PDA

View Full Version : Lake Trout (Salvelinus namaycush)

Thrillbilly
06-26-2007, 11:07 AM
Does anyone know if there are any good spots in California to catch Lake Trout (Salvelinus namaycush). I tried a google search but came up empty.

rg_1111@yahoo.com
06-26-2007, 11:32 AM
California is big. What part? Nor-Cal or So-Cal?

Thrillbilly
06-26-2007, 11:38 AM
California is big. What part? Nor-Cal or So-Cal?

I almost dont care as long as there is a good chance of catching them. I currently live up in the Tehachapi mountains so I am pretty much game for either Northern or southern.

Rumpled
06-26-2007, 12:11 PM
I'm pretty sure Tahoe is the place for lakers.

rg_1111@yahoo.com
06-26-2007, 12:14 PM
Lake Tahoe,Folsom lake,Pardie lake,Rollans lake,Clear lake, Those are the ones i know. There's a lot more.

Thrillbilly
06-26-2007, 12:28 PM
Hey thanks for the info :cheers2: Yea after my little trip to Convict lake and the upper Owens 2 weeks ago I decided that I wanted to go after species other than Rainbow's, Brown's and California Goldens.

308fan
06-26-2007, 12:29 PM
Go up to Susanville and try the Ealge Lake Trout. They are big and good to eat!!

Hunter
06-26-2007, 3:55 PM
I'm pretty sure Tahoe is the place for lakers.

Hands down the best place in CA for lakers. Cold and deep.

Whitesmoke
06-26-2007, 5:55 PM
Brite lake! :43:

LOL...just kidding.

If your not opposed to a mountain lake (and a hike)...I have the place for you. Drive up 395 to Whitney portal and hit the Meysan lake trailhead. Hike up to meysan lake and start catching fish.

I caught 20+ Brookies in only a few hours of fishing last time I was there (and my brother -in-law caught even more than I did). My first cast I caught one....my brother-in-law was with me and caught one his first cast too.

Ladder51
06-26-2007, 6:06 PM
I caught 20+ Brookies in only a few hours

What were you catching them on ?

Thrillbilly
06-26-2007, 6:11 PM
Brite lake! :43:

LOL...just kidding.

If your not opposed to a mountain lake (and a hike)...I have the place for you. Drive up 395 to Whitney portal and hit the Meysan lake trailhead. Hike up to meysan lake and start catching fish.

I caught 20+ Brookies in only a few hours of fishing last time I was there (and my brother -in-law caught even more than I did). My first cast I caught one....my brother-in-law was with me and caught one his first cast too.

Brite lake....lol. Yea I went there yesterday just for the hell of it. And pretty much nothing came up. It was a far cry from a couple of months ago when I was catching quite a few fish out of there. Yea after my trip to Convict and the upper Owens 2 weeks ago it got me thinking about hitting up some other spots in the Sierras before I'm transferred to Idaho. I am pretty much tired of catching Rainbows, Browns and Goldens, so I thought why not go for some of the harder to find species of trout that get big.

hi_desert
06-26-2007, 6:30 PM
Does anyone know if there are any good spots in California to catch Lake Trout (Salvelinus namaycush). I tried a google search but came up empty.

I believe you'll have to venture up the western side of the Sierras towards the Tahoe Area. Lake Tahoe supposedly holds some trophies but you'll probably need a guide since it like tackling the ocean. I've had luck catching smaller macks (10-12in) in some of the smaller lakes in the El Dorado National forest; Silver Lake and Caples Lake. Take a look at fishsniffer.com.

Whitesmoke
06-26-2007, 6:40 PM
What were you catching them on ?

Panther martins, rooster tails, flys with a clear bobber, etc. They would bite anything...lol.

Thrillbilly
06-26-2007, 7:44 PM
I believe you'll have to venture up the western side of the Sierras towards the Tahoe Area. Lake Tahoe supposedly holds some trophies but you'll probably need a guide since it like tackling the ocean. I've had luck catching smaller macks (10-12in) in some of the smaller lakes in the El Dorado National forest; Silver Lake and Caples Lake. Take a look at fishsniffer.com.

Yea I will probably do the guide thing. Actually I checked into it online and most guides want about 100 dollars for all the gear and food. Hell I spend more in ammo for a range trip. My wife was asking me what I want for my birthday next month; I think I have the answer :)

aplinker
06-27-2007, 12:47 AM
Hey thanks for the info :cheers2: Yea after my little trip to Convict lake and the upper Owens 2 weeks ago I decided that I wanted to go after species other than Rainbow's, Brown's and California Goldens.

You need to do steelhead this fall. The Trinity River is beautiful and productive. It's a whole different world. They don't act like 'bows. One hook-up and you'll never be the same.

My experience with Lake Trout has been pretty dull, except one day in the late fall at Donner Lake a few years back. Lakers are DEEP so it's all trolling. To me that's not really fishing, but when I was camping near Donner and went to Mt. Hardware, they told me they were on the surface because the lake was in its switchover time for temps. I had about 4 opportunities and 2 hook ups in about 6 hours fishing flies from the shoreline. Broke off one lunker and landed one medium (for lake trout).

