PDA

View Full Version : Q about hi cap mags

DrGonzo615
09-10-2012, 11:10 AM
So Im looking at a CZ-82 in Vegas, which comes with 5 of the hi-cap 12 round magazines.

Now ive been doing some research around the web in regards to the hi cap mags and I just want to clarify if what Im reading is correct.

My understanding of this is:

I can disassemble the magazines then they would be legal to transport back to CA. Then once they are here, I can modify them to only hold the 10 round max and reassemble them and I would not have broken any laws. Does this sound right?

morrcarr67
09-10-2012, 11:13 AM
You are correct Sir.

CK_32
09-10-2012, 11:36 AM
Yup you got it..

But.... When modding your own 10 rounders you better make 10000% sure you can't squeeze 11 in there. Because if how some way they or you get 11 then it's again still a high cap.

Some guys make their 9 rounders to be safe by if you do it right take your time and just make sure it's exactly 10.

CSACANNONEER
09-10-2012, 11:42 AM
Congrats! You are one of the few that actually do your homework before asking about +10 round mags here! You get an A+!

.45 ftw!
09-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Not to be a smart ***, but the 12 round magazines are the standard capacity. The ten rounders are restricted-capacity. We all need to stop falling for the mommy-state's bullsh***t propaganda. It seems like this forum would be a great place to start bringing back the correct terminology as it refers to firearms. That's my theory anyway. :thumbsup:

.45 ftw!
09-10-2012, 12:00 PM
or maybe we should say high-cap mag like this: "high-capacity" magazine. What do I know? I've caught myself referring to standard Glock 21 thirteen-round magazines as "high-cap" and it makes me mad. They've got me thinking that way too. Being a Californian isn't always easy I guess. lol

DrGonzo615
09-10-2012, 12:06 PM
Congrats! You are one of the few that actually do your homework before asking about +10 round mags here! You get an A+!

haha thanks, I can see how people get confused though....friggin gun laws are labyrinthian to say the least.

Lead Waster
09-10-2012, 12:07 PM
Yup you got it..

But.... When modding your own 10 rounders you better make 10000% sure you can't squeeze 11 in there. Because if how some way they or you get 11 then it's again still a high cap.

Some guys make their 9 rounders to be safe by if you do it right take your time and just make sure it's exactly 10.

I blocked some mags to 10, and the 10th is a tight squeeze, to the point that I'm probably damaging the follower. I should have made them 10 rounds + 1/2 a round width. Ie; not 11, but 10 with space to make loading reasonable.

d4v0s
09-10-2012, 12:20 PM
maybe this has been discussed before. but what about permanence?

unusedusername
09-10-2012, 12:25 PM
maybe this has been discussed before. but what about permanence?

Permanence is required, but not defined.

erik_26
09-10-2012, 12:29 PM
So Im looking at a CZ-82 in Vegas, which comes with 5 of the hi-cap 12 round magazines.

Now ive been doing some research around the web in regards to the hi cap mags and I just want to clarify if what Im reading is correct.

My understanding of this is:

I can disassemble the magazines then they would be legal to transport back to CA. Then once they are here, I can modify them to only hold the 10 round max and reassemble them and I would not have broken any laws. Does this sound right?

Don't come back to California. Stay in Nevada or keep on truckin' to a free state where you can enjoy your standard capacity magazines along with all your other freedoms.

Stop giving your hard earned tax dollars to a state that refuses to acknowledge your rights and restricts your freedoms.

This state is far more accommodating to Marijuana which is an illegal drug than it is to your 2nd amendment.

d4v0s
09-10-2012, 12:32 PM
so then I permanently promise to not commit a felony and turn them into normal cap mags.... problem solved right?

the ridiculous part about a Permanence clause is that a monkey in a machine shop could make any mag he wants? not to mention I had the "highcap" in my hands when assembling and could have done anything I wanted with it.

ugh California I hate you

CSACANNONEER
09-10-2012, 12:44 PM
or maybe we should say high-cap mag like this: "high-capacity" magazine. What do I know? I've caught myself referring to standard Glock 21 thirteen-round magazines as "high-cap" and it makes me mad. They've got me thinking that way too. Being a Californian isn't always easy I guess. lol

To be a smart azz, there are diferent legal definitions of "high capacity magazine" depending on which state's laws you are refering to. There is no legal definition of "restricted capacity" or "reduced capacity". Also, Ca is far from the worst state when it comes to magazine laws. At least, here I can still legally own and use my old mags. If I were in several other states, I would have had to turn them in to the local LEA.

