PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth owning a shotgun if it'll just be used for casual target practice?

The Mad Mule
09-08-2012, 1:30 AM
Today at Turners I was introduced to a Mossberg 500A w/ a muzzle brake and "sling" for the pump handle. I liked it a lot, but considering that 12 gauge shells are a buck a piece, and that a shotgun is not the best thing when youre going for pinpoint accuracy at a distance, is it still worth it?

The range I go to (Angeles Shooting Range) has frames at 15/25 and 50 yards, as well as clay pigeon throwers, which means I'll also be paying for targets as well (as opposed to the steel targets they hang out for free).

Javi
09-08-2012, 1:41 AM
Absolutely! You don't have to buy only buckshot since shotguns are pretty versatile ammo-wise. Get some birdshot for that pigeon thrower at Angeles($6 for 25). You could shoot steel over there with shotguns, no? Heck, you can't go wrong with rounding out a collection with at least one shotgun.

gibbygoo
09-08-2012, 3:10 AM
They're fun. 100 rounds for under $30 is what I pay at Walmart.

ElDub1950
09-08-2012, 3:25 AM
A buck each? I'll sell you all you want, two for a buck. Really, you can buy them all day for less than 30 cents. That's less that .40 cal ammo. I can get 250 rnd delivered to my door for $70 total.

billmaykafer
09-08-2012, 5:00 AM
it is better to have a 12 ga pump than to have a pistol inside a house. number 7 1/2 shot in the crotch will ruin an intruders day. 00buck will ruin an intruders day also. long range is for ranges. defense and survival is usually 30 feet or less.

victor1echo
09-08-2012, 5:14 AM
Are you serious? Home defense, hunting, and hella fun!

killathrilla
09-08-2012, 5:16 AM
Absolutely

big al
09-08-2012, 6:34 AM
Yes!

Beelzy
09-08-2012, 7:31 AM
It's worth owning a shotgun even if you only leave it in the corner of the bedroom.

whipkiller
09-08-2012, 7:42 AM
A buck each? I'll sell you all you want, two for a buck. Really, you can buy them all day for less than 30 cents. That's less that .40 cal ammo. I can get 250 rnd delivered to my door for $70 total.

I'm guessing OP is talking about buckshot @ $1/ea & you guys are talking about birdshot.

Yes, every gun enthusiast should own a shotgun, but maybe look at the Mossberg combo that comes with long and short barrels.

In a couple of minutes you can swap barrels to go from home defense to clay killer and have a great time for not much money using the Walmart birdshot ($25/per 100) on a box of clays ($10/per 90)

Squid
09-08-2012, 9:26 AM
One will feel much more right than the other.

Get one with replaceable choke barrel.

My 870 doesn't like the super cheap $21/100 Fed low brass 7 1/2 bird shot, but eats the $23/100 Rem brand just fine, and is very accurate with 2 3/4" slugs with factory supplied choke.

Consider adding an extra slip on cushion, especially if you aren't a muscle-man or if your arms are average or longer length for general population.

Yes, not only is a shotgun a 'can't afford not to have' you get to learn the whole 'lead the target' thing shooting trap clays.

Plus, with a shotgun you get get a taste of how the same gun will be much different with different loads. Load a 2 3/4" birdshot, then a 3" magnum slug. The slug will be about 3x the kick.

Mana4real
09-08-2012, 9:43 AM
I have more fun shooting a shotgun than any other gun. You might find yourself getting into the sport.

CSACANNONEER
09-08-2012, 9:48 AM
Do yourself a favor and do NOT get a shotgun that looks "cool" or "stupid" like the one you saw. Instead, get one that is capable of doing more than just making you look like a fool at the range. There is nothing wrong with 500s but, the tactifool stuff on the one you described is USELESS. Go to Big5 and get a 500 combo kit on sale for less than the crap you looked at. In the end, the combo kit is capable of everything that you might want to use a shotgun for.

BTW, I own "a few" shotguns and my dad owns "a few safes full of" shotguns. I don't have a problem with shooting my 870s or my 500s. They both feel and function fine.

