PDA

View Full Version : taurus?

vtrigger77
09-07-2012, 1:49 PM
I recently passed by big bass proshops and was just looking arround killing time and my gf pointed out a gun she though looked cool lol it was a taurus .45 i agree with her it looks nice. the question is how good are they i dont know annything about this brand. in my family if its not a colt its not a real gun lol.

J.D.Allen
09-07-2012, 2:01 PM
Taurus has a real bad rep for the most part. The only models that are good are the PT92 and PT99...supposedly. I've never owned one so I don't know for sure...

vtrigger77
09-07-2012, 2:05 PM
this is the one i was looking at

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=743&category=Pistol&toggle=tp&breadcrumbseries=247

em9sredbeam
09-07-2012, 2:08 PM
I have a Taurus pt1911 alr, and a 617 which is a 357 mag titanium snubby. The revolver is great, especially for the price. This is coming from a guy with a couple Smith and Wessons. Only thing is has a heavy trigger pull. The 1911 works great after putting some work into it. Had to polish the chamber, and do the feed ramps and change the springs. Now it works great. I got a heck of a deal on it and have put it through a lot and now it is great to shoot.

em9sredbeam
09-07-2012, 2:12 PM
Added note, the 24/7 won a ton of awards when it was new. Also Their warranty and customer service is top notch.

SNCaliber
09-07-2012, 2:17 PM
I agree the 24/7 is a spiffy looking gun, does anybody own one here?

vtrigger77
09-07-2012, 2:25 PM
so its eighther

http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php?version=69

or

http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...rumbseries=247

Damiiaaannn
09-07-2012, 2:26 PM
so its eighther

http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php?version=69

or

http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...rumbseries=247

Springfield!

JeremyS
09-07-2012, 2:28 PM
I think the 800-series (809 is 9mm, 840 is .40, 845 in .45 cal) looks very nice: http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=604&category=Pistol&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

http://www.taurususa.com/images/imagesMain/840B.jpg

I had a Millenium Pro back in the day and it was a reliable gun until my friend pulled hard on the trigger with the safety on and it bent the trigger bar just barely enough that it didn't always reset correctly. Taurus payed for shipping both ways and fixed it under warranty in 2 weeks.

The company does have a bad rep (and some of that is from the '90s when they were mostly cheap knock-offs), but they do make plenty of decent guns at good prices.

Let's not forget that the Springfield XD isn't exactly a made-in-America Springfield gun. It's made in Croatia and imported by Springfield. They're great guns. I don't think, on paper, there's a reason to say it's better than the top-of-the-line Taurus stuff. But it's hard for people to ignore the brand name stamped onto the "Springfield" and to overlook the Taurus stigma.

Maddog5150
09-07-2012, 2:33 PM
Too hit or miss with taurus. Some people love them, a lot of people hate them. When I worked at an FFL though, we would get customers sending back taurus for repairs far more than any other gun out there. Of course, even though I witnessed this with my own eyes, I'll be called fud :rolleyes:
I personally had two taurus firearms. One PT145 which would only fire when it felt like it and I tried different ammo. Taurus wouldnt fix the problem and kept saying I was usuing reloaded ammo and basically calling me a liar. Fast forward years later, I bought a Taurus/Rossi revovler for cheap. After TWO shooting sessions, it went off timing and sent jacket into my face causing my face to bleed. Thank God for eye-pro. So sent it back to taurus TWICE. First time they sent it back claiming I was using reloaded ammo (see a trend here?) and basically calling me a liar.. again. After sending it back again and threatening to sue, they tightened cylinder, re-aligned the crane, and something else I cant remember. I took it out, tested it, finally got it fixed and sold it.
I would buy one of those blinged out taurus handguns just to return to my roots but never fire it. Other than that, newp. I would trust my life to a hi point 100 times more than a taurus.
YMMV

vtrigger77
09-07-2012, 2:44 PM
im thinking the xd might be the best choice then

InGrAM
09-07-2012, 3:09 PM
I don't like XD's at all but in this case I think the XD would be a better choice.

I would look at a S&W M&P45 or something else in .45 is that is what you want. If you are going to buy a Taurus pistol make sure it is a 92 or 99.

