PDA

View Full Version : Buds Gunshop SSE MAC-10 (evil evil evil)

DiscoBayJoe
09-09-2012, 10:24 AM
I find this very interesting!

Ok, I know it's not a MAC10, but it's close! It *almost* includes the shoulder thing that goes up.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/896/products_id/411550638/Handguns/Masterpiece+Arms/MPA%20DFNDR%209%20MINI%203.5%20TB%20GR%20CA/

"CA Approved Model, comes with dummy magazine"

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/411550638.jpg

I know Buds has historically been pretty conservative with CA issues. I guess they are good with this because MPA labled it a CA model and it shipped from MPA unmodified as SSE?

Oldnoob
09-09-2012, 11:16 AM
I'm still wondering how the whole mac 10 in Californian works??

I know it can be done by selling it as a single shot gun and fake mags. But I asked a employee at my local gun range and he said that once you put a regular mag in it "'re build kit" its no longer a single shot so its illeagle??

why does Californian gun laws hurt my brain??

Your lgs clerk has no idea what he/she's talking about.

GunDog
09-09-2012, 11:44 AM
Your lgs clerk has no idea what he/she's talking about.

^
This. Read the above flowcharts for the straight scoop.

Chameleon Loco
09-09-2012, 12:00 PM
I would purchase one but I am not 21 yet? Do these pistols require a bb?

Write Winger
09-09-2012, 12:05 PM
I was under the impression Buds didn't do SSE stuff to CA. If that's changed, I'd like to know.

Cyc Wid It
09-09-2012, 2:19 PM
I would purchase one but I am not 21 yet? Do these pistols require a bb?

Yes. Please read the flowchart.

0351USMC
09-09-2012, 2:26 PM
Yes. Please read the flowchart.
are you sure about BB on MPA??
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=615350
seller is selling MPA with exteded mag release:confused:

peterabbits
09-09-2012, 2:38 PM
You should not need a bullet button as magazine is housed inside the pistol grip. Maybe to run with the fake suppressor you need it (barrel shroud?)?

Edit - threaded barrel so mag lock required. Oops!

emsalex
09-09-2012, 2:57 PM
I'm still wondering how the whole mac 10 in Californian works??

I know it can be done by selling it as a single shot gun and fake mags. But I asked a employee at my local gun range and he said that once you put a regular mag in it "'re build kit" its no longer a single shot so its illeagle??

why does Californian gun laws hurt my brain??

There's your problem,

I would not bother with buds. Go with someone who really supports CA and are not arrogant A-hole in open and public forums. Nor would I get it with the stoner smoke skulls.

Justin Case
09-09-2012, 3:04 PM
You should not need a bullet button as magazine is housed inside the pistol grip. Maybe to run with the fake suppressor you need it (barrel shroud?)?

No, pistols w/ threaded barrels are illegal in CA. If the fake can is permanently attached, it is legal w/o a BB. If the fake can is not permanently attached, Bud's is f'n up.

CSACANNONEER
09-09-2012, 3:16 PM

The barrel extention does not surrond the barrel (except at the point of attachment) so, how can you call it a "barrel shroud"? Also, the threads can eaily be removed or a muzzle device installed in such a way that the threads are no longer relevent. Red Lock-tite, silver solder, pinning, etc. (note, this doesn't have to conform with what ATF requires for permanancy but, it is a good idea).

SoCal Gunner
09-09-2012, 3:21 PM
This stuff makes my head hurt... subscribing just to educate myself.

Oh, and "Paging Librarian"

CSACANNONEER
09-09-2012, 3:26 PM
No, pistols w/ threaded barrels are illegal in CA. If the fake can is permanently attached, it is legal w/o a BB. If the fake can is not permanently attached, Bud's is f'n up.

WOW, you really need to learn the laws before you try to tell people what is or isn't legal. Threaded barrels are legal on all handguns in Ca except, semi auto handguns with detachable magazines. Bud's is NOT f'n up if they are sending it out as a single shot. You really need to study more before you're promoted to tutor.

DIRTMAN556
09-09-2012, 3:52 PM
Turner's sells the Masterpiece Arms "MAC 10" as a single shot. Try there first. After you buy it as a SSA. You can convert it back.

Quiet
09-09-2012, 5:44 PM
I was under the impression Buds didn't do SSE stuff to CA. If that's changed, I'd like to know.

Bud's Gunshop does not do SSE, they are selling factory (MPA) made SSE.

johnny1290
09-09-2012, 9:09 PM
I had one I got from ammo bros. Its for showing off. mine was sse, no bb, barrel shroud pinned and welded.

