PDA

View Full Version : Breacher tip needed?

Grifter206
09-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Just wondering, do you really need a breacher tip to break down a door? Can't you just put your barrel against the door and use buck shot to break it down?

Baconator
09-13-2012, 10:50 AM
You breaking into a house at the moment?

AE102
09-13-2012, 10:53 AM
Maybe he locked himself out.

Ribkick
09-13-2012, 11:00 AM
Don't put your muzzle against anything or you'll blow the barrel up.

Grifter206
09-13-2012, 11:39 AM
i was wondering because I see all these bells and whistles on mossberg shotguns. I kinda see that breacher tip just for the tacticool look.

Maltese Falcon
09-13-2012, 11:46 AM
Royal Arms.

They may only sell to LE though...

Lot's of prohibited LE goodies in their lineup.

Dreaded Claymore
09-13-2012, 1:52 PM
As long as the muzzle device has lots of holes in it, it'll probably work. If you use buckshot, stuff on the other side of the door may be hit too. Breaching slugs avoid this problem.

I hope you're only doing this to your own door, and not someone else's.

Chaos47
09-13-2012, 2:02 PM
Don't put your muzzle against anything or you'll blow the barrel up.

This.

I once had the opportunity to talk to an old school SWAT guy that was the breacher. He said he used to have a dowel attached to his barrel so he could stand the barrel off enough from the door.

BigDogatPlay
09-13-2012, 4:55 PM
The breacher tube in it's role as a muzzle brake, which is all it really is anyway, allows door contact without pressure buildup in the barrel and allows the slug and the forward pressure to really work well. I had forgotten about the old school dowel trick, but it is a good field expedient.

Breaching slugs are frangible and go to powder once they've done their thing to minimize risk on the other side.

hermosabeach
09-13-2012, 5:54 PM
A few thoughts

Would you shoot a rock between your feet???

The breaching rounds are designed to minimize injury to the breacher and team.

The rounds are also designed to vaporize on impact.

If there are people and pets in the room, 2,3 or 4 OO buck pellets going into the room might create.. Err... A bad thing

Breaching rounds are not much more money than slugs

You really do not need to train much when compared to OO and or slugs

With breaching rounds it is about muzzle placement and cycling the firearm.

Himar
09-14-2012, 10:27 AM
I have one (breaching tip) and I thought it looked cool, but couldn't think of a real world use for my purposes. Then a friend suggested that in a HD situation it could be used as a blunt force attack object if needed. So I left it on.