PDA

View Full Version : some vendors wont sell or know about mag rebuids

Darklyte27
09-06-2012, 7:24 AM
A lot of popular vendors wont sell mag rebuilds. I think this should change.
For those who have AR15s there are plenty of premade 10/20 and 10/30 mags and kits for you to build our own.

For the pistols that are SSE and are not on the CA list the mfg dont make 10 rd mags. Im in the situation of trying to get 16 rd mags and rebuild them into 10 rd mags. Out of the 6 out of state vendors some of which are on calguns wont ship them. How do we go about convincing them to sell rebuilds?

gunprofit
09-06-2012, 7:38 AM
I work in a gunshop. Its OK to educate us on product that you want to see on the shelf. Sometimes guys come in and get upset that those of us behind the counter are not as all knowing and passionate about the same things as they are interested in. Any good gunshop loves customer feedback. Especially when it comes to products. Give it a try.

MoVaughn
09-06-2012, 7:38 AM
In my opinion, the way they see it is that it is a very fine line that they can unfortunately cross and be held liable so they think that it is easier to not sell to California. I bought some ar15 mag builds from exilemachine.net. They are in Texas and ship to California. I did not see pistol mag rebuilds.

bill_k_lopez
09-06-2012, 7:40 AM
You can't. We are a minority percentage of their business - the (assumed) risk of being sued or "in trouble" with the State of California DOJ isn't worth it to them compared to the money they are making with 98% of the rest of the country they can do business with, without any wacky restrictions.

FFl's, Gunsmith's & Firearm "Accessory" stores are the best and worst people to ever do business with.

CSACANNONEER
09-06-2012, 7:49 AM
Many are educated about rebuild kits and choose not to sell them. They have the right to run their businesses as they see fit and, while I may not agree with their choice, I firmly support their rights to make that choice.

BTW, exile machine was a CA resident and calgunner long before he moved to TX and started the business. He is a great vendor and a true asset to the CA gun owner's community.

Steyr_223
09-06-2012, 8:01 AM
44mag.com is super Cali friendly. The have pistol, ask and at mags. Hendersondefence, exile machine and copes are also good to go. I have also tried to get other vendore interested in msg kits but they say no because 1) "CA doj" told them not to , so they say 2) not worth their time/money 3) they say it's our fault for living in Cali. 4) their owners/ lawyers told them to play safe and not. This was even after I pointed to threads here, cgf wiki and other vendor sites that do sell may kits..

Bottom line it's their choice who to sell to or not.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dachan
09-06-2012, 9:19 AM
We have to share some of the blame for their reluctance too. The concept of purchasing rebuild kits is obviously being abused by this community, especially wrt handguns. There have been far more rebuild kits sold than the possible number of pre-ban magazines requiring repair or replacement. There are shooters in their twenties claiming to have received magazines upon entering 1st grade. Others trying to say the have one or two of the handful of HS2000 (XD) magazines that entered the country before 2000. There is a thread in the WTS forum right now for group buys of Glock rebuild kits when 10rnd mags are plentiful. We've got other threads hinting to illegally import or manufacture large capacity magazines and wait out the 3yr statue of limitations. It's a wonder that any legit business is willing to sell rebuild kits to us.

Barbarossa
09-06-2012, 9:25 AM
We have to share some of the blame for their reluctance too. The concept of purchasing rebuild kits is obviously being abused by this community, especially with handguns. There have been far more rebuild kits sold than the possible number of pre-ban magazines requiring repair or replacement. There are shooters in their twenties claiming to have received magazines upon entering 1st grade. Others trying to say the have one or two of the handful of HS2000 (XD) magazines that entered the country before 2000. There is a thread in the WTS forum right now for group buys of Glock rebuild kits when 10rnd mags are plentiful. We've got other threads hinting to illegally import or manufacture large capacity magazines and wait out the 3yr statue of limitations. It's a wonder that any legit business is willing to sell rebuild kits to us.

+1

I believe the statute limitations is 5 years no?

luchador768
09-06-2012, 9:34 AM
Dachan, where are you getting your numbers from??? Honestly. You state that there are FAR MORE rebuild kits than pre-bans ever sold. It's fine if you want to pull opinions out of your backside, however you really have no idea what you are talking about.

Lead Waster
09-06-2012, 9:43 AM
Check out Exilemachine.net and 44mag.com, they are very CA friendly and will get you your parts kits. You can write an email to the other vendors if you wish to educate them on parts kits.

