PDA

View Full Version : Help to decide on Ruger Mk II or III

Rangda
09-12-2012, 10:46 PM
Hi guys. I'm thinking to add a 22lr in my safe. I'm tire of keep renting from range rental. The gun shop I usually go to can get me a Ruger Mk III standard for $350. And a family friend has a Mk II and willing to sell for $300. I know the difference of II and III are the mag release location and mag safety. And they don't use the same magazine.

What do you guys think? Should I get a Mk II or III? Is $300 a fair deal for a Mk II?

Chaos47
09-12-2012, 10:54 PM
You pretty much nailed it, magazine release location and style and magazine safety.
Personally I prefer the 3 because of the release location.
The Magazine safety can be easily removed.

So its up to you if its worth the difference for pretty much just the different release style

You wont be paying tax on the mk2 so that might make it a better deal.. unless you ment 350 total on the mk3

Lead Waster
09-12-2012, 10:56 PM
I would pick the MK2...they don't make them anymore!

$300 wouldn't be bad, though $250 is better, since it's used.

I (overpaid) $350 for a used 22/45 which is more than a new one costs! But it came with a nice aluminum case, a compensator and different sights. It may or may not have had a trigger job or aftermarket trigger (the trigger is great!)

Oldnoob
09-12-2012, 11:01 PM
I would pick the MK2...they don't make them anymore!

$300 wouldn't be bad, though $250 is better, since it's used.

I (overpaid) $350 for a used 22/45 which is more than a new one costs! But it came with a nice aluminum case, a compensator and different sights. It may or may not have had a trigger job or aftermarket trigger (the trigger is great!)

Do you mind post a picture for your 22/45? I never seem on with compensator.

Red Devil
09-12-2012, 11:40 PM
Well...

If you're talkin' MkII Target?

Get it.

Freq18Hz
09-12-2012, 11:41 PM
Which mk II? If thats a bull barrel target model, 300 is a great price.

-Freq

KDTS
09-13-2012, 12:26 AM
I bought my stainless mk ii target (bull barrel) about a month ago for $400. Happy with my purchase. That thing is a tank.

dwtt
09-13-2012, 3:43 AM
I have a Mk II in stainless steel finish, with the heavy slab side barrel and target grips. It's lots of fun to shoot and makes the Mk 3 seem cheap in comparison. I suggest getting the Mk II.

drunktank
09-13-2012, 5:28 AM
I'd say get whichever one has a bill barrel.

HighLander51
09-13-2012, 6:15 AM
Turners has the Ruger 22/45 5.5" on sale all the time for $259. I put over 30,000 rounds thru mine shooting Steel Challenge, never a hicup.

Rangda
09-13-2012, 7:08 AM
Well...

If you're talkin' MkII Target?

Get it.

Which mk II? If thats a bull barrel target model, 300 is a great price.

-Freq

I'd say get whichever one has a bill barrel.

It just the standard thin barrel with small iron sight. I actually prefer the thin barrel over the bull barrel. I tried a 6" bull barrel in rental range once and it felt too top heavy for me.

Is that still an acceptable price?

44fred
09-13-2012, 7:13 AM
Will the MKIII fire w/o a magazine? I know my II will.
I bought a II Govt. mod. new way back when for my Father. He never used it so he gave it to me. Well what a gun, put many turkeys in the freezer during our gun clubs annual turkey shoot.
MKII gets my vote.

CK_32
09-13-2012, 7:19 AM
I was in the same boat.. Had a chance for a nice mark II for a great price.. But something made me want to have the mark III.

So my vote is mark3 cause I don't like the grip on my mark 2 and the no mag drop/loaded chamber indicstor are not killers for me..

I hate when people say oh it will change the design and ruin the reliability and I need them drop free. It's a dam mark III if your going to war and will actually red it reliable in harsh conditions or tactical speed reloads your an idiot. It's for plinking and target shooting..

Yea I'm going to get flamed on oh a 22 can kill.. But I think that is a stupid caliber to defend your self with unless that's absolutely all you have.

And I believe the mark III at turners was on sale for $250 not to long ago. Around there I could be mistaken.

TATER313
09-13-2012, 8:00 AM
you can find a 22/45 for $309 new with bull barrel.

Speedpower
09-13-2012, 8:14 AM
The MK III's are still on sale at Turners (last day today)

canopis
09-13-2012, 8:21 AM
The MK III's are still on sale at Turners (last day today)

Are all Mark III's on sale? All I see in their ad is the Mark III target for $360. The 22/45 bull barrel is $275.

sneather
09-13-2012, 8:32 AM
The Mark II in a heartbeat. As has been stated before. They don't make that classic any longer. The Mark III is a bastardized version of the classic. The moved mag release, the mag disconnect, the horrible (!!!) LCI that ruins the receiver, the changed internals, etc.

