PDA

View Full Version : Looks like it might be fun, Ruger Single Nine in 22wmr

robcoe
09-07-2012, 7:57 PM
http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelSingleSixSingleNine/models.html

Sorry if it's a dupe, I did use the search function to see if it has already been posted about.

Looks like it could be fun.

MiddleKingdom
09-07-2012, 8:01 PM
It does look like a fun shooter.

usmcchet9296
09-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Considering how much I shoot my SS 22wmr cylinder Ill pass

sofbak
09-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Somehow I think Ruger may have shot themselves in the marketing foot here. When I saw this I thought-why not offer it with both a .22LR and a magnum cylinder-I think that would sell really well.

But wait-what about the single ten??? Seems like now they have two revolvers competing with each other, when one with both calibers-either 9 or 10 shot would have been better. I'd have bought either one or the other if they were dual cal, but I don' think I would buy either one in single caliber.....

Izzy43
09-08-2012, 11:43 AM
OK, don't flame spray me. Not comparing these two firearms but one can buy a Heritage Rough Rider in a .22lr/.22wmr combo, 6.5" blued barrel version with firesights front/rear for around $320 out the door. Quality not as good but if one wants a combo revolver they are a fair revolver at their price point. The big difference is the RR has an alloy frame. Made in the U.S.A. Just sayin.

Turner's has various models of the RR on sale until 13 Sept.

sofbak
09-08-2012, 1:20 PM
OK, don't flame spray me. Not comparing these two firearms but one can buy a Heritage Rough Rider in a .22lr/.22wmr combo, 6.5" blued barrel version with firesights front/rear for around $320 out the door. Quality not as good but if one wants a combo revolver they are a fair revolver at their price point. The big difference is the RR has an alloy frame. Made in the U.S.A. Just sayin.

Turner's has various models of the RR on sale until 13 Sept.

lol. I thought I'd get the flame spray.......

I had the RR combo in mind when I saw this and thought "What was Ruger thinking?". Rather than producing a single unit that would have been a quality competitor for the RR model, they seem to have produced two guns that are more apt to compete with each other.

And the single 10 just came out a little over a year ago in May or June of '11. Just seems that with a little more foresight and maybe a little more time, they might have come up with a dual cal version that would have been a bigger "market wide" seller. They alreayd offer a few dual cal revolvers in centerfire, so why they didn't think of this alternative in the rimfire category is a bit of a mystery to me......

Canucky
09-08-2012, 1:37 PM
Now if Ruger offers a 17hmr 9/10 shot double action? Hmmmm.

Izzy43
09-08-2012, 1:58 PM
Now if Ruger offers a 17hmr 9/10 shot double action? Hmmmm.

That would be a fun revolver. Heritage used to make one but stopped a few years back. I'm guessing its a supply and demand issue.

gbran
09-08-2012, 3:55 PM
Freedom Arms did or may still offer a 17hmr/17m2 combo if you have a couple thou $.

I'd like to see someone offer a more economical version (Ruger did, but no longer). As to the Single 9? I already have a ss Single Six 22lr/22wmr.

TKM
09-08-2012, 5:06 PM
I have one of those Heritage 17s. It gets shot exactly never...

Also picked up a couple of these 8 shot replacement cylinders in 22LR and 22Mag about six months before Ruger came out with the Single 10. They work well.

http://brcrifles.com/manufacture.htm

Excaliburr
09-08-2012, 8:24 PM
I think Ruger is making a mistake by not offering a LR cylinder as well. Maybe they will in the future? A 17HMR gun would be fun to mess with though. Maybe they can offer that down the line too? I think the main reason they will sell well here in CA is because they do not have to be on the roster. (single action exemption) The main thing I see is it will be a darn good shooter with that length of barrel and sights. A friend of mine bought a Single Six the other day and became depressed when he discovered it did not have an adjustable rear sight.

sofbak
09-08-2012, 8:41 PM

Also picked up a couple of these 8 shot replacement cylinders in 22LR and 22Mag about six months before Ruger came out with the Single 10. They work well.

http://brcrifles.com/manufacture.htm

I just discovered that I don't understand very well how a revolver works. How can you "drop in" an 8 round cylinder in a six shot revolver? How does an 8 round cylinder time with a mechanism designed for six shots?

TKM
09-09-2012, 3:23 PM
The little notches on the rear of the cylinder are spaced in such a fashion that when the doohickey turns the cylinder, the whoozit that rises out of the bottom of the cylinder opening locks the chamber in line with the barrel. Bang! And it's all good.

The spacing is adjusted so that everything works out.

If you had a four shot revolver, everything would be set 90 degrees apart. A six shooter would be 60 degrees and so on.

It's just math and a competent machinist after that.

Type it enough and "cylinder" starts to look really weird.