PDA

View Full Version : CZ 75BD Range Report and Conclusion

MusicMatt
09-09-2012, 1:06 PM
Hey Everyone!

I went to the range yesterday to put some rounds through my new CZ 75BD. I also took our Sig Sp2022.

I have to say that the accuracy is as good as everyone says it is! It made me look way better than I actually am. You can easily fit a group inside the bullseye once you adjust to the sight picture.

Unfortunately, there wasn't much else that made me say, "This is why everyone wants one." Maybe I'm just not a CZ man, but here is some of the concerns I have as to why it may not be the 9mm for me.

1. The heaviness of the gun didn't seem to absorb recoil in any more noticeable of a way than my Sig. But it did make my arms tired after a few magazines.

2. Sight picture is small for me. I painted the dots a white/red combo to try to see better and it helped, but I still feel like I am struggling. I don't have the best of eyesight.

3.The little things are starting to add up. As I was cleaning both guns last night, there were so many little things I thought of and noticed. The slide is narrow and difficult to manage. You need a tool or the very strong fingers to strip it down. Aftermarket sights are limited and most need to be sent to CZ to install. No accessory rail. Magazines and other accessories are pricey.

So, I'm torn. I really want to love this gun and make it my own. But maybe it should go to someone who appreciates it and likes it for what it is. I'm not trying to bash CZ. There is enough evidence supporting they are high quality firearms.

I might be open to selling it trading for another 9mm. I like two-tone pistols and would be really interested in a FNP-9 two tone. I'm open to offers though.
I'm in Napa County.

Please, do not rant about how great CZ is and I'm stupid. I agree. They are great, but maybe not for me.

If you have suggestions to help me enjoy it more, I'm up for it.

elsolo
09-09-2012, 3:46 PM
1. Mass does not make force disappear, it just changes how it feels. Most all steel guns weight ~2 lbs.
2. Factory service pistol sights usually suck
3(a). I never had a hard time manipulating a CZ slide, but use a palm and four fingers rather than just your thumb and forefinger.
3(b). If "hard to strip" means your slide stop is difficult to remove, use a magazine baseplate to push it past the detent spring. It gets less tight.
3(c). Sights are more limited than 1911'a or Glocks, but there are plenty.
CZ custom shop competiton sights are my favorite, LPA makes some, Meprolight or Truglo makes tritium ones, etc.
3(d). Sights are no more difficult to install on a CZ than any other dovetailed pistol. Vice, hammer, drift and they slide right in/out.
3(e). They have a couple models with rails, you chose not to get one of those
3(f). Magazines are cheap, about $25 for factory MecGar. 10 rd mags of all sorts are pricier because they have such a small market.
3(g). What accessories are you looking for?

Bug Splat
09-09-2012, 3:47 PM
You have shot it once and you are already looking to get ride of it? Dude, give it some time.

zfields
09-09-2012, 3:49 PM
1. Mass does not make force disappear, it just changes how it feels. Most all steel guns weight ~2 lbs.
3(a). I never had a hard time manipulating a CZ slide, but use a palm and four fingers rather than just your thumb and forefinger.
3(b). If "hard to strip" means your slide stop is difficult to remove, use a magazine baseplate to push it past the detent spring. It gets less tight.
CZ custom shop competiton sights are my favorite, LPA makes some, Meprolight or Truglo makes tritium ones, etc.
3(d). Sights are no more difficult to install on a CZ than any other dovetailed pistol. Vice, hammer, drift and they slide right in/out.
3(f). Magazines are cheap, about $25 for factory MecGar. 10 rd mags of all sorts are pricier because they have such a small market.

Damn spot on.

No offence, but this and your last thread just sounds like you are looking for an issue. I'll be honest, the stock decocker models are nothing to write home about for a trigger, and I don't really like the "B" style frame without the upswept beavertail. Beyond that, The stock CZ sights I think are one of the better stock sights ( and yes, even the non tru dots ).

Euphoria526
09-09-2012, 5:50 PM

This. Pretty much nailed it on the head right here with this one.
Yeah the slide release just pops out with a shove from the mag.
I'd say at least break it in before you make a complete judgement from it. MY p01 just gets so much better the more i shoot it. You did choose a non railed version after all lol.

mbt
09-09-2012, 8:22 PM
See, I told u to get a Hi Point. It's never too late.

