PDA

View Full Version : Is it my front sight ... or my head? My windage is all the way left..

Lead Waster
09-13-2012, 3:39 PM
Hi guys, so I bought some peep sights for my Marlin 795. There was a time when the Marlin's front sight, and sometimes the rear rail were canted over. yeah, poor QA. Anyway..

I mounter "tech sights" on the rifle. This replaces the front sight and adds a peep sight that clamps onto the little rimfire rail.

I zeroed the rifle at 25 yards but the rear peep sight is very far to the left of the center of the rifle.

I was wondering...does that mean that the front sight is slightly canted (tilted) to the left or the rear sight is canted ... OR IS IT ME?

Does head position on the rifle affect the sighting? I don't THINK I'm tilting the rifle either. But is that posible?

I mean if the sights were perfectly on center with the rifle, I don't see how my head position could change my point of aim, but I'm not a very experienced rifleman (going to an Appleseed shoot next month! But I need to zero the rifle first!)

What do you think? I've had my friend shoot it at only about 15-20 yards and he was doing OK with it, but then I've already got the windage way over too.

I know at 25 yards it's not going to make much difference, but the idea of having an off center front sight just bothers me to no end! I mean, I don't want to have to change windage at every distance. Say I shoot to 100 yards (i know, I can't even see that far with irons!) wouldn't I have to readjust windage, whereas if the rear/front were properly inline with the center of the barrel, I wouldn't?

I want to keep this gun with irons, not put on a scope, which would of course fix the problem. But when my kids are old enough, I want them to use this rifle with irons.

Thanks!

psubond
09-13-2012, 3:41 PM
i wouldn't sweat it too much if you can't figure it out because your instructors at appleseed will be able to get it figured out. without seeing the rifle i can't really help sorry.

MrPlink
09-13-2012, 3:55 PM
If poi matches poa, who cares?

shy 7th
09-13-2012, 4:19 PM
Zero is achieved by a line that connect 4 points: your eye, the rear sight, the front sight, and the point of impact. Changing your head position simply moves your eye off of that line. You cannot correct by simply adjusting one of the sights, you would have to move both to compensate for a change in head position.

Think of the mall ninjas who put the iron sights on the side on their ARs, so they can just tilt the gun sideways to use iron sights.
https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTpaq_kOgUILrFDlRLKCqk_z-QcBMfTIaboxS37JaxspiOPUw-O
They must move both the front sight and a rear sight to compensate for their change in head position.

If your rifle is zeroed and the rear sight is all the way left. That means your front sight is a bit left too. Correcting the rear sight (by moving it right) means you will also have to more the front sight to the right to maintain zero.

From what I remember about my 795, the stock rear leaf sight and the front sight are both on the barrel. So even if the barrel were canted in the receiver a bit it wouldn't matter because the rear sight and front sight were still aligned.

The problem now manifests because you're mounting the front sight on the barrel (correct me if I'm wrong, but its drilled and tapped, not a dovetail?) and trying to match it up with the rail on the top of the receiver. I hypothesize that your barrel is just a slight bit canted.

6mmintl
09-13-2012, 6:36 PM
Im over in Redwood City, if you can come over we can look at the rifle to see if their not set up correctly, bore sight it and go thruu your shooting position.

PM me if interested.