My father has a friend with a 99 in 40S&W and a 92 in 9mm. Both are great guns and work well.

NytWolf
09-07-2012, 3:15 PM
Taurus has a real bad rep for the most part. The only models that are good are the PT92 and PT99...supposedly. I've never owned one so I don't know for sure...

Nothing against you personally, but the bad rep come from people who never owned a Taurus before. Most people who own Taurus handguns are afraid to say anything positive publicly because of the bashing they usually receive by those with bad incidents. Also, what was then is different now.

With that said, I own a Taurus revolver and it's a great gun.

InGrAM
09-07-2012, 3:36 PM
^ that is quite true.

jessegpresley
09-07-2012, 3:37 PM
If I saw a Taurus lying in the street I'd just kick it into the gutter.

The bad rep came from owners who had hard times with them.

Tyson
09-07-2012, 3:38 PM
I own a 24/7 pro in 40. (gen 1)I really like it a lot I've never had a problem with it it shoots great is surprisingly accurate sights and altogether reliable. I have a

Streamlight on mine that is my "go to" home defense weapon.

Theres a great short youtube video about a guy with several Taurus handguns and he has something like over 40k rounds through maybe 4 pistols and zero failures.

Nutnfancy has a review on the 24/7 pro, highly rated.

I don't know anything about Taurus having a bad rep sounds like people who heard from one guy who heard from another guy that his buddies dad had a single FTF.

All guns can and will go down at some point.

Its more like if you don't have any experience with Taurus handguns, leave your pie hole shut.

SilverTauron
09-07-2012, 3:50 PM
I have a PT1911 which I purchased used for $425.Its neck and neck with my brand new Remington 1911 R1 in both accuracy and reliability.Being used its got cosmetic wear,but functionally and structurally it has nothing to apologize for.Its fed and fired hollowpoints and FMJ without failure,and sits in my IWB holster as I type this.

Every gun brand has haters.Such people are not to be relied on for an impression of an entire brand.

Maddog5150
09-07-2012, 4:38 PM
If I saw a Taurus lying in the street I'd just kick it into the gutter.

The bad rep came from owners who had hard times with them.

^^^This

Everything I've ever said aboout Taurus is from my personal experience with my personal firearms and also working at an FFL where I had to send a lot of them back.

Just because someone doesnt like your brand, doesnt mean they are talking out of their *** ;)

InGrAM
09-07-2012, 5:03 PM
^^^This

Everything I've ever said aboout Taurus is from my personal experience with my personal firearms and also working at an FFL where I had to send a lot of them back.

Just because someone doesnt like your brand, doesnt mean they are talking out of their *** ;)

I don't know about Taurus, that statement might actually be true in their case but most of the time people talk negatively about a certain type of gun they are talking out of their ***. Just look at all of the 1911 BS that is posted on forums...

dwtt
09-07-2012, 5:20 PM
My Taurus tracker .357 revolver is reliable and shoots fine. Maybe my personal experience doesn't fit into the playbook of hating Taurus? People should shoot the gun themselves and see if they like it. Not everyone will like a Taurus, just like not everyone will like a STI.

SilverTauron
09-07-2012, 5:25 PM
Considering the intellect of a gun counter patron,the fact that people are bringing Taurus guns back to the store means little.Note that most Taurus handguns are made in Brazil,and as such they ship with a metric ton of grease in the pistol.This is done to prevent rust during the 3 week ocean trip to America.There's enough preservative in the gun that serious function issues will happen if you don't clean the gun before firing it.I bought a brand new PT809 which refused to reset in double action out of the box.A session with Hoppes No. 9 cured the problem,as the trigger bar was clogged with factory grease to the point it would hang up on the polymer frame.

If I were a less careful buyer,id easily assume its just another defective gun from 'junky' Taurus.Of all the used and new handguns I've owned,not one Taurus has failed me yet.Wish I could say that about Smith and Wesson & Beretta.

Note that even though my S&W 5906 was a 3 point jamomatic,and the Beretta 9000f I had broke its safety when I had it loaded,cocked,and locked I won't claim every gun from both companies is junk.