MusicMatt
09-09-2012, 8:33 PM
Good to hear that the slide stop does loosen up. I've heard different from other reviewers but I trust your opinion. That's why I'm here.

What would you consider to be the break in period for this gun?

I am not trying to rush to judgement, I am just finding that I am not having the same awesome response as when I purchased and fired my Sig the first time. Can be a little but of a let down after the all the build up.

I may not be as experienced as some shooters here, but I do know that gun sights are very subjective. One person may say those are great and another says they are terrible. Neither one is wrong. Thanks for the tips on some other sights I hadn't considered.

Thank you zfields for at least acknowledging that there may be some fault in the design of the pistol(trigger). Some people worship the ground the CZ walks upon and wouldn't dare say anything negative about it.

I plan on taking it to the range again by itself(without the Sig), and try not to compare the two.

zfields
09-09-2012, 8:40 PM
Thank you zfields for at least acknowledging that there may be some fault in the design of the pistol(trigger). Some people worship the ground the CZ walks upon and wouldn't dare say anything negative about it.

Considering my first one mini-kaboomed (out of spec chamber), I have no issue bringing up issues with guns. The trigger will smooth out some, but without some different parts (or some quality time with a stone), it won't be "great".

DeathByDoubleDip
09-09-2012, 11:21 PM
Damn, thanks for the posts, guys. I was considering a 75BD as a companion piece to my SP01 since I'm a lefty, but I didn't realize the trigger would be worse than what I have now (or so it sounds).

CZ9
09-10-2012, 8:40 AM
Actually when I first got my 75bd I didn't like my groups and wanted to get a trigger job because I was unhappy. But after a while I got used to it and now I freaking love my cz. The trigger has smoothed out and I can shoot it very accurately

HPGunner
09-10-2012, 8:53 AM
The double action trigger on CZ's smooth out after you put through a bunch of rounds. The sights on CZ's are no different than any other typical 3 dot sights on many other service pistols. All these issues the OP stated are simple fixes that a CZ gunsmith can easily tailor to the shooter's preference. These aren't deal breakers that would take away from the CZ's quality, toughness, reliability, and ergos.

snafu510
09-10-2012, 2:43 PM
Another tip on disassembly: put the hammer at the half cock notch (where it allows the safety to be engaged, but with the safety off). The slide will just contact the hammer at the point the marks on the slide/frame line up. This makes it much easier to keep the marks aligned while you push the slide stop out with the magazine base.

I don't know if this was in the instructions. I didn't read them.

willerfortheworld
09-10-2012, 5:23 PM
I was first worried about the slide being on the small side cuz I'm 6 foot 3 with huge hands, but after you spend some time with it you dont'even notice it. I can rack/ manipulate my p-01 in the dark blinde folded with my hands tied behind my back. Well you get the picture. Im saving up for some good night sights, and as far as your other concerns, elsolo nailed it. I'm no Czech fanboi, but they do make some high quality handguns for sure. The more quality time you spend with your Cz the more quality you will see in it.

prushman
09-11-2012, 5:24 AM
I also own a CZ 75bd. I love it. I bought mags on e-bay from Joes Pawn. I have gotten them for as little as $38/per 2 10 round mags. I just bought a CZ 97b which is a super sweet 45 cal. It is a little heavy but dead on shooter. I put 8 of 10 on a 6" from 10yards with my first mag. It just keeps getting better with use. CZ makes top quality pistols for a great price. I paid $462 for my 75bd from CZ USA and $591 for my CZ 97b from Buds Guns.

Rorge Retson
09-11-2012, 7:28 AM
I agree with all of your observations. And I still would not part with my CZ. Why? Well, put simply, it feels like sex in my hand. No handgun before or since has felt as right for me as the CZ.

I have the SP-01 with TRU GLO night sights, and even those are kind of narrow to be quickly acquiring a sight picture with. Also, the trigger leaves a lot to be desired, so I've purchased a CGW trigger kit for it, just waiting to install it.

Once new sights and a new trigger are installed, I anticipate the pistol being even more to my liking than it already is. :)

zfields
09-11-2012, 7:57 AM
Hope you picked up springs also.

