PDA

View Full Version : 1 of my guns is going to war

1911whore
09-12-2012, 11:41 AM
I'm patting myself on the back a little bit because I am very proud of this moment. I just worked on a gentleman's pistol .... is instructions were to make the pistol work, make it reliable, and make the trigger clean. he comes over to pick the weapon up and he's at my ring the work, even tells me you've never seen such amazing work before. I asked him if he was going to be competing or carrying the pistol.... his reply was...... this baby is going straight to combat. with customer will remain nameless but he is leaving very very soon with a special operations unit for an 18 month deployment to Afghanistan.

I am very proud of 1 of my pistols is going to be in defense of this great nation on the hit of a true warrior.

godspeed my friend.........

TAS
09-12-2012, 11:53 AM
That's quite the honor. Keeping your customer's personal information confidential, I'm curious if you would let us know what he started with (make, model, cal.) and what sort of work you performed. Care to share?

GillaFunk
09-12-2012, 11:55 AM
NIIICE! Good to see a tool put to real use...instead of just punching holes in paper.

Hopefully his pistol gets some and keeps him safe and alive!

CV62
09-12-2012, 12:06 PM
Awesome! That weapon will be kicking some serious a@#$ out there. I sure hope they go hunting for those extremist in Libya.:13:

Godspeed!

JeremyS
09-12-2012, 12:09 PM
That's awesome! Like TAS requested, I am also quite curious to hear some of these details if possible. But... until you can also do some 'smithing on your speech-to-text program, I think you might want to actually type it out :p

Jeremy

em9sredbeam
09-12-2012, 12:15 PM
That's great. Godspeed and may he return safely.

Haplo
09-12-2012, 1:21 PM
Can you tell us anything about the gun?
Pics? :)

ftak
09-12-2012, 1:26 PM
What kind of pistol is it?

dls
09-12-2012, 1:26 PM
Yeah, is the pistol top secret too ?

m98
09-12-2012, 1:35 PM
Is he a contractor? I thought mil guys cant bring thier own personal toys to the war front? And whats the make n model. I bet it was a glock :rofl:

1911whore
09-12-2012, 1:50 PM
no the gun is not top secret and yes it is a Glock it was a Glock 21

Army
09-12-2012, 2:10 PM
No self respecting SOF guy would carry a Glock to war. They would also not advertise the fact they were: 1) Going to war. 2) Going to war with a personally owned weapon. 3) Telling anybody anything about their immediate future plans.

General Order #1 precludes any personally owned weapons in-country, regardless of what command or service branch you fall under. OPSEC also rules the day, and SOF people practice that more than others.

If he's a private contractor...all the above is moot.

mysak
09-12-2012, 2:19 PM
I knew of guys who carried Glocks and thought some army units used them also? (I'm personally not a fan)

1911whore
09-12-2012, 2:21 PM
No opsec was violated......i know him....we have similar backgrounds....knowing that someone is going to afghanistan is not a new thing. if the client wants to jump on Calguns and reveal himself then that's his decision not mine... so I'm not gonna do it. Trust what I say or not it makes no difference to me I know who he is I know what I did for him and that's that.
I was just testing the fact that I was proud 1 of my weapons was going to be on the hip a warrior and potentially have the opportunity to save his life if need be. so if you feel the need then go ahead and flame on.

I don't need to reveal who he is I don't need to review all the details of the work was completed on his weapon... I don't need to reveal what unit he's associated with or if he is a contractor.

again I'm not trying to be rude at all. I was simply proud the 1 of the guns that I work on was going to be on a warriors hip in theatre. further than that any other details are really totally and absolutely unimportant and I'm not going to debate them.

1911whore
09-12-2012, 2:23 PM
" no self respecting SOS guy would carry a Glock to war"

I guess that's why there are none in the CAG lockers right.....haha...

skyscraper
09-12-2012, 2:26 PM
Cool! What an honor.

It would be nice if just one thread could go without a bunch of arguments and accusations. For what it's worth I believe you.

SNCaliber
09-12-2012, 2:28 PM
that is awesome, what a great honor that your work will serve our country!

1911whore
09-12-2012, 2:28 PM
Sof.....not sos.

Autocorrect.

