

I may put an idiot scratch on one if my guns eventually . Won't get too excited about it. As far as mistakes with a firearm go its a pretty small one. But a mistake nonetheless, that i won't try to rationalize.

jonzer77
09-18-2012, 10:24 AM
Wrong, the mark is unavoidable If you actually shoot shoot your 1911. Like a turn line on a revolver. Plus you're not operator material if you treat your gun with more care than you would a hammer or crow bar.:p

I may put an idiot scratch on one if my guns eventually . Won't get to excited about it. As far as mistakes with a firearm go its a pretty small one. But a mistake nonetheless, that i won't try to rationalize.

FUD, if you take your time putting it back together then it is completely avoidable. Out of all of my 1911's only one has the the mark and that's because I was in a hurry putting it back together once. It's not rocket science to put the slide stop back in without scratching the gun.

kengotit
09-18-2012, 11:07 AM
Before you to put the slide stop lever put piece of 3M blue painters tape
Bottom of the hole (where you get idiot scratch) And on the slide area. That way I can prevent the scratch just my 2 cents

gorenut
09-18-2012, 11:31 AM
My brand new Springfield 9mm 1911 is shipping on its way. Thanks for all who actually contributed and gave the tips. So bottom line, take my time, put in the slide stop (parallel to the slide) before the spring and barrel bushing. Thats what I got from it.

Again, I'm not gonna cry if I get the idiot scratch, but if its avoidable, might as well avoid it.

jonzer77
09-18-2012, 12:43 PM
Before you to put the slide stop lever put piece of 3M blue painters tape
Bottom of the hole (where you get idiot scratch) And on the slide area. That way I can prevent the scratch just my 2 cents

This is good advice as well as this will let you get the hang of how to properly put the slide stop in.

chickenfried
09-18-2012, 2:07 PM
What, one smiley wasn't enough :p :p :p:p??
FUD, if you take your time putting it back together then it is completely avoidable. Out of all of my 1911's only one has the the mark and that's because I was in a hurry putting it back together once. It's not rocket science to put the slide stop back in without scratching the gun.

InGrAM
09-18-2012, 3:19 PM
Like the OP who dosen't own this gun I don't own a 1911 yet, but I'll add owning a new
1911 dosen't matter squat if you don't have the simple knowledge to re-install the part correctly after you break down your 1911. Here are a few youtube vids for dummies like me to learn how to do it the right way so you never get that mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-AbK7KXO4Q&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6qRtUOYqnU

If you want to get somthing professional to never get the mark here is a good product.

http://www.idiotscratch.com/index.shtml

I can't believe people waste money on crap like that ^

Sunday
09-18-2012, 3:31 PM
Let's see it.

How do you define "so used"?Carried and shot for many years. I have owned 1911s since 1970 "one is a wwII surplus" and they are getting to be well used.

jonzer77
09-18-2012, 5:24 PM
What, one smiley wasn't enough :p :p :p:p??

Lol the smileys don't always show up on tapatalk. :)

Buddhabelly
09-18-2012, 5:40 PM
Carried and shot for many years. I have owned 1911s since 1970 "one is a wwII surplus" and they are getting to be well used.

If you say that you actually used a GI issued 1911 in the 70's to shoot at people, then we're talking.

jonzer77
09-18-2012, 7:43 PM

Why didn't I think of that to make some money lol

Snoopy47
09-18-2012, 8:51 PM
If you have never bought a used 1911 with an idiot scratch you are not buying enough 1911s,

:D

I've never bought a used one WITHOUT it.

Snoopy47
09-18-2012, 8:55 PM

I use a screwdriver (through the chamber) to push the little spring back for the slide stop to slip in place without hinderance.

ChaneRZ
09-18-2012, 8:56 PM
Dang so I can't sell mine coz I don't have it yet :p