Maddog5150
09-07-2012, 5:31 PM
Considering the intellect of a gun counter patron,the fact that people are bringing Taurus guns back to the store means little.Note that most Taurus handguns are made in Brazil,and as such they ship with a metric ton of grease in the pistol.This is done to prevent rust during the 3 week ocean trip to America.There's enough preservative in the gun that serious function issues will happen if you don't clean the gun before firing it.I bought a brand new PT809 which refused to reset in double action out of the box.A session with Hoppes No. 9 cured the problem,as the trigger bar was clogged with factory grease to the point it would hang up on the polymer frame.

If I were a less careful buyer,id easily assume its just another defective gun from 'junky' Taurus.Of all the used and new handguns I've owned,not one Taurus has failed me yet.Wish I could say that about Smith and Wesson & Beretta.

Note that even though my S&W 5906 was a 3 point jamomatic,and the Beretta 9000f I had broke its safety when I had it loaded,cocked,and locked I won't claim every gun from both companies is junk.

Hmmmm. I wish I had a time machine then. When revolvers were binding on certain chambers, parts physically snapped, or when fasteners were cross threaded, I could of told the customers it was packing grease and to use Hoppes ;)

ICONIC
09-07-2012, 5:33 PM
The Taurus revolvers are decent to fairly good, most people never have an issue with them. Their semis are another matter.

Downside of Taurus is the horrible resale value of the guns. Put your money elsewhere IMHO

Jacfourteen
09-07-2012, 5:39 PM
I have a PT140 Milpro, I've only shot about 200 rounds so far but its been flawless thus far. As far as feel and ergos I really like it. It is also fairly accurate and I got it for a great price.

JeremyS
09-07-2012, 5:41 PM
Downside of Taurus is the horrible resale value of the guns.Unless you're buying used :p

Jacfourteen
09-07-2012, 5:42 PM
The Taurus revolvers are decent to fairly good, most people never have an issue with them. Their semis are another matter.

Downside of Taurus is the horrible resale value of the guns. Put your money elsewhere IMHO

In my case the horrible resale value was a plus for me as I bought it used! ;)

Jacfourteen
09-07-2012, 5:44 PM
Unless you're buying used :p

Beat me to it whole I was typing!

Jacfourteen
09-07-2012, 5:45 PM
Unless you're buying used :p

Beat me to it while I was typing!

SilverTauron
09-07-2012, 5:45 PM
Hmmmm. I wish I had a time machine then. When revolvers were binding on certain chambers, parts physically snapped, or when fasteners were cross threaded, I could of told the customers it was packing grease and to use Hoppes ;)

Point taken.I sure could use your time machine,so I can avoid the supremely disconcerting experience of a cocked handgun taking itself off safe spontaneously.500 years in business ,and safety detent parts still mystify the folks at Gardone Val Trompia ,Italy.

Every handgun brand has their lemons and turds.That doesn't mean the entire company is garbage.Taurus has a lifetime warranty on all their pistols regardless of who owns it going on 20 years now.If the company made trash like the naysayers claim,they'd be in recievership by now.Considering a 500 year old gun company occasionally can't get a safety right,maybe blanket statements about gun brands aren't the wisest attitude.

PAKALO
09-07-2012, 6:25 PM
Taurus sells tons of firearms so of course there is going to be some bad reviews out there. there is also going to be tons of good ones to. personally i own taurus revolvers only.. to many things i dont like about there semis..there is better built pistols out there for same price

Maddog5150
09-07-2012, 6:30 PM
Point taken.I sure could use your time machine,so I can avoid the supremely disconcerting experience of a cocked handgun taking itself off safe spontaneously.500 years in business ,and safety detent parts still mystify the folks at Gardone Val Trompia ,Italy.

Every handgun brand has their lemons and turds.That doesn't mean the entire company is garbage.Taurus has a lifetime warranty on all their pistols regardless of who owns it going on 20 years now.If the company made trash like the naysayers claim,they'd be in recievership by now.Considering a 500 year old gun company occasionally can't get a safety right,maybe blanket statements about gun brands aren't the wisest attitude.

