PDA

View Full Version : Glock 17 Mod Ideas??

TheBerryMan
09-05-2012, 7:29 PM
I just purchased a Glock17 (wait period) that i plan to use in shooting leagues. Im a decent shot. Always been more so of a hunter and now im getting into handguns. Any ideas of what parts/mods for my glock 17? Looking to eventually shoot in my local IDPA and USPSA leagues.

Anti-Hero
09-05-2012, 7:42 PM
LEAVE IT ALONE is the best advice you're going to get.

becxltoo984
09-05-2012, 8:04 PM
Attend a few matchs and see what others are doing .

gatesbox
09-05-2012, 8:06 PM
Bury it in the backyard for another ten days, that always seem to make them work better.

DFence
09-05-2012, 8:13 PM
Change the sights out and shoot it. Done!

johnny_boy02
09-05-2012, 8:17 PM
Night sights are the only thing I do to my Glocks. Spend your money on a few extra magazines and ammo.

DRAB_81
09-05-2012, 8:21 PM
1. Get whatever sights you like (Sevigny Competition)
2. Have atleast 6 mags (3 minimum for IDPA, 6 for USPSA Production)
3. Some kind of grip enhancement (grip tape, stippling)
4. Kydex holster (Uncle Mikes Paddle or Blade Tech DOH)
5. Mag Pouches (2 for IDPA, 5 for USPSA)
6. Wilderness Instructor Belt (polymer lined)

Brandon04GT
09-05-2012, 8:34 PM
Try the 25c trigger job mod?

Virus55
09-05-2012, 8:51 PM
i like having the extended slide release on my glock 22, you might too?

DRAB_81
09-05-2012, 8:52 PM
You can if you want, but it's not all that big of an improvement. Put atleast 1000rds through it, learn how to run it with the stock trigger, and then decide if you want to screw around with it. All my Glocks have stock triggers, including the ones I use in USPSA.

Sam
09-05-2012, 8:57 PM
Here are a few ideas:

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?86-What-I-do-to-my-Glocks-and-Why&highlight=grip+plug

Hawkstp
09-05-2012, 9:07 PM
Extended mag and slide release. Very glad I have put those on. Then lots of ammo.

Jimmy310
09-05-2012, 9:35 PM
Extended mag and slide release. Very glad I have put those on. Then lots of ammo.

I like these alot. I also have trijicon nightsights on both of my glocks. I also like the 3.5 pound trigger connector.

scglock
09-05-2012, 10:13 PM
I'm not a fan of the extended slide release. My grip has issues even with the standard release and causes my slide to not lock back some times. Gotta work on that. As far as mod ideas, I'd just change out the sights, 25c trigger job if you want (though putting a couple thousand rounds through it does the same thing), and at most a 3.5 lb connector. Definitely shoot it stock first, then you'll know what you want to change if anything at all

CK_32
09-05-2012, 10:14 PM
Only thing you should ever touch on a glock is night sights and a 3.5 ghost.

THAT IS IT!!!

All that other mumbo jumbo is a waste of money and wont contribute to anything but feeling like a ninja at the range.

And mags.. Night sights/Ghost/Mags and be done.

far from tactical
09-06-2012, 12:09 AM
[QUOTE=CK_32;9273603]Only thing you should ever touch on a glock is night sights and a 3.5 ghost.

THAT IS IT!!!

+ 1

1911Operator
09-06-2012, 12:14 AM
Change the sights out and shoot it. Done!

:cool2: and maybe some trigger work, 3.5 connector? thats prob all you need.

Sarena
09-06-2012, 12:50 AM
Glock 17 is a perfect gun, but i will suggest you to take part in the game, and see which guns other shooters are using.

LAKings22
09-06-2012, 3:26 AM
I added night sights on my G19 and everything else works great. Stock trigger is starting to feel better or it's just me getting better with it.