Jeepergeo
09-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Yes, own one, they are a lot of fun.
And one dollar rounds? What are those, gold plated? Even at the range you can get target loads for 25 rounds for under $9 per box.

Twystd1
09-08-2012, 12:43 PM
I think the better question is needs VS wants.

I get asked this all the time "What gun should I own if I am going to buy a gun"

I tell everyone the same thing. These are the minimum requirements IMHO.

A) Shotgun of your choice. (Preferably with one short barrel and one hunting barrel with removable chokes.)
B) Pistol of your choice. (Semi auto is the better choice)
C) Carbine of your choice. (Prefer AK or AR)

Thats where i would start.

chozenfew805
09-08-2012, 1:13 PM
Absolutely

I second that!

The Mad Mule
09-08-2012, 2:58 PM
Wow, I was not expecting so many replies so quickly. And I guess I was referring to the price of buckshot, my bad.

Do yourself a favor and do NOT get a shotgun that looks "cool" or "stupid" like the one you saw. Instead, get one that is capable of doing more than just making you look like a fool at the range. There is nothing wrong with 500s but, the tactifool stuff on the one you described is USELESS. Go to Big5 and get a 500 combo kit on sale for less than the crap you looked at. In the end, the combo kit is capable of everything that you might want to use a shotgun for.

Yes, after spending all night researching the different variations of the 500, the Big 5 version does seem to be quite the deal. Right now they're selling the silver combo for $279 and the blued combo for $400. The salesperson said that the latter may go on sale in two weeks.

One thing I couldn't find a straight answer for is if the Big 5 version is incompatible with any 500 parts. I read that it uses a Maverick piece which may get in the way of either disassembly or adding the tube extension.

ElDub1950
09-08-2012, 3:51 PM
Wow, I was not expecting so many replies so quickly. And I guess I was referring to the price of buckshot, my bad.

Yes, after spending all night researching the different variations of the 500, the Big 5 version does seem to be quite the deal. Right now they're selling the silver combo for $279 and the blued combo for $400. The salesperson said that the latter may go on sale in two weeks.

One thing I couldn't find a straight answer for is if the Big 5 version is incompatible with any 500 parts. I read that it uses a Maverick piece which may get in the way of either disassembly or adding the tube extension.

Yeah, I'm guessing Big 5 sometimes does special buys with Mossberg. It's not unusual to not be able to match up the exact model at Big 5 with a current model on the Mossberg web site .. at least in the 500 series.

Maltese Falcon
09-08-2012, 4:01 PM
I recently went through some tactical shotgun classes, was so impressed with the results (and the versatility), I decided to ramp up my ammo stockpile. (1K 00, 1K slug, 1K Bird 4, 0.5K bird 7.5)

FTW !!

USMC 82-86
09-08-2012, 5:15 PM
It is well worth it for those things that go bump in the night.

Bobby Ricigliano
09-08-2012, 5:30 PM
The Shotgun is is almost universally considered the #1 choice in a home defense weapon.

Go practice with birdshot. Your shoulder will give out before your wallet does.

Chaozu
09-08-2012, 8:53 PM
I have more fun shooting a shotgun than any other gun. You might find yourself getting into the sport.

This is very true. I started with pistols, that got boring. Built an AR, that got boring. Then was introduced to clays, now I don't even shoot my other guns anymore! Mossy's are cheap anyways, get it!

L84CABO
09-09-2012, 3:59 PM

This^^^ plus a $10 hand thrower, a box of clays (90 for $20) and a buddy or two on some open land is a great time!