If you like a big heavy pistol with the ergonomics of a brick and crude sites, then you got it.

I ll buy a class 3 when I move to freedom. I really didn't like it without a stock.

Man it really was great about ammo though. it wasn't picky at all, really ate anything I came up with.

wikidklown
09-09-2012, 9:27 PM

Yes, they've changed. I bought a MPA30, top cocker as SSE sent to my FFL in Sunnyvale. Only drawback is they did not send the mag with it. It came with a SSE sled and a MPA bullet button(used in their CA compliant MPA.
After I took possesion, I converted it back to semiauto and a functional mag release.
My cost was $416.00 shipped to my FFL. So, go ahead and order up and have it sent to an FFL that will accept SSE purchase. Hope that helps.

Cyc Wid It
09-09-2012, 10:36 PM
OK let me rephrase. It depends on the specific configuration of your particular gun, as has been covered. Buds still doesn't exempt or even ship "normal" off roster pistols AFAIK. Let me know if it changes...

peterabbits
09-09-2012, 10:47 PM
OK let me rephrase. It depends on the specific configuration of your particular gun, as has been covered. Buds still doesn't exempt or even ship "normal" off roster pistols AFAIK. Let me know if it changes...

You and I were on the same page. With the threaded barrel and Not permanently attached fake suppressor, to modify from single shot you would need the bullet button. To avoid the bullet button, threads would have to be removed or something would need to be permanently attached.

Justin Case
09-09-2012, 11:27 PM
WOW, you really need to learn the laws before you try to tell people what is or isn't legal. Threaded barrels are legal on all handguns in Ca except, semi auto handguns with detachable magazines. Bud's is NOT f'n up if they are sending it out as a single shot. You really need to study more before you're promoted to tutor.

Why don't you be a sht about it?

In the case presented, a Mac clone, brought in on SSE for the purpose of converting to semi-auto magazine-fed, please tell me where I am wrong.

BTW: I said pistol, not handgun. Why don't you get it right before correcting someone. Or just be an a...fill in the blank.

Quiet
09-10-2012, 6:50 AM

In the case presented, a Mac clone, brought in on SSE for the purpose of converting to semi-auto magazine-fed, please tell me where I am wrong.

BTW: I said pistol, not handgun. Why don't you get it right before correcting someone. Or just be an a...fill in the blank.

Eh?

Bud's Gunshop is selling a factory made single-shot pistol.
They are not doing the single-shot modification, the manufacturer is.

In order to qualify for the single-shot pistol exemption to the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale, the single-shot pistol needs a barrel length of 6" or greater and an overall length of 10.5" or greater.

Modifications to the barrel length & overall length so that they meet the minimum requirements do not have to be permanent.

Under CA laws, a single-shot pistol can legally have a threaded barrel.

Therefore, it is legal for a CA FFL dealer to transfer a dimensionally compliant single-shot pistol with a threaded barrel.

It is the responsibility of the buyer to make a single-shot pistol compliant with CA's assault weapons laws, if the single-shot pistol is modified into a semi-auto pistol.

Therefore, if the single-shot pistol is modified into a semi-auto pistol, the buyer/owner of the single-shot pistol is the person that legally needs to remove the threaded barrel or permanently attach a muzzle device or make it operate from a fixed 10 round or less magazine.

CSACANNONEER
09-10-2012, 7:17 AM

OK, you were wrong here:

You made a blanket statement that was wrong. PISTOLS with threaded barrels are only illegal if: 1) They are not RAWs, 2) If they meet the requirements of being a semi auto pistol with a detachable magazine.

You statement will lead many people astray. There are many PISTOLS which are NOT SEMI AUTO and/or DO NOT have detachable magazines. If you are only talking about one cetain pistol, you should clarify that instead of infering that ALL are illegal.

BTW, it appears that you have a different definition of "pistol" than the law, the industry at large or even a dictionary. So, what is YOUR definition of "pistol"? Is a TC Contender a pistol? How about a muzzle loader? Or, maybe a XP100? Is the COP I just bought a pistol by your definition? Is my Mossberg Brownie? My Sharpes pepperbox? I would think that all derringers would be pistols by most poeple's definition. How about yours?

Now, if you ment to say that the gun in question could be reconfigured to be illegal with a threaded barrel, you'ld be correct. But, you did not say or even infer that.:p

Oceanbob
09-10-2012, 7:30 AM
MACs (california legal) are a serious POS.

I guess if you like standing naked at 3AM in front of a full length mirror wearing a studded Jock Strap and mirrored sunglasses, holding that heavy sheetmetal POS and quoting lines from TaxiDriver...then a MAC is your gun.