HighLander51
09-06-2012, 5:51 AM
Better sights, extra mags, good belt and holster. Then take competition shooting lessons. You may think you are a decent shot, but these matches are action pistol and running gun, not just shooting a static target from a bench. Contact the match director before you show up, many clubs require an orientation before shooting a match.

Night sights are not an advantage in competition, as usual, lots of advice from those that have never shot an IDPA or USPSA match.

Fan1911
09-06-2012, 5:58 AM
Ghost Ultimate 3.5 pound trigger kit with all springs. Then night sights

TheBerryMan
09-06-2012, 8:18 AM
Thanks everyone. I am a decent shot but thats standing. I think ammo and mags would be the best investment. At least until i feel comfortable enough to start making changes if i even make any. I will most likely get a ghost 3lb connector, Truglo TFO sights, decal grip (rubber), extended mag release.

sirgiles
09-06-2012, 8:51 AM
http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu119/sirgiles_photo/G3525252520Open1.jpg

http://glock.pro/competition/4155-building-open-division-glock.html

gorenut
09-06-2012, 9:08 AM
The only thing that really needs to be changed in my opinion are the sights.

Mine however also has the (-) connector paired with the NY1 spring. I just feel this combination gives a more positive feedback throughout the entire trigger pull.

I also have the GripForce beavertail adapter. Nothing wrong with the grip angle or anything.. but I have semi-large palms and having it really fills my hand better. Finally, extended mag release. Internals as polished up as well.

CalTeacher
09-06-2012, 9:43 AM
Get some better sights. I prefer the Sevigny competition set with the blacked out rear and fiber optic front. Get a good holster and belt, along with some extra mags and save the rest of the money for ammo and match entry fees. This is all you need to become a better shooter.

voiceofreason
09-06-2012, 9:58 AM
Butt plug
+
Heinie straight eight LEDGE sights

I'd get the wider rear notch

Heinie installs them himself if you ship the slide

I'm okay with the stock trigger and don't use the slide release.

I d

hi_desert
09-06-2012, 12:39 PM
Only thing you should ever touch on a glock is night sights and a 3.5 ghost.

THAT IS IT!!!

All that other mumbo jumbo is a waste of money and wont contribute to anything but feeling like a ninja at the range.

And mags.. Night sights/Ghost/Mags and be done.

I disagree, I run aftermarket barrels in all of my Glocks for the tighter chambers. The brass is much easier to resize vs the guppies that come out of stock barrels.

TheBerryMan
09-06-2012, 12:51 PM
Thanks everyone for the ideas. Whats everyones best opinions on the following:
-aftermarket barrel
-holster
-sights

voiceofreason
09-06-2012, 1:15 PM
Range holster: safariland 6377

Raven if you must do kydex. Really are the best of all kydex I've ever held/used.
I don't like kydex overall

Owb kydex doesnt conceal at all for me. Okay for range work

I like their double mag pouch with MD cut for range/open carry though. My fave pouch for range

TT Gunleather for concealed carry. Mike's special is very good for concealment. The Solo is an established design, though I've never used one

Call Tim and ask him for his rec for your purpose/body type

IWB double mag pouch in. V shape looks GTG

Kramer IWB #3 is good if u like that style, doesnt conceal as well, solidly durable and holds up to years of abuse

OWB doesn't conceal well for me in hot weather, but TT's pancake OWB looks nice.

Galco and Desantis stuff is good, but overall not as durable.

Hybrid Comptac MTAC concealed well, but reholstering one hand was hit or miss

CK_32
09-06-2012, 2:26 PM
I disagree, I run aftermarket barrels in all of my Glocks for the tighter chambers. The brass is much easier to resize vs the guppies that come out of stock barrels.

I don't think the OP needs to gut his 17 while it's still in DROS. Probably his first hand gun so I think that might be a little much before he even shoots it.

Agreed on the perks but not a must by any means.