JTROKS
09-12-2012, 2:30 PM
No self respecting SOF guy would carry a Glock to war. They would also not advertise the fact they were: 1) Going to war. 2) Going to war with a personally owned weapon. 3) Telling anybody anything about their immediate future plans.

General Order #1 precludes any personally owned weapons in-country, regardless of what command or service branch you fall under. OPSEC also rules the day, and SOF people practice that more than others.

First of all I'm glad your customer is happy and confident with his gun he's bringing to war. I've been retired from active duty since early '08 so I can't say much about Command's or unit's policy, but when my unit deployed to Kuwait subsequently to Balad, Iraq, only personal weapons they let us bring were knives, medium size machetes and tomahawks. Unit commander had to say stop it to a Viking battle sword. The Iraqis might mistake it for a crusader's sword.

ianS
09-12-2012, 2:46 PM
" no self respecting SOS guy would carry a Glock to war"

I guess that's why there are none in the CAG lockers right.....haha...

Yep, formerly known as Delta Force or 1st SFOD-D have been using Glocks for at least 10 years now. Glock 19's are issued to certain elements in MARSOC too. But mention that and some people act like deer in the headlights or heavy denial sets in.

sjm9877
09-12-2012, 3:21 PM
A Glock 21 sounds like an odd choice. I don't think it would crack my top 10. However if he has his choice I wish him good luck and I hope the work you did for him will serv him well.

leadstorm
09-12-2012, 3:31 PM
OPSEC also rules the day, and SOF people practice that more than others.
Unless you can make a crapton of money off the proceeds, right?

http://www.amazon.com/No-Easy-Day-Firsthand-Account/dp/0525953728

JTROKS
09-12-2012, 4:17 PM
Unless you can make a crapton of money off the proceeds, right?

http://www.amazon.com/No-Easy-Day-Firsthand-Account/dp/0525953728

Yup! Pre-OIF during deployment they didn't even want us e-mailing pictures that had some form of landmark and our unit patch or identifiers. Then there's the spouse's network that knew the total strength of the unit, personnel and equipment chalks. LoL!

Contractors that serves armed detail are a different story for they can bring what they deem is needed. There was an older dude (mid 50s) in Balad that I see during chow wearing Vietnam era fatigues toting an unscoped M14. Didn't get a chance to chat with him. I did see some contractors with MP5s and Glocks, some had Benelli semi auto shotguns. Wouldn't be surprised to see Dillon Miniguns on armored Suburbans. We had a HMMWV mounted w/ a M249, but we never shot it.

JeremyS
09-12-2012, 7:58 PM
I don't need to review all the details of the work was completed on his weapon...Of course not, but it would certainly be interesting and I'd love to hear what you did! You didn't need to post this thread, either :p. I'm glad you did, I think it's awesome, and I'd really like to hear what you did to the gun to make it [truly] battle worthy in this person's eyes. As much or as little detail as you want to go into, or none at all, is your choice of course. I'm sure other people would be curious to hear.

Army
09-13-2012, 7:13 AM
Yep, formerly known as Delta Force or 1st SFOD-D have been using Glocks for at least 10 years now. Glock 19's are issued to certain elements in MARSOC too. But mention that and some people act like deer in the headlights or heavy denial sets in.
We're not talking about issued or inventory weapons. This is a privately owned gun.

As for OPSEC, yes, even telling you violated that rule. After all, YOU just told all of US that members of the SOF community will be deploying very shortly to theatre, and one will be packing an illegal firearm. Doesn't take much more than that to start gathering more information on who,what,where, why, how.

Not to denigrate your work, I'm sure you do some fine stuff, but this thread is not needed as it is written.

1911whore
09-13-2012, 8:58 AM
ohh my god the secret out special operations forces are going to be deploying to Afghanistan...........no way..... have not been happening for about the last 11 f****** years. ohh my god 1 of their Glocks actually has had work done to it....

again not uncommon. I guess if you're a regular army guy with the regular army mindset this is all very appalling in new information to you. I know that may not havr been found in your 7-8

fullspeed1
09-13-2012, 9:02 AM
Is he a contractor? I thought mil guys cant bring thier own personal toys to the war front? And whats the make n model. I bet it was a glock :rofl:

You must make a killing in Vegas....