IrishPirate
09-09-2012, 4:06 PM
the beauty of the 590 is that you can buy it in whatever configuration you want, and then swap barrels, grips, stocks, sights, etc. to just about anything your heart desires. You're not stuck with one configuration....it's like legos for adults! (kinda like the AR!!)

you can get mil-surp 00buck for cheap if you look for deals, and even if you're a long range kind of guy...you'll find a way to have fun with a shotgun. a few milk jugs filled with water on a bank is all the proof you'll need :43:

IrishPirate
09-09-2012, 4:08 PM

This^^^ plus a $10 hand thrower, a box of clays (90 for $20) and a buddy or two on some open land is a great time!

yikes!!! :eek: I pay $23/100rds, $8/90 clays, and $5/hand thrower.....all walmart prices! :eek:

Mr. Gillious
09-09-2012, 4:18 PM
It is definitely worth it! I have a mossy 5 and it works great, functions fantastic, and is easy to clean. However, I don't shoot it as much but that doesn't mean I don't like it. I just have other favorite toys. Although it just sits around and doesn't get shot as much, it is my #1 go to firearm for home defense.

hcbr
09-09-2012, 4:42 PM
Take some courses that utilize the shotgun (i.e. tactical, skeet, trap etc.) and you'll see how versatile a shotgun truly is. FYI, buckshot or slugs don't have to be a buck a piece FYI, just shop around, shotgun shells are cheap as hell.

unamused
09-09-2012, 4:45 PM
There is something just flat out fun with pump shotguns... Dont get me wrong, semi autos are fun too, but manually manipulating a gun makes things so satisfying. Not to mention the recoil of a shotgun shooting magnum slugs is quite fun as well!!

Invisible_Dave
09-09-2012, 4:47 PM
We shoot 1 oz slugs at 75 yards and have found them to be very accurate. Head shot type accurate.

ICONIC
09-09-2012, 5:16 PM
Short answer yes.

long answer: how do you not have a shotgun yet? The pump shotgun is one of the firearms every gun owner should own. So yes, run out and buy one right now.

GW
09-09-2012, 10:35 PM
Is it worth owning a shotgun if it'll just be used for casual target practice?

Why, yes! Yes it is worth it!

PEBKAC
09-10-2012, 2:14 PM
It's absolutely worth buying a shotgun. A good multipurpose shotgun is a blast for clay shooting at the very least, and doubles as a great home defense weapon the rest of the time.

I spend way more time shooting my shotguns than any of my rifles or pistols. Trap and Skeet are just so much fun compared to shooting at a paper target imo. :D

LAKings22
09-10-2012, 3:18 PM
Yes get a shotgun. Having 1 in your collection wont hurt.

SIGSHOOTR
09-10-2012, 11:55 PM
Been reading this thread with interest as I am sitting on the fence about taking delivery of a Mo'berg 590A1 SPX. That's the shotgun I've always said I would get if I got a pump gun as I saw them used hard and without fail overseas. Never owned (or shot) a shotgun spending all my time on rifles and carbines but I've always wanted one because they seem crazy fun to shoot (and to round out my collection). My only reservation is whether I would actually shoot and use it more than my carbines and handguns. My local range doesn't allow shotguns and I would have drive about 45 minutes to get to a shotgun friendly range. But as others have said here, I think it would be worth it just to have in my closet loaded for HD.And the ammo cost doesn't seem exorbitant compared to 5.56. Anyway, you guys helped me make up my mind. I'm DROSing the Mo'berg this weekend!

AK47American
09-11-2012, 12:10 AM
I got a Mossberg 500 JIC sandstorm. The advertisement that came with the gun explained the particular model was not made for targets or hunting, but for survival. While it does make an awesome survival gun, I shoot the hell out of it on the range. It takes a little geting used to, but after 25 rounds or so, you can pick clay pigeons like nothing at respectable distances. Don't be scared to buy one.

mudbass7
09-11-2012, 1:51 AM
I just picked up my first firearm (mossberg 930) and I love the thing!
I don't see any reason why everyone shouldn't have one. Home defense, hunting, trap and skeet shooting is fun as hell (even though ive only been once and didnt do very well..)
as for ammo price... I just picked up a box of 100 12ga 7 1/2 birdshot at walmart for 24 bucks. When it's sitting at home I have it loaded with Hornady Critical Defense 00buck rounds. those are a good $10-15 for a box o 10 but those, hopefully, wont have to leave the barrel.