PDA

View Full Version : Shot my new XD9 today

Brandon04GT
09-07-2012, 11:28 PM
Not new, but new to me. I traded my XD45 for it. So far I like this gun a lot. Donno if i'd like a Glock more, don't own one, but the XD definitely feels better in my hands. It kinda sucks to be left handed and have not-so-large hands at the same time. Sigs and HK USPs are out.

Anyway, I actually put 100 rounds through it yesterday and shot another 100 today. Gun performed flawlessly except for having one failure to return to battery which was fixed by a simple bump on the slide. I've been trying to improve my shooting and I think i'm getting better. Typically i'm all over the place but in recent trips I've noticed I can develop more of a grouping each time. This XD is also my first 9mm so maybe that helped too.

Here are some pics, all from around 7 yards:

First 70 rounds:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8299/7953754564_f2efca2c15_c.jpg

Last 30:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8445/7953755042_0596646c94_c.jpg

Brandon

chozenfew805
09-08-2012, 12:37 AM
I'm still debating on whether to get a G19 or an XD9, but I think you might have pushed me towards the XD!

bsg
09-08-2012, 3:34 AM
congrats on your XD9.

den888
09-08-2012, 7:54 AM
Good shooting!

Shenaniguns
09-08-2012, 8:05 AM
Just a pet peeve of mine but don't call something flawless when you have a failure, even a minor one.

Nynvolt
09-08-2012, 8:13 AM
I LOVE Glocks but handled an XD recently, really liked how it felt in hand. Didn't bother shooting it but it's definitely better feeling in hand. The guy at the counter had nothing but good things to say about both guns.

XDJYo
09-08-2012, 8:20 AM
I shot an XD9 and it was a nice pistol. Like just about any of them, they're all more accurate than we can be (usually I blame the ammo! LOL!). Trigger was very nice. But, I preferred the 1911. I picked up a Glock, just couldn't get used to the grip angle. Just seemed 'off' to me.

DavidR310
09-08-2012, 2:25 PM
I love my XD9.

Curious as to why you traded the 45....ammo costs?

Anyway how would you compare the 2 as I would love an xd45.

Brandon04GT
09-08-2012, 5:41 PM
Thanks. Well yeah I probably should have said all but flawless.

Yeah I traded it because 45's are getting really expensive to shoot and I wanted something cheaper...all my other pistols were currently 45s anyway. I wanted a 9mm too. I didn't really care for the XD45 too much....maybe cause I like 1911's more lol

I honestly feel that Glocks are probably better guns but either way i'll probably get one later down the road.

One thing I don't really like bout this gun is that the grip can get pretty slippery. It felt worse with the XD45. The Hogue handall grip sleeve looks cool but I don't want to increase the grip size that much. I might try some grip tape or something.

m98
09-09-2012, 3:29 AM
Failure into battry could just be that ammo used. My fail to battry has been caused by bad ammo mainly due to the casing that was damaged at sizing or loading step. If the xd consistantly has the issue then its the gun but if not then mostly its just the ammo. Thats just the nature of guns. Its only as good as the ammo its fed. Failures of such sort is common. No gun is fail proof not even the 'glock perfection' stands up to its name cuz u know what, that's just a marketing gimmick slogan.

roushstage2
09-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Congrats on the XD9! To those looking at a Glock or XD, I say make sure you at least hold them both if you haven't. I didn't shoot either before buying, but I held each of them and the XD felt much better in my hands.

liberty47
09-09-2012, 1:45 PM
I really like my XD9, congrats on your purchase and nice shooting

Sanderhawk
09-09-2012, 4:01 PM
I have a XD40 and just got XD45 with the 5in barrel. Love them both. I may get a XD9 someday just to have them all. I would only get the XD9 for shooting the cheaper ammo though.

.45 ftw!
09-09-2012, 4:27 PM
I recently picked up an xd9 tactical for cheaper paper-killing. I love it.

Rorge Retson
09-09-2012, 4:29 PM
I have a XD40 and just got XD45 with the 5in barrel. Love them both. I may get a XD9 someday just to have them all. I would only get the XD9 for shooting the cheaper ammo though.

As an alternative you could just get a 9mm barrel for your .40...
http://www.storm-lake.com/products/barrel/builder/SF
http://www.barsto.com/category_main.cfm?ID=XD&cco=63
http://www.efkfiredragon.com/xd-service-4-model-9-mm-conversion.html
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?currentMWCatID=10405&dimensionids=4294846297&dimensionids=4294845900&statuses=Available&statuses=In+Stock&statuses=Backorder+OK&statuses=Special+Order&statuses=Not+Available&statuses=No+Backorder&statuses=Coming+Soon&statuses=Other&minPrice=&maxPrice=&sortBy=2&itemsPerPage=100&PreviousCategoryDimensionId=3689&promotionId=&userSearchQuery=

stormvet
09-10-2012, 3:36 PM
Just a pet peeve of mine but don't call something flawless when you have a failure, even a minor one.

