PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Budget 870 Fighting Shotgun

kentactic
09-13-2012, 9:02 PM
The shotgun sections been pretty dead so i thought id liven it up a bit.

This is my version of what ive come think is a good version of a budget fighting shotgun.

It has the following upgrades:

-Hogue Shortened LOP stock (transforms the entire gun in my opinion, feels like 6 inches got cut off the end of the gun)
-Hogue Forend
-Upgraded follower (cant remember the brand but its a red one with a tail on it)
-XS Big dot Tritium front sight (Bad *** as it just epoxy's over the stock steel bead.
-6 Round side saddle
-Oversized safety Button (makes it obvious safety is still engaged if you go to pull the trigger)

All of the above upgrades can be had for under $200

To the untrained eye the gun looks nearly stock except for the obvious side saddle.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/gearheadkdr/2012-09-13_205201.jpg

steelcore
09-13-2012, 10:12 PM
If by "fighting" you mean combat field, I love this setup. If by "fighting" you mean home defense, I'd add a light. I love the simplicity!

Today I added a Speedfeed IV-S (shortened LOP) to my otherwise all factory 870. I plan to get a 6 shot side saddle, and debating a light system, but no hurry.

kentactic
09-13-2012, 10:30 PM
If by "fighting" you mean combat field, I love this setup. If by "fighting" you mean home defense, I'd add a light. I love the simplicity!

Today I added a Speedfeed IV-S (shortened LOP) to my otherwise all factory 870. I plan to get a 6 shot side saddle, and debating a light system, but no hurry.

Agreed it still needs a light. To get what im looking for it will destroy the previous $200 spent but it really is needed. I too like this setup for its simplicity. Ive ran expensive collapsable stocks but a sporter style stock just works the best for me.

steelcore
09-13-2012, 10:43 PM
I feel a fixed stock lends itself much better to a good, solid butt-stroke to the dome...if that largely unlikely need should ever arise. I mainly like the idea that you can drop it and not worry about damage to moving parts.

I'll admit, I'm kinda jealous after seeing your stock...even though I installed mine today. I may try one out if I happen to find a used one cheap

kentactic
09-13-2012, 11:07 PM
I feel a fixed stock lends itself much better to a good, solid butt-stroke to the dome...if that largely unlikely need should ever arise. I mainly like the idea that you can drop it and not worry about damage to moving parts.

I'll admit, I'm kinda jealous after seeing your stock...even though I installed mine today. I may try one out if I happen to find a used one cheap

Yup i never could trust the AR stock with a heavy recoil shotgun and if it was dropped on the butt one time it would be done. You made the right choice if pistol grip is the way you want to go.

If you want to try this kit (stock and forend) its only around 50-60 bucks.

1000stars
09-13-2012, 11:12 PM
Simple but effective.

Roach_Infinity
09-14-2012, 12:21 PM
I'm planning on using hogue furniture once I find a suitable 1300 defender for a good price (if I can find the furniture.) Why do you guys like the shortened LOP stocks over full size?

-Eric

steelcore
09-14-2012, 7:41 PM
I like to keep it closer to my body. By no means are my arms "short", but I feel more comfortable with my elbows bent more in a standing position. It puts less leverage on your muscles when holding the rifle/shotgun up

BigDogatPlay
09-15-2012, 10:05 AM
+1 to adding some type of light for defending the home. A simple, straightforward and well thought out package. I'd give the OP two thumbs up.

Reduced LOP stocks... if they work for you that's great. I'm a big guy with long arms and I won't be wearing a plate carrier, a ruck and / or a tactical vest when I am defending my home. The reduced LOP stocks shine when you have a bunch of clothing and gear between you and the gun. If I use a reduced LOP and bury the stock as is current theory my face is practically on the receiver.

negolien
09-15-2012, 10:26 AM
Lights a plus and yes hogue rocks socks..Very nice though

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee472/Negolien/th_picsnew046-1.jpg (http://s1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee472/Negolien/?action=view&current=picsnew046-1.jpg)

UTG has some nice lights for like 50 bucks but then ya got to have a mount wich is another 50 bucks LOL.

bsg
09-15-2012, 5:20 PM
good example of upgrading while upholding the standards of KISS.

nice job.