PDA

View Full Version : I swore I'd never do it....but I bought a Glock.

Mossy Man
09-11-2012, 6:01 PM
Have been looking for a concealable 9mm, and have been looking at M&P9cs, SR9cs, and G19s.

I went to my LGS today, and they had agency trade ins for $399 with night sights.

The one I got looked almost brand new. Had no marks and no LEO engravings.

Came with 1 mag only.

Which was the bad extractor part#? I didn't get a chance to break it down and read it.....

Anyway, I feel dirty now.

Hopefully I won't become a Glock fanboy now.

Brandon04GT
09-11-2012, 6:05 PM
haha why does everyone "swear to never do it" or "never thought they'd do it" and then buys a Glock?

Mossy Man
09-11-2012, 6:08 PM
haha why does everyone "swear to never do it" or "never thought they'd do it" and then buys a Glock?

Because nobody wants to jump on the bandwagon.

For me, it was because it has the proven record and affordable, and it fits IWB very easily compared to my other pistols.

tbhracing
09-11-2012, 6:09 PM
Did you get a 19 or 26?

chozenfew805
09-11-2012, 6:09 PM
For me, it's the same reason I'm not giving into the whole iPhone craze, to go against the grain :43: but every time I walk into my LGS there's a G19 & G22 GEN 4 whispering "You know you want me!"

gumby
09-11-2012, 6:10 PM
That's alright, I bought 2 and never fired them. A g23 and g30sf both went to a good home, I will keep my Beretta 96 Elite and Sig sp2022!

Mossy Man
09-11-2012, 6:12 PM
Did you get a 19 or 26?

19, i'm 6'1 and 240 lbs so i figure i can conceal that pretty easily

Tango_Whiskey
I always considered the Glock to be a "Gang Banger" gun and I swore I would never buy one. Now I have 4 of them.

Shapes And Colors

For me, it was because it has the proven record and affordable, and it fits IWB very easily compared to my other pistols.

I thought jumping on a bandwagon was about buying something because it was popular/cool regardless of if it worked well? I point this out because I see this word posted all the time here and it's always about buying a good, proven firearm that fits the bill. Not sure that word really applies.

Congrats on the new pistol, it'll serve you well. :D

G-Man WC
Your a fanboy now ;) j/k
I've never fired one. I want to take one for a test drive
and see if it fits. -g

Mossy Man
09-11-2012, 6:14 PM
Your a fanboy now ;) j/k
I've never fired one. I want to take one for a test drive
and see if it fits. -g

shot my cousin's Gen 2 a few weeks back. It did give me some slide bite, but after going back out again and shooting it i figured it out.

I've only shot 1911s, Rugers, and M&Ps before.

I actually kind of like the simplicity of it now :o

scootle
09-11-2012, 6:22 PM
i am a huge fan of the M&P series (have both a 9mm FS and a C), and typically run them more often than anything else other than my Ruger Mk III... but i was suckered by the EXO finish on a G19 one day... and at this point i also have a G23 EXO (unfired) in the safe too... oops! :)

DVSmith
09-11-2012, 6:24 PM
Welcome to the dark side!! LOL

I love ALL of mine!

savannah
09-11-2012, 6:25 PM
Have been looking for a concealable 9mm, and have been looking at M&P9cs, SR9cs, and G19s.

I went to my LGS today, and they had agency trade ins for $399 with night sights.

Came with 1 mag only.

Which was the bad extractor part#? I didn't get a chance to break it down and read it.....

Welcome to the club! I am not big enough to hide it, but I can shoot it!

HK Chef
09-11-2012, 6:26 PM
I'm not a big fan. Just not the right feel for my big a** hands

jpm804
09-11-2012, 6:29 PM
Nice ... for $399 with Night sites. I think thats a pretty good deal for a good condition glock...

Love my G19, but I ended up putting a hogue grip sleeve on it and for me it made it more comfortable and pearce mag extension for extra pinky room.

INFAMOUS762X39
09-11-2012, 6:32 PM
I actually kind of like the simplicity of it now :o

You got it exactly! That's the whole Point in Glocks. Glad you figured that out early.

I was the same way a Month ago, Finally gave in and bought a glock 19 before even shooting it. I am about 400 Rounds in, So far I am liking it.

Two of my buddies bought a XD9 and a M&P9, fondle with both at my own convience and I am glad I bought the Glock. Suits me pretty well.

CK_32
09-11-2012, 6:35 PM
Once you go Glock.....

InGrAM
09-11-2012, 6:53 PM
Nice choice. Everyone should have at least one Glock in their collection.

MrExel17
09-11-2012, 7:01 PM
Glocks are bada** love mine! Congrats

Mossy Man
09-11-2012, 7:04 PM
Only 10 more days

bsg
09-11-2012, 7:07 PM
congrats on your G19.

hyeg35
09-11-2012, 7:11 PM
welcome to the club. i have 3 and plan on adding many more!

Kodemonkey
09-11-2012, 7:13 PM
Yeah, I've got a collection of guns but I do like the Glocks.

What I REALLY want is a S&W M&P ergos with a Glock internal system and trigger feel. I've done the Apex kits and they are good, but the Glock triggers are just so positive with their reset.

I am closely approaching to replacing my H&K USP with a Glock 35 as the bedside gun. Mainly because my IDPA guns I do best with are the Glock 35 and 23, and I figure even though it is a game it's what I am starting to get comfortable with.

They aren't sexy, but they work. I just wish they were made here, and that's why I want an M&P that feels like an M&P but is internally a Glock.

kentactic
09-11-2012, 7:15 PM
No clue why people get attached to specific make and models and then talk crap on everything they dont own... Ill shoot the hell out of a 1911 if i have to.

Capybara
09-11-2012, 7:16 PM
I still have not bought one but got to shoot a 17 in my handgun class and I liked it MUCH more than I thought I would. When I held them at the gun store, they just felt lousy in my hand (grip angle), but on the range when I loaded it up and shot one, loved it.

I am lusting after a 34 or possibly a 17. If I am ever lucky enough to be granted an LTC, I will probably get a 19.

Tupperware guns are fun!