I can see your point, I honestly can but I feel we will just have to cordially agree to disagree. Althouth I know not ALL of their pistols are junk, the ratio I personally saw with my own eyes is far too high to take them seriously.
Now for something humorous, back then, we sold more highpoints than any other firearms, never had a single one ever return. Warrenties dont really impress me also however. I'd rather have a gun, car, tool, with zero warrenty that works rather than a gun, car, tool with a million year warrenty that has to be used.
To each their own, OP asked for opinion and both you and I have different ones :D
Though if I had a time machine I would rather use it to buy awesome bikes and cars :43:

vtrigger77
09-07-2012, 9:50 PM
lol if i had a time machine id buy me a 1957 belair for 4,000 brand new not a gun lol.

vtrigger77
09-07-2012, 9:53 PM
but annyway im looking for a reliable pistol cus i will mostlikely only go to the range every other month so i need it to work in case of an emergency. i plan on putting a surefire flash light on it so i need it with a rail. i wish i could afford a 1911 work isnt that great right now plus i own 2 bmw's so maintanance doesnt let me save up lol

DesertPaladin
09-08-2012, 12:23 AM
I'm a USMC Vet who cut his teeth on the Colt 1911, and former Range Instructor at Edwards AFB, so I have had the benefit of test firing a number of weapons.

I ended up buying the Taurus 24/7 Pro, .40 cal., and NO REGRETS. It's a reliable, out of the box accurate weapon. I bought mine with the Heine sights, and put the M-6 Tac laser-light on it. It's now my "pillow-piece".

Criticisms of the Taurus line are dated, and do not reflect the quality of weapons they now produce. They are a Brazilian firearms Company, but have manufacturing facilities right here in Miami, FL.
I've never had any problems with Customer Service, not that the weapon ever needed any. But I did need info on where to find/buy holsters and spare mags: They were very helpful.

If there be any draw-backs I would warn against, it is the fact that there are fewer Manufacturers who carry holsters and spare mags for them. *Note- I said fewer, but there are a fair number who do.
On the spare mag subject, the gun is finicky about non-Mfr. products and so I would recommend just buying the spares from Taurus.

Hope this helps. Lemme know if you need any more info.

Old4eyes
09-08-2012, 10:55 AM
Anyone who is thinking about buying a Taurus should hop on over to taurusarmed.net and become a member. When you become a member, you get to see the complaint board. It is an eye opener. I wish I had done that before I bought a Taurus Tracker.

Severe timing issues out of the box. Several rounds thankfully did not fire (way off center hit on the primer). If they had, that forcing cone would have had its hands full.

1st attempt at repair took almost a month, came back slightly improved with the admonition that we should have been shooting .357 as opposed to .38 special. So much for a great repair depot. Sent it right back for another month and it came back in good shape. The shop where I purchased had two more Trackers, they had big problems as well.

Like any other manufacturing process, there will be hills and valleys. It's just that the Taurus valleys are very deep and very wide compared to the hills.

In this case, inexpensive also means cheap.

vtrigger77
09-08-2012, 3:30 PM
This is all i have right now for home defence.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j15/vtrigger77/colt380-2.jpg

InGrAM
09-08-2012, 6:09 PM
It could be worse... My Colt Mustang plus II has been reliable and is very easy to shoot. But you need something more for HD.

stormvet
09-08-2012, 7:08 PM
I have had three Taurus handguns. I just sold my PT1911, not because it was a bad gun. It actually was very impressive for a $600 1911, only shot a little over a thousand rounds but it was very reliable and accurate. Both the ones I still own have had issues, but Taurus costumer service was very good and they are still running good. Had to send them my M85 Ultra-Lite snuby for a timing issue. They paid both ways and had it back to me in less then two weeks. My little PT-22 broke the barrel release locking lug. They sent me a new one and I fixed it myself. Know two out of three with problems not good. But one is a cheap little 22 pistol. There customer service was very helpful and fast. That's my dealings with Taurus others may be different. I don't think I would have one as a primary weapon but I do use the .38 as a bug.

