PDA

View Full Version : Kimber Eclipse 1st 1911 finally home!

Greez82
09-11-2012, 10:22 PM
Well the day has come!!! picked her up tonight. Pics are not great taken with my iphone. Hope to get some range time this weekend. I couldnt be happier!

This is my first 1911 and I am probably maing some newb mistakes but here is what i am having issues with;

when I rack the slide with the kimber factory mag inserted i am unable to realese the slide no matter how hard i push.

I have 2 CMC mags both are very difficult to insert i have to literally slam them hard to insert them. with the CMC mags i am able to easily operate the slide lock.

hope someone can enlighten this newb

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp192/adamkaye1/photo3.jpg

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp192/adamkaye1/photo2-1.jpg

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp192/adamkaye1/photo1.jpg

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp192/adamkaye1/photo4.jpg

LAKings22
09-11-2012, 10:27 PM
My favorite finish from kimber. Congrats on your new 1911

SgtMerc
09-11-2012, 10:35 PM
Well the day has come!!! picked her up tonight. Pics are not great taken with my iphone. Hope to get some range time this weekend. I couldnt be happier!

This is my first 1911 and I am probably maing some newb mistakes but here is what i am having issues with;

when I rack the slide with the kimber factory mag inserted i am unable to realese the slide no matter how hard i push.

I have 2 CMC mags both are very difficult to insert i have to literally slam them hard to insert them. with the CMC mags i am able to easily operate the slide lock.

hope someone can enlighten this newb

Congrats on your new 1911!

When you say you're unable to release the slide with the factory mag, what are you pushing? The slide lock? The back of the slide? Personally, i never use the factory mag.

With the aftermarket mags, i had problems inserting my wilson 47D's until they were worn in. As you slam your mags home, they will become easier to insert and drop.

Likewise, some people will say that you don't need to "break in" a 1911. With the kimbers, i had a couple of failures in the first box, but some of that might have been limp-wristing, and some of that might have been break-in. I know that after 100 rounds, mine ran smooth as butter.

Good luck and have fun at the range!

XVIga_Rob
09-11-2012, 10:39 PM
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!

Have you field stripped , cleaned & lubed the pistol? You may have a defective mag. I use Wilson 47D's in my TLE and have never had an issue.

Riddler
09-11-2012, 10:40 PM
I would buy a couple Kimpro tac mags. They never gave me any problems with feeding.

JeremyS
09-11-2012, 10:43 PM
Nice! I love that finish also. Which is funny, because I've never been a 2-tone person (not guns, not cars) but this really works and I've always thought it's a really great looking gun!

Congrats.

Greez82
09-11-2012, 10:50 PM
Congrats on your new 1911!

When you say you're unable to release the slide with the factory mag, what are you pushing? The slide lock? The back of the slide? Personally, i never use the factory mag.

Good luck and have fun at the range!

I am pushing the slide release. With the factory mag it wont budge, with the mcormick mags I can push the slide release with ease.

Also if i drop the factory mag i can push the slide release easily as well.

Fyi I have only tried this without ammo the gun is unloaded

Greez82
09-11-2012, 10:53 PM
Nice! I love that finish also. Which is funny, because I've never been a 2-tone person (not guns, not cars) but this really works and I've always thought it's a really great looking gun!

Congrats.

I am usually not into 2-tone either but my wife picked this gun as a present for our anniversary. I wanted all black she liked all stainless, we saw this and I actually liked the look and so did she!

POLICESTATE
09-11-2012, 10:54 PM
I know someone who got an Eclipse. The finish is remarkable, and it's a great looking 1911, not to mention shoot very well. He replaced his FLGR with a GI Plug but no other modification made (nor necessary)

Shoot the hell out of it! Wilson Combat magazines work very well with these guns.

Shapes And Colors
09-11-2012, 11:27 PM
Congrats! That finish is just beautiful. Makes me want one.

ChaneRZ
09-11-2012, 11:44 PM
Congrats! 1911s are awesome!

D53
09-11-2012, 11:47 PM
I really like the finish on the Eclipse models. I have been wanting to pick one up in 10mm..........one of these days. Congrats on your purchase

SgtMerc
09-11-2012, 11:50 PM
I am pushing the slide release. With the factory mag it wont budge, with the mcormick mags I can push the slide release with ease.

I just emptied my kimber factory mag. Locked slide to rear, inserted empty factory mag and tried to drop slide via slide lock. It wouldn't drop. Emptied out my Wilson 47D and tried the same. It took some (possibly excessive) force but did drop. I then reinserted factory mag and pushed slide lock down while pulling slide slightly back. Slide was able to drop freely. I guess that is intended.