DRAB_81
09-06-2012, 2:43 PM
-aftermarket barrel
-holster
-sights

1. No. But if you're absolutely stuck on it, KKM or Storm Lake.
2. Comp Tac Belt or Paddle, Blade Tech DOH or Uncle Mikes Size 21 Paddle
3. Sevigny Competition

HighLander51
09-06-2012, 3:52 PM
-aftermarket barrel
-holster
-sights

You can put whatever you want on your Glock, but if you are talking about IDPA and USPSA competition you don't need anything of that. There is way, way, way more to shooting competition than piling on modifications and that starts with the basics of shooting, stance, grip, sight picture and trigger control.

You do need a good belt, holster, mag pouches and sights. I have been running a Wilderness Tactical Original Instructors Belt (5 stitch) and Blade Tech Straight Drop Laminate OWB holster (no longer made) since 1998. I use Blade Tech single mag pouches, and my competition guns are a mixture of Heines black on black, and Heine rears with Dawson fiber optic fronts. If you really want to spend extra money, get electric ears. Peltor Tac 6's are $55 on Amazon. Then take competition shooting lessons. A 3.5lb connector may take the trigger pull a little bit, but not to 3.5lbs. If you do put one in, use a drop in OEM or Scherer, not a fitted Ghost. Yes, I do have aftermarket barrels on all my stuff, but that was match product

Two of my competition Glocks on the outside,

http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/gallery/image35447.jpg

Warren wide cut rear, Heine front

http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/gallery/image35847.jpg

2 more Open guns

http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/gallery/image34614.jpg

dmmikhail
09-06-2012, 3:58 PM
I just purchased a Glock17 (wait period) that i plan to use in shooting leagues. Im a decent shot. Always been more so of a hunter and now im getting into handguns. Any ideas of what parts/mods for my glock 17? Looking to eventually shoot in my local IDPA and USPSA leagues.

one of the best upgrades you can do is install a ghost rocket connector to your trigger group. makes the pull much smoother and cleaner as well as greatly reducing the reset. as for sights, a nice fiber optic front makes a huge difference. If you'll be using for home defense make sure you get a good light to attach onto your pistol.

TheBerryMan
09-06-2012, 4:03 PM
Thanks for the advice. This will be my third pistol. I shoot often however im no pro. Put it this way..you wouldnt want to break into my house. I just need a good hobby since im graduating soon and will actually have a nice check coming in.

Dhena81
09-06-2012, 7:34 PM
For me and my gen 4 17 it was besides the obvious ammo

1. Trijicon Hd's
2. Already had 10 magazines
3. Grip force adapter I get slide bite
4. Vickers magazine release
5. Vickers slide stop
6. .25 trigger job

I don't like using non OEM trigger components and don't use butt plugs because if you've ever stripped your gun you can see their is a purpose for the hole its a drain for water or debris.

EJkSQgz7828

InGrAM
09-06-2012, 7:42 PM
Cut the frame and slide into fourths, make a bonfire in your backyard and throw the pieces into it. ;)

voiceofreason
09-06-2012, 8:09 PM
I don't like using non OEM trigger components and don't use butt plugs because if you've ever stripped your gun you can see their is a purpose for the hole its a drain for water or debris.

True. Very true.

That same drain for water or debris also ALLOWS the same to go UP the same hole. Hence the butt plug.

That said, I loaned the one I was given as a gift to someone to try out to see if he wanted to get one for himself. I never saw him again, so I have been running without one for years.

My gun runs well with and without. No issues either way. I'd prefer to run one next time I see one on sale.

For a barrel, I'd go with this one for sure (I've wanted one for a while now):

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Match-Grade-Barrel-9mm-Glock-17-449-Stainless/productinfo/379/

voiceofreason
09-06-2012, 8:15 PM
for a brand new gun, swab out the barrel and put a few hundred downrange with it first before messing with it

but definitely change out the sights at some point. Glock factory sights have a nice design to them for rough sighting, but they are little plastic pieces that don't stay on very well

I've seen them fall off before and once you've held them in your hand, you'll know that they are on par with Legos as far as build quality.

for a defense gun:
remember that fiber optics sometimes fall out, and if used in conjunction with a flashlight... the optic accepts light from the TOP, whereas the flashlight is usually on the side or below the optic

I like night sights personally. okay, A LOT.

but a flashlight + gun is FAR better than a gun with night sights alone

Fiber Optics are awesome in daylight. Avoid the VTAC sights.