JMO

zman
09-10-2012, 7:31 AM
I find this very interesting!

Ok, I know it's not a MAC10, but it's close! It *almost* includes the shoulder thing that goes up.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/896/products_id/411550638/Handguns/Masterpiece+Arms/MPA%20DFNDR%209%20MINI%203.5%20TB%20GR%20CA/

Riflegear has this particular model in stock....
http://www.riflegear.com/p-1501-masterpiece-arms-9mm-top-cocking-grim-reaper-pistol.aspx

I got a side-cocker a few years back from Direct Action Solutions.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/zandrolouie/Guns/MPA9mm.jpg

M_lizar
09-10-2012, 8:11 AM
Saw the same gun at rifle gear.

Apec
09-10-2012, 8:35 AM
I saw one of those at my LGS. Exact same gun.

The Gleam
09-10-2012, 9:54 AM
MACs (california legal) are a serious POS.

I guess if you like standing naked at 3AM in front of a full length mirror wearing a studded Jock Strap and mirrored sunglasses, holding that heavy sheetmetal POS and quoting lines from TaxiDriver...then a MAC is your gun.

JMO

I understand the conotation of your comparison to the mentality of owning one versus a more practical pistol, as they are "tacti-cool" or such, and the iron sights are about as good as using your thumb. Very Miami Vice. It would be more logical to buy a Glock or Ruger at such a price. Yet, sometimes a gun is just fun.

However, the MAC influenced pistols coming out of Masterpiece Arms are very well made, good material, and good tolerances and far from being a POS. I currently own 2 firearms from MPA, and they are very well done. I've had original Ingram MAC-10s and MAC-11s back in the day (1980's) and yes, many of those were quite crude, even though the many that I had were reliable (or I made them reliable).

Granted, those from MPA fire from a closed bolt, so they are not true MACs so it could be why they are more reliable, more accurate.

But those from MPAs will shoot anything you load them with, and they are built like a tank (treu, about as heavy as one too). Decently priced, Made in USA, rugged and durable, will use M3 or Sten mags; there is little to not like about them.

There is more than one Les Baer, Colt National Match, Jim Boland customs, Colt Python, or Performance Center Smiths, etc., sharing the same space as my firearms from MPA. :)

CSACANNONEER
09-11-2012, 2:32 PM

BTW, I did "get it right" and showed that your narrowminded minded definition of "pistol" is apparently not inclusive of most types of "pistols" per legal, dictionary and industry definitions. You've logged on and read my previous responce and seem to have gone into hiding instead of admitting that you did NOT "get it right" in the first place. So, before being an ........, maybe YOU need to "get it right" before correcting someone. Or, at the least, be a man and openly admit when you are wrong.

SNCaliber
09-11-2012, 2:37 PM
I've seen this exact model at Ammo Bros in Cerritos so they do make a CA legal version

JayBeeJay
09-11-2012, 2:40 PM
Wow at all the FUD floating around :no:

winnre
09-11-2012, 2:40 PM
$519 at Turners, $469 at Riflegear.

12voltguy
09-11-2012, 3:32 PM
BTW, I did "get it right" and showed that your narrowminded minded definition of "pistol" is apparently not inclusive of most types of "pistols" per legal, dictionary and industry definitions. You've logged on and read my previous responce and seem to have gone into hiding instead of admitting that you did NOT "get it right" in the first place. So, before being an ........, maybe YOU need to "get it right" before correcting someone. Or, at the least, be a man and openly admit when you are wrong.

:D:D:D

ok ok you win;)

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png

CSACANNONEER
09-11-2012, 3:41 PM
:D:D:D

ok ok you win;)

If he's going to publically call me out, he can be a man, stand up and publically admit his mistake.

12voltguy
09-11-2012, 5:39 PM
If he's going to publically call me out, he can be a man, stand up and publically admit his mistake.

you have been here long enough to know that won't happen;)

jeffxbr
09-23-2012, 4:39 PM
Riflegear has this particular model in stock....
http://www.riflegear.com/p-1501-masterpiece-arms-9mm-top-cocking-grim-reaper-pistol.aspx

I got a side-cocker a few years back from Direct Action Solutions.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/zandrolouie/Guns/MPA9mm.jpg

Awesome people at rifle gear.
I bought my masterpiece grim reaper from them.
I had to walk out the door with it when I bought it as a single shot. Then walk back in the store and they were nice enough to ad the magazine release for free.
I had a 30rd sten mags that I owned before the ban.
I was happy to hear that I could use it with my new masterpiece.

Rifle gear had the best selection and prices