PDA

View Full Version : Finish difference in Benelli M4

FLAWLS1
09-11-2012, 4:59 PM
I bought a 2nd Benelli M4 on September 1st and picked it up today (911). I noticed that there's a difference in the finish compared to my other M4. The new one has a more glossy finish while the other one is more of a flat finish. It's actually very noticeable and it looks quite nice too. Anyone buy a M4 recently and notice this?

Buddhabelly
09-11-2012, 7:51 PM
I bought a 2nd Benelli M4 on September 1st and picked it up today (911). I noticed that there's a difference in the finish compared to my other M4. The new one has a more glossy finish while the other one is more of a flat finish. It's actually very noticeable and it looks quite nice too. Anyone buy a M4 recently and notice this?

I think you may notice it because you have 2 and have a great point of reference. Which one do you like better?

Are you a good photographer? Can you take pictures of them side-by-side for us?

Mesa Tactical
09-12-2012, 6:40 AM
Any variations in finish are probably accidental. The Benelli receiver is aluminum, so the finish is black anodizing. Freshly machined aluminum has a very shiny finish, so many anodized firearms (like ARs, etc). are media blasted slightly prior to anodizing to give them a duller finish. We have to do this to all our machined aluminum parts. I notice most Mossberg 500s I have seen have not been media blasted in this manner.

You are probably seeing variations in the intensity of the media blasting.

We have two Benelli M4s purchased five years apart, and there is no discernible difference in the finish.

MrNiceGuy
09-12-2012, 9:49 AM
Are both M4s? Or is the older one a M1014?

FLAWLS1
09-12-2012, 10:39 AM
I think you may notice it because you have 2 and have a great point of reference. Which one do you like better?

Are you a good photographer? Can you take pictures of them side-by-side for us?
I like the one with a glossy finish a little better. I will take pics of them side by side once I have free time.
Any variations in finish are probably accidental. The Benelli receiver is aluminum, so the finish is black anodizing. Freshly machined aluminum has a very shiny finish, so many anodized firearms (like ARs, etc). are media blasted slightly prior to anodizing to give them a duller finish. We have to do this to all our machined aluminum parts. I notice most Mossberg 500s I have seen have not been media blasted in this manner.

You are probably seeing variations in the intensity of the media blasting.

We have two Benelli M4s purchased five years apart, and there is no discernible difference in the finish.
No, the receivers on both M4's look the same. The barrel and magazine tube is what I was referring to.

Are both M4s? Or is the older one a M1014?

They're both M4's. One is 11721 and the other is 11707

FLAWLS1
09-12-2012, 2:25 PM
Pics added. It looks like the Robar Poly T-2 finish. From my understanding the H2O M4 is finished by Robar using the NP3 finish. It would make sense if the newer M4's were finished by Robar too

Buddhabelly
09-12-2012, 3:08 PM
Whoa. The barrel of the bottom one almost looks like it's bead blasted. Amazing difference.:confused:

FLAWLS1
09-12-2012, 3:51 PM
Whoa. The barrel of the bottom one almost looks like it's bead blasted. Amazing difference.:confused:

Yeah, its a pretty noticeable difference. Even if I run my hand on the barrel the glossy one is very smooth like. Almost like it has a clear coat on it. The flat looking finish is also smooth, but not as smooth and obviously from the pics it doesn't look to have a cleat coat on it.

gotshotgun?
09-12-2012, 4:48 PM
I'm not trying to be a D, honest, but why does this matter? Its a gun, a tool, go shoot it (them) and enjoy. You seem to be one of those gun owners who puts his firearms on a trophy case and just gawks at them and nit-picks. You now have 2 M4s, that is awesome. Most don't have one, go shoot it and report back.

drdanno84
09-12-2012, 5:00 PM
169256You definetly need to change out your mag tube and add one of these from Carrier Comp. I added one to my desert camo and black Benelli M4, they are awesome to shoot!
http://shop.carriercomp.com/category.sc?categoryId=4

FLAWLS1
09-12-2012, 5:03 PM
I'm not trying to be a D, honest, but why does this matter? Its a gun, a tool, go shoot it (them) and enjoy. You seem to be one of those gun owners who puts his firearms on a trophy case and just gawks at them and nit-picks. You now have 2 M4s, that is awesome. Most don't have one, go shoot it and report back.
What the hell! You're not trying to be a douche? LOL, you clearly tried. Forums are places where you can ask questions right? Honestly, I don't really care what I seem like to you. You don't know me and I don't know you. I don't judge you, but you judge me. If I do "nit-pick" then I certainly feel I have every right to. The guns I own weren't given to me for free!

