PDA

View Full Version : Colt M4 6940CA Edition - Optics Advice

GeneralPattonLivesAgain
09-13-2012, 12:45 PM
I just purchased a Colt M4 Carbine, 6940CA Edition - it was hard to find! While I am waiting for the 10 day wait to pass, I thought that I would do some research on Optics.

For Self Defense, target shooting, and any type of civil unrest, what is a good, high quality, practical optic? Please tell me what you use and why.

All opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Burnit7
09-13-2012, 12:53 PM
Congrats on the rifle! Great choice by the way :)

I'd suggest first learning how to shoot your iron sights to lay down the foundation.

Afterwards.. well if you're talking civil unrest you'd probably want something extremely durable and with long battery life. In that case, I'd probably go with the Aimpoint Micro T-1 or H-1 if you want it cheaper and don't need the NV settings.

dat1callidude
09-13-2012, 12:58 PM
Nice riffle i have a 6920 but want to get the 6940..Where did you find it?

I would throw a magpul flip up sites for backup sites and then if you can afford an ACOG id grab it. kinda pricey but worth it for distance. Looking for a run and gun go with EoTech allows you to shoot with both eyes open :)

Good Shootin

dat1callidude
09-13-2012, 12:59 PM

I would throw a magpul flip up sites for backup sites and then if you can afford an ACOG id grab it. kinda pricey but worth it for distance. Looking for a run and gun go with EoTech allows you to shoot with both eyes open :)

Good Shootin

Moving Chicane
09-13-2012, 1:25 PM
When I picked up my 6940 from Turners right as they became available, I put an EOTech exps2-0 on it. I use it primarily at a 100/200 meter range and shoot with the steel sights and with the EOTech during range sessions.

I've only ever considered putting a 3.5 or 4x ACOG on it, but haven't. My current reasoning is that any type of magnification can go on something a bit larger in caliber (.308/7.62), and home on a longer range (shooting at 300/400/600) which isn't necessarily the sweet spot of the M4.

Striker
09-13-2012, 1:33 PM
Do learn to shoot with irons as you never know when your optic will take a sh*t. Aimpoint, Eotech and ACOG are all excellent choices. Let me throw one more out there; a 1-4 variable optic. Burris and Vortex both make affordable ones that are pretty decent. S&B Short Dot is probably considered to be the best out there, but it is very expensive.

Any of these choices are good, depending on you and what you think will work best for you. Truthfully if 100 yards is your shooting limit and you don't have astigmatism, I think it's hard to beat an Aimpoint or Eotech.

Enjoy your new rifle, excellent choice.

guitar-nut
09-13-2012, 1:35 PM

Good Shootin

If you can afford an ACOG you can afford better back-up iron sights than the Magpul MBUS. The Magpul sights are flimsy and have a pretty poor sight picture in my opinion. Drop the extra money for decent irons, you'll be pleased. Unless you truly plan to never use your irons.

ExtremeX
09-13-2012, 1:35 PM
I have an ACOG TA31F, and even if you don’t shoot at greater distances often, it’s an amazing optic. For its intended purpose and use, it’s hard to find anything really better for the AR. The optical clarity alone is amazing; it’s a real gem if you can afford one.

Aimpoint makes my favorite RDS, they have an excellent track record in the field as well. The biggest selling points to be are durability and battery life. I also prefer the micro, so weight savings are always welcome.

If you really enjoy target shooting, and want something a little more practical and versatile for the AR in general, then low power variables are the way to go. For example something like a Vortex Viper PST 1-4x or a SWFA SS 1-6x scope.

Out of all my AR optics, I can honestly say I use my low power variable the most since I am more of a target shooter than anything else. It’s a lot easier to be more precise with this type of optic than the others listed above. With that said, the ACOG brings a big smile to my face when I use it, but it really excels in a different type of shooting.

Striker
09-13-2012, 1:52 PM
I have an ACOG TA31F, and even if you donít shoot at greater distances often, itís an amazing optic. For its intended purpose and use, itís hard to find anything really better for the AR. The optical clarity alone is amazing; itís a real gem if you can afford one.

Aimpoint makes my favorite RDS, they have an excellent track record in the field as well. The biggest selling points to be are durability and battery life. I also prefer the micro, so weight savings are always welcome.

If you really enjoy target shooting, and want something a little more practical and versatile for the AR in general, then low power variables are the way to go. For example something like a Vortex Viper PST 1-4x or a SWFA SS 1-6x scope.

Out of all my AR optics, I can honestly say I use my low power variable the most since I am more of a target shooter than anything else. Itís a lot easier to be more precise with this type of optic than the others listed above. With that said, the ACOG brings a big smile to my face when I use it, but it really excels in a different type of shooting.

How is the SWFA 1-6? Even though it's a $1000.00, I'd love to try one.

