PDA

View Full Version : Broke my Colt CR6720 out of jail today :D

Roland Deschain
09-13-2012, 6:31 PM
Excited to have my first AR (and rifle in general) in my hands. Can't wait to make it out to the range/desert.

http://ccswe.com/temp/CR6720.png

I was originally looking for a Colt LE6920 but couldn't find any in stock locally (maybe I didn't look hard enough) so I placed an order with my LGS. After several months of them not being able to locate one through their distributors this CR6720 was still on their shelf so I said F it and switched (it's not like I won't end up with multiple ARs over time anyway :D). It's wearing a Vortex Strike Fire red dot but I think this rifle deserves a proper magnified scope so I'll be researching that next. Already ordered a Harris bipod and extra mags through Exile Machine (http://www.exilemachine.net/shop/) (great prices!).

Atekhed
09-14-2012, 2:28 PM
Nice rifle!

With no flash hider and an already fixed stock one thing I would do is get a grip wrap or Hammerhead from Exile and make that thing fully "featureless" to use the regular mag drop button.

Enjoy!

1000stars
09-14-2012, 2:33 PM
Sweet rifle. I hear they are factory accurized by Colt.

ouch1
09-14-2012, 2:48 PM
Nice rifle, now go give it a complete and thorough once over and cleaning. The buy a metric c**p ton of ammo, and shoot the snot out of it.

-ouch1

Press Check
09-14-2012, 6:13 PM
Nice. This might be the next Colt rifle I own.

Donk310
09-14-2012, 7:46 PM
Nice rifle!

With no flash hider and an already fixed stock one thing I would do is get a grip wrap or Hammerhead from Exile and make that thing fully "featureless" to use the regular mag drop button.

Enjoy!

You have a beautiful rife there machx0r. Please do not do this to it.

Roland Deschain
09-15-2012, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the replies! I think I can deal with the bullet button for target shooting now and not worry about a grip wrap or replacement grip since if SHTF it's simple enough to swap in a standard mag release when laws no longer apply :D

Magpul PRS stock and Harris 6-9 bipod on order. Still trying to figure out which optic to go with... Considering Viper PST 1-4x24 but not sure if it's enough for this rifle. Plan to get a larger (.308?) caliber bolt action for hunting and longer range and task this rifle as a DMR. Will eventually also own a shorter/lighter AR-15 (Colt 6920/6940) for CQB.

SWMP15
09-15-2012, 2:16 PM
My next purchase. Nice rifle!

LAKings22
09-16-2012, 3:37 AM
Nice looking AR

762.DEFENSE
09-16-2012, 7:59 AM
Congrats!

Dinosaur Jr
09-16-2012, 8:05 AM
Very nice!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ipLIWQt1vv0/T68P-sxO8mI/AAAAAAAABcI/QynE45qMKyk/s500/seal.jpg

sigstroker
09-16-2012, 4:18 PM
Magpul PRS stock and Harris 6-9 bipod on order.

Seems like it has a nice stock on it now.

Roland Deschain
09-16-2012, 5:41 PM
Seems like it has a nice stock on it now.

Ya nothing wrong with the A2 style fixed stock but I liked how the Magpul PRS felt and the adjustability it offered.

http://cdn.magpul.com/images/uploads/26_420_popup.jpg

ParanoidCivilian
09-16-2012, 7:55 PM
The A2 stock just can't be beat! :68:

Roland Deschain
09-16-2012, 8:01 PM
The A2 stock just can't be beat! :68:

:) Like I said nothing wrong with the existing stock but think the Magpul PRS will better suit me (and a DMR).

myk
09-16-2012, 8:52 PM
Yeah what the f**k is up with those 6920's? It's like they never existed. Anyway I lucked out on a 6920 yesterday and am now in jail as well and it SUCKS. I hope you get to shoot that thing soon and tell us what's up....

Wrangler John
09-17-2012, 7:02 PM
Here's a tip or two.