Tahoe is the primary lake, as most have said. Get ready for a long day of deep trolling.

Thrillbilly
06-27-2007, 12:22 PM
You need to do steelhead this fall. The Trinity River is beautiful and productive. It's a whole different world. They don't act like 'bows. One hook-up and you'll never be the same.

Sweet Ill have to check that out as well :D

Fjold
06-27-2007, 12:33 PM
Go up to Susanville and try the Ealge Lake Trout. They are big and good to eat!!

Eagle Lake trout are rainbows. The high alkaline water and their diet gives them a thick slime coating and orange flesh like a salmon. I agree, they are some of the best tasting trout that you can get.

Thrillbilly
06-28-2007, 4:14 AM
Yea I think I am going to hit up Meysan lake in the next couple of weeks. Then after the whole fire thing calms down hit up Tahoe around Aug/Sept. and try for some lakers.

Whitesmoke
06-28-2007, 6:28 AM
Meysan is worth it....just be aware it's a pretty good hike. Here's a website with more info:

http://www.etreking.com/eTreking/Pages/Mt%20WhitneyOther.html

there is a upper and lower lake right next to each other....the lower is like a big pond, the upper is a pretty good sized lake. But both are right next to one another.

Thrillbilly
06-28-2007, 12:33 PM
Meysan is worth it....just be aware it's a pretty good hike. Here's a website with more info:

http://www.etreking.com/eTreking/Pages/Mt%20WhitneyOther.html

there is a upper and lower lake right next to each other....the lower is like a big pond, the upper is a pretty good sized lake. But both are right next to one another.

Thanks for the info :cheers2: BTW which lake had the better fishing when you went? And how long did it take to hike to it? Im trying to decide if I should leave my house at 03:00 or 04:00. As it takes two hours to drive there from my house.

Whitesmoke
06-29-2007, 3:16 PM
The lakes are only a few hundred feet apart...and both had good fishing. I'd say the big one was much better though. You could see some BIG fish in there too...but they were not biting....too wise I guess. Plus, we were the ONLY people fishing there for the 2 days I was there.

I was carrying a whole heavy pack, and it's pretty steep. Probably a 2-3 hr hike with a light load. Maybe faster if your in good shape (I'm not in that good of shape). It only took me an hour to walk back out though....lol.

rg_1111@yahoo.com
06-29-2007, 4:33 PM
One thing to remember is that if you can see the fish they can see you too.
Most of the time the big fish are not going to bite if they see you.
The quieter you are helps also.

Whitesmoke
06-29-2007, 5:44 PM
One thing to remember is that if you can see the fish they can see you too.
Most of the time the big fish are not going to bite if they see you.
The quieter you are helps also.

Thats very true...I did best fishing off of the rocks and staying back where the fish couldn't see you.

Thrillbilly
06-30-2007, 12:53 AM
The lakes are only a few hundred feet apart...and both had good fishing. I'd say the big one was much better though. You could see some BIG fish in there too...but they were not biting....too wise I guess. Plus, we were the ONLY people fishing there for the 2 days I was there.

I was carrying a whole heavy pack, and it's pretty steep. Probably a 2-3 hr hike with a light load. Maybe faster if your in good shape (I'm not in that good of shape). It only took me an hour to walk back out though....lol.

Cool thanks for the info. As I am going there by myself do you know if you can open carry there?

Whitesmoke
06-30-2007, 10:43 AM
It's in Inyo National Forest......so you should be OK with open carry once on the trail.

Also, if your spending the night at Meysan you'll need a wilderness permit. But thats not necessary if it's just a day trip.

ivanimal
06-30-2007, 6:45 PM
I was under the impression that only Tahoe and Donner lakes could support lakers. If I am wrong please tell me where else as I have caught lakers with guides in both of those. I used bigMac charters in LT and Dick Hanverly (now retired) in Donner in the 80's.

hi_desert
06-30-2007, 7:43 PM
I've caught small Lakers in both Caples and Silver Lake, over by Kirkwood. I'm pretty sure they're a standard part of the plant schedule along with the rainbows and browns. Old fish tales say that the big ones are in there too...

http://www.fishsniffer.com/wiza/052404caples.html

rg_1111@yahoo.com
07-01-2007, 7:12 AM
F&G has stocked most of the Lakes with LT.
You have to fish deep to get them. They like cold water.
The Lake up at La port has them also.

Thrillbilly
07-11-2007, 3:16 AM
Thats very true...I did best fishing off of the rocks and staying back where the fish couldn't see you.

Well I was going to go there this last weekend, but my kids got sick so I went and got a new car instead. It looks like Ill have to wait till the 21st to go now :mad:

larry v.
07-11-2007, 11:54 PM
I've had good luck at Lake Tahoe using "z ray" lures with a down rigger between 150 and 200 ft. We normally fish the north part of the lake and launch from the Coast Guard station by Tahoe City.

Thrillbilly
07-15-2007, 12:29 AM
Well I am going to go to Meysan Lake on the 21st of this month and see how well the brook trout bite is :D I'm thinking I'll check out Tahoe for the lakers towards the end of August/ early September. I picked up a new fly rod so I'll have to test it out :)