sidious
09-08-2012, 11:23 AM
Found this on the web and thought I'd repost:

Kirkwannabe1
(7/19/02 11:44:42 pm)
skeet to sporting
------------------------------------
"Skeet shooting requires no real shotgunning skills - its mostly mental"
"Sporting Clays is for those guys that can't run 100, or pay attention to what they're doing"
"Trap is like shooting low 7, over and over and over..."
"Skeet is always the same..always the same boring targets"
"Sporting is skeet with trees and whiny people"
"You use a hoop?"
"Only skeet and trap shooters have ever made the US Olympic team"

It goes on and on and on......

I personally think the argument of skeet vs. sporting clays is a bit silly. I enjoy shooting skeet, so that's the game I play. Those that know me personally know that I have come to the realization that it is not how many targets one hits or misses, rather the fun one has shooting with his friends, and the challenge of "debugging" the shots we miss. Yes, it MAY be true that for some the game of skeet is boring. I don't believe I'll ever get bored of it. I've been shooting this game seriously for 5 years and feel that I am still learning with each shot I take, each time I step on the pad. If the ultimate goal of any activity is just to "win it all", one may never find satisfaction in this life, nor realize the journey is vastly more important. There are a few I can think of who can play any shotgun game and it seems they have found the "fun" in all the games - Kuykendall, Fowler, the Murray clan come to mind.

While I'm not going to paint a broad brush and try and put us all in the same box, I will make a few observations:

1.) Whatever shotgun game one shoots, I'm sure most of you must admit that IT IS ADDICTING!

2.) We all complain about the rules, a bad call or pull, but we all realize it comes out in the wash (i.e., we lose a couple we should of had, and a few go our way we didn't deserve)

3.) The newer shooters tend to be a bit harder on themselves and the older shooters just smile and come up with the best excuses.

4.) Skeet shooters tend not to shoot other games because they are afraid they will screw up their skeet game, while sporting clays shooters are always practicing on the skeet fields (now I know why I never get my practice rounds in). My guess is that either skeet is not all that boring to sporting shooters, or they just want to keep us skeeters off of OUR fields and from attaining perfection (just kidding about that one).

5.) A little luck and a lot of practice goes a long way.

6.) Some days it just ain't your day

7.) When we're stuck away from the course or range, we dream about being there..or at least we load shells for the next opportunity.

8.) The first time you broke the "rabbit"off the hop, or smoked a high 2, ran the 5-stand , or ran 25 on the skeet field...it felt pretty darn COOL (that's satisfying for you old codgers)!

9.) Its equally impressive to see someone run 100 in sporting or 100 on a windy day with the 410 in skeet.

As you can hopefully see through my eyes, we are not all that different. Now I'll go back and complain about that low 6 that kept me out of a shoot-off, and work on getting that next boring (?) 25 straight in the rain. Bust 'em up...but most of all JUST HAVE FUN! See you on the skeet field...

Good & safe shooting (and shoot what YOU enjoy)
-Mike Fox

Thefeeder
09-08-2012, 11:50 AM
Its never boring....mix it up.... even if you just shoot Skeet....shoot in high winds, shoot International Skeet, try a 410, shoot the course backwards, mix up using high gun and low gun.

Personaly.....I like ALL the games and don't care to be a master at any of them....I'm to old to try be top dog and its all about the fun and personal factor at this point.

I'll shoot Skeet, International Skeet, Trap, Trap Doubles, Wobble Trap, ZZ Bird, Duck Tower, Sporting Clays, 5 Stand and put some birds on the table going on hunting trips. Am I an expert at any of them....Nope! but i'll give you a run for your money at any of them (on a good day!)

Have fun...thats the name of the game

bjl333
09-08-2012, 1:52 PM
Am I an expert at any of them....Nope! but i'll give you a run for your money at any of them (on a good day!)

^ Modest ^ :D:D

GunninIt
09-08-2012, 7:36 PM
Thanks for sharing, Sid. I know the way this person feels. Having come from sporting clays to skeet, I am able to say just how fun both are. I'm a big fan of being out in nature/on the course shooting sporting. Get on to the skeet field, and with all my new skeet buddies, and I can't imagine being anywhere else. I've only been shooting skeet since July, but I'll tell you what, it feels like MY game now!

sargenv
09-11-2012, 3:34 PM
It's all trigger time and while it is true that most game does not fly the same way every time, any trigger time behind the scattergun is time well spent.. When I call a target at Skeet, I choose to do so "low gun" since I never walk the field or sit in a blind with the gun mounted waiting for ducks or geese..

Edited to add:

One reason why I'm pushing for the "Cal Action Shotgun challenge" match is because I like using a scattergun to combine elements of action shooting and some of the clay games.. it's fun to use a scattergun to do what you might normally do with a pistol. Small and large steel, static clays at odd angle, shooting on the move, moving clays, a rabbit here and there.. etc.. and if we can ever get them working, clays tossed in the air after knocking down a steel target.. all on the clock.. it's fun stuff.