Guns are tools? Ok, maybe so, but I like to keep my guns in good condition. What's it to you anyway? I don't see how this certain post caused you to be the way you are, but whatever. If I did keep my firearms in a trophy case and gawked at them why would that matter at all to you? It's not like I was complaining about the finish. I'm not looking to get in a stupid internet argument, but feel free to continue what you're doing.

gotshotgun?
09-12-2012, 5:05 PM
Calm down man... way too much pent up whatever... I'm over it. Nice shotguns.

FLAWLS1
09-12-2012, 5:07 PM
You definetly need to change out your mag tube and add one of these from Carrier Comp. I added one to my desert camo and black Benelli M4, they are awesome to shoot!
http://shop.carriercomp.com/category.sc?categoryId=4
Yes, that's the plan. I should be ordering one soon.

Buddhabelly
09-12-2012, 6:31 PM

This is just wrong to call him out like that with no basic whatsoever. He was just commenting/wondering if anyone else noticed a finish difference, and then you went BAM !

WTF?

e46sc3
09-12-2012, 7:37 PM
Another M4 ... Sweet! What are you doing this Saturday morning? A couple of coworkers and I are planning on going the the United Sportsmen range in Concord. Your welcome to join us ... I plan on shooting my Sig 716 and a newly purchased used Mossberg 930. I'll bring out my M4 if you come ...

oh, and my M4 looks more like the bottom one on your pictures. Flat black ....

prc77
09-12-2012, 8:13 PM
We are having a little shotgun match on Sep 30 at Richmond Rod & Gun. Meet the requirments, send in the app. and entry fee. Then see you on the 30th. There will be M2's, M4's, 930's, SLP's, Browning Gold, 1100's Saiga 12's, 870's, Moss 500's SERBU SHORTY.

There might be room in the SAFE HANDGUN Competitor Class on Sep 15.

http://www.richmondhotshots.com/
scroll down to the bottom of the page.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=501824

https://www.facebook.com/#!/CalActionSgChallenge

FLAWLS1
09-12-2012, 10:51 PM
Another M4 ... Sweet! What are you doing this Saturday morning? A couple of coworkers and I are planning on going the the United Sportsmen range in Concord. Your welcome to join us ... I plan on shooting my Sig 716 and a newly purchased used Mossberg 930. I'll bring out my M4 if you come ...

oh, and my M4 looks more like the bottom one on your pictures. Flat black ....
AHH, I'm busy this Saturday (birthday). How do you like the 930?
We are having a little shotgun match on Sep 30 at Richmond Rod & Gun. Meet the requirments, send in the app. and entry fee. Then see you on the 30th. There will be M2's, M4's, 930's, SLP's, Browning Gold, 1100's Saiga 12's, 870's, Moss 500's SERBU SHORTY.

There might be room in the SAFE HANDGUN Competitor Class on Sep 15.

http://www.richmondhotshots.com/
scroll down to the bottom of the page.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=501824

https://www.facebook.com/#!/CalActionSgChallenge
Thanks, I'll check links out.

e46sc3
09-13-2012, 2:13 AM
AHH, I'm busy this Saturday (birthday). How do you like the 930?

Well, Happy Birthday to you AJ!

As for the 930 ... I don't know, I just picked it up on Monday. Don't you have a 930 as well? I was gonna ask you about yours ...

FLAWLS1
09-13-2012, 3:54 AM
Well, Happy Birthday to you AJ!

As for the 930 ... I don't know, I just picked it up on Monday. Don't you have a 930 as well? I was gonna ask you about yours ...

Thanks bud! Yeah, I have the 930 SPX and I think it's a great semi-auto shotgun. Its affordable and it has eaten everything I've put through it. Is yours the SPX model? You should bring the M4 with you on Saturday also just to compare the two.

JDPhx501
09-13-2012, 8:44 AM
Ok man, stop showing off :D Don't mind the haters, they're probably just jealous they didn't want to spend 2k on a shotgun. I thought it was crazy to spend that much on it, but I had to have it and I sold off all the guns I don't shoot or want anymore to have it.

Nice ones, I wish mine had the top finish.

I have the M4 and SPX 930 and shot hundreds of clays with them last time.

I'm faster getting on target with the SPX but the M4 feels more precise.

I personally feel that the M4 kicks alittle harder than the SPX.

My M4 choked on 2 Winchester Universal 8s (this is documented on other forums and on Youtube) but the SPX ate 100 rounds of Winchester Universal before without stoppage.

And I prefer having a pistol grip over the traditional stock, definitely makes it easier to handle and load (we practice loading 4 shells in between shots).

e46sc3
09-13-2012, 9:50 PM
Thanks bud! Yeah, I have the 930 SPX and I think it's a great semi-auto shotgun. Its affordable and it has eaten everything I've put through it. Is yours the SPX model? You should bring the M4 with you on Saturday also just to compare the two.

No, I bought a combo version (18.5" + 28" waterfowl barrel). I didn't feel the need to go tactical again. I really wanted something with a long barrel for trap and clay shooting. Something I didn't believe the M4 would be good for.