View Full Version : Basic shotgun resources? (ye gods this thing is BARBARIC!)

trigger hippie
09-12-2012, 1:21 PM
I had an epiphany with regards to shotguns today. It'll be basic enough to perhaps be amusing to the older heads on here, so I thought I'd share.

So I finally got my Mossberg 930 out of jail; immediately tore it down, cleaned it thoroughly and put it back together to understand how it works.

I've gotta say... wow... this thing is MASSIVE. What kind of immense violence is happening inside that shotgun? I thought the engineering on my 1911 and AR were beefy. They seem downright dainty compared to the shotgun's internals.

This is the first handheld firearm I've ever encountered that would double, very effectively, as a bludgeon. It is the most rugged man portable object I've ever encountered. I've been chided before by instructors for treating my AR like I was afraid to get it dirty... this thing feels like it could buttstroke the Devil himself and wipe off afterwards with just a rag and CLP.

Perhaps you inveterate shotgunners take this for granted, but, damn, this thing is a weapon. There is utterly nothing toylike about this object at all.

Like... the BOLT and SLED of the shotgun alone are probably about 2/3rds the mass of the 1911 slide, and easily twice the mass of the AR-15 slide. It is nearly four inches longer than my AR fully extended. Fully loaded it weighs as much as my AR and 1911 put together. It has enough spring pressure inside it to launch components hard enough to dent walls (haha).

This thing is insane!

Shotgun classes are obviously in my future... in the near term, though, before I prepare to take my shotgun out for its first shoot, would anyone recommend any basic resources (text, instructions, pics, videos, sites) to peruse beforehand? I'm a pretty "blank slate" when it comes to shotguns, so I guess this is a good opportunity to instill good basic habits.

This entire "point don't aim" thing is a revelation in and of itself. Seems to require a kind of oddly Zen mindset that seems at odds with the incredible brutality of the shotgun as a weapon.

09-12-2012, 1:36 PM
Congrats on your 930. You'll love it.
Is it the SPX?

trigger hippie
09-12-2012, 2:48 PM
Ohhh, right, pics.

930 JM Pro:

Basically unmolested so far but for a GG&G sling plate I added.

09-12-2012, 3:19 PM
Make sure the stock is up against your pocket between your shoulder and chest, cheek on the stock, and blast away :D

09-12-2012, 6:12 PM

Whats is covered:

Basic fit, mounting, pointing, leads

Different shells, chokes, shot sizes....and any other questions

Next Clinic is on the 22nd.......come join us and learn about shotguns, how to shoot them and how to dust clay.... all at the same time

09-13-2012, 6:11 AM
Shotgun: The all round gun of choice for every need.

I like the courses at Firearms Training Associates. They have both Basic and Advance courses in shotgun. I did them back to back which was brutal but a S**tload of fun.