Blocking mags is pretty easy. I epoxied in aluminum bar stock, cut to the right size and it is pretty darn permanent. THe problem is that you can no longer remove the follower after blocking. Also, for me, I might have blocked them too tight, so it's a real tight squeeze getting the 10th round in there. Basically, I made myself some 9 round magazines! Doh! If I do it again, I'll give space for 10 and a half so there is a bit more wiggle for the 10th round, but not enough for 11.

Sort of sad to have to block them, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Turo
09-06-2012, 9:46 AM
We have to share some of the blame for their reluctance too. The concept of purchasing rebuild kits is obviously being abused by this community, especially wrt handguns. There have been far more rebuild kits sold than the possible number of pre-ban magazines requiring repair or replacement. There are shooters in their twenties claiming to have received magazines upon entering 1st grade. Others trying to say the have one or two of the handful of HS2000 (XD) magazines that entered the country before 2000. There is a thread in the WTS forum right now for group buys of Glock rebuild kits when 10rnd mags are plentiful. We've got other threads hinting to illegally import or manufacture large capacity magazines and wait out the 3yr statue of limitations. It's a wonder that any legit business is willing to sell rebuild kits to us.

You say that like it's a bad thing that people are ignoring a blatantly unconstitutional law.

Renaissance Redneck
09-06-2012, 9:49 AM
I was at PRK Arms (Fresno, CA) yesterday, and they have a display FULL of high-cap mags, seemingly in their original packages, yet completely disassembled and for sale.

I believe they do some internet/mail-order business. Maybe you could look them up?

CK_32
09-06-2012, 10:06 AM
Yea I ran into this problem when I was shopping for my AR/Glock rebuild its for my uncles old mags he had and some other mags too.

Most just don't want to skirt in the grey area and lose their business. You can e mail them and send them the laws explaining and inform them to just take them appart and ship them off but if they say no what can you do..

But I did find a few spots with really cheap deals but havnt shopped for them since. But they are out there.

Lead Waster
09-06-2012, 10:19 AM

Yes, I believe you are right that many people abuse this. However, many people also DO NOT. I'm one of those. I bought a parts kit and made a 10 round magazine with it. Why? Because 10 rounds magazines for my gun costs $45, but aftermarket parts kits (and I'll refer to them as this as that is what they are for my purpose) are $25, then tack on $5 for a piece of aluminum bar stock from HD, and about $2 for two part epoxy and about 10 minutes of cutting and filing a block.

The 10 rounds mags are expensive because they sell only in a few states (CA for one) so there there is no volume sales.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to be able to buy parts and make 10 round magazines. Some guns don't even have 10 round magazines available!

Not selling the parts kits seems like a reasonable strategy for staying out of trouble but it also ASSUMES WE'RE ALL CROOKS and will assemble them into illegal magazines.

Holding Name 1
09-06-2012, 10:56 AM
Dachan, I agree with you. All you have to due is look at all the threads about this subject to prove that people are desperately trying to skirt around the law. This isn't me pulling stuff out of my *** as another poster mentioned. All you have to do is open your eyes. Luckily there are several businesses that will sell rebuild kits. I don't own Pmags because there are zero parts compatible with pre-2000 mags and feel like its too much of a gray area to bother with.

Fishslayer
09-06-2012, 11:17 AM
BTW, exile machine was a CA resident and calgunner long before he moved to TX and started the business. He is a great vendor and a true asset to the CA gun owner's community.

Yeah, well... still no Ruger 20 round Mini-30 kits. They'll sell ya Pro Mag 10 rounders though... :puke:

GoingQuiet
09-06-2012, 11:50 AM
A lot of popular vendors wont sell mag rebuilds. I think this should change.
For those who have AR15s there are plenty of premade 10/20 and 10/30 mags and kits for you to build our own.

For the pistols that are SSE and are not on the CA list the mfg dont make 10 rd mags. Im in the situation of trying to get 16 rd mags and rebuild them into 10 rd mags. Out of the 6 out of state vendors some of which are on calguns wont ship them. How do we go about convincing them to sell rebuilds?

I'll talk about this a bit.

You think this should change? You'd like to convince them to sell rebuilds?

That's fair, but I will tell you that the price will go up. The biggest thing with CA sales isn't the merchandise, it's time.

As many of you know, I ship to CA frequently. Doing the paperwork on a CA sale vs a sale to a customer in say North Dakota - is more time intensive and it takes away from the time I have to deal with current customers and other things. I'm a one man show so that means I go home late.

If you employ people and are paying them hourly, you've got to pay them to take more time to accommodate CA requirements. Time is money, and if I have people here throwing money at me - it would be bad business for me to overlook that to make sales elsewhere that take more time and earn my enterprise less.

