PDA

View Full Version : 17 round magazine not compatable with CA Ruger SR9c

Calzona
09-08-2012, 6:58 PM
I spend time in both California as well as Arizona. While in Arizona I bought two 17 round SR9 magazines for my SR9C. The salesman assured me they would work and showed me by loading the magazine into their show model.

When I went tI shoot with the magazine it wouldn't lock into the gun, but my 10 roUnd magazines worked fine.

Is the CA SR9C set to never accept the larger magazines. I noticed the 17 round magazines have a notch in them that the 10 round does nOt have. Could this be doing it? Can I fix it somehow?

SilverTauron
09-08-2012, 7:05 PM
When I owned an SR9 full size with the 17 round mags,I occasionally had trouble inserting them when they are fully loaded. The only way they'd lock in place out of the box is if the slide was to the rear, otherwise they'd bounce out of the gun without locking in due to the spring tension. As time went on and I used the mags at the range the problem went away, although I still needed to slam the mag home with authority when reloading on a closed slide. Id chalk it up to spring tension with the new mags, because as far as I know the frames and mag releases are identical between the California and non-CA versions.

09-08-2012, 7:09 PM
I would agree with the above comment.
Try breaking in the mag by leaving it filled to capcity over night or maybe even a week. It may help some.

tuna quesadilla
09-08-2012, 7:24 PM
As posted above.

I was at a pistol class last week and I had expressed interest in a fellow student's SR9c, so when the class was over and the instructor let us have some free range time for a bit the student handed me his SR9c and a full mag.

I inserted the mag, racked the slide, got into my stance, squeezed the trigger... click.

Did a tap/rack/bang, squeezed the trigger... click.

Went "WTF?" did a press check and the chamber was empty. Turns out the magazine spring was SO STIFF that it wouldn't properly seat unless you SLAMMED the sum***** home.

Calzona
09-08-2012, 8:46 PM
I'll give it a shot. Thanks!!

Munk
09-08-2012, 8:52 PM
I've had this issue with brand new mags in my beretta. Try loading it with 16 instead of 17 rounds.

My new mags were so tight on the EXACTLY 10 round capacity, that the 10th had no wiggle room to get into position. This meant that if I loaded a full mag into my gun while the slide was forward, it didn't go in and fully seat unless I slammed it home hard. However, like another poster said, if I were to have the slide in the locked-open position, I could easily insert the mag, send the slide home, and it would peel off a cartridge without issue.

babe
09-08-2012, 8:58 PM
I'm worried. Is this a new member posting about committing a crime on calguns? Importing and using illegal magazines? Troll? I guess it could be interpreted as completely legal Arizona shooting, but since this is a CALIFORNIA guns site.......I would delete this thread ASAP and take a gooood look at the person posting. :(

unusedusername
09-08-2012, 9:02 PM
I'm assuming that the OP is doing all this while not in CA as the OP stated that he/she spends time in both states.

Buying a magazine in AZ isn't illegal, and neither is using a 17 rounder in AZ in a firearm purchased in CA.

Now if the OP admitted to doing something completely illegal like bringing a 17 rounder into CA then things would be different...

Saym14
09-08-2012, 9:39 PM
I'll give it a shot. Thanks!!

does the mag lock in when empty ? half full>? slide locked back ?

dfletcher
09-08-2012, 10:45 PM
I'm worried. Is this a new member posting about committing a crime on calguns? Importing and using illegal magazines? Troll? I guess it could be interpreted as completely legal Arizona shooting, but since this is a CALIFORNIA guns site.......I would delete this thread ASAP and take a gooood look at the person posting. :(

I'm not worried. I wouldn't bother or know how to "take a good look" at the guy posting. I'd presume he's happily blasting away in AZ. There are lots of out of state folks posting here. I read their posts as honest and law abiding and a reminder of how things should be here.

johnny_boy02
09-08-2012, 10:55 PM

Your tinfoil hat is a bit tight.

ZombieTactics
09-09-2012, 8:36 AM
I have a few 17-round kits for my SR9s which get assembled out-of-state, and disassembled before coming back into CA. Yes, it's a giant hassle, when I have plenty of legally-owned, pre-ban 15, 17 and 33 round mags for my Glocks. Seems silly, and it is.

I had initial issues with the 17 round Ruger mags, but as others have noted ... they work fine once you run a few through them.

Merc1138
09-09-2012, 8:39 AM

Ugh, why do so many people just get paranoid without understanding what's going on...

Go back and re-read the first sentence of the OP's post. He said nothing about using 17 round magazines in CA, and even if he did there are people who can walk into stores and buy them here. Don't assume someone is a criminal just because you can't understand what's happening.

Sky_DiveR
09-09-2012, 8:44 AM
Yes, even in this state you are presumed innocent until proven guilty. This fact has been mostly forgotten.

Ed_Hazard
09-09-2012, 8:47 AM
"While in ARIZONA," :TFH: :D

Mossy Man
09-09-2012, 10:01 AM
the funny thing is that if you were actually concerned about the TS doing something illegal and his well being, a PM would be much more appropriate.

Calzona
09-09-2012, 8:46 PM
Indeed, I am only using the 17 round mags while in AZ. I don't even disassemble them to bring them back here. They stay in AZ.

I'll update if I can get them to work next time I am at the range.

JxPakman
09-10-2012, 12:47 AM
So sr9 mags do work in the sr9c? Even the normal sized ca legal 10rounders?

emsalex
09-10-2012, 12:51 AM
Ugh, why do so many people just get paranoid without understanding what's going on...

Go back and re-read the first sentence of the OP's post. He said nothing about using 17 round magazines in CA, and even if he did there are people who can walk into stores and buy them here. Don't assume someone is a criminal just because you can't understand what's happening.

Beautiful, simply beautiful.