Mine took awhile to break the barrel in, after about 50 shots with cleaning in between every five shots for 20 rounds, then cleaning between every 10 rounds for the next 30 rounds. I lube the barrel before each string with Hollands Break-in Fluid, but Lock-Ease will work. After 50 rounds groups shrunk noticeably. That stainless steel barrel is not the average factory crap - it appears to be maybe a Criterion or some such high quality brand.

It takes a bit of work to get the barrel clean at first, because there is fouling in the gas port. If you get one of these kits: http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=33967/Product/Sinclair-AR-15-Rod-Guide-and-Link-Kit cleaning is much easier. When the groups shrink and the barrel begins to clean up quickly, it means the barrel is broken in.

Don't shoot it fast for those first 50 rounds, it increases fouling until the throat polishes up.

These rifles, with a bit of trigger modification really shoot - I mean well enough to impress me - and I'm an old grump. This rifle, even with the trigger like a barn door latch, still shoots around 1 MOA with my handloads (I don't shoot factory stuff). Have fun, you made a great choice of a quality rifle.

dat1callidude
09-23-2012, 8:04 PM
how did it shoot?

Cadre
09-23-2012, 8:22 PM
Awesome!

Mr310
09-23-2012, 8:27 PM
Nice rifle.

Cadre, that's an awesome KRISS VECTOR in your avatar photo.

jonzer77
09-23-2012, 9:41 PM
Yeah what the f**k is up with those 6920's? It's like they never existed. Anyway I lucked out on a 6920 yesterday and am now in jail as well and it SUCKS. I hope you get to shoot that thing soon and tell us what's up....

I got my 6920 a few months back from galleryofguns.com, $1126 otd :)

I would like one of the 6720's one day after seeing what they are capable of.

Roland Deschain
10-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Here's a tip or two.

Mine took awhile to break the barrel in, after about 50 shots with cleaning in between every five shots for 20 rounds, then cleaning between every 10 rounds for the next 30 rounds.

Thanks for the tips. I had never even considering breaking in a barrel. I did as you suggested and noticed my groups started to come together.

It takes a bit of work to get the barrel clean at first, because there is fouling in the gas port.

That brings up another question regarding what I should do to clean it. The manual goes into a detailed process of removing the bolt and firing pin from the carrier group, removing the buffer tube spring, etc. What I'm wondering is that more of an every 1000+ rounds detailed cleaning and would simply cleaning the barrel, wiping down the inside of the receiver and cleaning and lubing the bolt carrier group (w/o disassembly) be sufficient for periodic cleanings between range trips.

how did it shoot?

Finally made it to the range today and I was impressed with it. Only saved the target from the last 20 rounds...

Remington UMC @ 25 yards, using the bipod and shooting as fast as I could get the red dot (Vortex StrikeFire @ 1x) back on target:

http://ccswe.com/images/guns/Colt/CR6720/2012-10-12_Rapid_Fire.jpg

I felt good about it considering this is my first rifle and the only rifle I've ever shot before this was a pump action Remington .22 (I think is was a Remington) over 20 years ago :D

Roland Deschain
10-12-2012, 2:55 PM
BTW: I did encounter one FTF during one of the 5 round break in magazines. It wasn't the first round and wasn't the last but beyond that I don't know. The bolt carrier caught the round and tried to press it forward but it didn't feed which caused the bullet to be pressed into the case.

jonzer77
10-12-2012, 3:00 PM
BTW: I did encounter one FTF during one of the 5 round clips while breaking it in. It wasn't the first round and wasn't the last but beyond that I don't know. The bolt carrier caught the round and tried to press it forward but it didn't feed which caused the bullet to be pressed into the case.

What was the brand of the 5rd mag?

Roland Deschain
10-12-2012, 3:04 PM
What was the brand of the 5rd mag?

I was using the factory Colt 9rd magazine but only loading it with 5 rounds so I could stop and clean/lube the barrel while I broke it in.

Cadre
10-12-2012, 3:11 PM
congrats!