PDA

View Full Version : Red dot on a shotgun.

Fherot
09-09-2012, 11:50 PM
I have a Benelli supernova with the excellent ghost ring / 3 dot sights and I'm loving them.

I've also been watching the Magpul shotgun video where they make the point that shotguns usually go under the radar as far as optics versus an AR but if you're going to run slugs it's a good idea.

Anyone tried slugs with both a good set of ghost rings and a red dot like an Aimpoint Micro?

Considering I don't have an AR this shotgun is my only 'defense' centerfire long gun so if anything in my safe deserved an expensive upgrade it would be the Benelli - provided the red dot on a shotgun is worth $500.

Thoughts?

scglock
09-10-2012, 12:42 AM
Whatever floats your boat. An advantage would be that you can acquire your target faster and more accurately with a zeroed dot. But with practice you can do the same thing with the ghost rings. Like you said it is an expensive upgrade but the aimpoint is something you can also use in the future on an AR if you choose to get one or another rifle, shotgun, or even a target handgun. It's just personal preference imo. iirc I think costa and haley were the only ones running red dots on their shotguns? They're way tacticool and can pull it off. For regular range shooting and even classes I don't think its really necessary unless its a dedicated slug gun.

Fherot
09-10-2012, 8:29 AM
There were a couple others. I know those guys are TactiKewl5000-Extreme as it's their job but since it's my only centerfire long gun I do plan on using it for a lot of slugs.

I wish the high end red dots didn't cost as much as a nice accustock/trigger Savage rifle.

nas liw
09-10-2012, 10:48 AM
yeah it's all preference in the end. I have a red dot and it's cool but not really needed, but yes it's tacticool haha... But i really like the ghost ring as well and if mine had it i would keep it.

epilepticninja
09-10-2012, 11:11 AM
Take a look at the Burris Fastfire III 8 MOA. Sits low so you don't completely lose your cheekweld, and also has a large enough dot that it's easy to see for up close work, and doesn't cover the target up completely at farther ranges. I've seen them go for around $250 with a picatinny rail attachment.

ROCKETW19
09-10-2012, 1:29 PM
I have M4 Benelli with Eotech XPS2 and love it. I only shoot slugs. IMO shooting anything else at paper is silly.(other than to check pattern of buckshot) my range only goes to 25yrds and I can barley see the damn target as it is. the 65 MOA fits around the target perfect and the 1moa sits right at the bulls eye. I can pick you the taget way faster and super easy to hit bullseye with it on. it is alomost to easy but if i went to a out door range at 50 yrds I could not see that far,lol

there is just something about the 65moa and the 1 moa that makes it way fast and easy to pick up targets. I love it personaly.
my next range toy is gonna be a 50cal Beowolf and I am gonna get the magnifyer and to go with the Eotech should be fun at 50yrds

gunnerstuff
09-10-2012, 2:48 PM
I had a Trijicon Reflex II laying around and threw it on my mossy 500. What fun! Hitting soda cans at 50yrds w/ slugs.

ROCKETW19
09-10-2012, 5:05 PM
I had a Trijicon Reflex II laying around and threw it on my mossy 500. What fun! Hitting soda cans at 50yrds w/ slugs.

is that magnified? 50yrds damn how you see that far,lol

ROCKETW19
09-10-2012, 5:11 PM

just seen you have mags for the 50beowolf. I will need some as soon as I get my upper.
but have a question. I have POF lower and a regular Pmag will not fit in it I have to use Emags for 223. is there a problem with your mags and a POPF lower.
side note what 50 upper do you have? I just really started looking been wanting for awhile now but really starting to do my research. I have this one on top of list as of now
http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Uppers-.50_Beowulf_Piston_Upper.html

second choice
http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Uppers-.50_Beowulf_Advanced_Weapon_System-Complete_Upper.html

any info would be cool. sorry OP for the hijack but I think you got your anwsers I hope

iLikeEatPoo
09-10-2012, 5:13 PM
In my opinion I think it helps greatly in achieving faster sight picture.

As far as cost you can get a Primary Arms MD06 which is only 80-100$