Do you have any trouble chambering snap caps with this method? Most people I know don't use the slide lock to return it to battery, but that's a debate for another thread. I always just rack it.

I say if it chambers properly, not to worry.

asgalindez
09-11-2012, 11:54 PM

Since you're a 1911 newb, here's lesson 1.

Never let the slide slam home on a empty chamber.

from Hilton Yam's articles on 1911's at www.10-8Performance.com (http://www.10-8performance.com/pages/1911-User%27s-Guide.html):
Always ease the slide down on an empty chamber, never slam it shut from slide lock. A G.I. rack grade 1911 may do fine when you slam the slide on the empty chamber, but a gun with a tuned trigger and fitted barrel will do better without it. The jarring of the slide slamming down on an empty chamber can cause the hammer to follow and the sear nose to crash into the hammer hooks. Your trigger job will last longer if you ease the slide down. Further, the lower lugs on a match fit barrel take a lot of impact when they contact the slide stop, and without the buffering effect of the round feeding into the chamber, you increase wear on your barrel by slamming the slide on an empty chamber. It's not the end of the world if the slide drops on an empty chamber, but it's not a good habit to develop either. It is the sign of an amateur 1911 handler.

TripleThreat
09-11-2012, 11:56 PM
I love Kimbers, that thing sure is pruty.

Congratulations!

Triple

POLICESTATE
09-12-2012, 12:10 AM

from Hilton Yam's articles on 1911's at www.10-8Performance.com (http://www.10-8performance.com/pages/1911-User%27s-Guide.html):

I won't even slam a slide on an empty chamber in any firearm. Snap caps or live ammo only! Just a good habit to get into.

Greez82
09-12-2012, 12:16 AM
I just emptied my kimber factory mag. Locked slide to rear, inserted empty factory mag and tried to drop slide via slide lock. It wouldn't drop. Emptied out my Wilson 47D and tried the same. It took some (possibly excessive) force but did drop. I then reinserted factory mag and pushed slide lock down while pulling slide slightly back. Slide was able to drop freely. I guess that is intended.

Do you have any trouble chambering snap caps with this method? Most people I know don't use the slide lock to return it to battery, but that's a debate for another thread. I always just rack it.

I say if it chambers properly, not to worry.

when the slide is locked to the rear with the factory mag the slide release wont budge. no matter how i manipulate the slide when locked back i cant get the release to move. I have to drop the factory mag to release the slide. I do not have any snap caps so I have not tried it. I will play with it at the range this weekend. I usually only rack the slide to chamber the round especially since i am left handed. I am just curious as to why it wont release with the factory mag but works fine with the mccormick mags. My only guess is because it is new and really tight.

with the mccormick mags the slide release works with very little effort when I pull the slide and depress the slide release. thanks for looking into this appreciate it.

Greez82
09-12-2012, 12:17 AM

Good to know! thanks.

1000stars
09-12-2012, 12:30 AM
This is my first 1911 and I am probably maing some newb mistakes

Sweet finish! Careful not to put idiot mark when reassembling.

InGrAM
09-12-2012, 12:59 AM
Looks good, congrats.

ELIXIR
09-12-2012, 8:29 AM
I love that finish and color scheme! Congrats!

NytWolf
09-12-2012, 8:39 AM
It looks just like mine. That finish on the Eclipses are beautiful. Just make sure you don't accidentally ding it. Although the finish is very beautiful, it is also very thin. My bro-in-law dropped my other 10mm handgun onto my Eclipse and literally scraped a little of the black portion off. There is absolutely no damage to the metal underneath though.

Greez82
09-12-2012, 8:42 AM
It looks just like mine. That finish on the Eclipses are beautiful. Just make sure you don't accidentally ding it. Although the finish is very beautiful, it is also very thin. My bro-in-law dropped my other 10mm handgun onto my Eclipse and literally scraped a little of the black portion off. There is absolutely no damage to the metal underneath though.

Good to know I was wondering how durable the finish is.

JackRydden224
09-12-2012, 8:55 AM
That's sexy. Can I make sweet love to it ?

Congrats on the purchase.

Budd
09-12-2012, 8:59 AM
Did you not check gun functionality when you picked it up?:confused:

Or at least have them demonstrate how to operate it?

NytWolf
09-12-2012, 11:36 AM
Did you not check gun functionality when you picked it up?:confused:

Or at least have them demonstrate how to operate it?

