PDA

View Full Version : Subjective: would you rather...

dung8604
09-06-2012, 7:20 AM
I have about 700 to spend, and I'm in a pickle. I would like to buy either an AR upper received and build my lower (approx 750-800 total cost), or buy a Springfield XD (probably 9mm; 700 could get me the gun and a nice stash of ammo).

I currently have only one firearm, a stag 2t, and I love it. Granted, I don't have much experience with firearms, but the AR is such a fun gun, I love playing with it and trying out new things. On the other hand, I don't have a pistol yet, and I hear the XD is a great pistol. I like the feel of it, and I've only shot the 40 Cal once, but it seems like a nice gun.

Anyways, which would you pick if you were in my position?

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Ducman
09-06-2012, 7:24 AM
Since you already have a rifle, I would get a pistol. just to warn you though, this is just the start. you better start saving money :)

BrassCase
09-06-2012, 7:45 AM
Ducman is right, after 5 buying for pistols in 2 years I've learned to keep a new pistol rainy day fund. You never know what you'll want next. I had been thinking about a Sig and then the Navy 226 MK 25 became available in California and well, one now resides with me !

I did just order a new Larue AR15, but the most I see that area growing for me would be to get an AR10 as well. Pistol ammo is much cheaper, you'll love it so much that you'll be sorry.

SamayouSamurai
09-06-2012, 7:57 AM
I would suggest a Taurus PT92 (Beretta replica with slightly different design). You can pickup a brand new one for about $450. I have put around 2K rounds on my and I have no problem so far. I personally have PT92 AFS (Stainless Steel with Light Rail).

Euphoria526
09-06-2012, 8:10 AM
And of coarse I will say of your getting a pistol, go check out the CZ lineup. Unless your set on a poly gun, then I'd go xd then sig sp2022

bigbas101
09-06-2012, 8:19 AM
I would get the XD, you already have a rifle and heading to the range with both will make for a better time in my opinion. XD is a great gun too!

dung8604
09-06-2012, 8:19 AM
Thanks, guys I think in set on a pistol, but now I don't know which one to get lol. I still think the xd is my number one, I like the 1911s as well. Can you guys list your top 3 handguns and why?

PS, I do not like glocks. I know I know, I'm weird, but the thing just does not feel good in my hand.

Pps, please keep in mind my budget! I'm thinking 500-600 for the gun, but may be willing to go up to 700 if there's one that I really really like

Euphoria526
09-06-2012, 8:34 AM
Top3?
1) CZ 75b SA
2) xd9
3)baretta 92fs or if your set on poly, then a sp2022

DRAB_81
09-06-2012, 8:36 AM
I think you're making the better choice by going with a pistol at this point. That being said, never judge a pistol by how it feels at the gun counter. I have have fallen in love with handguns at the counter, and then absolutely hated them once I actually shot them. I have also handled & hated guns at the counter, and then completely changed my mind after shooting them. Go rent/borrow atleast 3 guns you're considering, and then decide what shoots best for you.

whipkiller
09-06-2012, 8:39 AM
Thanks, guys I think in set on a pistol, but now I don't know which one to get lol. I still think the xd is my number one, I like the 1911s as well. Can you guys list your top 3 handguns and why?

PS, I do not like glocks. I know I know, I'm weird, but the thing just does not feel good in my hand.

Pps, please keep in mind my budget! I'm thinking 500-600 for the gun, but may be willing to go up to 700 if there's one that I really really like

I'm the same way, I've tried to like them to no avail. They just don't feel right for me.

I absolutely LOVE my CZ SP-01; great ergonomics, very accurate, and within your budget (if you can find one)

It is quite a bit heavier though, if you're looking at polymer pistols. I personally like the weight.

Try and rent all the ones you're considering before making your decision.

voiceofreason
09-06-2012, 8:52 AM
LaRue... :)

jessegpresley
09-06-2012, 8:59 AM
Nothing less satisfying than a fixed 10 round mag in an AR.

J.D.Allen
09-06-2012, 9:09 AM
Top3?
1) CZ 75b SA
2) xd9
3)baretta 92fs or if your set on poly, then a sp2022

I would say CZ 75B SA number one, and if he's set on a poly I would say check out the CZ P07 Duty. Nice gun.

HPGunner
09-06-2012, 9:13 AM
For handguns, other than 1911's and revolvers I only have three other platforms in the safe; Glock, CZ, and Hi-Power. I love the Hi-power, but for your budget, I'd look into CZ or a basic or used 1911.

Capybara
09-06-2012, 9:21 AM
1. I too would suggest the CZ75 SP-01, I love mine.
2. Glocks feel terrible at the gun shop counter. Go shoot one, it is a none issue, they feel fine when you shoot them and are good. But like the Springfield, they are the Ford Taurus/Chevy Malibu of handguns, generic, reliable, nondescript.

To me, the Glocks, Springfields, etc. are all fine guns but jeez, they are about as plain vanilla as you can get. The CZs, Berettas, FNH, etc are at least interesting and every other person on the firing line at the range will not be shooting one.

dung8604
09-06-2012, 9:53 AM
Thanks for the replies, everyone, I think I'm going to see if my local range has the cz to rent. Maybe I will compare it side by side with the xd9. Keep those top 3s coming!

Lead Waster
09-06-2012, 10:08 AM
Just a note on "that gun doesn't feel good in my hands". This is generally when people hold a gun in ONE hand. Try holding it in a thumbs forward grip with two hands and you'll see the "terrible grip angle" and "doesn't fit" is less relevant. Just a thought. Ergos ARE important, but you might find that you can shoot really well with something that originally feels awkward. My point being not to dismiss a "weird feeling" gun until you shoot it.

Having said that, my CZ-75 SA with Hogue rubber grips not only feels like it is part of my hand, but also drives tacks. That's with one hand OR two hands. :p But that's just due to sheer awesomeness of the 75 SA.

damngato
09-06-2012, 10:15 AM
I would go for a used 1911, lots of fun to shoot and you can learn to do most everything on them by yourself. Just got a SIG 1911 a love it. Bought a SP2022 also recently and like it a lot but not as much as the 1911. But for the price it's a nice little gun too. I guess my order would go 1911, Beretta 92FS, Sig SP2022

INFAMOUS762X39
09-06-2012, 10:32 AM
Your Budget is 700$? So your interested in a Polymer Frame, What Caliber interest you?...I would do hw on a M&P 9mm 499$ Ammo is cheap. I Recently bought a Glock 19 for the hell of it, hated at first, now I am starting to adjust/learn and I like it much more over time.

If I was spending your $. I would buy a AK Pistol. Ammo is cheap as 9mm, sometimes even cheaper. That's just me.

toby77
09-06-2012, 10:38 AM
I say go ahead get a pistol this time since you already have a rifle. Instead of focusing on the XD alone, take a look at used Sigs or the S&W M&P or even a Glock.

daybreak
09-06-2012, 10:51 AM
buy a pistol but not necessarily an XD. I liked mine a lot, but I love my CZs. There's a reason they've exploded in popularity (they make you a better lover).