Kodemonkey
09-11-2012, 7:18 PM
19, i'm 6'1 and 240 lbs so i figure i can conceal that pretty easily

19 is very concealable. I REALLY like the bladetech eclipse holder for the glock 23. The way it cants it is really concealable and I like the positive retension. I demoed one to a friend and he bought one as well. I got a paddle holster and I can carry it with cargo shorts and no one ever notices. I'm a little taller (6'3) but with a t-shirt it doesn't print and it is comfortable to wear even when sitting on the couch.

10rounds
09-11-2012, 7:25 PM
Resistance is futile!

skosh69
09-11-2012, 7:43 PM
Sorry to hear you caved.....

Calm down fanboys, I'm only kidding. If you're happy with your purchase, that's all that matters!

Whatisthis?
09-11-2012, 8:04 PM
I never understood why people are so against Glocks. People will choose what they want, but if some won't even try a Glock, they aren't keeping an open mind... and "grip angle" is a bull**** excuse. If you don't like Glocks, then you don't and I or no one should force it upon you... but don't bull**** it by saying it's the grip angle.

InGrAM
09-11-2012, 8:41 PM
I never understood why people are so against Glocks. People will choose what they want, but if some won't even try a Glock, they aren't keeping an open mind... and "grip angle" is a bull**** excuse. If you don't like Glocks, then you don't and I or no one should force it upon you... but don't bull**** it by saying it's the grip angle.

I think it has less to do with the actual gun itself and more to do with glock "fanboys" and how they don't think that their **** stinks. Which it clearly does....

Also, what you said about the "grip angle" being a "bull**** excuse" is ignorant. How is someones personal preference "bull****?" Aesthetics and ergonomics are very personal just like with anything else, Cars, bikes, beds, clothes, hats, belts, etc.... You can't make a blanket statement saying that people's personal opinions are BS, that makes you sound biased and unwilling to keep an open mind to those that don't find the glock's ergonomics appealing. No offense, but why should someone force themselves to shoot a gun that is not ergonomically pleasing to them self when their are plenty of other firearms that are just as good?

sharxbyte
09-11-2012, 8:41 PM
it'll probably be my first :)

Buddhabelly
09-11-2012, 8:47 PM
You're 6'1 240, you don't need no stinkin Glock.

Mossy Man
09-11-2012, 8:47 PM
You're 6'1 240, you don't need no stinkin Glock.

it's all twinkies and hostess pies :o

triggs75
09-11-2012, 10:40 PM
Tried them and didn't like them, Just not my cup of tea. All that matters is if you like them congrats on your purchase.

Chad

gumby
09-11-2012, 10:46 PM
I think it has less to do with the actual gun itself and more to do with glock "fanboys" and how they don't think that their **** stinks. Which it clearly does....

Also, what you said about the "grip angle" being a "bull**** excuse" is ignorant. How is someones personal preference "bull****?" Aesthetics and ergonomics are very personal just like with anything else, Cars, bikes, beds, clothes, hats, belts, etc.... You can't make a blanket statement saying that people's personal opinions are BS, that makes you sound biased and unwilling to keep an open mind to those that don't find the glock's ergonomics appealing. No offense, but why should someone force themselves to shoot a gun that is not ergonomically pleasing to them self when their are plenty of other firearms that are just as good?

+1 different strokes for different folks

wilit
09-11-2012, 10:54 PM
I know how you feel. I really don't like Glocks. I think they're ugly. I don't like the trigger. The other day I found myself fondling a G34. WTF?

SacTown
09-11-2012, 11:01 PM
OP where did you score that 19? SBR or RCGE?

Lumpia is sarap!
09-11-2012, 11:22 PM
Thou shall not doubt Glock again!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/DSCN3358.jpg

1911Operator
09-11-2012, 11:28 PM
I remember when I used to make my life hard... then I got a glock :p

just like alot of guns out there, glocks are great guns. And they tend to make life easier sometimes

VNGHOST
09-11-2012, 11:32 PM
glocks are like iphones, they dominate the market, are simple and reliable. my brother started out with a 1911 and a sig sauer and refused to touch a glock. now he has 3 glocks and the other 2 guns are his safe queens. i started out with a glock, went through many different other guns, and the only thing i have left is an hk 40 and a glock 21sf i bought from a fellow calgunner which i cant stop talking about. people say this and people say that but just know what your holding in your hand when its time for war.

try a glock 30. you'll love it. im considering putting up my hk usp 40 compact up for trade for a glock 30 since i miss my old one so much.

becxltoo984
09-11-2012, 11:33 PM
Thou shall not doubt Glock again!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/DSCN3358.jpg

What flavors do you have there ? I dig those green frames ! :43:

Mr.1904
09-11-2012, 11:35 PM

Whoa bro.

Bad day?

Congrats on your purchase OP. You'll definitely enjoy it. Do do you have to wait the terrible 10 days?

Whatisthis?
09-12-2012, 12:26 AM
Whoa bro.

Bad day?

Congrats on your purchase OP. You'll definitely enjoy it. Do do you have to wait the terrible 10 days?

My post came off bad too anyways. I wrote it when I was pissed off. What I meant to say is that most people just say they don't like the grip angle of the Glock and they never give it a fair chance. My hands are sort of small for a Sig, so ergonomically, a Glock is far superior to me... but I still got my Sig. Hell, I even have my Sig on me right now.

If you are only going to get one gun, sure, make sure you shoot it great and it feels great... but let's face it, very few of us will only be getting one gun (Most already have more than one).

Part of this to me is I don't like excuses... no different than a stock M&P trigger. The only actual problem is a lack of a clear reset, but the trigger pull is perfectly fine itself, yet I hear everyone with a M&P should purchase APEX kits.

I like to be able to pick up any handgun and apply the fundamentals and not just say, "Oh, no. A Glock with that weird grip. I don't want to do that."

At the end of the day, to each their own. We are all gonna buy what we want, good, bad, or otherwise.

InGrAM
09-12-2012, 12:52 AM
My post came off bad too anyways. I wrote it when I was pissed off. What I meant to say is that most people just say they don't like the grip angle of the Glock and they never give it a fair chance. My hands are sort of small for a Sig, so ergonomically, a Glock is far superior to me... but I still got my Sig. Hell, I even have my Sig on me right now.

If you are only going to get one gun, sure, make sure you shoot it great and it feels great... but let's face it, very few of us will only be getting one gun (Most already have more than one).

