View Full Version : Mossberg 500 Cruiser/Persuader Question

09-09-2012, 12:17 AM
I have a Mossberg 500 Cruiser/Persuader and I am having some rust issues with the bolt, so I am just planing on buy a whole new complete bolt, but have no clue where to but a complete bolt from, can any of you point me in the right direction please, thanks in advance.

09-13-2012, 7:25 PM
any help on this would be nice, thanks

09-13-2012, 7:34 PM

They have the bolts. However, have you've considered to just re-blue it? It's really not that hard to re-blue it and its probably cheaper too.

^ My brother uses this to touch up on parts.

09-13-2012, 7:49 PM
I believe MidwayUSA has some bolts. A good way to prevent rust is to add a small layer of oil to your bolt every now and then. If the bolt looks dry, add an even coat of oil to it. It doesn't have to be a lot, just a nice layer.

If you want to re-blue your bolt, Birchwood Casey makes a nice home bluing kit. It doesn't last forever, but it last a good amount of time.

Your bolt is already worked into your receiver so these two options would be a great option.

Dozen Gauge
09-13-2012, 8:29 PM
If you have to have "new" and can't find a factory bolt the Maverick 88 shotgun is a Mossberg clone and I believe its bolt will work in the 500. You may be able to find a new one of those.

gunbroker.com and gunauction.com have used 500 bolt's in auction.

09-13-2012, 9:30 PM
the problem im having is breaking the bolt down, i know how to break it down except the pin that holds the block in wont come out ive tried using a punch with a small hammer, but no luck.

Dozen Gauge
09-13-2012, 9:41 PM
Soak the bolt in WD40 or similar overnight. After soaking apply heat with heat gun or hair dryer, then lightly tap around the area with a plastic mallet. Repeat if necessary.

How did the bolt get in such terrible condition?:eek:

09-13-2012, 9:51 PM
To tell you the truth, I have no idea, have always cleaned it right after using it, a day later at the most, I keep it oiled in a gun sock in my safe, If you were to just look at it it doesn't look bad at all, i've got most of the rust out of it using Q-tips and pipe cleaners, just want to get in there and really clean it up, but if I can't do that, then ill just end up buy a new one, oh and it still fires just fine. thanks for the idea, ill give the WD40 a try.

09-14-2012, 12:09 AM
If the rust is simply on the external areas you can just dip some re-bluing dye on there and you won't have to worry about it ever again.

09-14-2012, 1:34 AM
the rust I was having a problem with wasn't external, in fact the only area on the entire gun with rust was around the firing pin and firing pin spring, which is weird considering that isn't a spot of rust anywhere else, but like i said in an earlier post i have gotten most of the rust out but i would really like to talk down the bolt and give it a really good cleaning maybe even replace the firing pin and firing pin spring, or even replace the entire bolt with a stainless steel bolt.