Squidward
09-06-2012, 8:28 PM
No after-market barrel; a waste of $$ for most people not competing.

Holsters: OWB I like the Glock Sport holster; it works fine. Second is the Raven Concealment if you want to spend more money. IWB: Crossbreed.

Sights are one of those personal items that are hard to recommend. I like the stock sights, Warren Tactical, the XS big dot and Trijicon night sights.

voiceofreason
09-06-2012, 8:52 PM
No after-market barrel; a waste of $$ for most people not competing.

Holsters: OWB I like the Glock Sport holster; it works fine. Second is the Raven Concealment if you want to spend more money. IWB: Crossbreed.

Sights are one of those personal items that are hard to recommend. I like the stock sights, Warren Tactical, the XS big dot and Trijicon night sights.

If using a Glock Sport Holster... spray the inside with some cooking spray and lightly wipe down with a paper towel

repeat every 50 or so draws

otherwise you may have a ***** of a time getting the gun out of the holster when drawing

also... they come in more than one size

Dhena81
09-06-2012, 11:42 PM
for a brand new gun, swab out the barrel and put a few hundred downrange with it first before messing with it

but definitely change out the sights at some point. Glock factory sights have a nice design to them for rough sighting, but they are little plastic pieces that don't stay on very well

I've seen them fall off before and once you've held them in your hand, you'll know that they are on par with Legos as far as build quality.

for a defense gun:
remember that fiber optics sometimes fall out, and if used in conjunction with a flashlight... the optic accepts light from the TOP, whereas the flashlight is usually on the side or below the optic

I like night sights personally. okay, A LOT.

but a flashlight + gun is FAR better than a gun with night sights alone

Fiber Optics are awesome in daylight. Avoid the VTAC sights.

I've never used a plug what do people even use them for anyways I guess I don't get it.

Night sights should really be called dusk sights a flashlight is a must. When illuminated it cancels out the tritium.

voiceofreason
09-07-2012, 6:50 AM
I've never used a plug what do people even use them for anyways I guess I don't get it.

Night sights should really be called dusk sights a flashlight is a must. When illuminated it cancels out the tritium.

Plug just keeps dirt/debris from getting INTO your gun through the backstrap where there is an opening. Not really applicable if you're not in a dirty environment.

If you ever get to do any low light shooting, being able to line up your sights either precisely or roughly BEFORE lighting up the target... the difference is huge for me.

Using standard sights, I took extra time to get my gun ONTO the target. Maybe I'm just less skilled, but I don't intuitively point my gun accurately without sights.

That extra second or more may not matter to most people, but it seems like an eternity to me.

Night sights are by no means a "must have", like a light source, but it does make things easier IMO.

Like having your light attached to your pistol, it's a nice luxury, but by no means required.

Long guns... maybe.

When I learned point shooting many moons ago, I learned that I struggled to make A zone hits out past 5 yards using that method.

CalTeacher
09-07-2012, 9:52 AM
I see a lot of people recommending night sights, when the OP clearly stated that this gun would be used for competition. Night sights will not be beneficial compared to a good set of competition sights (like Sevigny's).

voiceofreason
09-07-2012, 9:57 AM
I see a lot of people recommending night sights, when the OP clearly stated that this gun would be used for competition. Night sights will not be beneficial compared to a good set of competition sights (like Sevigny's).

Yes. :rolleyes:

Dhena81
09-07-2012, 10:19 AM

:kest:

Plug just keeps dirt/debris from getting INTO your gun through the backstrap where there is an opening. Not really applicable if you're not in a dirty environment.