Part of this to me is I don't like excuses... no different than a stock M&P trigger. The only actual problem is a lack of a clear reset, but the trigger pull is perfectly fine itself, yet I hear everyone with a M&P should purchase APEX kits.

I like to be able to pick up any handgun and apply the fundamentals and not just say, "Oh, no. A Glock with that weird grip. I don't want to do that."

At the end of the day, to each their own. We are all gonna buy what we want, good, bad, or otherwise.

I agree with just about everything you posted here. Some people just like to hate or show dislike for what they don't understand and what they have not experimented with. Sometimes they think they are being unique by not liking a certain firearm, I get that. The list goes on and on. It does get annoying and I understand where you are coming from completely with that.

I like my Gen 2 g19 a lot and I think that every firearms enthusiast should own at least one glock, even if they don't like the firearm much. It has had as much an impact on the handgun world as the 1911 did 101 years ago, IMHO.

And I apologizes for coming off as such an ******* in my earlier post.

Mossy Man
09-12-2012, 2:32 AM
OP where did you score that 19? SBR or RCGE?

Rcge

air0n'03
09-12-2012, 2:58 AM
At first I thought the glock's grip felt off, then I shot my friends G19. The thumbs forward grip works so much better on the glock than my xd (I still love my xd though). My support hand really gets contact with the entire frame and I was able to control the gun more efficiently. I'll probably end up buying a G17 in the future... after I buy an m&p9 :)

23 Blast
09-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Little known fact: George Orwell changed the line in Animal Farm to "Four Legs good, two legs bad" after "Glocks are good, Sigs are baaaad!" was deemed to inflammatory to Glockophile Nation. :D

J/K - Glocks are good guns, no doubt, but they're not the pinnacle of handgun development like the fanboys would have you believe. I shied away from Glocks myself because I found their grip to be too blocky, and yes, the angle was weird for me since I had first learned to shoot handguns with a CZ-75b. So, I got used to the CZ's all-steel frame and grip ergos, and when I went to rent my first Glock (a G17), I wasn't impressed. I had to consciously point the gun at the target since the grip angle was noticeably different from what I was used to, and the snappier recoil of a 25~ ounce Glock versus a 40+ ounce CZ was off-putting.

Then, as I gained more experience with handguns in general and got more proficient shooting different platforms, I gave Glock another shot and rented a G19. I was sufficiently impressed that I went to the LGS the following day and purchased one. Sadly I wound up selling that great little G19, but I wound up replacing it with one I think is better, and just a great all-around package of a handgun - a Glock 30sf. :43: What could be better than a gun that weighs only a little more than a G19, is just as concealable, is as accurate as many 1911's, and carries 10+1 rounds of big ol' .45ACP?

teflondog
09-12-2012, 3:18 PM
I once swore I would never own a Glock. It's wasn't because I didn't like them, but because I really disliked the Glock fanboys and didn't want to be part of that club. Eventually I bought a couple of them. I like them for their practicality and low maintenance, but I'm not in love with them.

Wheelinarcher
09-12-2012, 3:22 PM

Came with 1 mag only.

I did the same thing and now I am a fan! I never thought that I would own a Glock or a 9mm and now I have both! I own many brands of guns and frankly enjoy shooting all of them but I have put over 2000 rounds through my G34 without failure. It is fun to shoot, work on and inexpensive. Plus, the company really supports the shooting sport...GSSF.
Welcome to the Dark Side!!!

Charlie50
09-12-2012, 3:52 PM
I have been successfully avoided drinking the Glock Cool Aid... came close to caving about a month ago on a used baby glock for ccw. Fortunately handled it felt like a brick in my hand and with double stack width stack mag it is a stubby, short, fat boy. Good tools, I just don't feel the love. Really liked the feel of a Springfield Armory EMP in 9mm.

Shenaniguns
09-12-2012, 4:01 PM

So you think your reason is any different? The fact you went out of your way to avoid a bandwagon is plain silly.

dem0critus
09-12-2012, 4:12 PM
Nothing wrong with glocks, just not really on the top of my list. If I get a glock it'll be the 19 or maybe the 34. Nice score op!

BradleyAbrams
09-12-2012, 4:15 PM
My wife has a Gen2 - G 19...

The G 19 is nice; but I much prefer my Browning Hi Power.

-

m98
09-12-2012, 4:31 PM
Its no big deal unless you plan on falling into the fanboi class and worrship it as it was created by god. I myself likes glocks too but Friggn hate the Fanboys to death.

Mossy Man
09-12-2012, 4:37 PM
So you think your reason is any different? The fact you went out of your way to avoid a bandwagon is plain silly.

Well obviously I agree with you because I did end up buying it.

Thank you for all of your guidance.

bubbagump
09-12-2012, 4:40 PM
Back in the day, I used to talk mad **** about Glocks.

Then, one day, out of nowhere, I wanted one.

They are great pistols.

J.D.Allen
09-12-2012, 4:45 PM
I think Glocks are proven and very reliable pistols and I would never tell anyone not to buy one. However it is not the end all be all pistol that the fanboys think it is.

Me personally? I prefer the heft of an all steel pistol. I prefer a manual safety. I prefer a SA trigger. I don't like Glock triggers and I'm sorry, but that grip feels like a big lego brick to me. And no I don't like the grip angle. I could shoot it accurately if I had to but I prefer something else because it's not comfortable to me. I also don't like the fact that there is NOTHING to protect the web of your hand from the slide. I would have no problem going to "battle" with a Glock but if given my choice I would choose something else.

Also, Glocks are NOT the only reliable pistols out there. The fanboys would have you think that if it's not a Glock it's going to fall apart as soon as you pull the trigger. I'm sorry fanboys but Glocks have had their issues too. (Gen 4 extractors, G22 KB etc... and they don't call it "Glock leg" for nothing.) And many other pistols out there are just as reliable.

Anyway, to the OP; congrats on the purchase. I'm sure you'll love it.

Shenaniguns
09-12-2012, 5:57 PM
Why anyone would prefer to carry a much heavier gun with less capacity baffles me.