spyke-52
09-08-2012, 9:13 PM
I had a 24/7 PRO DS in .40 for a little over a year. Put about 500 or so rounds through it without a single malfunction. Accurate and reliable for me. Trigger wasn't the best, but it went bang every time I squeezed it. I only sold it to help fund another purchase. Would I buy one again??? Meh..... There are other guns I'd rather have.

hornswaggled
09-08-2012, 9:18 PM
My buddy went with a Tracker .357 for his first handgun. It goes bang when you pull the trigger, but compared to my S&W Model 66 from the 90s, well.... it's just not a Smith, let's put it that way.

tm_jones123
09-09-2012, 2:34 AM
I recently passed by big bass proshops and was just looking arround killing time and my gf pointed out a gun she though looked cool lol it was a taurus .45 i agree with her it looks nice. the question is how good are they i dont know annything about this brand. in my family if its not a colt its not a real gun lol.

The GF thinking its "cool" tells you right there & then its crap! Nothin against the old lady, but Taurus only sells to those that don't know any better.

& tell the Fam their colts are full of MIM

Chears

SilverTauron
09-09-2012, 6:38 AM
The GF thinking its "cool" tells you right there & then its crap! Nothin against the old lady, but Taurus only sells to those that don't know any better.

& tell the Fam their colts are full of MIM

Chears

Guess who likely made those MIM parts on the Colt ?

Taurus makes MIM parts on contract for a lot of other gun companies, under terms of secrecy. Makes a man wonder just how many brand snobs use Taurus parts and not realize it, no? ;)

willerfortheworld
09-09-2012, 1:17 PM
My dad had a Taurus 92 "Beretta copy" that shot very well from what I remember..

That being said I would still take a XD over it anyday of the week.

Chameleon Loco
09-09-2012, 1:40 PM
My dad has a xd in .45 and it is a great gun very accurate, and for some reason I can shoot it better than a 1911 in .45 for me it seems like there is less recoil with the xd.

socal44
09-09-2012, 1:49 PM
I have a pt145. I'll never buy a Taurus again. :mad:

vtrigger77
09-09-2012, 2:33 PM
So it seems like the xd itl be. Now to sell my subs and amp to buy it lol

willerfortheworld
09-09-2012, 6:30 PM
So it seems like the xd itl be. Now to sell my subs and amp to buy it lol

Both my mom(9mm) and step dad(.45) use the xd as their concealed carry weapon. My step bro just got the xd45 last x-mass and they all are ferm believers in it. They say its like a glock but prettier and easier to aim with. I'm 100% positive you and your old lady will enjoy shooting it.

₩FT₩

vtrigger77
09-09-2012, 6:38 PM
thanx for all the info guys. hopefully we can all meet up sometime and send some rounds down range. i think imma pass down the .380 to her as soon as i get my xd 45

Dinosaur Jr
09-09-2012, 7:57 PM
FWIW, I have an XD9 and I love it. Easy to shoot & maintain. I can tell you that they're making some really decent pistols in Croatia! Feels great in my hand and it shoots better than I do. I am no question getting the .45 as soon as I can budget it.

willerfortheworld
09-10-2012, 4:56 PM
You=new XD45 her=your 38. That sounds about right :yes:

vtrigger77
09-10-2012, 7:31 PM
Lol actually im keeping the .380 also lol

vtrigger77
09-10-2012, 9:57 PM
the more i research the xd .45 the more i love it lol

RobinGoodfellow
09-10-2012, 10:26 PM
I own a Taurus model 66 .356 revolver. I have fired hundreds of rounds through this with never a problem.

I also own a PT92 AFS. I have fired over 1000 rounds through this with no mis-feeds, stove pipes, jams, etc. When I carried I carried this piece.

My wife and daughter each own an M85. These haven't been fired much, but they have exhibited no issued.

Maybe I have been lucky, but I love Taurus pistols, and I would buy another in a heartbeat. It may be true that they don't hold their value. I'll never know because I don't sell my pistols anymore.

sactoman
09-11-2012, 10:24 AM
I had a pt145. The trigger broke. Plastic part. I had to pay to overnight it to Florida and wait 4 weeks to get it back. I'm done with Taurus.