PDA

View Full Version : Ed Brown Special Forces 1911 range report with pics

jcaoloveshine
09-09-2012, 6:20 PM
Took out the LNIB (only 16 rnds thru it when I bought it) EB SF to the range and ran a total of ~200 rounds through it between my friends and I.

The gun is accurate and extremely smooth. In fact, what stands out most about the EB is its smoothness. I have shot Wilsons, own a Les Baer TRS, and Nighthawks...this has to be the smoothest 1911 I've shot. I thought my TRS didn't recoil that much, but the Baer is even smoother.

This might be because of the Brown's 16lb recoil spring vs. the Baer's 18.5lb spring, but it recoils like a 9mm. Followup shots were easy...in fact my best group of the day (8 rounds into about a 1/2 inch CtC group at 8 yards) was done shooting fairly rapid fire. The stock cocobolo grips work well with the gun, and I'm a VZ type of guy. Still considering some VZ Aliens down the line.

The trigger is not as nice as my Baer, but then it might smoothen out a little more with use. The gun is well-fit, but not vault tight...I'm learning this is my preference.

The Gen3 finish and chainlink are very nice. I was skeptical about chainlink at first...but now I'm sold. It grips like it should without ripping your hands.

Browns have a great balance between aesthetics & functionality. While not being pure function like a Baer, it is not as "tacticooled" as a Wilson or Nighthawk.

Although it's a ~$2300 retail gun, you definitely get what you pay for. You can feel the quality from racking the gun to shooting it. Hurt my wallet a lot, but the pain is subsiding.

1. Mix of 22lr & 45ACP shots.

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/jycao/be75cd9a.jpg

2. Slide to frame fit. Exceptionally smooth.

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/jycao/5210e5c1.jpg

3. Fits perfectly in a Griffon Industries Kydex holster.

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/jycao/dc75c76f.jpg

4. Minimalist, tasteful roll marks.

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/jycao/4fca3631.jpg

WWDHD?
09-09-2012, 6:40 PM
That's a beauty. I like the machine work on it. You took good pics too.

InGrAM
09-09-2012, 6:56 PM
It looks awesome :tt1:
Ed Brown's are the cream of the crop as far as semi-custom 1911's go.

Riddler
09-09-2012, 7:02 PM
How long did it take for you to get your EB?

stormvet
09-09-2012, 7:03 PM
One of my favorite 1911s. Great gun.

jcaoloveshine
09-09-2012, 7:04 PM
Bought it LNIB from a good friend, so just the usual process. No idea what the wait is now for one straight from the shop...I imagine it's gotta be the usual 5-7 months.

Press Check
09-09-2012, 7:37 PM
Very nice pistol.

chozenfew805
09-09-2012, 7:48 PM
4. Minimalist, tasteful roll marks.
http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/jycao/4fca3631.jpg
:drool5:

The Gleam
09-09-2012, 9:19 PM
Awesome example of a straight-forward Ed Brown build. I held a Nighthawk next to an Ed Brown Carry and looking at the two, while both were amazing, the Ed Brown looked as if it was molded from one big chunk of steel; that is how well everything fit.

I keep wanting to pick up something from Ed Brown or Nighthawk, but every time I hit the store with that mindset, I bump into something that is a one-time chance to buy it (usually a rare C&R Colt or Smith) that is a once in a lifetime find, and if I don't buy it in that moment, someone else will.

Beautiful gun!!

mysak
09-09-2012, 9:27 PM
Very nice!

jessegpresley
09-09-2012, 9:29 PM
Glad you're enjoying your Ed Brown. I had one with a stainless slide and it was peening like crazy at the slide stop notch. Google it and you'll see it's common with Ed Browns with stainless slides. It's not supposed to be as much of a problem with carbon slides. It's the only gun I've ever sold. They recut the slide stop notch and someone got a really good price on an otherwise nice pistol. I enjoy my Nighthawk and my Wilson. Might buy another Brown again if it's a carbon slide like yours.

Cyc Wid It
09-09-2012, 9:35 PM
You should've just bought a Ruger amirite?

jcaoloveshine
09-09-2012, 9:48 PM

I'm gonna buy a Ruger 1911 and send it to Baer for some custom work...