Mossy Man
09-12-2012, 6:02 PM
Why anyone would prefer to carry a much heavier gun with less capacity baffles me.

i wanted the 19 because it can be concealed as well as be a regular gun to shoot for fun

the 26 is a little too small for me to use for anything but carry

Shenaniguns
09-12-2012, 6:05 PM
i wanted the 19 because it can be concealed as well as be a regular gun to shoot for fun

I meant to the guy above my post who prefers the heft, I am sure the majority guys who do lug 1911's would like them to weigh less if possible.

tal3nt
09-12-2012, 6:17 PM
I never understood the whole fanboy stuff. Why would you steer away from a product that everyone loves? But then again, why would you think the one and only gun you own (GLOCK) is the best handgun there is? And why does everyone get so butthurt over all this?

Humans..

I like Glocks.

JMP
09-12-2012, 6:18 PM
Glock leaves a lot to be desired on the fit and finish, but I believe they are very effective guns.

ELIXIR
09-12-2012, 6:22 PM
I said the same thing also. I hated on Glocks, until I came across the G19 OD Green. I bought it and like it fairly well.

VAReact
09-12-2012, 8:43 PM
try a glock 30. you'll love it. im considering putting up my hk usp 40 compact up for trade for a glock 30 since i miss my old one so much.

+1...love it!

Dragon
09-12-2012, 9:25 PM
Im still holding out :43: The only way I'll own a Glock is if its next to new condition for $300 or less ,but it has to be legal of course,or its free.

It looks like Im not getting one .

Oceanbob
09-12-2012, 9:32 PM
Glock leaves a lot to be desired on the fit and finish, but I believe they are very effective guns.

Yes..they are effective. They run 100%. That alone is worth my money.

fullspeed1
09-12-2012, 9:37 PM
Its no big deal unless you plan on falling into the fanboi class and worrship it as it was created by god. I myself likes glocks too but Friggn hate the Fanboys to death.

So much anger;)

fullspeed1
09-12-2012, 9:40 PM

Ummm, It's a $500 polymer handgun. It ain't no Les Baer....

fullspeed1
09-12-2012, 9:46 PM
Yes..they are effective. They run 100%. That alone is worth my money.

bob, of the majority of people on this forum, your opinion is highly respected in my book. Glocks are worth every penny spent. I've said it time and time again, The majority of instructors from various training companies all across the U.S. use Glocks. IMO that speaks volumes.

tbc
09-12-2012, 9:56 PM
I don't use grip angle as an excuse anymore. It's BTF now :p

Blademan21
09-12-2012, 10:21 PM
[QUOTE=Mossy Man;9308992]Have been looking for a concealable 9mm, and have been looking at M&P9cs, SR9cs, and G19s.

If its a Gen3 or earlier you should be GTO as far as the extractor.

Fishslayer
09-12-2012, 10:26 PM

Ummmm.... not "everybody.":rolleyes:

The pull of The Dark Side can be strong... I myself have considered an Austrian 10mm.

phrogg111
09-13-2012, 12:25 AM

You do not have to be unique to own a gun. In fact, if you've got a production gun, I can tell you right now - you're not being unique or original.

Also, in most cases with guns, the band wagon is there because it's effective.

Anyway, I love my Glock 17c. It's like the AK-47 of handguns - accuracy is not the best but is definitely good enough, cheap, very controllable, and VERY reliable.

Also love my USP .45. It is, hands down, a better gun than the Glock - way more accurate. Also, I hear they're good for more than 297,000 rounds if you change the springs out now and again - Federal ammo had one with more than that through it.

Being a "fanboy"? That's dumb. Appreciate things for what they are, not how much you like them.

Want to be unique? Build your own gun. It's legal, and easier than you might think, if you do it all right. :D

Dhena81
09-13-2012, 1:05 AM
Good choice OP

John Mosses Browning was the first prophet and some guy that made dishwashers was the second.

evolution1974
09-13-2012, 3:50 AM
shot my cousin's Gen 2 a few weeks back. It did give me some slide bite, but after going back out again and shooting it i figured it out.

I also don't like the fact that there is NOTHING to protect the web of your hand from the slide.

I would get slide bite from my Glock 19 so I purchased a Grip Force Adapter from eBay and it works well for me. Some people don't like the ribs so they came up with a smooth non-ribbed version. Hope this helps.

http://gripforceproducts.com/

Here is a pic of my Gen 3 Glock 19 with the ribbed GFA.

http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz6/evolution1974/Glock%2019%20Gen%203/1334614220.jpg

TATER313
09-13-2012, 8:07 AM
G27 impressed me so much now I own 3 glocks, G27, G21, and G35.

CK_32
09-13-2012, 8:28 AM
And just think about it OP. if you don't like it or want something else..

Ever member here will glady take that off your hands ;)

Lumpia is sarap!
09-13-2012, 8:46 AM
What flavors do you have there ? I dig those green frames ! :43:

A couple of .40s (35, 23, 27-ODs), 21SF, 31 and a 17Gen4.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/DSCN3357.jpg

J.D.Allen
09-13-2012, 10:15 AM

Why would you assume I'm talking about a 1911. There are quite a few pistols that meet the preferences I stated that have the same capacity as a Glock, or close to it.

And as to the weight, I like heavier guns because they soak up recoil for faster follow up shots. Some of those smaller model Glocks, especially the ones chambered in .40, kick like friggin mules. My EDC weighs over two pounds and the weight has never bothered me before.

J.D.Allen
09-13-2012, 11:02 AM
Love them or hate them there here to stay, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

True that.

I met a guy at my local range the other day shooting a g17, he ask what I was shooting, I said a cz, he said what the hell is a cz?? I just smiled

I get that all the time. Most gun owners that aren't on forums all the time and don't shoot competitively have no idea what they are. It's cool but it kind of gets annoying explaining it over and over. ;)

Euphoria526
09-13-2012, 12:03 PM
I just hate ignorance/ fanboys who don't listen. I just hate sheep. Hahaha
And I've seen most of those traits with glockies (Trekkies for glocks). And people who don't know why it's a good gun other than 'itsa glock'
Crap, whenever I tell people I shoot the first thing outta there mouth is 'is it a glock' even if it was what do they know about them. Nothing. My point exactly.

Shenaniguns
09-13-2012, 12:06 PM
I just hate ignorance/ fanboys who don't listen. I just hate sheep. Hahaha
And I've seen most of those traits with glockies (Trekkies for glocks). And people who don't know why it's a good gun other than 'itsa glock'
Crap, whenever I tell people I shoot the first thing outta there mouth is 'is it a glock' even if it was what do they know about them. Nothing. My point exactly.