Saym14
09-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Yes, Permanently modified to hold 10

newbee1111
09-10-2012, 2:21 PM
It sounds like you are thinking about buying a gun in Vegas and then bringing it back here. If you are a California resident you can't do that. If you live here then you need to buy your gun from a California FFL and it will already come with 10 round mags. If you are a Nevada resident then the main thing you need to worry about is not bringing fully assembled hicap magazines into the state.

CSACANNONEER
09-10-2012, 2:35 PM
It sounds like you are thinking about buying a gun in Vegas and then bringing it back here. If you are a California resident you can't do that. If you live here then you need to buy your gun from a California FFL and it will already come with 10 round mags. If you are a Nevada resident then the main thing you need to worry about is not bringing fully assembled hicap magazines into the state.

You have it correct for a newbee but, if he is a CA resident, he can buy a handgun out of state! If he holds a 03FFL and the gun is a C&R, he can pay cash, take possession of it and bring it back to CA. If not, he can still buy it and have it shipped to a CA FFL as long as it is on the roster or exempt from the roster. The mags can be disassembled and remanufactured into 10 round or less mags. This is commonly done for many guns for which no commercial 10 round or less mags are produced.

Lead Waster
09-10-2012, 4:40 PM
You have it correct for a newbee but, if he is a CA resident, he can buy a handgun out of state! If he holds a 03FFL and the gun is a C&R, he can pay cash, take possession of it and bring it back to CA. If not, he can still buy it and have it shipped to a CA FFL as long as it is on the roster or exempt from the roster. The mags can be disassembled and remanufactured into 10 round or less mags. This is commonly done for many guns for which no commercial 10 round or less mags are produced.

I hope that if the OP IS an FFL holder, he knows the rules already!

But generally speaking, I would say ... yes, make sure that if you are CA resident you follow the rules as you guys have mentioned.

DrGonzo615
09-10-2012, 6:38 PM
I hope that if the OP IS an FFL holder, he knows the rules already!

But generally speaking, I would say ... yes, make sure that if you are CA resident you follow the rules as you guys have mentioned.

Yes, I do have a C&R license and the gun falls under the C&R category

CSACANNONEER
09-10-2012, 6:43 PM
Yes, I do have a C&R license and the gun falls under the C&R category

Then you can buy it, take possession of it, disassemble the mags and bring it all into Ca.

Quiet
09-10-2012, 6:49 PM
Then you can buy it, take possession of it, disassemble the mags and bring it all into Ca.
And within 5 days of bringing it back to CA, you must report it to CA DOJ by sending in a completed Curio or Relic Handgun Report (http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/curioapp.pdf?) with $19 per handgun to CA DOJ.

FYI.
The factory 10 round .380ACP CZ-83 magazine works in the 9x18mm CZ-82.
Because the 9x18mm is wider than the .380ACP, the magazine will only hold nine 9x18mm cartridges.
Something to keep in mind, if you do not want to make the large capacity CZ-82 magazines into permanent 10 round magazines.

DrGonzo615
09-10-2012, 10:05 PM
And within 5 days of bringing it back to CA, you must report it to CA DOJ by sending in a completed Curio or Relic Handgun Report (http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/curioapp.pdf?) with $19 per handgun to CA DOJ.

FYI.
The factory 10 round .380ACP CZ-83 magazine works in the 9x18mm CZ-82.
Because the 9x18mm is wider than the .380ACP, the magazine will only hold nine 9x18mm cartridges.
Something to keep in mind, if you do not want to make the large capacity CZ-82 magazines into permanent 10 round magazines.

yeah ive considered that, but since the 83 mags are around $40 a pop....I dont mind doing the modification work;)

steve91104
09-10-2012, 10:09 PM
So what happens if you can fit 11 rounds of .380 ACP in your 10 round 9x18 mags? Is this a problem? Even if you don't have a CZ 83 to put it in?

steve91104
09-11-2012, 8:04 PM
So what happens if you can fit 11 rounds of .380 ACP in your 10 round 9x18 mags? Is this a problem? Even if you don't have a CZ 83 to put it in?

:gene:

Invisible_Dave
09-11-2012, 8:41 PM
Hey test case volunteer!