PDA

View Full Version : XD45 frame strength?

Bhobbs
09-07-2012, 2:16 PM
I was looking at XD pistols the other day and was wondering about an XD in 10mm. Springfield doesn't make one so I looked online for conversions and didn't see much. One thing that popped up from time to time is that the XD45 frame would not handle the pressure and recoil of the 10mm auto. I'm not talking about the generic .40 S&W power level 10mm loads but the full power loads from Double Tap or Buffalo Bore. Anyone know if this is true?

Rorge Retson
09-07-2012, 2:44 PM
I'm not understanding what you're asking. There is no XD 10mm, and there won't be.

With regards to the XD frame being able to handle even a "normal" 10mm round (i.e. SAAMI specs), no, it probably won't. But neither will any other platform that is not made for 10mm.

All one has to do is look at the issues Tanfoglio/EAA has been having with their Witness line of pistols. The Witness is a European gun, but they decided to retrofit it for 10mm for the U.S. market, and the result has been broken slides (except for the Match 10mm slide, which is beefier).

d4v0s
09-07-2012, 2:51 PM
I was looking at XD pistols the other day and was wondering about an XD in 10mm. Springfield doesn't make one so I looked online for conversions and didn't see much. One thing that popped up from time to time is that the XD45 frame would not handle the pressure and recoil of the 10mm auto. I'm not talking about the generic .40 S&W power level 10mm loads but the full power loads from Double Tap or Buffalo Bore. Anyone know if this is true?

You would be better off using the .40 frame. Its much thicker in the grip wells. In order for SA to fit 13 .45 cal rounds in the grip they thinned out the walls alot. I mean you can actually push it in and feel it give and flex with just your finger.

With that said have you looked into glocks? they make a 10mm and its pretty cheap, but from what I have heard they wont stand up very long against full power loads either. (no experience here just what I have heard from leo/sheriff buddies).

Brandon04GT
09-07-2012, 2:59 PM
The grip on the XD45 is a bit longer too I think. Hasn't someone successfully modded a USP40 to 10mm?

Bhobbs
09-07-2012, 3:12 PM
I'm not understanding what you're asking. There is no XD 10mm, and there won't be.

With regards to the XD frame being able to handle even a "normal" 10mm round (i.e. SAAMI specs), no, it probably won't. But neither will any other platform that is not made for 10mm.

All one has to do is look at the issues Tanfoglio/EAA has been having with their Witness line of pistols. The Witness is a European gun, but they decided to retrofit it for 10mm for the U.S. market, and the result has been broken slides (except for the Match 10mm slide, which is beefier).

When I said Springfield doesn't make one (actually who ever actually makes the pistol in Croatia) I mean the XD 10mm doesn't exist.

All I am asking is if I could make and or buy a custom XD barrel in 10mm, would the frame fail?

Bhobbs
09-07-2012, 3:13 PM
You would be better off using the .40 frame. Its much thicker in the grip wells. In order for SA to fit 13 .45 cal rounds in the grip they thinned out the walls alot. I mean you can actually push it in and feel it give and flex with just your finger.

With that said have you looked into glocks? they make a 10mm and its pretty cheap, but from what I have heard they wont stand up very long against full power loads either. (no experience here just what I have heard from leo/sheriff buddies).

The 10mm is a lot longer than .40 S&W so I don't think it will fit in the mag well.

Yeah I know of the Glock 20 and 29. I just like the XDs more.

Rorge Retson
09-07-2012, 3:14 PM
When I said Springfield doesn't make one (actually who ever actually makes the pistol in Croatia) I mean the XD 10mm doesn't exist.

All I am asking is if I could make and or buy a custom XD barrel in 10mm, would the frame fail?

I believe I gave you your answer.

Bhobbs
09-07-2012, 3:30 PM
I believe I gave you your answer.

True but XDs are used for .460 Rowland conversions and it operates at 40 KPSI opposed to 37.5 KPSI for the 10mm auto.