Sounds like you interact with some dumb people, or maybe you have an obvious emotional beef with Glock owners since you have what you do in your signature. :rolleyes:

DRAB_81
09-13-2012, 12:19 PM
Sounds like you interact with some dumb people, or maybe you have an obvious emotional beef with Glock owners since you have what you do in your signature. :rolleyes:

Don't feed the trolls brother. Life on Calguns is much more pleasant if you just put people like this on your IGNORE list. It took me WAAAAAY too long to figure this out...

Shenaniguns
09-13-2012, 12:23 PM
Don't feed the trolls brother. Life on Calguns is much more pleasant if you just put people like this on your IGNORE list. It took me WAAAAAY too long to figure this out...

That's too easy and boring :43:

Curtis
09-13-2012, 12:32 PM
Its the first gun I recommend when a new shooter asks what gun to buy. But I don't own any. I don't care for the feel....but I think they are a great gun at a great value.

Euphoria526
09-13-2012, 12:43 PM
No real beef other then those I've met and have had bad first impressions with individuals. Again it's just the people who join anything for the sake of its being other then real logical reasons. I just don't like the trigger, how they feel when firing, or the grip. That and I prefer cold hard steel.
Again no beef. Plus who am I to say anything on someone else's personal preference. That's why variety is awesome. We can all get what we shoot best with. And that's what matters most.

Mossy Man
09-13-2012, 12:49 PM
is the NY1/3.5# trigger/connector really worthwhile? is it inadvisable to alter the trigger system for a personal protection piece?

Mossy Man
09-13-2012, 12:51 PM
and are ss guide rods really any use? or just a gimmick

Shapes And Colors
09-13-2012, 12:54 PM
and are ss guide rods really any use? or just a gimmick

SS guide rods don't add any benefit to the gun, and there have been quite a few returned because they caused malfunctions on an otherwise functional piece. Save the money and dump it on ammo. :D

Shapes And Colors
09-13-2012, 12:56 PM
is the NY1/3.5# trigger/connector really worthwhile? is it inadvisable to alter the trigger system for a personal protection piece?

The NY1/3.5# connector combo gives a nice clean break and a very positive reset while keeping the trigger around it's stock weight. It's actually a pretty decent trigger setup. I'll defer the second question to someone else as I don't really have much info there.

Shenaniguns
09-13-2012, 12:57 PM

No...

J.D.Allen
09-13-2012, 4:13 PM
Its the first gun I recommend when a new shooter asks what gun to buy. But I don't own any. I don't care for the feel....but I think they are a great gun at a great value.

They are a great gun at a great value. But I'm not so sure recommending them to new shooters is a good idea. A 5.5 lb trigger pull with no external safety can be a dangerous thing to an inexperienced shooter...

J.D.Allen
09-13-2012, 4:14 PM
No...

Wait. No what? No it's not worthwhile, or no it's not inadvisable?

Shenaniguns
09-13-2012, 6:55 PM
Wait. No what? No it's not worthwhile, or no it's not inadvisable?

IMO no it's not worthwhile, he should try it stock before modifying the trigger into a revolverish setup.

Shenaniguns
09-13-2012, 6:57 PM
They are a great gun at a great value. But I'm not so sure recommending them to new shooters is a good idea. A 5.5 lb trigger pull with no external safety can be a dangerous thing to an inexperienced shooter...

Safeties do not make a firearm any safer to an inexperienced shooter, nor do "unloaded" firearms.

hnoppenberger
09-13-2012, 7:00 PM
putting a bible on them glocks is blasphemy, and i am deeply offended. Only our beloved brother John's creation (gifted to his hands by God) should be there.

DRAB_81
09-13-2012, 7:44 PM

So then it's an equally bad idea to recommend a DA revolver to a new shooter?

I think it's actually a pro for the Glock. Since it has no manual safety, the new shooter should be paying even more attention to firearm safety. The first thing I learned about firearm safety (at age 6), was to keep my finger off the trigger until I'm ready to fire. Now it does get a little muddy while shooting drills from the holster, but a new shooter should have the fundamentals down long before that. That being said, it's still quite possible for experienced shooters to get "Glock Leg" from their super safe 1911's. It's not often the gun's fault. Just ask this guy...

zYvAxLX6OzE&feature

InGrAM
09-14-2012, 12:36 AM
I meant to the guy above my post who prefers the heft, I am sure the majority guys who do lug 1911's would like them to weigh less if possible.

You do realize that their are plenty of 1911's that are made out of aluminum and that they come in different sizes....

Shenaniguns
09-14-2012, 5:28 AM
You do realize that their are plenty of 1911's that are made out of aluminum and that they come in different sizes....

I'm well versed in 1911's and it doesn't change what I said as those are incremental differences in weight yet change the reliability negatively.

J.D.Allen
09-14-2012, 10:12 AM
Safeties do not make a firearm any safer to an inexperienced shooter, nor do "unloaded" firearms.

Perhaps not, In my personal opinion the best type of pistol for a new shooter to learn with is a DA/SA with a nice long and heavy first pull. Not the best for teaching accuracy, but safety comes first.

Shenaniguns
09-14-2012, 10:19 AM
Perhaps not, In my personal opinion the best type of pistol for a new shooter to learn with is a DA/SA with a nice long and heavy first pull. Not the best for teaching accuracy, but safety comes first.

That is your opinion, I disagree.

J.D.Allen
09-14-2012, 10:29 AM
So then it's an equally bad idea to recommend a DA revolver to a new shooter?

I am unaware of any DA revolver that has a trigger pull weight of anywhere close to 5.5 lbs...

I think it's actually a pro for the Glock. Since it has no manual safety, the new shooter should be paying even more attention to firearm safety. The first thing I learned about firearm safety (at age 6), was to keep my finger off the trigger until I'm ready to fire. Now it does get a little muddy while shooting drills from the holster, but a new shooter should have the fundamentals down long before that. That being said, it's still quite possible for experienced shooters to get "Glock Leg" from their super safe 1911's. It's not often the gun's fault.