A little annal but true none the less. But really to be fair there is no flawless gun. All will malfunction, weather it is the gun, ammo, shooter or the condition you are working the gun in.
I feel very comfortable saying this because I own five different Glocks all have failed an M&P failed, XD and XDm failed, a bunch of 1911s failed, Sig failed, FNP failed. And others, all have failed do to one or more of the above reasons.

But still I consider all most all of my guns pretty darn flawless when it comes Down to reliability.

Lone.45
09-10-2012, 11:54 PM
congrats one your XD and nice shooting. love these guns, i bought a xd45 a few yes back, only thing i hate, it's chambered in GAP. it did jam twice since i bought it, but was due to the fact that the last owner didn't know guns needed to evidently and i barely cleaned it before the first time i went. since then not one issue. no FTF or FTE. i only have about 500 rounds through it.

cebuvfr
09-11-2012, 12:36 AM
Congrats on the XD9. Shooting improved markedly on the last 30.

ExtremeX
09-11-2012, 12:59 AM
XD is an awsome platform, enjoy.

Shenaniguns
09-11-2012, 5:48 AM
A little annal but true none the less. But really to be fair there is no flawless gun. All will malfunction, weather it is the gun, ammo, shooter or the condition you are working the gun in.
I feel very comfortable saying this because I own five different Glocks all have failed an M&P failed, XD and XDm failed, a bunch of 1911s failed, Sig failed, FNP failed. And others, all have failed do to one or more of the above reasons.

But still I consider all most all of my guns pretty darn flawless when it comes Down to reliability.

I never said that no gun will fail, you guys don't know the definition of flawless LOL.

zfields
09-11-2012, 7:49 AM

My pet peeve is using the word flawless... I don't know how it came to be so popular in the gun world, you rarely hear it in other hobbies.

Sent from my fingers, to your face.

Shenaniguns
09-11-2012, 8:06 AM
My pet peeve is using the word flawless... I don't know how it came to be so popular in the gun world, you rarely hear it in other hobbies.

Sent from my fingers, to your face.

I agree :D

billmaker09
09-11-2012, 8:07 AM
I got a XD9 about 2 months ago! I love it Im getting better and better each time I take it out. Hopefully tonight will be the next time

Brandon04GT
09-11-2012, 4:13 PM
So in the first 70 I was aiming center mass and then switched to 6 o'clock as I take it all Springfield's are setup that way. What is the general rule to this? Closer the target = center mass, further away, 6 o'clock?

10rounds
09-11-2012, 4:20 PM
Does the long trigger travel apply to all of the XD line?

henmar77
09-11-2012, 4:21 PM
Good Shooting. Im glad your enjoying it. I haven't had the opportunity yet, but im sure it will come soon.

Brandon04GT
09-11-2012, 4:23 PM

I think generally people have felt that the XD45 is worse in slack and creep compared to the 9/40 models. I can say that the trigger does feel a better/lighter on the 9 but then again this one is much more broken in than my old XD45. I do notice however that when looking through the rear of the slide I can see that the sear isn't engaging as much of the striker as my XD45 was for some reason...

Good Shooting. Im glad your enjoying it. I haven't had the opportunity yet, but im sure it will come soon.

Thanks....I hope you enjoy yours too :D

dc2integra
09-11-2012, 4:45 PM
Congrats on the xd9 they are great guns.I really like the ergonomics on the xd's they fit my hand like a glove.

Gryff
09-11-2012, 5:15 PM
One thing I don't really like bout this gun is that the grip can get pretty slippery. It felt worse with the XD45. The Hogue handall grip sleeve looks cool but I don't want to increase the grip size that much. I might try some grip tape or something.

Decal grip.

http://www.decalgrip.com/

The sandpaper is thinner than the rubber, but can cause more wear to your clothes if you carry concealed. I run the sandpaper type on all of my competition guns. Have yet to have to replace the original application.

i bought a xd45 a few yes back, only thing i hate, it's chambered in GAP.

One benefit to the .45GAP model is that it has a smaller frame than the .45ACP model.

It does to the original XD line. The newer XDm line has better triggers, but unfortunately all of those guns are off-roster.

henmar77
09-11-2012, 5:19 PM
Those decals do help with grip, but they dont feel very good on the hands.

Gryff
09-11-2012, 5:36 PM
Those decals do help with grip, but they dont feel very good on the hands.

Not too bad once you get used to them. When I put them on my XD45, I put on the strip that goes on the underside of the trigger guard. I found that it tore the crap out of the side of my middle finger when I took a two-day Blackwater handgun course, so I pulled it off. But the main panels have never bothered me.

Also remember that the coarseness does lessen the more that you use them.