PDA

View Full Version : Do I clean my AK out of the box?

MKMS
09-13-2012, 9:08 AM
Hey everyone,

I got an M+M M10 AK47 as an early X-Mas gift from my lovely GF. While I was tinkering with it, I notice a bunch of gunk around some parts of the AK. I was thinking of going to the range this Sun. and is wondering if I have to clean it up. I have been on the search function for a while and only found:
- The standard rule, of always cleaning a gun when you first get it.
- M10 is good to go out of the box
- You can use pee to clean out a AK that used Corrosive Ammo. :D

But seriously, should I be worried about the gunk and clean it up or am I G2G?

Thanks,

HK35
09-13-2012, 9:11 AM
I'd at least clean the barrel then go shoot the heck out of it...

CK_32
09-13-2012, 9:11 AM
Tag.

Man I wasted my big 5k post on a tag :(

From what I've read it's probably a celetriptoline or something and it's like a caked on grease.. Let it sit in the sun in a plastic bag and sweat it out and clean it off and then feline and shoot..

Not sure why or what it does or doesn't do but what I've seen all over. Also curious of answers tho

Black Majik
09-13-2012, 9:12 AM
Always clean, lubricate and inspect before firing first round.

frankDmole
09-13-2012, 9:16 AM
- You can use pee to clean out a AK that used Corrosive Ammo. :D

Would probably work but, why not just use Windex, same result.

chozenfew805
09-13-2012, 9:19 AM
Since I've adopted how I handle weapons in the military the same way when dealing with my own personal firearms I always follow the step listed below regardless if it's coming out of my safe/BNIB prior to hitting the range!

1. Visual Inspection
2. Disassemble
3. Inspect, clean, and lube any operating parts if necessary
4. Assemble
5. Functions check
6. Carry on smartly

but then again, it is an AK:43:

TheExiled
09-13-2012, 9:43 AM
Clean, then blast away

Sicarius
09-13-2012, 9:46 AM
Clean any new firearm. This way you can visually inspect everything. Who knows what happens from manufacturing to where it gets to your door. Debris in your barrel and what not.
Kevin

cannon
09-13-2012, 10:07 AM
Always clean, lubricate and inspect before firing first round.

QFT, you have no idea which drunken monkey put it together. Be safe not sorry. ;)

jpm804
09-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Hey I just got that rifle also too .... I'm planning to do a cleaning and lube of it before I go take it out for its first shots. I figure it couldnt do it any harm.

MKMS
09-13-2012, 10:51 AM
Looks like the consensus is clear. Clean then have fun. Thanks everyone.

Ya it is very true, "better safe then sorry".

Tag.

Man I wasted my big 5k post on a tag :(

From what I've read it's probably a celetriptoline or something and it's like a caked on grease.. Let it sit in the sun in a plastic bag and sweat it out and clean it off and then feline and shoot..

Not sure why or what it does or doesn't do but what I've seen all over. Also curious of answers tho
I feel honored for using your 5k post.:cool:

Ya I saw that too, but it was funny and interesting to read that you can use pee.

Hey I just got that rifle also too .... I'm planning to do a cleaning and lube of it before I go take it out for its first shots. I figure it couldnt do it any harm.
Looks like your in my neck of the city. Where you planning on shooting at?

someR1
09-13-2012, 12:23 PM
takes 30 minutes for a good cleaning, just do it.

Norcalkid
09-13-2012, 12:44 PM
I give it a good cleaning and inspection when new. Then I clean mine after every case of ammo (1k).

JDW67
09-13-2012, 1:04 PM
Ok, I'll be the first to say it, "Post pics of lovely GF..." :P

phdo
09-13-2012, 1:14 PM
I always clean and inspect my guns to familiarize myself with it when I first get it. It has became a ritual.

BigRobb
09-13-2012, 1:21 PM
I always do a thorough takedown, inspect, and clean any firearm that is new to me. Then, re-assemble, check the action and safeties, the get to firing. Even more-so if it is a used firearm.

It's good practice anyways. It let's you understand the firearm better, and I enjoy seeing how it "goes bang"

chead
09-13-2012, 1:49 PM
I give it a good cleaning and inspection when new. Then I clean mine after every case of ammo (1k).

Me too. Brush the bore, give it a good scrub with the appropriate cleaner, wipe, lube, wipe.. SHOOT :)

bearj
09-13-2012, 2:01 PM
yes

CK_32
09-13-2012, 2:28 PM
I'm surprised z hasn't shown up to give some AK knowledge yet.

Full Clip
09-13-2012, 2:37 PM

Just use plain water. The ammonia story is bogus.

Nosynchro
09-13-2012, 6:29 PM
Nice! I also have a M+M M10-762. Give it a good cleaning and lube. When I opened up the receiver on my rifle, there was a very light coating of cosmoline inside.

jpm804
09-13-2012, 7:59 PM
Looks like your in my neck of the city. Where you planning on shooting at?

might not be for awhile since I am waiting to get a new Bullet Button or go featureless with this rifle to just try it out.

tujungatoes
09-13-2012, 9:09 PM
Always clean and inspect any new gun prior to firing. Also...urine contains salts and should not be used to clean firearms as it may actually contribute to corrosion. Windex is a bunch of bunk too.

RobGR
09-14-2012, 1:46 PM
Just use plain water. The ammonia story is bogus.

+1

plain boiling water

always enjoy this part of the corrosive ammo discussion, ha