Khanan
09-11-2012, 3:55 PM
3.) The newer shooters tend to be a bit harder on themselves

I guess I'm a new shooter. I won my first two buckles this weekend at the SCSA Championiships and I was disappointed with my scores. Yes, I'm ashamed of myself for not being very very happy winning two buckles in my first registered shoot. I owe my winning all to Coach Don Zeigler and Richard and of course Jordan for starting the So Cal Skeet Clinics.

I liked everything this guy is saying. I'm sure you have heard me say this when I am at Oaktree Sid. "I may not be hitting a damn thing but as long as my gun goes boom, I'm having fun". We all need to keep things in perspective.

epic1856
09-12-2012, 7:27 AM
I guess I'm a new shooter. I won my first two buckles this weekend at the SCSA Championiships and I was disappointed with my scores. Yes, I'm ashamed of myself for not being very very happy winning two buckles in my first registered shoot. I owe my winning all to Coach Don Zeigler and Richard and of course Jordan for starting the So Cal Skeet Clinics.

I liked everything this guy is saying. I'm sure you have heard me say this when I am at Oaktree Sid. "I may not be hitting a damn thing but as long as my gun goes boom, I'm having fun". We all need to keep things in perspective.

Wait a minute.....

You just nonchalantly said you won 2 belt buckles. :party: Freaking Congrats!

This deserves its own thread by itself. What did you win? What class? your score? Overall impression of shooting in a ranked shoot.

yes, its a :threadjacked:

sidious
09-12-2012, 10:36 AM

That's awesome! CONGRATS!! :jump:

Now quit this hijack and start your own on the details of your wins!!

Giselle
09-12-2012, 9:42 PM
I so agree with what Mike Fox said. Thanks for posting this Sid.

I mainly shoot skeet. I've yet to break 25 but I am having fun. I'm up for learning any shooting sport. Whether it's taking Coach's skeet class or a weekend at Appleseed, shooting is a life skill and each "game" has techniques and elements that are transferable to other areas of life and shooting sports.

Mana4real
09-13-2012, 7:49 AM
I went from trap to skeet. I have to say that I now find trap a bit boring. I don't knock people for doing it, but I'd rather shoot skeet or sporting clays. I want something that will challenge me. I still haven't shot 25 straight in skeet. I've shot a couple 24's, but that's as close as I've been.

Barbarossa
09-13-2012, 9:22 AM
I was humbled by Lou's skeet clinic a few weeks ago, now I'm itching to do it again.

I've shot a lot of ducks, and some trap, but that skeet was a unique experience.

sargenv
09-14-2012, 8:49 AM
@Mana4real : Trap is boring.. are we talking 16 yard, handicap, wobble trap, doubles?

I agree that 16 yard standard trap is a bit boring.. move back a bit and see if you do any better.. it's definitely a little different moving back.. see if your club offers what they call wobble trap or doubles.. that will crank up the challenge a bit. Another trap that is not so common anymore in international bunker.. It's difficult enough that they allow you to load 2 rounds.. The target starts out at 70 mph and can go in any direction.. Don't blink or you'll miss it :)

Chaozu
09-14-2012, 12:37 PM
I was humbled by Lou's skeet clinic a few weeks ago, now I'm itching to do it again.

I've shot a lot of ducks, and some trap, but that skeet was a unique experience.

I've been going to Metcaf a lot after that clinic and have been doing pretty well, we should meet up sometime.

Mana4real
09-15-2012, 6:06 PM
@Mana4real : Trap is boring.. are we talking 16 yard, handicap, wobble trap, doubles?

I agree that 16 yard standard trap is a bit boring.. move back a bit and see if you do any better.. it's definitely a little different moving back.. see if your club offers what they call wobble trap or doubles.. that will crank up the challenge a bit. Another trap that is not so common anymore in international bunker.. It's difficult enough that they allow you to load 2 rounds.. The target starts out at 70 mph and can go in any direction.. Don't blink or you'll miss it :)

I've shot with a handicap 22 yards and wobble. I've still lost interest. Doubles gets expensive. I've only done doubles a few times though. There's a local range in Livermore that has international. Never tried it. I may have to give it a try. problem with the handicap is no one there is every good enough, or interested in shooting at anything other them 16 yards. I find it's actually easier to shoot with a handicap because you have to move the gun less.

ysr_racer
09-15-2012, 6:31 PM
Trap and skeet are games of repeatable target presentations, and repeatable target presentations, and repeatable target presentations, and repeatable target presentations.

Give sporting clays a try if you want to mix it up some. Not many 100 straights in sporting clays.

GunninIt
09-15-2012, 7:11 PM
Trap and skeet are games of repeatable target presentations, and repeatable target presentations, and repeatable target presentations, and repeatable target presentations.

Give sporting clays a try if you want to mix it up some. Not many 100 straights in sporting clays.

Have you run 100 straight while shooting skeet? How about 100 straight in trap?

sidious
09-15-2012, 7:35 PM
Hey all,

I believe Mr. Fox's intent of his post was to show how we all have strong feelings of one game or another, but it shouldn't matter because he did lists some points that are shared across all games. We should build on the commonality instead of differences. Shooting sports are mostly shunned in mainstream America as evident in the lack of coverage during the Olympics.

Keep on shooting.