PDA

View Full Version : Looking to upgrade M&P9 trigger

STI
09-06-2012, 11:35 PM
I want to upgrade the trigger on my M&P9 and I am looking at APEX parts. Which parts, kit, or combination of parts would you recommend to improve the trigger? This is strictly a range toy.

This is a little more than I wanted to spend, but I'm thinking of going with this since I don't really care for the two piece plastic trigger. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/224558/apex-tactical-forward-set-sear-and-trigger-kit-smith-and-wesson-m-and-p

Or is that overkill for a non competition gun? Thanks.

ArkinDomino
09-06-2012, 11:38 PM
DCAEK.

scootle
09-06-2012, 11:51 PM
My M&P is on the way back with a DCAEK (level 2 trigger on their website) and RAM installed. For non-competition, I think the above is more than enough. I use the pistol mostly for range visits and training classes, although I am thinking of trying some IPSC or IDPA at some point with it.

If you hate the "plastic" trigger, the Apex Forward-Set Trigger that you linked is probably one of the best options out there. That is, if you like having very little pre-travel on your trigger -- as they like to call it: "1911-style". :)

theneko
09-07-2012, 2:33 PM
You say trigger but do you mean the trigger pull/reset/break? Start with a DCAEK and see what you think. Then switch the actual trigger if you want more change.

InGrAM
09-07-2012, 3:37 PM
Just putting the Apex hard sear was a world of difference for me. Cheap too.

Sam
09-07-2012, 3:54 PM
DCAEK, RAM and AEK trigger. It is a really sweet trigger. If this is a purely fun gun then might as well go with a FSS trigger kit.

9mmepiphany
09-07-2012, 7:27 PM
You say trigger but do you mean the trigger pull/reset/break? Start with a DCAEK and see what you think. Then switch the actual trigger if you want more change.
You can't use the Forwards Set Sear trigger with the D/C AEK..the geometry is wrong

Most folks are happy with the D/C AEK, but the FSS is a huge improvement, plus you get a solid trigger. I just installed one in my M&P9 FS and it really is very close to a 1911...but be ready for very little takeup and reset distance

Sam
09-07-2012, 7:35 PM
You can't use the Forwards Set Sear trigger with the D/C AEK..the geometry is wrong

Most folks are happy with the D/C AEK, but the FSS is a huge improvement, plus you get a solid trigger. I just installed one in my M&P9 FS and it really is very close to a 1911...but be ready for very little takeup and reset distance

You can however use the AEK trigger with the DCAEK. The AEK is an aluminum trigger like the FSS trigger but offers a little more take-up than the FSS kit. It gets thrown a lot about trigger kits being compared to the 1911's trigger, but the FSS kit does actually feel like a well tuned 1911 trigger.

STI
09-09-2012, 8:27 PM
I think I'm going to get the DCAEK, RAM, and maybe later I will get the AEK trigger. I also noticed they offer an extractor for the M&P. I'm thinking about getting it because my M&P ejects brass very erratically. Sometimes straight to the face, chest, over my head, or lazily to the right. I love the way the gun feels in my hands, so if I can just address the trigger and brass ejection, it will be a great gun! Thanks for the advise on the trigger!

scootle
09-10-2012, 1:10 AM
I just got my M&P9 FS back from Apex... didn't take as long as they initially estimated (quoted up to 4 weeks, got it back in ~2). The DCAEK (level 2 trigger) and RAM install are pretty noticeable difference in the trigger feel for sure.

With just dry-fire so far, it feels like all the grittiness in the factory trigger is gone... it's almost like you might not really notice how gritty the factory setup can be until it's totally smooth after the DCAEK is installed. Pre-travel feels about the same, and I don't mind it that much.

The RAM really does add a noticeable single-click to the reset that is totally unlike the light double-click of the factory trigger. It's interesting... on my M&P9c with factory trigger, I can't feel any reset at all, not even the light double-click my FS had. I might very well just go ahead and send the 9c out to Apex too, given how slick it is now. ;)

Will comment more later after a range visit if it's warranted. So far, it seems like a pretty solid upgrade path if you can spare the $$$.

Not sure why your pistol would have brass ejection issues... triple check it's not something else before you look at changing out the extractor... be it ammo, shooting technique (e.g. thumb drag or limp wrist), or whatever. I'm sure the Apex extractor upgrade is a solid piece of hardware, but before spending the change I'd want to be sure that there is an issue with the factory part in the first place? ;)

STI
09-10-2012, 4:43 AM
Not sure why your pistol would have brass ejection issues... triple check it's not something else before you look at changing out the extractor... be it ammo, shooting technique (e.g. thumb drag or limp wrist), or whatever. I'm sure the Apex extractor upgrade is a solid piece of hardware, but before spending the change I'd want to be sure that there is an issue with the factory part in the first place? ;)

I posted a thread when I first got the gun asking if other people have had the same problem. I Googled the problem and it turns out a lot of other people have had the exact same problem and there doesn't seem to be a clear cut answer. Most people were just sending it back to S&W.

Shenaniguns
09-10-2012, 8:29 AM
You can however use the AEK trigger with the DCAEK. The AEK is an aluminum trigger like the FSS trigger but offers a little more take-up than the FSS kit. It gets thrown a lot about trigger kits being compared to the 1911's trigger, but the FSS kit does actually feel like a well tuned 1911 trigger.

Correct! :cool2: