PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 500 having trouble chambering a round.

iLikeEatPoo
09-10-2012, 2:31 PM
My mossberg 500 sometimes has trouble loading the shell from the magazine tube to the chamber. Even when I work the action really hard.

I already tried changing out the magazine spring to a woff heavy duty and it still is the same result. Also I cannot load more than 4 shells into the tube or the spring binds. It is a 5+1

I am using the OEM follower still. Anyone else get this issue?

swifty
09-10-2012, 2:34 PM
Describe a bit more in detail what is actually happening, or not happening.

CSACANNONEER
09-10-2012, 2:36 PM
sounds like a shell stop issue but, it's hard to tell for sure.

dc2integra
09-10-2012, 3:25 PM
When I first got my mossberg 500 I was having a similar issue.Mine was the one with the matte finish it seemed like the coating on the slide tubes was too thick.So I sat one night and racked it back and forth wile watching tv.Took it out the next day and put 100 rds of birdshot with no hiccups.Is it brand new?

iLikeEatPoo
09-10-2012, 3:31 PM
It is slightly new. I took it to the range and ran 25 casings of buckshot though it. The tube is already worn down to the finish to metal on certain points where the action makes friction.

Pretty much the shells in the magazine tube do not chamber with ease. Sometimes they don't even chamber at all and I need to hit the action release and try again. Ammunition type doesn't effect it. I have tried with winchester bird shot and buckshot as well at olin milgrade mg buck.

If I had a camera I would make a video of the issue but I don't.

Also the magazine tube spring is binding if I try loading in more than 4 shells. Would an aftermarket follower help with this issue?

swifty
09-10-2012, 3:38 PM
Pretty much the shells in the magazine tube do not chamber with ease. Sometimes they don't even chamber at all and...

...I need to hit the action release and try again.

Its much easier to help you if get specific. I think you are saying a bunch of stuff that does not matter and might be confusing.

Do you mean..."The shells are not coming out of the magazine tube"?

iLikeEatPoo
09-10-2012, 3:43 PM
Yes. The shells are not coming out of the magazine tube.

shellslinger
09-10-2012, 3:59 PM
You should take it apart and put it back together again. Maybe one of the shell interrupters are binding somewhere.

swifty
09-10-2012, 3:59 PM
The shells are not coming out of the magazine tube.

The Cartridge Stop is the part that lets the shell out of the mag tube. It is in the left-hand wall of the receiver, about " wide and 4" long. If you flip the gun upside down you will see it in the (now) right-hand side of the receiver.

When the forearm is moved rearward a bevel on the action bar cams the Cartridge Stop into the wall of the receiver, releasing the shell.

The Cartridge Stop is not moving enough to let the shell by, either because of crud, damage or improper fitting.

There is a tab on the Cartridge Stop that makes contact with the action bar, this tab needs to be bent very slightly towards the centerline of the gun, provided there is no damage or crud involved.

~ To get to this part the trigger group needs to be removed, check for debris in the back of the action.
~ If you have put a new stock on the receiver, the stock bolt may be too long.

iLikeEatPoo
09-10-2012, 4:02 PM
I have put on the ATI 6point stock on it. I didn't realize the stock would effect the bolt. I will try putting the OEM stock back on and see if there is a difference. If not I'll take apart and clean the entire gun inside and out.

swifty
09-10-2012, 4:03 PM
You can either shorten the stock bolt or add a couple of washers under the head.

winnre
09-10-2012, 4:07 PM
See if the magaizne tube is screwed in all the way.

hermosabeach
09-10-2012, 4:12 PM
"The tube is already worn down to the finish to metal on certain points where the action makes friction."

Wear is normal... but if it is a new gun ~25 rounds fired, you might want to double check that you are not adding a twisting/ rotating motion to the forend when you are cycling the action. I have seen the action bars wear out as the shooter was unaware they were adding some twist onto the forend.

I would take out the magazine spring to verify that you do not have anything extra in the mag tube. The mossbergs come with some type of dowel / rod that is used to limit the gun to 2+1 for duck hunting. If you are only loading 4 shells and it is a 5 shell tube, something is causing the issue.

By removing the spring, you can get an idea of the issue.
Part of the plug for the hunting limitations
Spring caught in the threads
Plastic shell stop melted by gun scrubber
etc

if this and the other ideas do nto work,please post pictures

iLikeEatPoo
09-10-2012, 4:33 PM
I have added spacers to the bolt but problem is still there. I am now taking the gun apart again double checking I have installed the magazine spring correctly.

iLikeEatPoo
09-21-2012, 10:49 PM
Figure out the problem so I wanted to post to help anyone else with this issue.

The shell magazine latch was not working properly. The action bars were not hitting it correctly and thus the latch was going to the inside of the receiver instead of being push to the outside of the receiver.

Solution: Bend the latch slightly to the outside to ensure the latch always gets pushed to the outside.