ExtremeX
09-13-2012, 1:57 PM
How is the SWFA 1-6? Even though it's a $1000.00, I'd love to try one.

Haha, I have no idea…

I bought one but it’s a pre-order. Still waiting for it to ship, I don’t think anyone has gotten theirs yet. I got it to compare aginast the Vortex PST 1-4x, but I like that scope so much I don’t think I would sell it even if I like the SWFA better.

GeneralPattonLivesAgain
09-13-2012, 1:59 PM
Thanks for all the advice. The last time I shot and AR, I was in the military, but that was over 20 years ago and it was an M16 with iron sights, so I have no experience with optics. I am very excited to shoot the shorter barrel M4 (16 inch) and I will certainly start with iron sights.

I purchased the Colt M4 6940CA in San Carlos, CA at Imbert & Smither's, Inc. They had two Colt 6920CA's in stock (in the back), but this was the only 6940CA.

ExtremeX
09-13-2012, 2:13 PM
, so I have no experience with optics.

OP, from personal experience and a lot of experimentation with optics Iíve learned a few thingsÖ I think optics choices are greatly influenced by personal preference, personal shooting style, expectations, and application.

You should spend the time to figure out what you really need/want and then buy the best you can afford and call it a dayÖ Iíve bugged plenty of people at the range when I saw something that caught my eye, and almost everyone was kind enough to let me take a look thought it, and some even shoot with theirs.

theneko
09-13-2012, 3:10 PM
+1 on the ACOG. If you dont want magnification then look at the Aimpoint H-1 (or eotech).

Striker
09-13-2012, 5:01 PM
Haha, I have no ideaÖ

I bought one but itís a pre-order. Still waiting for it to ship, I donít think anyone has gotten theirs yet. I got it to compare aginast the Vortex PST 1-4x, but I like that scope so much I donít think I would sell it even if I like the SWFA better.

LOL. Ok, well post a review when you get it. I've heard good things about the Vortex scope. Many say the Burris is a nice scope for the money, but the Vortex is much nicer for not much more. Have you ever run the Burris?

stix213
09-13-2012, 5:40 PM
I like Eotechs, own three of them.

If you're looking to keep costs down the Vortex Strikefire and Bushnell TRS-25 are good quality at a lower price point.

ExtremeX
09-13-2012, 6:01 PM
LOL. Ok, well post a review when you get it. I've heard good things about the Vortex scope. Many say the Burris is a nice scope for the money, but the Vortex is much nicer for not much more. Have you ever run the Burris?

I never ran the Burris but I spent plenty of time with it at the store counters… I consider the Burris MTAC when I was looking at 1-4x optics… I picked the Vortex over the Burris for a few reasons.

Burris isn’t a True 1x scope.
I didn’t want a BDC reticle, Vortex reticle can be used for any caliber, any load, on any weapon.
I like the reticle better on the Vortex, more traditional crosshair with MOA or MIL graduations.
The optical clarity on the Vortex was better.
I wanted Turrets, I like to be able to dial in correction, and I bought the scope for precision shooting, not holdover shooting. You can still hold over with the Vortex, just have to know your DOPE, or just dial it in too.
It was easier for me at least to be more precise using the reticle on the Vortex.

What I don’t like about the Vortex PST… I wish illumination during the day was brighter, it would have made a better CQB type optic at 1x… but it’s still usable. Its overall a better low power variable for target shooting. I am really hoping the SWFA 1-6x covers that for me, it would make an excellent RECCE rifle optic if it does.

My existing optics purchases may have also influenced my decision… The ACOG pretty much covered any benefits or advantages it may have had over the MTAC in terms of reticle and usage. If there is one thing that’s done VERY well on the ACOG it’s the reticle and the no maintenance design. Low light performance, optical clarity, and field of view are also amazing. I really don’t use mine as much as I would like to, but I really have a hard time selling it.

To step it up another notch in terms of low power variable optics, look at the 1-4x and 1-8x US Optics DFP scopes. It’s basically a RDS and a regular scope in one. I haven’t tried one yet, but if it’s that good, I’d consider selling my ACOG and SWFA or Vortex scope to get it.

Bobby Ricigliano
09-13-2012, 6:08 PM
Jes' shoot it!

fighter4cage
09-13-2012, 6:16 PM
I purchased a Colt 6920CA about 2 months ago. It has a fixed front sight UNLIKE the 6940, But I assume it is the same height.
I will be using mine for defending my fort, Civil unrest, So I set it up with an American Defense mount and Aimpoint micro T1. This setup works great as my Mechanical sights 1/3 Co-Witness through my optics. Do some checking, but this might be a great combo for you on that rifle.