J.D.Allen
09-11-2012, 8:07 AM
If you want a CZ, don't get a BD. If you want DA/SA, get a Sig.

elsolo
09-11-2012, 11:22 AM
I would agree, don't get a decocker, the trigger has less potential
There is nothing wrong with the DA/SA CZ's (forget DAO, and decockers)
SA only is my favorite, but you can get a DA/SA pretty damned good.

Czsp-01-9mm
09-18-2012, 1:33 PM
Don't matter anymore he is selling it, poor gun is gonna be a foster child

MusicMatt
09-19-2012, 7:54 AM
Only gonna let it go for the absolute perfect deal. It has been growing on me the last few weeks. I'm gonna be happy either way. Most people like to tinker and customize their CZ with trigger jobs, etc. I'm just not that guy. So, if it came down to it, I'd rather someone have it who will truly appreciate it.

JNunez23
09-19-2012, 8:00 AM
I respectfully disagree with the entire statement! ;)

Only thing I agree with is you MIGHT need a tool to take the pistol down, that is all.

POINTMANDDT
09-19-2012, 8:59 AM
If you want a CZ, don't get a BD. If you want DA/SA, get a Sig.

^^^^;)

He should have taken the advice here, now he is selling it.

Rorge Retson
09-19-2012, 9:23 AM
Only gonna let it go for the absolute perfect deal. It has been growing on me the last few weeks. I'm gonna be happy either way. Most people like to tinker and customize their CZ with trigger jobs, etc. I'm just not that guy. So, if it came down to it, I'd rather someone have it who will truly appreciate it.

Well, maybe it's time to become that guy. So don't tinker - send it in to Cajun Gun Works and have them work their magic.

Seriously, if you don't do that, you have no idea what you will be giving up.

zfields
09-19-2012, 9:26 AM
^^^^;)

Funny...I have no issue with my decocker model....

Euphoria526
09-19-2012, 11:14 AM
^^^^;)

I also have no issues with my p01 decocker. In fact the da is even smoother than some sig's that I've shot. And the SA is a dream with the reset.

Lead Waster
09-19-2012, 11:34 AM
I would agree, don't get a decocker, the trigger has less potential
There is nothing wrong with the DA/SA CZ's (forget DAO, and decockers)
SA only is my favorite, but you can get a DA/SA pretty damned good.

Well, if you want to shoot production class in USPSA, the decocker is handy so that you don't have to manually decock the gun.

Also some people are more comfortable with DA.

PerfectReset
09-19-2012, 6:19 PM
Hey Everyone!

I went to the range yesterday to put some rounds through my new CZ 75BD. I also took our Sig Sp2022.

I have to say that the accuracy is as good as everyone says it is! It made me look way better than I actually am. You can easily fit a group inside the bullseye once you adjust to the sight picture.

Unfortunately, there wasn't much else that made me say, "This is why everyone wants one." Maybe I'm just not a CZ man, but here is some of the concerns I have as to why it may not be the 9mm for me.

1. The heaviness of the gun didn't seem to absorb recoil in any more noticeable of a way than my Sig. But it did make my arms tired after a few magazines.

2. Sight picture is small for me. I painted the dots a white/red combo to try to see better and it helped, but I still feel like I am struggling. I don't have the best of eyesight.

3.The little things are starting to add up. As I was cleaning both guns last night, there were so many little things I thought of and noticed. The slide is narrow and difficult to manage. You need a tool or the very strong fingers to strip it down. Aftermarket sights are limited and most need to be sent to CZ to install. No accessory rail. Magazines and other accessories are pricey.

So, I'm torn. I really want to love this gun and make it my own. But maybe it should go to someone who appreciates it and likes it for what it is. I'm not trying to bash CZ. There is enough evidence supporting they are high quality firearms.

I might be open to selling it trading for another 9mm. I like two-tone pistols and would be really interested in a FNP-9 two tone. I'm open to offers though.
I'm in Napa County.

Please, do not rant about how great CZ is and I'm stupid. I agree. They are great, but maybe not for me.

I felt similar when I purchased and put about 300rds through a CZ 75 P01 9mm DA/SA... It was supposed to be my go to gun, I was SO excited, and had even rented one and liked it after about 30 rounds indoors at 7 yards. After purchasing, I was not enjoying it it at 15 yards in an outdoor range particularly due to the sights and size. The trigger shape/sharpness was hurting my finger after 50 rounds, I didn't like the sights, the double action was rough leaving a lot to be desired, and in the compact/P01 the SA was too small for my larger hands. The P01 felt like it had more recoil than my Glock 19, which seems contrary to expectation... I sold it and am SPF on a CZ 75B SA in .40 just as a safe queen in my collection that I will shoot occasionally. Definitely like the trigger a lot better.