There's a reason you hear about a lot of guys replacing the MKIII guts with those from the MKII.

The MKIII is certainly better than most any other .22 pistol. So don't get me wrong, as I'm not trying to bash it, per se. It's just that the MKII is simply better.

littlejake
09-13-2012, 9:09 AM
The main operational difference to the shooter is the magazine catch. CLassic position on MKIII and on the bottom for the MKII.

Adding a mag disconnect and an LCI to an existing design has compromised the design. The MKIII hammer bushing is sloppy. The changes from MKII to MKIII were a solution looking for a problem.

Most people who buy MKIII's eliminate the magazine disconnect and the LCI. Many install Volquartsen internals to get a decent trigger.

As for me, I'd buy a MKII (or MKI) in a heartbeat over a MKIII.

YMMV

sneather
09-13-2012, 9:38 AM
[QUOTE=littlejake;9319036] The changes from MKII to MKIII were a solution looking for a problem.

That is a fantastic description, in a nut shell.

bombadillo
09-13-2012, 10:11 AM
I have a MKIII Slab side with the 6 /8" target barrel. I threw on a Volquartsen brake, and have the thumbrest target grips, and love the mag release where it is over the heel release. A lot of people take off the loaded chamber indicator, and you can find write-ups on rimfirecentral.com. I couldn't stand the heel release after shooting my buddy's mkI with a 5.5'' bull barrel. Anyway, hope this helps at all, but I really like the stainles versions of the MKIII and would either get a full bull or a Hunter if I had to do it again, but really do love the gun I own. I am into heavy stainless guns.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l122/bombadillo08/calguns%20and%20other/IMAG0262.jpg

gorenut
09-13-2012, 10:13 AM
Turners has the Ruger 22/45 5.5" on sale all the time for $259. I put over 30,000 rounds thru mine shooting Steel Challenge, never a hicup.

Got the same one last year. Mine has 1 or 2 failures per range trip (out of at least 500 rounds).. but its just a 22 and is easily off-set by how accurate it is.

Lead Waster
09-13-2012, 10:37 AM
Do you mind post a picture for your 22/45? I never seem on with compensator.

The compensator is just some dumb thing that attaches with a screw to the front sight screw hole, like this...

Like this "v-comp" one. That might be the one in fact.

https://www.volquartsen.com/category/26-barrel-add-ons/1-all

I'm actually going to take it off and shoot the 22/45 without it for a while, to see if it actually makes any difference at all.

EDIT: Ah, I see Bombadillo posted a pic with a compensated Ruger on it.

Lead Waster
09-13-2012, 10:45 AM
you can find a 22/45 for $309 new with bull barrel.

Yeah, this is what kills me. I bought my USED 22/45 on a whim (It was on consignment at a shop when I went to start DROS on a RIA Tactical) for $350. I didn't do any research (it was a whim!). But still, worth every penny. I have 9mm, .40 and .45 and this little .22 is just so fun for some reason! Oh, one reason is the cost of ammo!

Either one will have you forgetting the cost of the pistol soon enough. Handle both and buy whichever you like. It it were me, I'd consider the MKII, then later buy a MKIII if you want, just because the MKII would be harder to get if you decide you'd like that, you can always sell it again. UNLESS you hate used guns, in which case, of course, get the new one and make it your own.

MyOdessa
09-13-2012, 11:02 AM
Ruger Mk II, save your time now on converting Mk III to Mk II later. You will also save on taxes for new gun.

INFAMOUS762X39
09-13-2012, 12:14 PM
I am currently looking at a Ruger MKIII 22/45 Hunter 4.5" Barrel. A little Pricey but worth it imo.

Press Check
09-13-2012, 12:37 PM
Mark III

http://i46.tinypic.com/2m5nr6g.jpg

Speedpower
09-13-2012, 12:37 PM
I am currently looking at a Ruger MKIII 22/45 Hunter 4.5" Barrel. A little Pricey but worth it imo.

Which one are you looking for? MK III Hunter or 22/45? this are 2 different guns.

SamayouSamurai
09-13-2012, 1:20 PM
If you want to remove mag disconnect form Mark III, just buy this (http://www.amazon.com/Mark-Hammer-Bushing-Magazine-Disconnect/dp/B008GSOBTY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347567455&sr=8-1&keywords=mark+iii+magazine+disconnect+bushing). I just installed mine during lunch break. 10 minutes install. I was using two 5mm washer as temporary to fill the gap until this came in.