JNunez23
09-13-2012, 9:06 AM
That's quite the honor. Keeping your customer's personal information confidential, I'm curious if you would let us know what he started with (make, model, cal.) and what sort of work you performed. Care to share?

TAS, Is that a Panther lure on your avatar????

Very cool btw 1911Whore. Great honor!!

k1dude
09-13-2012, 11:23 AM
There's a whole lot of you out there that have no clue what you're talking about regarding certain weapons and what weapons are allowed to be carried by special ops. And why are military and contractors the only options? Think people. Think.

1911whore
09-13-2012, 11:36 AM
K1Dude

Hit the nail on the head. We have a winner.
Sometimes we open our mouths with limited or no knowledge. K1dude finally said it.

BigRobb
09-13-2012, 11:45 AM
That must be a great feeling!

Let's pray he makes it back safely!

tbc
09-13-2012, 11:53 AM
Taking a Glock 21 to Afg. was an excellent decision.

Wishing him the best. Come home safely!

Plisk
09-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Some people in this thread aren't familiar with how unit inventory acquisition can work for those have the ability to use the system.

I've worked on a few tools that ended up going down range as well. It's a true honor to work on such things.

nick562
09-13-2012, 2:38 PM
Did u do a trigger job? extended magwell, some engraving or reflex sight? why would you take a custom firearm in to combat that will be harder to fix if something breaks?

Kempfer
09-13-2012, 3:02 PM
Did u do a trigger job? extended magwell, some engraving or reflex sight? why would you take a custom firearm in to combat that will be harder to fix if something breaks?

Maybe that is why he took a glock... :P

feelgood
09-13-2012, 4:28 PM
Congrats...more power to you...and God speed to that gentleman!!!

Plisk
09-13-2012, 5:38 PM

There's a difference from a tuned system and a custom system. More then likely, such things done to a Glock are enhancing present parts and not making any major system changes to where if you drop in a replacement part the overall performance isn't changed all that much.

Let's say I did some polishing on the trigger bar to make the trigger pull smoother. Trigger bar somehow breaks, or gets lost etc. I drop in a new factory trigger bar. Ok, not as smooth anymore but it still works.

skyscraper
09-13-2012, 7:41 PM

You do know what a custom gun is, right?

Rattlehead
09-14-2012, 9:55 AM

Huh?

tuna quesadilla
09-14-2012, 10:03 AM
I'm curious as to what exactly you did to the Glock. I'm a Glockophile and I'm wondering what a real-deal operator would want to change on his Glock.

jdg30
09-14-2012, 3:51 PM
I'm curious as to what exactly you did to the Glock. I'm a Glockophile and I'm wondering what a real-deal operator would want to change on his Glock.

.25 cent trigger job?

NYT
09-16-2012, 9:35 AM
gotta love the comments from the bleachers here. some guys just blow me away with their utter ignorance.

congrats on the build and indeed it is an honor that something you helped build is going to be used in defense of our country.

The Virus
09-16-2012, 10:40 AM
Haters gonna hate.

john67elco
09-16-2012, 11:48 AM
Maybe that is why he took a glock... :P

^^^^^^ this

18Dmedic
09-16-2012, 10:43 PM
hmmmm...Fawking monday morning quarterbacks are strong in this thread. These pics are just some quick ones from the net. NO OPSEC/PERSEC have been violated in their dissemination.

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/648/apf2320080412121926528.jpg
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/6100/apf2320080412121948674.jpg
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54542&d=1213744357
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4063/4608684318_a912d480bc_b.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4038/4446280539_f995e557f2_o.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4047/4446974670_e0d5b0dae7_o.jpg

Anyway...for the most part, we can do pretty much what we want depending on the flexibility of the command. And they are usually very supportive of our wants and needs. Remember the saying, "ounces equal pounds and pounds equal pain." Whatever works and is most comfortable for us to do our job efficiently is what we roll with. We also have relaxed grooming standards and even use AK47s and a variety of other weapons. Like others mentioned, haters gonna hate and flamers gonna flame.

Anyway, the only reason I'm remotely posting on this thread is that I respect the OPs work and I consider him my friend. I stand by my friends and respect the people I believe in. Its not the first weapon he's worked on for me and it wont be the last. His skills are on par with anyone I have worked with.