Yes, yes, yes...we all know about safety rule number 3. It's not the trigger pull, or lack of a manual safety by itself that is the problem. IMO it is the COMBINATION of those two things together that can present the problem with new shooters. And yes, people do shoot themselves with all different types of guns. But it happens more often with Glocks. And there is a reason for that.

I'm not saying they are dangerous or that no one should have one, just that they MAY not be the best for a new shooter to start out with until they consistently show they can keep their booger hook off the bang switch. If you want to start a new shooter off with a gun with no manual safety, I think a DA revolver, or an auto with a long heavy trigger pull would be the safest option.

Shenaniguns
09-14-2012, 10:40 AM
I am unaware of any DA revolver that has a trigger pull weight of anywhere close to 5.5 lbs...

Yes, yes, yes...we all know about safety rule number 3. It's not the trigger pull, or lack of a manual safety by itself that is the problem. IMO it is the COMBINATION of those two things together that can present the problem with new shooters. And yes, people do shoot themselves with all different types of guns. But it happens more often with Glocks. And there is a reason for that.

I'm not saying they are dangerous or that no one should have one, just that they MAY not be the best for a new shooter to start out with until they consistently show they can keep their booger hook off the bang switch. If you want to start a new shooter off with a gun with no manual safety, I think a DA revolver, or an auto with a long heavy trigger pull would be the safest option.

There is a reason and it's not related to the firearm, it's the total ignorance of these 4 basic rules.

The Four Rules of Firearm Safety

Rule One -
All guns are always loaded.
Rule Two -
Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
Rule Three -
Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target.
Rule Four -
Be sure of your target. Know what it is, what is in line with it, and what is behind it. Never shoot anything you have not positively identified.

*Follow all four rules at all times and accidents will never happen.

Are we done going off-topic yet?

hcbr
09-14-2012, 11:39 AM
welcome to the Glock side :D

b.faust
09-14-2012, 11:39 AM
I recentlly became a Glock owner myself. For some reason I had a bug and got a Glock 22 Gen 4 (did the SSE route)

I put a skimmer trigger in, sevigny sights, extended slide release and a grip force adapter on it before I even took it out for it's first shoot.

Say what you want about the skimmer trigger being overhyped, but currently that glock is second only to my tricked out 1911 as far as my favorite gun to shoot. In fact it's the only pistol I've taken out to the range in the last few months. The poor HK and Sigs are gathering dust.

Previously I was neutral towards glocks, didn't feel one way or another. Now I'm in love.

B.

stormvet
09-14-2012, 1:44 PM
I'm well versed in 1911's and it doesn't change what I said as those are incremental differences in weight yet change the reliability negatively.
I know what you mean and to a point agree with you. But as a blanket statement it is not true. There are far more reliable 3" to 4" 1911 out there then unreliable ones. I own one of each and from the moment they came out of the box they have been just as reliable as my Glocks.
I believe the concept is true with any gun that has been changed from its original size to a compact, Glocks included.

1000stars
09-14-2012, 1:52 PM
Glocks are reliable, simple to use/disassemble, rugged and inexpensive.

Shenaniguns
09-14-2012, 2:05 PM
I know what you mean and to a point agree with you. But as a blanket statement it is not true. There are far more reliable 3" to 4" 1911 out there then unreliable ones. I own one of each and from the moment they came out of the box they have been just as reliable as my Glocks.
I believe the concept is true with any gun that has been changed from its original size to a compact, Glocks included.

I disagree.

stormvet
09-14-2012, 2:25 PM

Exactly the reason my 4" alloy 1911 is on my side at this moment and not my 23 or 27. The weight difference is minimal put the profile is huge for my preferred method of carry IWB. The slimness of the 1911 make it the most comfortable gun made for IWB carry.

nothinghere2c
09-14-2012, 2:26 PM
glocks are simple. Easy to clean, easy to shoot with no safeties to remember to use. And I don't feel like I need to baby it. Hell, its not a work of art, its a true tool.

InGrAM
09-14-2012, 2:51 PM

Very true, the more the 1911 differs from the original 5" design the more finiky it becomes but that doesn't mean that all officers and commander length 1911's are unreliable.

Making such a blanket statement makes you ignorant ;)

InGrAM
09-14-2012, 3:01 PM
Exactly the reason my 4" alloy 1911 is on my side at this moment and not my 23 or 27. The weight difference is minimal put the profile is huge for my preferred method of carry IWB. The slimness of the 1911 make it the most comfortable gun made for IWB carry.

Exactly. It just shows peoples ignorance when they make blanket statements about a firearm that they clearly know nothing about. Some people should just keep watching their James Yeager youtube videos and keep 1911 out of their posts.

DRAB_81
09-14-2012, 3:06 PM
Exactly. It just shows peoples ignorance when they make blanket statements about a firearm that they clearly know nothing about. Some people should just keep watching their James Yeager youtube videos and keep 1911 out of their posts.

I respect your experience & opinion, but Shenaniguns already stated he's well versed in 1911's. I think he has every right to his opinion through his own personal experiences. All that aside, this is a Glock thread is it not? Maybe people should keep their 1911 posts out of Glock threads...

Shenaniguns
09-14-2012, 3:11 PM
Very true, the more the 1911 differs from the original 5" design the more finiky it becomes but that doesn't mean that all officers and commander length 1911's are unreliable.

Making such a blanket statement makes you ignorant ;)

Maybe all are not unreliable, but it is less reliable of the original design when both are made equally. That's just how it is with the 1911 design.

Shenaniguns
09-14-2012, 3:14 PM
I respect your experience & opinion, but Shenaniguns already stated he's well versed in 1911's. I think he has every right to his opinion through his own personal experiences. All that aside, this is a Glock thread is it not? Maybe people should keep their 1911 posts out of Glock threads...

He lost circulation to his brain from the weight of his 1911 around his waist :43:

InGrAM
09-14-2012, 3:14 PM

Very true.

InGrAM
09-14-2012, 3:15 PM
He lost circulation to his brain from the weight of his 1911 around his waist :43:

:D Got me there. Everyone knows a mans brain is located in his pants.

TripleThreat
09-14-2012, 3:20 PM
I carry a Glock myself. They're great light-weight duty or combat weapons, capable of anything a Police Officer or Solder could throw at them. But they are not what I call a "fine" weapon, by that I mean as in pretty or engineered to be something they are not, like a match grade 1911.