JoshlikesARs
09-13-2012, 1:32 PM
Hands down MKII.

Also, IMO the bull barrel is NOT needed. Ive shot both and grouping didn't change, but the weight difference is noticeable. My $0.02

DArBad
09-13-2012, 1:35 PM
If you want to remove mag disconnect form Mark III, just buy this (http://www.amazon.com/Mark-Hammer-Bushing-Magazine-Disconnect/dp/B008GSOBTY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347567455&sr=8-1&keywords=mark+iii+magazine+disconnect+bushing). I just installed mine during lunch break. 10 minutes install. I was using two 5mm washer as temporary to fill the gap until this came in.

OP, pardon for the thread hijack.

SamayouSamurai, can that be used on the MK III Target and/or Hunter??

Press Check
09-13-2012, 2:10 PM

Yes indeed.

DArBad
09-13-2012, 2:12 PM
Yes indeed.

Thanks, PC.

chonkey
09-13-2012, 2:30 PM
If you're comfortable with tinkering with a Mk III get it. You need some punches and a mk. II bushing. Throw in a Volquartsen seer and it's a sweet shooter. Lots of tutorials online and it wasn't that hard to do myself. If you don't want to tinker though just get the Mk. II. Nothing wrong with it even though it's older. If you don't mind not having drop free mags don't even tinker with the mk. III.

Press Check
09-13-2012, 2:43 PM
Prior to installing the bushing, the magazines in my Mark III shot out extremely well, without or with ammunition.

Chaos47
09-13-2012, 2:45 PM
The LCI and magazine disconnect are not hard to remove. And both can be done for very cheap.

While they might be nice you do not need the Volquartsen parts you do not need a new bushing. Really you don't even need punches, the pins come out very easy in my experience, a small screw driver or a tooth pick can do it in a pinch if you don't have punches. (Key to removing the pins is pushing down on the spring legs holding them in)

A magnet will pull the pin out of the LCI with no trouble at all.

2 5mm washers will replace the magazine disconnect and fit over your existing bushing.

So a magnet, some washers (Maybe a small file to open up the inside of the washers a bit depending on the washers you get) and less then 30 mins you can de-safety a MK3.
(Oh and if your working on a 22/45 you can do the sling shot mod at the same time)

HPGunner
09-13-2012, 3:03 PM
I love my MKIII - my mags drop free certain times. I don't even notice when it does or doesn't. Don't mind the loaded chamber indicator or mag disconnect safety. Got mine barely used for a decent price and it's the best bang for the buck gun I own. It delivers the most fun per dollar value.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-te7GSJE8YZI/T_T66ALDG4I/AAAAAAAADQ4/73WeyYuhFis/s800/DSC_0704.JPG

Press Check
09-13-2012, 3:12 PM
The LCI and magazine disconnect are not hard to remove. And both can be done for very cheap.

While they might be nice you do not need the Volquartsen parts you do not need a new bushing. Really you don't even need punches, the pins come out very easy in my experience, a small screw driver or a tooth pick can do it in a pinch if you don't have punches. (Key to removing the pins is pushing down on the spring legs holding them in)

A magnet will pull the pin out of the LCI with no trouble at all.

2 5mm washers will replace the magazine disconnect and fit over your existing bushing.

So a magnet, some washers (Maybe a small file to open up the inside of the washers a bit depending on the washers you get) and less then 30 mins you can de-safety a MK3.
(Oh and if your working on a 22/45 you can do the sling shot mod at the same time)

Huh?

The bushings can be had for as little as $10 shipped, and you'd probably spend that in gas driving to the local hardware store looking for 5mm washers. No, you don't need it, but really, we're only talking about $10.

No, you really don't need punches, but it's nice having the correct tools for any given job. If this was a one-time use situation, that's fine, but most shooters will routinely strip their pistols for upgrades or maintenance.

No, you really don't need a Volquartsen sear, but if you want a -2.5lbs trigger, yes, you do need it. At $25.95 shipped, it was the single best upgrade I purchased.

Press Check
09-13-2012, 3:20 PM
I love my MKIII - my mags drop free certain times. I don't even notice when it does or doesn't. Don't mind the loaded chamber indicator or mag disconnect safety. Got mine barely used for a decent price and it's the best bang for the buck gun I own. It delivers the most fun per dollar value.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-te7GSJE8YZI/T_T66ALDG4I/AAAAAAAADQ4/73WeyYuhFis/s800/DSC_0704.JPG

Wow, that picture makes me feel conflicted about purchasing a stainless Mark series pistol.

