PDA

View Full Version : Did Sig ever make their own mags in Germany?

jedi391
09-09-2012, 6:25 PM
A guy is trying to tell me that Sig never made magazines in Germany and used mec-far from the beginning. Am I crazy and are my made in Germany stamped Sig magazines from the 90's really mec-gars?

jrara
09-09-2012, 6:45 PM
All I know is that the Sig Mags with the zipper or dovetail patterns on the back are German Made Sig mags. They also sport a circle with a wierd "S" pattern.
The mags I had came with my 1992 proofed p228 were like that.

Link Below might give a little clue and clarification

http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer-p228-229-13rd-magazine-german-made.html

From the Description:
"SIG SAUER P228/229 9mm 13 round magazine. Factory magazine with a matte phosphate finish. Brand new, made JP Sauer & Sohns in Germany. Dovetail seam in rear with witness holes. Stamped "Sig Sauer" on left. JP Sauer logo stamped on rear. No other markings. "

bobomb
09-09-2012, 6:51 PM
yea no way mec gar would use the dovetail design they weld their bodies completely

the hobbled 10 rounders are probably made by mec gar

i have one with the sss in a circle it stands for sig sauer sohn

Eddy's Shooting Sports
09-09-2012, 7:15 PM
All I know is that the Sig Mags with the zipper or dovetail patterns on the back are German Made Sig mags. They also sport a circle with a wierd "S" pattern.
The mags I had came with my 1992 proofed p228 were like that.

Link Below might give a little clue and clarification

http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer-p228-229-13rd-magazine-german-made.html

From the Description:
"SIG SAUER P228/229 9mm 13 round magazine. Factory magazine with a matte phosphate finish. Brand new, made JP Sauer & Sohns in Germany. Dovetail seam in rear with witness holes. Stamped "Sig Sauer" on left. JP Sauer logo stamped on rear. No other markings. "

The weird s pattern is the logo of J.P. Sauer & Sohn, the "Sauer" half of "Sig-Sauer".

And yes, they made mags in Germany....

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/10/ybezaba5.jpg

ap3572001
09-09-2012, 7:30 PM
The very best magazines were/are made by Mecgar for US Navy contract. They are 15rds , solid body and they are green. I used them on duty. They are great

Sturnovik
09-09-2012, 7:42 PM
They did and still make models at the German facility (per 2 sig techs) and I own a brand new set of German made 10 rounder 9mm mags. The German ones aren't nearly as numerous as the mecgar or checkmates here.

The mecga/oem (German) and checkmates in that order are what I recommend.

Eddy's Shooting Sports
09-10-2012, 10:15 AM
The very best magazines were/are made by Mecgar for US Navy contract. They are 15rds , solid body and they are green. I used them on duty. They are great

Do you know of any links detailing the contract? I'd like to read about it. Just seems odd they would buy Italian made magazines when there are viable US suppliers.

Sturnovik
09-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Do you know of any links detailing the contract? I'd like to read about it. Just seems odd they would buy Italian made magazines when there are viable US suppliers.

A portion of people had issues with checkmates (made in the USA), but it was ironed out. I own 3/4 myself and no issues, but I just simply prefer the finish and easy loading of the Mecgar. Mecgar is made in Italy, lots of gun companies use there mags. There quality is as good as it gets for aftermarket and most of the time they are "oem" for some companies.

Mecgar runs for the most part 100%, cost LESS and have a far superior finish to the checkmates. I won't even mention promags here. Many departments are going to the Mecgar 18 round- 9mm , and 14 round .40 AFC magazines since they are flush fitting, cost less and hold more rounds, even if you downloaded by one!

SIG factory (German made, and a few models have USA made ones), Mecgar and checkmate are the only mags worth whole and 2 of those 3 aren't made here. Nothing wrong with checkmates, but they cost twice as much and aren't running a good finish, and are harder to load by hand.

zfields
09-10-2012, 11:22 AM

Because MecGar makes some of the best mags out there. :)

Sturnovik
09-10-2012, 11:43 AM

+1.

Speaking the truth bro.

unusedusername
09-10-2012, 12:29 PM

Green magazines?

I don't suppose you have a photo? That would be interesting to see.

tbhracing
09-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Tagged.

ap3572001
09-10-2012, 1:23 PM
Green magazines?

I don't suppose you have a photo? That would be interesting to see.

I will post pics later tonite. By green, I mean like dark green shade.

darkest2000
09-10-2012, 2:17 PM
I will post pics later tonite. By green, I mean like dark green shade.

Phosphate finish?

darkest2000
09-10-2012, 2:24 PM
A guy is trying to tell me that Sig never made magazines in Germany and used mec-far from the beginning. Am I crazy and are my made in Germany stamped Sig magazines from the 90's really mec-gars?

He is full of it. While it's true that Mec gar made magazines for SIG, they would've been marked made in Italy.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp51/darkest2000/yS8SDlcopy.jpg

Eddy's Shooting Sports
09-11-2012, 9:20 AM

I agree Mecgar makes great mags, but that generally has little to do with military purchasing decisions. They have a tendency to buy American whenever possible.

zfields
09-11-2012, 9:33 AM
I agree Mecgar makes great mags, but that generally has little to do with military purchasing decisions. They have a tendency to buy American whenever possible.

Or to basically force foreign companies to make US plants....not exactly "buying american" IMO.

Eddy's Shooting Sports
09-11-2012, 9:44 AM
Or to basically force foreign companies to make US plants....not exactly "buying american" IMO.

We're drifting off topic.

I think foreign manufacturers setting up shop in the US is a good thing. It provides jobs and economic stimulus. I'd rather buy a foreign brand made here than the anything from the endless stream of crap coming out of China.

Back to 226 mags, there is no reason why an American company couldn't make mags just as well as Mecgar. In this age of automated manufacturing, it just about design and setup. Then they just flow off the production line.

I think most manufacturers that shifted to Mecgar, did so more for economic advantage than quality. Mecgar makes magazines. Lot of them. That's it. So, they can do this more efficiently. They just happen to be good as well.

zfields
09-11-2012, 10:23 AM
We're drifting off topic.

I think foreign manufacturers setting up shop in the US is a good thing. It provides jobs and economic stimulus. I'd rather buy a foreign brand made here than the anything from the endless stream of crap coming out of China.

Back to 226 mags, there is no reason why an American company couldn't make mags just as well as Mecgar. In this age of automated manufacturing, it just about design and setup. Then they just flow off the production line.

I think most manufacturers that shifted to Mecgar, did so more for economic advantage than quality. Mecgar makes magazines. Lot of them. That's it. So, they can do this more efficiently. They just happen to be good as well.

You would think that, but promag, c-products, butler creek, tapco, and others STILL manage to put out completely craptastic mags for roughly the same price as others. It must just be a sprinkling of Italian magical fairy dust, but they sure seem to know what they are doing while lots of others cant seem to get there crap together.

I do agree though, its more then likely a economic advantage of contracting out to a company that already has the experience, equipment, and again, Italian magical fairy dust.

tbhracing
09-11-2012, 10:39 AM
FWIW: My old P226 magazine-http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/12/rady6ase.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/12/ugahahyj.jpg