PDA

View Full Version : RIA 1911 tactical trigger

Rimfire123
09-08-2012, 10:58 AM
Does the trigger on RIA 1911 tactical 45acp lightens up after break in? I feel that it's little on the heavier side. On the other hand trigger on GI model is little lighter.

Thanks

Fishslayer
09-08-2012, 11:04 AM
It's probably going to vary some from gun to gun. Compared to my DA/SA bottom feeders the trigger on my Tactical is buttery sweetness. Compared to the SA triggers on my S&W revolvers it's horrible.

The only real way to tell would be with a guage. The change over time would probably be too subtle to really notice.

Of course... if you work for Gunsmoke you can tweek a $4K snper rifle trigger by the seat of your pants. :rolleyes:

OutlawStar
09-08-2012, 6:12 PM
Every trigger will lighten up with use because that is the nature of mechanical wear. They will vary from gun to gun because it is a relatively inexpensive gun but I suppose you could take it to a gunsmith to tune or swap out with different parts.

Brandon04GT
09-08-2012, 6:28 PM
If you feel comfortable enough and can do it properly, you can try and bend the sear spring a little. You can also polish and smooth out some of the internal parts and that may help a little too.

Tee Why
09-08-2012, 11:27 PM
I have a compact GI model and initially, I found it a little gritty. But after about 400 rounds it smoothed out quiet a bit. After about 800 rounds or so, it's even smoother. So I suspect that it'll smooth out after you break it in. IMO, all 1911 triggers seem to get a little smoother after break in.

InGrAM
09-09-2012, 2:53 AM
It will lighten up a little bit with use, but if you do a garage trigger job it will improve it quite a bit. I would never send a RIA off to a smith, even if they would work on one it is a complete waste of money, IMO. The whole point of an RIA is to have a cheap and reliable, "do it your self" 1911, that you can learn on.

killjoyken
09-09-2012, 10:27 AM
How does the stock RIA Tactical trigger compare to a Sig 1911? My friend has shot my Sig a few times and loves the trigger (he shoots a Glock 19) but doesn't want to spend $1000+ on a 1911. I was looking at RIA for my first 1911, but the railed model wasn't on the list at the time so I spent the extra $$ and got the Sig.

So will the RIA trigger feel as good or will he need a trigger job?

InGrAM
09-09-2012, 1:03 PM
How does the stock RIA Tactical trigger compare to a Sig 1911? My friend has shot my Sig a few times and loves the trigger (he shoots a Glock 19) but doesn't want to spend $1000+ on a 1911. I was looking at RIA for my first 1911, but the railed model wasn't on the list at the time so I spent the extra $$ and got the Sig.

So will the RIA trigger feel as good or will he need a trigger job?

It won't be as good as the SIG 1911. But a trigger job can be done to make it just as good if not better. The RIA is a series 70 where as the SIG is a series 80. 80's have more moving parts which equates to a worse trigger. But SIG did a great job with the triggers on their 80's series 1911s, IMO.

Rimfire123
09-09-2012, 1:22 PM
Guys, One more question, how can i install a fiber optic or some other good front site on RIA tactical? I do not want to do it if it needs any grinding or cutting.

Thanks

InGrAM
09-09-2012, 1:37 PM
Guys, One more question, how can i install a fiber optic or some other good front site on RIA tactical? I do not want to do it if it needs any grinding or cutting.

Thanks

RIA tacticals are a "novak" style front sight dovetail but they are not exactly the same from what I have read. There might be a company that makes front sights that fit the RIA tactical but I don't know. What you can do is buy a novak style front sight and file it down to fit the dovetail slot on the RIA.

wilit
09-09-2012, 1:40 PM

Thanks

I used a Dawson Pecision front FO sight and a Fusion FO rear.

Lead Waster
09-09-2012, 9:01 PM
Yep, Dawson Precision

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=SIGHTS+FRONT%3ARock+Is land+Armory+Front+Sights:Rock+Island+Armory+Optic+ Inserted+Front+Sights

Rimfire123
09-10-2012, 12:03 AM
Yep, Dawson Precision

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=SIGHTS+FRONT%3ARock+Is land+Armory+Front+Sights:Rock+Island+Armory+Optic+ Inserted+Front+Sights

I just want to replace the front sight, can i keep the rear sight that came with the gun? and how easy or difficult is it to install Dawson precision front sight?

thanks

Brandon04GT
09-10-2012, 12:43 AM
It will lighten up a little bit with use, but if you do a garage trigger job it will improve it quite a bit. I would never send a RIA off to a smith, even if they would work on one it is a complete waste of money, IMO. The whole point of an RIA is to have a cheap and reliable, "do it your self" 1911, that you can learn on.

I agree. I really encourage any of you guys to have a go at removing some of the roughness and grittiness with just some sandpaper and metal polish. I used 1500 and 3000 grit (probably not necessary but I had it around) to smooth out the trigger track a bit as well as sand off the parkerizing on the trigger bow and finish it up with some metal polish.

You can also do the disconnector head and the flat surfaces where it contacts the trigger stirrup and sear spring. I also smoothed out the disconnector channel in the frame.

Don't forget to smooth out the tips of the sear spring particuarly the middle one as it rides against the disconnector.

You can do all this for basically free and it will help smooth out the action. You can also just purchase a new trigger if you want as I did for under $18 and it came with a polished stainless steel bow.