The LCI doesn't bother me at all either, and hasn't caused any problems or malfuntions. When I clean receiver, I remove the LCI, clean it, and put it back in. For me, it negates the need to Press Check (:D) my pistol.

t0kie
09-13-2012, 4:12 PM
Go with Mark II.

INFAMOUS762X39
09-13-2012, 4:32 PM
Which one are you looking for? MK III Hunter or 22/45? this are 2 different guns.

Sure those are two different guns obviously, but the Model I want has the best of both worlds. Like I said, MKIII Hunter 22/45.

It's on the roster:
KP45HMKIII - 4.5" Barrel
KP678HMKIII - 6.875" Barrel

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/5376/popwm80234.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/842/popwm80234.jpg/)

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=KP45HMKIII&view=detail&id=A02AAEF9B5C8A0732810CA61843445E07B222D53

Pics taken off bing.

SamayouSamurai
09-13-2012, 5:51 PM
OP, pardon for the thread hijack.

Yes, I'm using it on my MK III Target SS Bull Barrel

TripleThreat
09-13-2012, 5:55 PM
Get the 3, because 3 is a more than 2.

littlejake
09-13-2012, 6:15 PM
I post over at rimfirecentral.com -- You can get a metal LCI slot filler from user bpatza.

Beware of some new stainless steel MKIIIs -- inspect the inside finish of the receiver before buying. Some have gotten past Ruger QC; and they look like they were machined with a dull boring bar.

The MKIII can be a pain to disassemble and reassemble -- after a few times, it seems to get easier.

rogervzv
09-13-2012, 7:26 PM
I have the Mark II and two Mark IIIs. I would hate to choose between them. Other than the magazine release, no real difference. The LCI is nice to have in my opinion; I have never understood the guys who don't like this feature. Anyway, not much difference and both are great pistols!

Mark III

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a331/Roger54/Gun%20Stuff/DSC_0389.jpg

Mark II
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a331/Roger54/Gun%20Stuff/DSC_0251.jpg

markw
09-14-2012, 12:34 AM
I have never understood the guys who don't like this feature. Anyway, not much difference and both are great pistols!

In order for the LCI to pop up, the round has to move it as it is sliding up the breach face during the feed cycle. This means there is 1 more thing in the feed cycle that can go wrong causing a failure to feed.

Loaded chamber indicators serve no purpose because we know that a gun is always loaded and should be treated as such.

Oldnoob
09-14-2012, 6:42 AM
I have the Mark II and two Mark IIIs. I would hate to choose between them. Other than the magazine release, no real difference. The LCI is nice to have in my opinion; I have never understood the guys who don't like this feature. Anyway, not much difference and both are great pistols!

Mark III

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a331/Roger54/Gun%20Stuff/DSC_0389.jpg

Mark II
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a331/Roger54/Gun%20Stuff/DSC_0251.jpg

Is there any different in term of trigger between II and III?

rogervzv
09-14-2012, 7:48 AM
In order for the LCI to pop up, the round has to move it as it is sliding up the breach face during the feed cycle. This means there is 1 more thing in the feed cycle that can go wrong causing a failure to feed.

Loaded chamber indicators serve no purpose because we know that a gun is always loaded and should be treated as such.

I have never heard of, or experienced, a failure due to the LCI.

Of course all guns should be treated as loaded. It is still important to know whether it *is* loaded, and the LCI is a safety aid in such determination.

littlejake
09-14-2012, 8:36 AM
I have never heard of, or experienced, a failure due to the LCI.

Of course all guns should be treated as loaded. It is still important to know whether it *is* loaded, and the LCI is a safety aid in such determination.

Would you rely on the LCI to determine its loaded condition? Hope not -- because there is a metal feeler that fits in that plastic LCI indicator. If the little metal feeler goes MIA, the LCI will indicate unloaded with a round in the chamber.

The ONLY definitive test as to loaded chamber is to retract the bolt and look in the chamber.

sneather
09-14-2012, 8:38 AM

Couldn't agree more. It is one more mechanical device to foul and malfunction. I have read posts of people having issues with their MKIII LCI's, just as I have read stories about the LCI's on all sorts of center fire guns causing issues. It may not happen frequently, but why bother to deal with that at all?

Fundamentally, you simply always assume the gun is loaded, and treat it as such. There isn't an argument to be made here, because if you need some device to tell you the gun has a round in the chamber, then you have missed the point entirely.

Ruger only added the LCI and mag disconnect because they wanted to stay ahead of compliance for places like CA and MA. They didn't do so on their on volition.

Full Clip
09-14-2012, 8:43 AM
Damn, I love my Mk II, but now she may need a sister...

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k575/fullclip7/Ruger_MarkII_22.jpg