Mine does exactly the same thing as OP explained. I've never been able to use the slide release when the stock magazine is inserted. I haven't tried with the MetalForm magazines I bought though.

gti_20ae
09-12-2012, 1:00 PM
when the slide is locked to the rear with the factory mag the slide release wont budge. no matter how i manipulate the slide when locked back i cant get the release to move. I have to drop the factory mag to release the slide. I do not have any snap caps so I have not tried it. I will play with it at the range this weekend. I usually only rack the slide to chamber the round especially since i am left handed. I am just curious as to why it wont release with the factory mag but works fine with the mccormick mags. My only guess is because it is new and really tight.

with the mccormick mags the slide release works with very little effort when I pull the slide and depress the slide release. thanks for looking into this appreciate it.

For 1911, it is not really a slide release, it is more of a slide stop. If your mag is loaded, just pull back to release the slide. If the mag is empty, pull back on the slide and press the slide stop at the same time, but don't slingshot the slide on any 1911.

TAS
09-12-2012, 1:11 PM
I have the same gun (in 10mm) and don't see the problem on mine. With an empty mag, the slide will lock back but I don't have an issue with depressing the slide lock and letting the slide move forward - no force needed. I realize this isn't an answer to your issue, just providing a comparison.

dc2integra
09-12-2012, 2:34 PM
Very nice kimber.

LovingTheYear1911
09-12-2012, 2:35 PM
Beautiful gun. I am jealous.

stormvet
09-12-2012, 2:55 PM
That is normal, once you load the mag it will release with little pressure. When the mag is empty you are in a since pushing down on the mag spring, your spring is new and tight. Once you load it the rounds will apply the pressure to the spring.

INFAMOUS762X39
09-12-2012, 3:09 PM
My first 1911 is a Kimber TLE, I love it. That eclipse looks too fresh!

I have two CMC Power Mags as well, I do not need to slam the magazine but I do tap them to make it seat correctly. Although I am forming a habit of keeping the magazine release press down as I insert a new Magazine in, that's just me.

They just need to be worn in, it's just how they built. Great Quality Mags nonetheless.

Greez82
09-12-2012, 4:02 PM
Thanks for all the compliments and input! I am really stoked on this gun. I did a google search on my issue and it looks like it may just be a tight fit and need to be broken in. I guess the mag spring could be too stiff and that is why I can't depress the slide release. Im gonna load the Mag let it sit and see if things loosen up. I also plan to put a few hundred rounds down the pipe this weekend.

On a separate note I have been looking into frog lube. I know there are a million posts on the stuff but I think im gonna try it out exclusively on my eclipse. Has anyone had any bad experience or heard and bad news on fl. I hope it works so I can put it on my m&p ar and pistol

hundreddollarman
09-12-2012, 7:40 PM
Gorgeous gun. Congrats on the acquisition. You're going to have to let us know how it shoots!

jfa25
09-12-2012, 9:44 PM
Congrats on your beauty, have one myself. I run Wilson Combat 47Ds and MecGar mags without any issues

JTROKS
09-12-2012, 11:42 PM

It's the follower and mag combination that makes it hard to activate the slide stop to send the slide into battery position when that empty mag is still seated. Usually with formed metal follower with the front tab tilted up resting on the front portion of the mag. I've seen it happened with plastic followers too.

Try not to slam that slide home on an empty chamber to often for you'll be inducing unnecessary wear to your gun. The hard activation of the slide stop with the mentioned magazine is not a problem. They are working just fine as long as they eject out with the push of the mag release. Just a safety advice: When you are shooting any semi auto pistol you shouldn't rely on the slide locking to signal an empty mag. If you do and you send the slide home with the mag still in the pistol it might spell disaster if the trigger is pulled.

DArBad
09-13-2012, 10:40 AM
Really nice Kimber. It just exudes quality.

Greez82
09-13-2012, 2:03 PM
I went ahead and decided to try out frog lube on her last night. I am a little nervous about having enough lubrication. I fied stripped and heated up everthing before applying.

I am thinking maybe i should do another round before I take it to the range.

I did not completely dissamble just a basic field strip. do i need to dissasemble the firing pin ect? to apply FL

DArBad
09-13-2012, 2:10 PM
I went ahead and decided to try out frog lube on her last night. I am a little nervous about having enough lubrication. I fied stripped and heated up everthing before applying.

I am thinking maybe i should do another round before I take it to the range.

I did not completely dissamble just a basic field strip. do i need to dissasemble the firing pin ect? to apply FL

No need. Just fire away that beauty.

ChrisZ
09-14-2012, 10:50 AM
That is one nice looking Kimber. One of these days, I'm gonna get one to replace my RIA.

Frog lube is awesome too. I still need to try mine