If you ever get to do any low light shooting, being able to line up your sights either precisely or roughly BEFORE lighting up the target... the difference is huge for me.

Using standard sights, I took extra time to get my gun ONTO the target. Maybe I'm just less skilled, but I don't intuitively point my gun accurately without sights.

That extra second or more may not matter to most people, but it seems like an eternity to me.

Night sights are by no means a "must have", like a light source, but it does make things easier IMO.

Like having your light attached to your pistol, it's a nice luxury, but by no means required.

Long guns... maybe.

When I learned point shooting many moons ago, I learned that I struggled to make A zone hits out past 5 yards using that method.

I've done low light shooting on my own and have taken a surefire low light class. I guess it depends on how dark your talking about if you don't know where your target is your going to have to light it up first. I'm not arguing with you BTW.

09-07-2012, 10:24 AM
The only 2 or 3 mods I would ( I did :) )do are

1)Sights (I have XS 24/7's love them)
2)Extended Slide Release (Makes it sooo much easier to release the slide)
3)Extended Magazine Relase (Ive sanded the edges and its perfect)

Other then that, pick up some extra parts/spares (recoil spring, extractor, ect.)

TheBerryMan
09-07-2012, 10:43 AM
Im leaning towards these sights right now. Thoughts??

Sevigny Competition Rear, Fiber Optic Front
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=24483/Product/TACTICAL-SERIES-SIGHT-SET-for-GLOCK-reg-

CalTeacher
09-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Im leaning towards these sights right now. Thoughts??

Sevigny Competition Rear, Fiber Optic Front
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=24483/Product/TACTICAL-SERIES-SIGHT-SET-for-GLOCK-reg-

Yes. Get those.

CalTeacher
09-07-2012, 12:27 PM
Yes. :rolleyes:

Why roll eyes at that suggestion? Or, perhaps I just don't get your humor.

Sam
09-07-2012, 5:09 PM

I've installed them on my Glocks because I can reload a little quicker with them installed. I've found I have a tendency to get the magazine caught up in that channel under speed.

voiceofreason
09-09-2012, 4:56 AM

No humor or sarcasm intended. Meant and used as less of a "rolling eyes like a bored teenager" and more like a "doh".

Just an admission that I skimmed the OP along with the rest of the thread and didn't catch that glaringly obvious and important part regarding the purpose of this particular gun. :rolleyes:

CalTeacher
09-09-2012, 7:25 AM
No humor or sarcasm intended. Meant and used as less of a "rolling eyes like a bored teenager" and more like a "doh".

Just an admission that I skimmed the OP along with the rest of the thread and didn't catch that glaringly obvious and important part regarding the purpose of this particular gun. :rolleyes:

Ha! That makes sense. I am admittedly bad at picking up on someones tone over the internets.

Although trijicon night sights are great for defensive guns. I have them on all my carry flocks.

kentactic
09-09-2012, 7:39 AM
Just try to avoid silly mods like bigger takedown lever and slide locks. Both are things you DONT want to come in contact with while shooting the pistol so making them bigger is just steps in the wrong direction.

Shoot it and decide what it NEEDS not what you want to do to it. I think youll find it needs very little.

TheBerryMan
09-11-2012, 8:58 PM
Only thing i can think that i would need are some better sights. other than that mags and ALOT of ammo lol

Tee Why
09-12-2012, 1:11 PM
One word, Chrome!!!
Here you go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3qaXn5Ulgs

Grumpyoldretiredcop
09-12-2012, 10:23 PM
The only mods that are on my USPSA Production G17 are Trijicon TFO sights, Glock minus connector and low-profile grip plug. I detail strip and perform the armorer checklist on the pistol semi-annually and have not found any buildup of dirt or debris caused by the plug. If anything, it's remarkably clean inside the frame.

random name
09-12-2012, 11:16 PM
glock and mortar then high point mortar glock and mortar....best retaining wall system ever, and a life time warranty