Euphoria526
09-20-2012, 7:04 AM
I felt similar when I purchased and put about 300rds through a CZ 75 P01 9mm DA/SA... It was supposed to be my go to gun, I was SO excited, and had even rented one and liked it after about 30 rounds indoors at 7 yards. After purchasing, I was not enjoying it it at 15 yards in an outdoor range particularly due to the sights and size. The trigger shape/sharpness was hurting my finger after 50 rounds, I didn't like the sights, the double action was rough leaving a lot to be desired, and in the compact/P01 the SA was too small for my larger hands. The P01 felt lie it had more recoil than my Glock 19, which seems contrary to expectation... I sold it and am SPF on a CZ 75B SA in .40 just as a safe queen in my collection that I will shoot occasionally. Definitely like the trigger a lot better.

Did you even give a chance to break in. It doesnt sound like it. I could complain about the one I bought compared to rented, but the rentals are usually broken in unkempt beasts or just broken. I knew my p01 wasn't goin to be tits out the box. That's half the fun of a new gun, breaking in and marrying the parts together. I've had prob about 2000 rounds now through my gun, only stripped and oiled once for fun. My SA in 40 is accurate as hell and i do like the trigger better, but my p01 is my go to/match gun and at this point the triggers feel similar enough to pick up either one and shoot pretty damn well.
And there is NO way in all hell that your cz shot like a glock. Glocks have more perceived recoil in my experience.

Rorge Retson
09-20-2012, 8:31 AM
And there is NO way in all hell that your cz shot like a glock. Glocks have more perceived recoil in my experience.

I'm with you. I found out recently that the faster I shoot with my SP-01, the more accurate I am. This got me scolded at the local indoor range, so I backed off to 1-shot-per-second, then slowly speeding up again. I figure I'll speed up until they chastise me one more time, then back it off a notch. :D

Point being, follow-up shooting with the CZ is just dreamy. ;)

Euphoria526
09-20-2012, 9:05 AM
^^
My point exactly. I can shoot as fast as I want at my range. Lol. They usually just like to know who's doing it and observe lol. They always give me tips. But agreed. The faster I shoot the more accurate I can be at times

Rorge Retson
09-20-2012, 10:54 AM
^^
My point exactly. I can shoot as fast as I want at my range. Lol. They usually just like to know who's doing it and observe lol. They always give me tips. But agreed. The faster I shoot the more accurate I can be at times

Versus what happens with my XD pistols. Despite their relative tameness, I am not nearly as confident on follow-up shots with them.

PerfectReset
09-20-2012, 6:49 PM
Did you even give a chance to break in. It doesnt sound like it. I could complain about the one I bought compared to rented, but the rentals are usually broken in unkempt beasts or just broken. I knew my p01 wasn't goin to be tits out the box. That's half the fun of a new gun, breaking in and marrying the parts together. I've had prob about 2000 rounds now through my gun, only stripped and oiled once for fun. My SA in 40 is accurate as hell and i do like the trigger better, but my p01 is my go to/match gun and at this point the triggers feel similar enough to pick up either one and shoot pretty damn well.

...I don't think breaking it in is going to eliminate the gritty DA trigger pull, make the trigger sit further forward during SA, or re-shape the trigger from a rough curve into something easy on the finger. Did you even read what I wrote? And you are right, there is "NO way in all hell" the PO1 shot like a Glock... otherwise I would have kept it ;) Not sure how 2k rounds through a CZ makes you an expert, and obviously "perceived recoil" is subjective.

ceasefire15
09-21-2012, 7:24 PM
My cz75 sp01is my favorite pistol. It works well for me and the ergonomics is great. It is well balanced and great to shoot. OP should rethink about selling it. It's a great pistol! Reconsider, reconsider!

dougd1015
09-22-2012, 4:42 AM
There are great pistols but not for some people like you so buy something else.

GuillermoAntonio
09-22-2012, 5:03 PM
Hey Everyone!

I'm in Napa County.

i think you just dont deserve a CZ.
Please throw it away, Pm to follow with the perfect adress to throw it away at. ;)