If you were to look at well crafted handguns like the Python, BHP, CZ, Sig etc., those tend to be in the class of a finer weapon.

They have there purpose and I'm glad they're an option.

Triple

Mossy Man
09-14-2012, 3:21 PM
Went to go check it out again today. Has the 336 ejector. Is that good or bad?

Shenaniguns
09-14-2012, 3:22 PM
:D Got me there. Everyone knows a mans brain is located in his pants.

Haha :D

Shenaniguns
09-14-2012, 3:23 PM

Just shoot it and quit being a worrywart.

Mossy Man
09-14-2012, 3:25 PM
Okay. But I still have to wait 7 days.

DRAB_81
09-14-2012, 3:25 PM
Very true.

I'm glad we can agree on that. It just seems like everytime a Glock thread is opened, the onslaught of Glock Bashing is almost instantaneous. It may have started out as "fanboyism", but Glocks have been around long enough for that to have subsided. Glock now has an educated & loyal customer base, yet anytime someone says they like them, they are accused of being "fanboys" or "sheep". Even when guys like me (who have shot a ton of rounds through many different platforms) say that we love Glocks, guys jump in and call us bandwagoneers. Is it still a bandwagon 30+ years later? Today's alleged Glock Fanboyism is a more a result of constant badgering by 1911/CZ/XD/M&P etc guys constantly slinging mud.

golfrj
09-14-2012, 3:28 PM
glocks are simple. Easy to clean, easy to shoot with no safeties to remember to use. And I don't feel like I need to baby it. Hell, its not a work of art, its a true tool.

What he said.. And when it stops it don't take a Rhodes Scholar to figure out why.. Luv the Damn Things..

DRAB_81
09-14-2012, 3:30 PM

Like Shananiguns said, don't worry about it. Go put a bunch of rounds through it before developing any opinions about it. Like I've said many times before, my stock GEN 4 G17 (RSVxxx, 3/2011) with 336 ejector has been flawless through well over 5,000rds. I also have 2 good friends with GEN 4 G17's & 336 ejectors that have been flawless as well. You made a great choice, dot let the Internet get in the way of that.

InGrAM
09-14-2012, 3:49 PM
I'm glad we can agree on that. It just seems like everything a Glock thread is opened, the onslaught of Glock Bashing is almost instantaneous. It may have started out as "fanboyism", but Glocks have been around long enough for that to have subsided. Glock now has an educated & loyal customer base, yet anytime someone says they like them, they are accused of being "fanboys" or "sheep". Even when guys like me (who have shot a ton of rounds through many different platforms) say that we love Glocks, guys jump in and call us bandwagoneers. Is it still a bandwagon 30+ years later? Today's alleged Glock Fanboyism is a more a result of constant badgering by 1911/CZ/XD/M&P etc guys constantly slinging mud.

I am glad too, I was being overly aggressive and being an *******. You checked me and thanks for that. Sometimes I forget that we are all on the same side.

It is definitely not a bandwagon anymore. The Glock has just as much a place in history as the 1911 does and they both will be around for decades to come. For that simple reason people love to hate them both.

I do see what you are saying in a lot of threads and It is very annoying when people never give the platform a chance for some reason or another. I think that they think if they do give it a chance, they will actually like the glock (heaven forbid :rolleyes:). Or they will be in a group that has been stereotyped for being too aggressive with it's promotion of the firearm.

Everyone should give the gun a chance, give every gun at least a chance and if you don't like it, you don't like it.

But I could be way off with my thought process on the subject.

DRAB_81
09-14-2012, 3:54 PM
I am glad too, I was being overly aggressive and being an *******. You checked me and thanks for that. Sometimes I forget that we are all on the same side.

It is definitely not a bandwagon anymore. The Glock has just as much a place in history as the 1911 does and they both will be around for decades to come. For that simple reason people love to hate them both.

I do see what you are saying in a lot of threads and It is very annoying when people never give the platform a chance for some reason or another. I think that they think if they do give it a chance, they will actually like the glock (heaven forbid :rolleyes:). Or they will be in a group that has been stereotyped for being too aggressive with it's promotion of the firearm.

Everyone should give the gun a chance, give every gun at least a chance and if you don't like it, you don't like it.

:cheers2: Cheers my friend :cheers2:

Shenaniguns
09-14-2012, 3:58 PM

I'm guilty at times as well and need to remember that not everyone knows I'm just blunt in general but not 'trying' to be an a-hole. :o

InGrAM
09-14-2012, 4:08 PM
I'm guilty at times as well and need to remember that not everyone knows I'm just blunt in general but not 'trying' to be an a-hole. :o

I am glad we could get past that. No hard feelings, :).

stormvet
09-14-2012, 4:28 PM
I really don't think any of us are trying to bash Glocks or 1911s for that matter. I own way more then one of both because they are both great weapons/tools.

Mossy Man
09-14-2012, 4:29 PM
Let's all go get a venti frap while we still can.

Mr.1904
09-14-2012, 5:14 PM
To all these people saying the 9mm glocks are too big and blocky; what were you shooting before, or do you just have tiny hands?

Meety Peety
09-14-2012, 8:19 PM
Hopefully I won't become a Glock fanboy now.You dirty fanboi :taz:

cwin
09-14-2012, 8:50 PM
haha. Nice choice, and welcome to the dark side.

babe
09-14-2012, 9:11 PM
I carry a Glock myself. They're great light-weight duty or combat weapons, capable of anything a Police Officer or Solder could throw at them. But they are not what I call a "fine" weapon, by that I mean as in pretty or engineered to be something they are not, like a match grade 1911.

If you were to look at well crafted handguns like the Python, BHP, CZ, Sig etc., those tend to be in the class of a finer weapon.

They have there purpose and I'm glad they're an option.

Triple

Pretty? did you seriously say pretty? I thought this was a forum full of burly men with guns. I go to my purse forum to hear about pretty! LOL! :rofl2:

stormvet
09-14-2012, 9:19 PM
At my European man bag forum we say pretty all the time. No biggie.

TripleThreat
09-14-2012, 9:33 PM
Pretty? did you seriously say pretty? I thought this was a forum full of burly men with guns. I go to my purse forum to hear about pretty! LOL! :rofl2:

That is a pink toy pig in your avatar? Talk about calling the kettle black.