As a side note..... You are going to love that rifle! I took mine straight out of the box and went target shooting, I did not even oil it. I shot 800 rounds before I went home and cleaned it. I went out a week later and put on my optics and put 400 more rounds down range. After shooting 1200 rounds using several different types of ammo, including cheap steel case Russian crap, I have Not Had one single misfire, jam or any malfunction period! The rifle is flawless!! Worth every cent!

Colt562
09-13-2012, 6:35 PM
There's Eotech's and then there is everything else, I have the 6920 with the fixed sight, and plan on getting the ARMS folding front sight, still they same style as the A2

veeklog
09-13-2012, 6:48 PM
Take your pick; ACOG's, Aimpoints, and Eotechs are all good optics; you can't go wrong with any of the three. It depends on how much you want to spend, but you should look at EE on this site or several others and might find a good deal. My last two optics I bought, a Aimpoint M68 (on Larue Cantilever mount, two rubber covers, extra battery compartment, and kill flash) and a Trijicon TA31RCO ACOG (on Larue Mount, kill flash, and case) on another site's EE. I paid less than $500 USD for the Aimpoint and $1000 USD for the ACOG.

xxINKxx
09-13-2012, 6:55 PM
Aimpoint pro is a good buy. It's in the very low 400$ range and includes the right mounts for an AR. Hard to beat as far as red dots go.

nitroxdiver
09-13-2012, 8:47 PM
I have several different AR opics. Aimpoint, eotech, acog. My favorite. Elcan spectre DR 1x-4x. It costs a bit, but is a wonderful optic. If your budget allows almost 2k, it's worh looking into. Nice rifle btw! Have fun.

Press Check
09-13-2012, 9:19 PM
I have a ACOG TA31-CH (crosshair model), and it's nothing short of amazing. You get the precision of a traditional scope with the durability of a CQB optic. With the BDC, there's no turrets to play with, or manual adjustments to make. The BDC is extremely accurate, and I've not had a single problem pelting steel plates at 400m with a 14.5" barrel and crap ammunition like M193, PMC, etc.

The reticle is razor sharp, the glass is crystal clear, and the overall clarity is astounding. The cluster of illuminated ranging lines can be used for fast target acquisition in close quarters, no different than Chevron models.

My ACOG sits atop a Colt M4 Carbine, secured in a Trijicon-badged Bobro Engineering mount.

No batteries, and no bull**** to deal with.

Mine has John 8:12 inscribed: I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.

iano1
09-13-2012, 9:38 PM
Like many have said, can't go wrong with Eotech/Aimpoint/ACOG... If you want to be frugal- Vortex SPARC isn't bad and has lifetime warranty

Wherryj
09-14-2012, 7:24 AM
If you can afford an ACOG you can afford better back-up iron sights than the Magpul MBUS. The Magpul sights are flimsy and have a pretty poor sight picture in my opinion. Drop the extra money for decent irons, you'll be pleased. Unless you truly plan to never use your irons.

I agree. Spend a little more for the Troy sight. You won't regret it.

epilepticninja
09-14-2012, 1:53 PM
I own an EOTech 2.0 and a Burris Fastfire III. For a Colt AR, I'd recommend either an EOTech or Aimpoint PRO.

Striker
09-14-2012, 9:03 PM
I never ran the Burris but I spent plenty of time with it at the store countersÖ I consider the Burris MTAC when I was looking at 1-4x opticsÖ I picked the Vortex over the Burris for a few reasons.

Burris isnít a True 1x scope.
I didnít want a BDC reticle, Vortex reticle can be used for any caliber, any load, on any weapon.
I like the reticle better on the Vortex, more traditional crosshair with MOA or MIL graduations.
The optical clarity on the Vortex was better.
I wanted Turrets, I like to be able to dial in correction, and I bought the scope for precision shooting, not holdover shooting. You can still hold over with the Vortex, just have to know your DOPE, or just dial it in too.
It was easier for me at least to be more precise using the reticle on the Vortex.

What I donít like about the Vortex PSTÖ I wish illumination during the day was brighter, it would have made a better CQB type optic at 1xÖ but itís still usable. Its overall a better low power variable for target shooting. I am really hoping the SWFA 1-6x covers that for me, it would make an excellent RECCE rifle optic if it does.

My existing optics purchases may have also influenced my decisionÖ The ACOG pretty much covered any benefits or advantages it may have had over the MTAC in terms of reticle and usage. If there is one thing thatís done VERY well on the ACOG itís the reticle and the no maintenance design. Low light performance, optical clarity, and field of view are also amazing. I really donít use mine as much as I would like to, but I really have a hard time selling it.

To step it up another notch in terms of low power variable optics, look at the 1-4x and 1-8x US Optics DFP scopes. Itís basically a RDS and a regular scope in one. I havenít tried one yet, but if itís that good, Iíd consider selling my ACOG and SWFA or Vortex scope to get it.

Thanks. Appreciate the write up.