PDA

View Full Version : Painting an 870

SDBlaster
09-11-2012, 12:24 PM
I plan on painting my rem 870 and purchased some camo colored spray paint. Anyone have any advice for me? Prep, coats, foliage to use as templates, ect???

SDBlaster
09-12-2012, 12:20 PM
anyone????

AK all day
09-12-2012, 12:33 PM
I would personally reccomend getting some duracoat. As far as pattern I really like the pattern of A-TACS.

sarge1572
09-13-2012, 8:59 AM
I've painted several 870's with Brownell's Aluma-Hyde II with great success. Just make sure the surface is clean and degreased, and the obvious.... openings are taped up so paint doesn't get inside the receiver or chamber.........

I just used the grey to emulate Parkerizing but have read many posts where people have made their own templates. As the poster above indicates, there are many for sale.

Suggestions? The better the preparation the better the end result. Don't be in a hurry!

Good luck
Jeff.

sleepur606
09-13-2012, 9:09 AM
Clean the surfaces to be painted like they're going into surgery. Even the best paint won't stick to dirt real well.

As far as what to use for your patterns, I've seen great "grass" patterns done using broom straw; the straw pieces in an older whisk broom. Fan them out and you can get a decent break up patter. Also, small twigs or large leaves can give you decent effect if all you're looking for is to break up the colors. Even netting works, but you need it to be very close to the surface so you don't spray behind it.

If you want a particular pattern or digi cam, you can either make your own templates out of masking tape or you can buy the patterns online. Just remember, they can get expensive and usually you need more stencils than you get in a pack if you're doing a high color count camo like Multi-Cam.

teflondog
09-13-2012, 2:08 PM
Nutnfancy has several youtube videos about painting (Duracoating) shotguns. I think they're worth the time to watch.

Jel
09-13-2012, 3:03 PM
I plan on painting my rem 870 and purchased some camo colored spray paint. Anyone have any advice for me? Prep, coats, foliage to use as templates, ect???

I was imagining a spray can with a camo pattern cap that would automatically spray that pattern on whatever it is you were painting. That would be awesome.

Like previously mentioned, Durakote would be the way to go.

As alternative, you can have your 870 sent in for hydro graphics and get almost any camo pattern you want.

www.gocloak.com

Ubermcoupe
09-13-2012, 5:57 PM
This guys knows a little something about the subject:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=7398607&postcount=3

:D