And Wait for it...this will blow the regular army types and the airsofters' brains but we actually also mix and match camo too. Oh no! I've personally used tiger stripe, Desert tiger stripe, woodland, ACU, multicam, and many others. WHATEVER works. Get the theme here?

Anyway, thanks for the good work D. Please keep me in your prayers guys. The green on green violence there is getting out of hand. I'm gonna go spend time with my babies and wife. As I leave in a few days. God Bless.

Arondos
09-16-2012, 11:04 PM
Working on submarines for twenty years. Departures were classified till 24 hours prior to. Mom & Dad knew when I called and said won't be calling for a while what it meant.

Simply saying you are deploying may or may not break any rules...

tuna quesadilla
09-16-2012, 11:06 PM
.25 cent trigger job?

I tried to think of things that somebody would want to do to their Glock, and they are all pretty much able to be done by the user. The 25 cent trigger job is an example. Since the OP made it seem like he was a gunsmith of some sort, I was curious as to whether this Glock actually had custom smithing done to it or if he just had the smith do something elementary like installing drop-in LWD parts...

zfields
09-16-2012, 11:09 PM
I tried to think of things that somebody would want to do to their Glock, and they are all pretty much able to be done by the user. The 25 cent trigger job is an example. Since the OP made it seem like he was a gunsmith of some sort, I was curious as to whether this Glock actually had custom smithing done to it or if he just had the smith do something elementary like installing drop-in LWD parts...

Slightly enlarged magwell, sights (possibly milled for RDS), fitting threaded barrel for suppressor use, stipling. Who knows, there is plenty of things that are "real world" usable that arent a quick fluff and buff.

ROCKETW19
09-16-2012, 11:33 PM
tagging this thread as i also want to know what work was on the Glock 21. Specially since I just bought one,lol

Oh and if you dont belive the OP then just exit the thread, why would anyone lie about this stuff come on.

JTROKS
09-16-2012, 11:36 PM
Yeah maybe a threaded barrel install for that silent kill, but wouldn't a gunsmith need an assault weapon FFL for doing that type of work? Maybe OP has one. Whatever the OP did I'm sure it's more than a $.25 trigger job.

LAKings22
09-16-2012, 11:52 PM
I'm curious to know what you did on the glock

Plisk
09-17-2012, 12:02 AM
Yeah maybe a threaded barrel install for that silent kill, but wouldn't a gunsmith need an assault weapon FFL for doing that type of work? Maybe OP has one. Whatever the OP did I'm sure it's more than a $.25 trigger job.

He could have always pinned the magazine in place while the barrel was installed in the weapon.

Ron-Solo
09-17-2012, 12:08 AM
18DMedic,

Stay safe and Godspeed to you and all your buddies.

Ron

Scuba Steve33
09-17-2012, 12:12 AM

Right, because you're SOF. Responses like that is what gives regular Army a bad rap.

We're not talking about issued or inventory weapons. This is a privately owned gun.

As for OPSEC, yes, even telling you violated that rule. After all, YOU just told all of US that members of the SOF community will be deploying very shortly to theatre, and one will be packing an illegal firearm. Doesn't take much more than that to start gathering more information on who,what,where, why, how.

Not to denigrate your work, I'm sure you do some fine stuff, but this thread is not needed as it is written.

I lived with an ODA team and they had several of their own weapons. Whatever they are most proficient with, they use. They even had AKs.

hmmmm...Fawking monday morning quarterbacks are strong in this thread. These pics are just some quick ones from the net. NO OPSEC/PERSEC have been violated in their dissemination.

Good luck, Medic. Stay safe. My platoon lived with an ODA team from 7th group. At first they "hated" us because we were regular Army until we proved ourselves. Their dislike wasn't for any reason, as displayed in this thread. I'll keep you in my thoughts. I'm fortunate I had the opportunity to live, train and fight with those men. I learned so much and am grateful. Plus they hooked us up! :D

helpme
09-17-2012, 12:31 AM

You must make a killing in Vegas....

:rofl:

helpme
09-17-2012, 12:39 AM

Damn, you got OWNED by 18Dmedic... :18: hahaha!