Think he'll compromise? :D

hkdad
09-09-2012, 10:01 PM
nice!

jcaoloveshine
09-09-2012, 10:15 PM
Glad you're enjoying your Ed Brown. I had one with a stainless slide and it was peening like crazy at the slide stop notch. Google it and you'll see it's common with Ed Browns with stainless slides. It's not supposed to be as much of a problem with carbon slides. It's the only gun I've ever sold. They recut the slide stop notch and someone got a really good price on an otherwise nice pistol. I enjoy my Nighthawk and my Wilson. Might buy another Brown again if it's a carbon slide like yours.

Hm that's the first I've heard of it happening...interesting.

Could it be a universal thing with stainless slides?

I know their Kobra guns are stainless and the KC seems to be a great carry gun. When did it start peening? Would be interested in learning how something like this happens.

Ventura_Yak'r
09-10-2012, 7:34 AM
Congrats! Ed Brown's Special Forces is a fine 1911. Very well made and an absolute pleasure to shoot! My favorite in my little stable of 1911's.
Happy shooting!

teflondog
09-10-2012, 7:46 AM

I heard of that happening with a lot of Kobra Carry models. Some of the folks on the 1911 forum said that stoning the edge of the slide stop notch took care of the peening. If it were me, I would've sent it back to Brown for repair.

Browns are definitely smooth guns, but my experience tells me that Baer uses harder steel.

dc2integra
09-10-2012, 8:53 AM
Very nice every time I see a sweet 1911 it makes me want to buy one.

Q619
09-10-2012, 9:02 AM
Love my EB SF. I sold my Baer when I got it. Gun just feels better to me. Only other 1911 I shoot is a Wilson Combat CQB now. Both excellent guns.

hornswaggled
09-10-2012, 9:32 AM
How would you compare it to a Dan Wesson Valor (I've never held either, just curious for my first high-end 1911 purchase coming up).

jessegpresley
09-10-2012, 9:47 AM
If it were me, I would've sent it back to Brown for repair.

My post says that they recut the slide stop notch. I got to pay shipping both ways, and got a larger slide stop notch.

To the OP, I might suggest not using the slide stop to release the slide, and instead powerstroke/slingshot the slide instead. This will reduce wear on your slide stop notch.

jcaoloveshine
09-10-2012, 10:27 AM
How would you compare it to a Dan Wesson Valor (I've never held either, just curious for my first high-end 1911 purchase coming up).

Only DW I've handled is the Bobtail and it was nice. I really like DW's rollmarks, very classy and minimalistic.

The DWs are nice...but in their price range you might be better off going for a Baer that's handfit or ponying up another $500-600 and getting a Brown. Simply because the DW is a factory gun with an investment cast frame, while semicustoms have forged frames and usually only investment cast the smaller parts. They're all nice, but I feel for the $1700-1800 range of the DW you can buy a semicustom. I've even seen used EB SF 1911s going for $1600-2000.

None of the 3 have MIM parts as far as I know, so that's a plus.

The Brown might be all forged...not sure, but I do know EB's Hardcore parts are forged.

hornswaggled
09-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Only DW I've handled is the Bobtail and it was nice. I really like DW's rollmarks, very classy and minimalistic.

The DWs are nice...but in their price range you might be better off going for a Baer that's handfit or ponying up another $500-600 and getting a Brown. Simply because the DW is a factory gun with an investment cast frame, while semicustoms have forged frames and usually only investment cast the smaller parts. They're all nice, but I feel for the $1700-1800 range of the DW you can buy a semicustom. I've even seen used EB SF 1911s going for $1600-2000.

None of the 3 have MIM parts as far as I know, so that's a plus.

The Brown might be all forged...not sure, but I do know EB's Hardcore parts are forged.

Thanks for the info!

Cyc Wid It
09-10-2012, 2:54 PM
DW switched to forged (coinciding with the price hike 2010/2011 I forget).

Jeffu
09-11-2012, 2:03 AM
congrats Jerry

jonzer77
09-11-2012, 12:44 PM

Looks like he just wanted some panache at the range :rofl:

On a side note there is a Ed Brown Special Forces in the marketplace right now but the guy is in CT. If he ships it himself and you have a FFL with a low transfer fee you would save a lot of money if anyone else wants one.