Triple

stormvet
09-14-2012, 10:15 PM
That is a pink toy pig in your avatar? Talk about calling the kettle black.

Triple
Uh, triple I believe babe is of the female gender that whole pot, kettle thing really don't work in this case.

TripleThreat
09-14-2012, 11:23 PM
Uh, triple I believe babe is of the female gender that whole pot, kettle thing really don't work in this case.

I tried. :p

RobertSmith
09-14-2012, 11:43 PM
One can not have enough Glocks. Tried and true.

Schweinmesser
09-15-2012, 9:40 PM
congrats OP on your purchase. recently picked up a G23 that I won at the Yolo Glock match earlier this year and loving it.

DRAB_81
09-15-2012, 11:09 PM
To all these people saying the 9mm glocks are too big and blocky; what were you shooting before, or do you just have tiny hands?

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c297/rabara9/E447200A-DD5A-4006-A254-58618D6C9B12-1097-00000168FF624187.jpg

POINTMANDDT
09-16-2012, 7:30 AM
Sorry to hear you caved.....

Calm down fanboys, I'm only kidding. If you're happy with your purchase, that's all that matters!

I remember a guy that bashed the Glock, but never even fired one before lol:p

You're on my,"turn to the dark side" list. :43:

To the OP. You made a great first purchase on the glock. The 19 is one of the best glocks out there.

PerfectReset
09-16-2012, 8:06 AM

Came with 1 mag only.

Best gun purchase you ever made and that is a great deal for 19 in like new condition... If you want to really enjoy it/become proficient with it, it takes practice. I recommend shooting it with intended frequency for best results... The Glocks take a little getting used to compared to a Sig or 1911, then one day you look back and think "wow, can't believe I ever lived without this amazing trigger reset and brilliant simplicity. So easy to clean, and acceptable to clean less often if desired... I just appreciate them more and more the more I buy and I disliked Glocks for the first 6-7 years I owned/shot handguns because I only shot once every few months. In fact I even sold my G35 last year after owning it for about 6 years. Now that I shoot at least twice a month, I almost shoot the Glocks exclusively and have 2 x 26's, 2 x 19's, 1 x 23, 1 x 22 Gen 2.

mbt
09-16-2012, 8:53 PM
I'd get one if they got rid of the finger grooves or at least have the option.

Mossy Man
09-16-2012, 9:14 PM
Compared to my SR40C, the G19 seems to have looser tolerances, poorer fit andd finish, and it feels a little clumsy in hand. All of that is, however, belied by its very easy shootability and how fast i can get on target with it.

That is of course with a 2nd Gen, since i still haven't picked up mine yet. But I've shot a few hundred rounds through my cousins Gen 2 G19, which impressed me enough to get my own.

I definity still love my other pistols and my revolver, but the G19 seems to have all i want for its intended purpose.

I still have a soft spot for my P89 though, which was my first handgun from a decade ago.

wurger
09-16-2012, 9:41 PM

The whole Glock grip thing cracks me up. I was shooting my G35 and the guy in the lane next to me was shooting his HK USP. We were chatting while reloading, and he has to share his opinion of how big the Glock grips are. This coming from someone shooting a USP. I also own a USP .45, and that grip is beefier than the Glock 35 grip. I managed not to say what I was thinking.

Fishslayer
09-16-2012, 10:23 PM
It just seems like everytime a Glock thread is opened, the onslaught of Glock Bashing is almost instantaneous. It may have started out as "fanboyism", but Glocks have been around long enough for that to have subsided. Glock now has an educated & loyal customer base, yet anytime someone says they like them, they are accused of being "fanboys" or "sheep".

What bashing? Don't see a lot of "They suck" or "They're junk." And not many who know anything would take that any more seriously than "You can't get a decent 1911 for less than a grand."

Sure, they have an educated & loyal customer base but there is also a large number of fanbois who are kinda like a kid with his first Sportster. It's their first and so far only gun and they want extoll it's virtues at every opportunity and badmouth everything else. Those are the annoying jackwagons who kinda tick a lot of us off. And face it. It's just fun to poke at the fanbois. :D

jimaro
09-17-2012, 9:56 AM
I feel like such a fool for not wanting a Glock for sooooooooo many years...I recently bought a G27...what an awesome gun, very accurate and always fires, outstanding weapon...next is a 20 with the .50 conversion...thank you Gaston Glock!

CEDaytonaRydr
09-17-2012, 10:16 AM
The only reason I bought one is because I shot it better than anything else I tried. I actually had my heart set on a Spingfield XD40 but I didn't shoot it was well. :confused:

helpme
09-17-2012, 11:56 AM
Now that you bought that Glock:puke:, agents should be at your house shortly to collect your other firearms and quarantine/dispose of them now since you're now officially a Glock fanboy!

All jokes aside, enjoy the new gun bud!

luckyduck
09-17-2012, 12:45 PM
I have only about 100 rounds through a friend's Gen3 G19. I like it.

Yesterday I shot it back to back with my M&P9 FS. Sure, not a great comparison as the G19 is smaller in nearly every dimension but bore-size and perhaps slide width. However, I came away with the distinct impression that the G19 is accurate and comfortable to hold in hand. However, I think it is much less tolerant of limp-wristing than my M&P9 FS. My friend shot the G19 and had two instances where the slide failed to lock back after the last round was fire last or failed to chamber the last round. I've shot the G19 on two separate occassions and it was far more reliable for me on the second. On the first, I had 3-4 failure to fires. It could have been the cheapo winchester ammo or my technique as I am a novice shooter.

However, yesterday, my M&P9 performed flawlessly. The friend who had troubles with the G19 only had the problem of spent casings flying at your forehead and shoulders while firing; a sign that she was probably limpwristing and not controlling the recoil as well as she could have.

Finally, I think all three of us who shot both weapons yesterday preferred the ergos on the M&P far more than the Glock. Additionally, the Gen3 trigger is very rough and uncomfortable compared to the M&P trigger ergos and I think we all preferred the trigger pull of the M&P more (it's a recent production gun so I think they've improved the sear so that my pull is less than 4#).

This is all anecdotal. So take it with a grain of salt.

noob_tube
09-17-2012, 12:47 PM
Welcome to the dark side!!!