PDA

View Full Version : Hangun registration questions

Nickaru
09-11-2012, 9:30 PM
Curious Questions that have come up in conversations.

1.How was it 20 plus years ago to purchase a handgun from a friend and not register or transfer it. I don't recall anyone ever saying back then that you had to take it to an FFL dealer to transfer it.

2. How would that serial number show up today?

3. If a handgun was purchased with a California FFL dealer from an out of state FFL dealer and then the FFL license was retired and the hangun transferred to the dealers personal collection, how does that show up if the serial number is checked?

I'm sure I have more, I just can't think of them at this time.
Thanks for your time.

Librarian
09-11-2012, 11:18 PM

1.How was it 20 plus years ago to purchase a handgun from a friend and not register or transfer it. I don't recall anyone ever saying back then that you had to take it to an FFL dealer to transfer it.

3. If a handgun was purchased with a California FFL dealer from an out of state FFL dealer and then the FFL license was retired and the hangun transferred to the dealers personal collection, how does that show up if the serial number is checked?

Thanks for your time.

1) Transfer through an FFL began to be required in 1991.

2) if that didn't happen, and the gun was not otherwise registered, State would have no record, and that's OK.

3) I believe that in that case, the CA FFL was required to file handgun DROS with the state; that's been required for CA FFLs since 1924 for other transactions.

Nickaru
09-17-2012, 10:00 PM
Thank you Librarian for the answers.

cannon
09-18-2012, 7:53 AM

Thanks for your time.

It was great. You could cash and carry from a friend or at a gunshow.