PDA

View Full Version : Disable shooter

jbfxdx
09-10-2012, 1:20 PM
Im posting this for my brother he was in a bad motorcycle accident an lost movement in his left arm.. Now that it's been 3yrs since the accident an he's been through all the surgeries that the doctors can do for him he is wanting to start shooting again I'm try to do the research to find something that will help him be able to do everything his self like charging a pistol by himself ect. Just looking to get some advice on where to start looking??

jrara
09-10-2012, 1:25 PM
Few suggestions:

1. Maybe Start him off with a .22 pistol
2. Get a pistol that you can install a "side-racking handle"
3. Get a Double Action revolver.
4. Maybe get an airsoft replica of the pistol he wants so he can Practice charging?

zfields
09-10-2012, 1:47 PM
sturdy belt and a tall, flat faced rear sight.

wash
09-10-2012, 1:50 PM
Well, what does he want to shoot and how much strength/dexterity does he have on the right side?

Quickdraw Mcgraw
09-10-2012, 1:55 PM
I've seen pretty cool side charging handels for glocks...otherwise Z-fields has got it. I went thru a front sight class with a guy with only one hand and he had a HUGE bruise on his leg from the rear sights by the end of three days, but it worked!

DVSmith
09-10-2012, 1:58 PM
Im posting this for my brother he was in a bad motorcycle accident an lost movement in his left arm.. Now that it's been 3yrs since the accident an he's been through all the surgeries that the doctors can do for him he is wanting to start shooting again I'm try to do the research to find something that will help him be able to do everything his self like charging a pistol by himself ect. Just looking to get some advice on where to start looking??

Is his left arm and hand completely useless? It would help if you can describe what he is capable of doing. Having worked with several disabled shooters as an instructor, the first thing I have done is ask the student what they think they can do and work through those tasks first to validate. then I know what they can't do and start looking for alternatives. For example, zfields points out that you can rack some semi-autos by catching the rear sight on your belt or another appropriate object and pushing the frame.

I had a student that couldn't grasp anything with her left hand and loading a magazine was impossible unless there was a table she could work against. Eventually we worked out that she could work against her leg almost as well. All she needed her left hand for was steadying the magazine and she could do that. Then she figured out on her own that she could use a mag pouch on her belt and put the mag in upside down and load it. I was pretty impressed with her ability to look at the problem and start looking for adaptations.

CSACANNONEER
09-10-2012, 2:02 PM
Disarmed Marksman has developed ways which work for him. They are not alway "range safe" meathods but, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. You might want to shot him a PM with your number and ask him to call you. He doesn't post much and sometimes doesn't log on for extended periods but, he is the person who could point you in the right dirrection.

jbfxdx
09-10-2012, 2:18 PM
Sorry guys his left arm from shoulder to finger tips does not work at all but his right arm is completely fine he has shoot my 45 an can handle it but charging it seem to be the problem I have seen looped slide handles for glocks an XDs but he still doesn't have the ability to pull it so I was thinking maybe a hook on his belt to hook in to it an push down but I don't think that's really safe??

wash
09-10-2012, 2:27 PM
There are ledge rear sights and slide rackers that replace the rear sight on guns with optical sights.

If reloading and charging the gun are where he has issues, maybe go high capacity so he does not have to reload or rack the slide as often. Also if he counts his shots and reloads with one in the pipe, he won't have to rack the slide as often.

Lead Waster
09-10-2012, 4:33 PM
Reloading (refilling) magazines might be an issue. If you had a .22lr like the Rugers, you could use the "Ultimate Clip Loader" to fill the mags with one hand. With the external knob on the ruger mags, you could rig something up to hold the follower down and load the mag one round at a time without spring tension acting against you.

A revolver will of course be easier to load.

Charging, like zfields said can be solved by charging handles and some way to do it.

I'm sure some creative wood/metal work could make a table top device that would let you dip the gun into it and have it catch the slide to rack it, while keeping the muzzle safely down range.

Some creativity and an Uplula might facilitate loading centerfire magazines as well.

You could make some jig that holds magazines upright so that loading the mag into the pistol can be done with one hand just setting the mag well onto the upstanding mag.

Old4eyes
09-10-2012, 6:07 PM
If your brother is shooting at a range that has a sturdy bench, maybe it would be possible to bring a setup that bolts to the right hand side of the bench with a board that is vertical. He can then place the sights against the board with the muzzle down range and rack the slide.

If your brother is going for a pistol rather than a revolver, the obvious thing is to choose one that is easy to rack and has the slide release within easy reach of the thumb and doesn't take much effort to disengage. A Beretta 92 fits both criteria but I don't know how well the rear sights will stand up to the procedure.

Of course if you are shooting someplace where the rules are relaxed (BLM) then racking on the belt, heel of the boot is available. If you/he are nervous about a discharge going into the leg etc, again something like the Beretta with a safety/decocker can be engaged before the racking procedure as an extra measure of safety.

I agree with others about the toughest part may be the reloading of magazines. Off the top of my head I can't think of how an Uplula will be of help here. I guess in the field you could clamp the magazine between the knees and use the good arm.

Good luck to your brother, tell us how he makes out.

robcoe
09-10-2012, 6:18 PM
Sounds like the best solution would be a DA revolver.

Z.1
09-10-2012, 6:29 PM
Sounds like the best solution would be a DA revolver.

+1

This would be a logical starting point. Maybe expand from here as his comfort/ability permits?

dangerranger
09-10-2012, 6:52 PM
People find solutions to every day problems, But Im thinking a DA revolver will be a great start.

Check out this guys vidios

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuDOTESi86w

jbfxdx
09-10-2012, 8:53 PM
I want to thank all who has commented on my post.... Thanks for the good ideas I think I'm gonna try an fabricate a rack to set on a bench/table top to charge in a safe direction....

G-forceJunkie
09-10-2012, 8:54 PM
Sorry guys his left arm from shoulder to finger tips does not work at all but his right arm is completely fine he has shoot my 45 an can handle it but charging it seem to be the problem I have seen looped slide handles for glocks an XDs but he still doesn't have the ability to pull it so I was thinking maybe a hook on his belt to hook in to it an push down but I don't think that's really safe??

As long as the pistol is always pointed in a safe direction, I see no problem. At a shooting range where you have a bench, he could simply rotate the pistol upside down, and rack it by hooking the rear sites on the edge of the table. Glocks with Trijicon sites are perfect for this with their wide, flat slide and the Trijicons have a 90degree face on the front. A Revolver would also work well.