You want to talk about getting them to accommodate?

Money talks.

willerfortheworld
09-06-2012, 12:09 PM
I was at PRK Arms (Fresno, CA) yesterday, and they have a display FULL of high-cap mags, seemingly in their original packages, yet completely disassembled and for sale.

I believe they do some internet/mail-order business. Maybe you could look them up?

Hell ya, great place here in Fresno. They have all the AR/AK goodies :63:

luckystrike
09-06-2012, 12:10 PM

im in my 20s and found a tool box in the desert filled with goodies. you jelly?

Darklyte27
09-06-2012, 1:05 PM
Im getting a XDm thy only make 16rd mags

Palmetto midway has them at 25$
Exhile has them 30.75$

I asked if he would sell at 25$
His response was thats a steal
He only matches if i can find a ca seller selling at that price

I asked if he can meet half way sice i will order 150$ worth of mags

He replied you get a free flashlight

I asked how about free shipping? He replied if you order 308$ worth

So he rather lose a 150$ sale over 10$ on 2 mags

Why im trying to find a place willing to sell two xdm mags for my since i bought my mag blocks

Barbarossa
09-06-2012, 1:09 PM
Can't really blame the guy for telling you to piss up a rope, after you low balled him with an internet offer.

Darklyte27
09-06-2012, 1:24 PM
Can't really blame the guy for telling you to piss up a rope, after you low balled him with an internet offer.

I asked to match not low ball. Low ball would be offering 5$ for his 30.75$ mag

dmmikhail
09-06-2012, 1:55 PM
You can't. We are a minority percentage of their business - the (assumed) risk of being sued or "in trouble" with the State of California DOJ isn't worth it to them compared to the money they are making with 98% of the rest of the country they can do business with, without any wacky restrictions.

FFl's, Gunsmith's & Firearm "Accessory" stores are the best and worst people to ever do business with.

why would you say that? the last percentage I've seen estimated that California constitutes 14% of all firearm sales in the US, I think it would be fair to assume that also means californians consume 14% of firearm accessories. If I had a business and more than a seventh of my customer basis needed special accommodations that dont in any way harm or hinder my business, wouldnt it make sense to try and make said accommodations? These vendors are no different than barrett or the countless online firearm sellers that proudly display "NO SALES TO KALIFORNIA" on their pages. It is not based in fear or any legal restrictions. It is a political statement, the worse kind, a symbolic political statement that makes no political difference. california gun owners are the heretics and adulterers of the 21st century, persecuted by the powers that be and shunned by the rest of the populace because of our "unworthiness."

Oceanbob
09-06-2012, 2:01 PM
Keep in mind that some people buy rebuild kits for use out of State. (legally)

Also, Lonewolf Distributors will send rebuild kits to California. They charge $1 to take the mag apart and bag it.

socalbowhunter
09-06-2012, 2:12 PM
Exile Machine will ship to you and their prices are usually much lower than the LGS. Plus they are a vendor on CGN, so by buying from them, you are in fact supporting CGN.
I will not confirm or deny that I have bought from them on many occasions. ;)

https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/

Spaceghost
09-06-2012, 3:21 PM
Darklyte, you really think his cost is the same as the big guys? He prolly pays 20% more due to less volume.

I don't blame him for not wanting to deal with you. Of course the next time you order you would hassle him again...

Darklyte27
09-07-2012, 6:51 PM
Darklyte, you really think his cost is the same as the big guys? He prolly pays 20% more due to less volume.

I don't blame him for not wanting to deal with you. Of course the next time you order you would hassle him again...

He told me he would match if i could find another vendor willing to ship to CA
offered a free flashlight which i declined * I have plenty of flashlights already* , i asked if there was any free shipping, he said if i ordered 308$ worth.

All I really want is 2 xdm mags, I was willing to spend another 100$ to support him if he was willing to help a calgunner out.

I even asked if he was able to meet me in the middle at 27.50$ which would have just saved me 5$ but that wasnt replied to.

So what i learned is that 5-10$ must be worth a lot today.

No winners with this outcome, win some lose some

Sam
09-07-2012, 6:52 PM
Exile Machine will ship to you and their prices are usually much lower than the LGS. Plus they are a vendor on CGN, so by buying from them, you are in fact supporting CGN.
I will not confirm or deny that I have bought from them on many occasions. ;)

https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/

Exactly. I've used them the last couple of times I needed magazines. It was painless. Ordering magazine rebuild kits shouldn't be an issue.